TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 21st 2011, 03:08 AM

I'm not sure if this has been debated before on here or not, but this was recently discussed in my argumentation class.

Should birth control be provided to junior high & high school students at their schools? Do you think teen pregnancy numbers would go down?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Maeve

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 21st 2011, 03:14 AM

I think teenage accidental pregnancies would go down if such a thing was implemented.

I don't think it should be given in schools, though some school have clinics (not just a school nurse) that might be an appropriate location to give such things out.

I just sort of think that medicine should be given to people at pharmacies with a prescription from a doctor, not handed out at public school.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 21st 2011, 03:38 AM

I think the birth control pill should be given by a doctor that prescribes it at a pharmacy or something similar. Although, giving out condoms in schools would be just as beneficial, yes?

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 21st 2011, 03:45 AM

Birth control education should be given but the actual medications should not be handed out by a school, they should be handed out by a doctor. Handing out condoms, lube, handcuffs, rope, ball and a list of kinky positions are all fine and don't need a doctor for that. If a teen couple want to have a baby, then it doesn't matter if you super-glue birth control pills and condoms to their thighs, they'll still get pregnant. However, accidental pregnancies may go down depending on the availability of the birth control devices. Ideally, the teens and their parents should be educated and be more willing to discuss sexual topics without facing punishment. It doesn't matter if a clinic is next to the school, the teens probably will need parental permission or the parents will eventually be made aware, so rather than hiding behind their backs and surprising them with, "hey dad, I fucked a chick at school and now she's pregnant, thought I'd let you know, now I'll go up to my room and do my homework" or, "hey mom, I went out with this guy and long story short, I'm pregnant". Together, the parents and teen can figure the situation out for the better.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 21st 2011, 04:33 AM

If it doesn't cost the government or tax payers any money to provide free birth control to high school students then I don't see why not. Unfortunately, in order to provide students with free birth control...someone's gotta pay for it. I sure as hell am not gonna support giving kids free birth control using my tax money; I was provided something free when I was in high school and that's called responsibility.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 21st 2011, 04:43 AM

Maybe a clinic to go around once a months or so to high schools would be a good idea?
Our school nurse used to give out condoms free if you asked her, but not the pill.

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 21st 2011, 05:03 AM

I think people in high school should have easier access to birth control, but I'm not sure handing it out would be safe. School nurses don't have the ability to write prescriptions, and there could be allergy risks. Condoms should be handed out though, no question. But before that, we need to teach teens how to actually put one on, which most do not know how to do, even if they think they do. So...not sure how helpful that would be either.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 21st 2011, 05:34 AM

Honestly, I've never really liked the idea of free birth control. I just feel like if you are responsible enough to have sex, then you should be responsible enough to pay for it yourself. People have to pay for food, toilet paper, soap, feminine hygiene products etc. all of which are more essential than birth control, so why shouldn't people have to pay for birth control?

My pill costs $15 for four months worth. Any student should be able to afford that. Condoms are also relatively inexpensive, but I can't remember the exact price. So I have a hard time believing that there are a lot of unwanted pregnancies because birth control costs too much. It's also really easy to get. You can get condoms from any supermarket and you just need to visit your usual doctor to get a prescription for the pill.

If people aren't using birth control, it's because (for whatever stupid reason) they don't want to. So giving out free birth control isn't going to make them use it.

By the way, this post is pretty Australia-specific. I know that the contraceptive pill is often more expensive in other countries (though I don't understand why...).

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Kyeto-X Offline
Angel without a Halo
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Will

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 21st 2011, 07:01 AM

I definitely think that education about proper birth control should be given, but an actual hormonal birth control should still be given out by a licensed doctor. However, you should still be able to point to the doctors office and say, "SEE!!! IN HERE!!! EFFECTIVE BIRTH CONTROL!!!1 COME AND GET IT!!!"

