TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jocelyn. Offline
Now fight.
I've been here a while

Name: Joce

Exotic Animals Loose in Ohio - October 20th 2011, 06:31 PM

Warning, photos may be disturbing: http://abcnews.go.com/US/zanesville-...ry?id=14767017

Long story short, a man convicted at least once of animal cruelty commits suicide after setting free numerous exotic animals he kept on his property. Deputies were then forced to shoot animals on sight to avoid them causing harm to people in the surrounding areas. A total of 49 animals were slaughtered, including 18 Bengal tigers, 17 lions, 6 black bears, two grizzlies, three mountain lions, 2 wolves and a baboon.

One monkey is still considered missing, but is believed to have been killed and eaten by one of the other animals.

A grizzly, three leopards and two monkey left in their cages were transported to the local zoo.

Some are calling this a massacre and that more should have been done to save these (some which are rare) animals. Others are saying it was necessary for the safety of the public. Any thoughts or opinions?

When reality is a prison, your mind can set you free.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Exotic Animals Loose in Ohio - October 20th 2011, 07:07 PM

Much as the killing of this many wild animals, and particularly rare ones such as the Bengal tigers, is a horrific event, unfortunately in these circumstances I cannot see what else the law enforcement agencies could have done. It would have been preferable to sedate the animals, certainly, but that is not a spur of the moment matter (calculating the correct level of sedative to be used and preparing it could have taken nearly an hour for that many animals), and with the animals being in such close proximity to other people (and animals) sometimes the difficult decision has to be made to put them down rather than risk people being killed. These were still wild animals at the end of the day, some of which were highly dangerous. In particular, given many of the animals were in poor conditions before their release, they may well have been more aggressive than usual, or indeed in such poor condition themselves that this was the most humane course of action available. Certainly, the fact that other animals have been transferred to a zoo would suggest a "massacre" was not the intention of law enforcement, as would their own description of the need to do this as "senseless". The most pressing question in my mind is how such a person was allowed to own such animals in the first place, as it is ultimately his actions that have caused their deaths.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Jocelyn. Offline
Now fight.
I've been here a while

Name: Joce

Re: Exotic Animals Loose in Ohio - October 20th 2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005 View Post
The most pressing question in my mind is how such a person was allowed to own such animals in the first place, as it is ultimately his actions that have caused their deaths.
Apparently there are no laws regulating the ownership and sale of exotic animals in Ohio. The previous governor had a statewide ban on buying and selling them, which the current governor let lapse. Jack Hanna, the Columbus Zoo's director, is working with the governor to get new regulations in place.

I don't think those people would have been calling it senseless and a massacre if they had opened their garage door to a Herpes infected monkey or Bengal tiger hanging out in their driveway.

When reality is a prison, your mind can set you free.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
Our life is what we make it
I've been here a while

Name: Nick (Or Nico)

Re: Exotic Animals Loose in Ohio - October 20th 2011, 08:26 PM

Very sad story, but law enforcement did what it had to do to protect the public. From some reports on the news, some of the animals were able to be tranquilized and recaptured. I agree that new regulations should be put in place.

Here's a fun fact about one of the craziest and idiotic of the responses to the event: Rev. Pat Robertson of the T.V. show 700 Club, said that God released the animals to seek out and bite gay people. He also told everyone that so long as you weren't gay, the animals wouldn't bite you, so there was no reason to stay inside.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Exotic Animals Loose in Ohio - October 20th 2011, 10:57 PM

I think they managed to recapture about 8 of the animals and the Cincinatti zoo has taken them in. It's true that there are no laws regulating the ownership of exotic animals in Ohio and a few other states. We also have the weakest animal cruelty laws in the country. There is of course a huge push now to put regulations in place. It's sad that this had to happen for the lack of laws to get attention. I'm not sure where I stand on the killing of the animals, if they had to be killed either way then it would've been better to tranquilize them, but sometimes that just isn't possible. If there was a way to capture them without killing them, that would've been the best option, but I'm sure law enforcement did what they felt they had to do, but that doesn't mean that it sits well with them. No one should be allowed to own exotic animals end of story, they should only be in zoos if they're going to be in captivity at all.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Exotic Animals Loose in Ohio - October 21st 2011, 01:53 AM

I would usually blame someone who killed an exotic animal but in this case, the killings were justified. I do think there should've been more tranquilizer guns with potent tranquilizer darts but if there were only a few limited to a few vets, that's something out of the hands of law enforcement so again I cant blame them for that. It saddens me the officers did this but it had to be done and it's not like they could simply taser or pepper spray a tiger hoping the animal would stop immediately. The only good things that came out of this are hopefully laws will be put in place restricting ownership of exotic animals and the owner is dead. If he wasn't dead and the exotic animals were not killed, I'd say send them out on him.

The article is very brief but if he was warned for 10 years with little effort made to arrest him, that's pretty poor performance on the law enforcement's side. Surely he should have been arrested more or had inspections of the animals resulting in their removal from his property. However, I suppose much of this is due to no laws preventing ownership of exotic animals.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Exotic Animals Loose in Ohio - October 21st 2011, 03:34 PM

Yeah, I mean if there are no laws then they can't really arrest him because his defense would be that there were no laws against it. No one is happy about the way this had to happen, but what's done is done. They're already talking about changing the laws so that people who already have animals can keep them with the permits they have and be watched more closely and anyone who wants to get an exotic animal has to have a permit and at least 2 years of experience caring for the type of animal they plan to take in. I still don't like it, but it's better than nothing I guess.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Fabrication Offline
This Time I'll Make You Proud.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Re: Exotic Animals Loose in Ohio - October 22nd 2011, 03:04 AM

As long as the killings of the animals were to protect others safety and to stop them from reproducing (making the job of getting rid of the exotic animals tougher), I have no problem with it.
And it's sad that the man decided to take his life. But I would prefer those animals to be in a zoo, not some random man's backyard.

"..And if you're perusing the social media networks, I urge you to keep your fucking opinions to yourself. If you're going ruin someone's day, ruin your own."
- Bert McCracken

Closed Thread