I think proper education is more important then anything else. Handing out the tools to prevent pregnancy is one thing. Teaching teenagers about how/when to use them, and also teaching them about safe sexual and romantic relationships is a more effective course to preventing teen pregnancy. That being said, the social/emotional part should be taught by the parents ideally. (Ideally, ALL of this should be taught by parents)

However, there are some parents whose chose of sex education is bitch slapping there teens with a biology textbook and telling them that Sex is evil. Someone has to step up and make sure that this universal phenomena is universally taught.

"One of the things I regret the most of being able to imagine anything,
is having to fear nothing"

"Realty is a lot more malleable then most people think.
They just refuse to believe that they can do anything about it."

"If a simple electron has a small,
but nonzero chance of doing the impossible,
what is stopping us from doing the same thing?"

-Wise Sayings from a Raving Lunatic
Follow me and my new book on Facebook!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Kyeto-X 
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 21st 2011, 07:21 AM

Not the government's job or responsibility to be doing this. Waste of my tax money, if they want sex to bad, then they can buy the condoms.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 21st 2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
If it doesn't cost the government or tax payers any money to provide free birth control to high school students then I don't see why not. Unfortunately, in order to provide students with free birth control...someone's gotta pay for it. I sure as hell am not gonna support giving kids free birth control using my tax money; I was provided something free when I was in high school and that's called responsibility.
While I don't think it would be a good idea for medical reasons, the whole "Not on my tax dollar!!1!" attitutde really baffles me. If you wouldn't support lowering the rate of teen pragnancy, what in the hell would you support? Thinking it won't work is one thing, but simply refusing to support a good public goal because of the miniscule difference it would make to your bottom line - and fess up, it would be a matter of cents - seems downright selfish to me.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 21st 2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xujhan View Post
While I don't think it would be a good idea for medical reasons, the whole "Not on my tax dollar!!1!" attitutde really baffles me. If you wouldn't support lowering the rate of teen pragnancy, what in the hell would you support? Thinking it won't work is one thing, but simply refusing to support a good public goal because of the miniscule difference it would make to your bottom line - and fess up, it would be a matter of cents - seems downright selfish to me.
Because it's not our job or responsibility to provide birth control for other people. It doesn't matter if it's to end genocide, world hunger, aids, etc. It's not our job.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 21st 2011, 12:48 PM

I think the attitude some people have of:

"It has nothing to do with me"

Simply shows lack of intelligence. You obviously totally fail to understand that if everyone behaved like this we'd all probably be dead. You live in society, you're part of it, and everything that goes on in it, affects you, and you affect it.

The least you can do is at least try to have a positive impact rather than make things worse, even if you think "hey it's just me, I look after myself and who gives a shit 'cos it makes no difference when there are 7 billion others".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
Because it's not our job or responsibility to provide birth control for other people. It doesn't matter if it's to end genocide, world hunger, aids, etc. It's not our job.
It's just as much your job to pay taxes which pay for other people's education, health service, cleaning the streets (which other people use) etc. Why not just live on a desert island all by yourself in that case?

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; October 21st 2011 at 12:58 PM.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 21st 2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDF View Post
...if everyone behaved like this we'd all probably be dead...
Thinking it through a little... we probably wouldn't all be dead. No one would join the army, no one would do anything for anyone else, everyone would mind their own, no joint, larger cause to fight for, no wars. We'd probably be in the stone age instead. It's a difficult scenario for me to simulate in my head, because I'm just incapable of thinking like that.

Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; October 21st 2011 at 04:46 PM.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 21st 2011, 02:31 PM

I'd have to say, I would have missed a LOT less school in high school had I been provided with birth control. But this is purely because every month I'd be in unbearable pain and bedridden while I attempted to keep from puking.

However, definitely not junior high. High school..it'd just cost too much. And it isn't all that effective for every teen girl either. Most of my friends never remembered to take it, they'd forget a pill here and there which makes it not nearly as effective. Or like me, they were put on antibiotics so often that it would be basically useless. And like people said, it should be given by a doctor which the schools might even be required to provide if they did free BC which is a big expense.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#16 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 21st 2011, 03:24 PM

Condoms yes, birth control no. Birth control can effect someone's body in so many ways. I know girls who cannot take the pill because it puts them at risk for health problems, so they do injections or the ring. I mean there are so many different versions of birth control now I think it's very important to go to the doctor and discuss how your body is and then the options for you.

And yeah sure birth control is NOT cheap. Someone on here already said they pay $15 for 4 months, HOLY CRAP! I pay $60 for 3 months, and that's with insurance. However it's important so my parents are willing to pay for it. I think every parent should be willing to buy their daughter birth control, because firstly it doesn't automatically mean sex, I'm still a virgin. Also it has other benefits besides preventing birth, and why wouldn't a parent want to take that precaution anyway. I mean if your daughter comes to you for birth control and you refuse her and she gets pregnant then the parent deserves a lot of the blame there.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#17 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 21st 2011, 03:30 PM

Okay well how about other birth control products besides the pill? Condoms, the shot, spermicide, IUD, etc.

There are some more listed
here.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Maeve

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 21st 2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sincerely Yours View Post
Okay well how about other birth control products besides the pill? Condoms, the shot, spermicide, IUD, etc.
Many high schools do give away free condoms.
Spermicide: ok, I could see that being given away also.
The others: most of these would require a doctor and a prescription (and these not things are the cheapest, or the simplest, kind of birth control to put into implementation).

(#19 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 21st 2011, 04:08 PM

Teenagers will have sex regardless of whether or not they have protection. Therefore we should provide protection so that when they do have sex they don't have kids, because teenagers obviously cannot care or provide for them.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Baxter Offline
Average Joe

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 21st 2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
It's just as much your job to pay taxes which pay for other people's education, health service, cleaning the streets (which other people use) etc. Why not just live on a desert island all by yourself in that case?
Everyone uses streets or public services, not everyone plans on knocking up a teenager, or having kids who will. Yes, you are being a selfish asshole by not paying a few cents to lower teen pregnancy, but it shouldn't be illegal to be one.

Birth control has too many medical reasons not to hand it out. Free condoms, which a lot of schools already do, is the best you can do really.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 21st 2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimmeringFaerie View Post
My pill costs $15 for four months worth. Any student should be able to afford that. Condoms are also relatively inexpensive, but I can't remember the exact price. So I have a hard time believing that there are a lot of unwanted pregnancies because birth control costs too much. It's also really easy to get. You can get condoms from any supermarket and you just need to visit your usual doctor to get a prescription for the pill.

If people aren't using birth control, it's because (for whatever stupid reason) they don't want to. So giving out free birth control isn't going to make them use it.

By the way, this post is pretty Australia-specific. I know that the contraceptive pill is often more expensive in other countries (though I don't understand why...).
Yeah, the price argument is irrelevant when it comes to the US. My birth control is $65 for 3 months, and that's with insurance.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 21st 2011, 05:26 PM

I don't think it's a school's place to be offering birth control, condoms maybe. Birth control needs to be given by prescription and should be a personal choice. For people under 18 parents should have a say and take/send the person to their personal doctor for this. Also, if someone under 18 were to ask the nurse for birth control I'm assuming their parents would be told and could refuse consent so I don't think it's a good idea.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Kyeto-X Offline
Angel without a Halo
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 21st 2011, 05:51 PM

While I understand the cost of the birth control being a factor in some people's decision, i think that the PREVENTATIVE care greatly outweighs the actual cost. Like Fletcher said, it would literally be cent off your individual bottom line. However, providing free and easy access birth control options would help teenagers prevent themselves from getting pregnant. (Because studies show that teens will have sex at some point). If a teenager DOES become pregnant, then that child will instantly become a welfare child. Even if it is adopted, it cost state money line up services and screen out potential parents. Birth control as we have seen cost about $65 US for three months of so. WIC (Women Infant and Child Welfare system) can pay out upwards of $400 a month...I think that the money speaks for itself.

Not only that, but since I can take a guess that the same people who are howling about spending their money would be the same demographic of people who are vehemently against abortions on moral grounds...you are kinda leaving these kids with nothing left to do besides ignore their sex drives.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 21st 2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloserToTheClouds View Post
And it isn't all that effective for every teen girl either. Most of my friends never remembered to take it, they'd forget a pill here and there which makes it not nearly as effective. Or like me, they were put on antibiotics so often that it would be basically useless.
Easy solutions to both:
1. People should be responsible and take it like they're supposed to.
2. Don't have sex while you're taking antibiotics.

(#25 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 21st 2011, 06:53 PM

I'd rather the money went into providing comprehensive, nationwide and (more importantly) effective sex education programme which makes people fully aware of the subject than simply put it into handing out condoms and other forms of birth control. For example, if you give teenagers the emergency contraceptive and they use that every time they have unprotected sex, is that going to promote a responsible attitude? Probably not. Same goes with condoms - they may be one of the most reliable forms of birth control, but they still break or are used incorrectly (I know, sounds daft, but it's true). I do believe this is a topic schools should give appropriate and sufficient time on the curriculum, because like Fletcher I believe it is right to use tax dollars (or other currencies) to reduce the teenage pregnancy problem; however, I would rather it was done in a way which tackles the mentality rather than the consequences. That is the only way you are going to get lasting progress on this front - after all, condoms have been around in one form or another for the last 400 years...

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 21st 2011, 10:17 PM

Yes, I prefer to "pay" a dollar for a condom than have to support them and their new child all their life of welfare.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Fabrication Offline
This Time I'll Make You Proud.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 22nd 2011, 03:09 AM

Well,
If people are just SO upset about how almost every teen they see is pregnant (yes I understand this is exaggeration), why not? I believe it would help control the rate of teen pregnancy. I think it's a good idea for those who are sexual active.
Now, if it's forced upon those who aren't sexually active, that's just a little bit pushy. I don't like that.
Seems fine to me, as long as they aren't abusing the pill.

"..And if you're perusing the social media networks, I urge you to keep your fucking opinions to yourself. If you're going ruin someone's day, ruin your own."
- Bert McCracken

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Kyeto-X Offline
Angel without a Halo
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 22nd 2011, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005 View Post
... I do believe this is a topic schools should give appropriate and sufficient time on the curriculum, because like Fletcher I believe it is right to use tax dollars (or other currencies) to reduce the teenage pregnancy problem; however, I would rather it was done in a way which tackles the mentality rather than the consequences. That is the only way you are going to get lasting progress on this front - after all, condoms have been around in one form or another for the last 400 years...
I agree with this. Sex education should solely be about Pregnancy and disease control. It should cover safe and effective was to use birth control as well has the social/emotional side of sexuality. However, again I stress that ideally this side of sexuality is taught by the parents of the long period of time.

(#29 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 22nd 2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sincerely Yours View Post

There are some more listed
here.
Condoms I agree with but nothing more. Unless as I previously posted a seperate clinic came every month or so. A school doctor or nurse often has enough to deal with without having to give birth control. Assessing girls for the pil, IUDs etc takes time, blood pressure, height, weight etc have to be taken and considered. If a school nurse or doctor offered to do that there wouldn't be enough time to deal with sick kids ...
And yes, birth control is important in teenagers, but the primary job of the nurse/doctor should be to care for kids who are sick/injured.
Where I grew up in the UK, birth control was free anyway. And believe me going to a clinic was intimidating enough without having to approach the school nurse in a room full of kids I see everyday and say "hey I'd like the pill" ...

(#30 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 22nd 2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate* View Post
I don't think it's a school's place to be offering birth control, condoms maybe. Birth control needs to be given by prescription and should be a personal choice. For people under 18 parents should have a say and take/send the person to their personal doctor for this. Also, if someone under 18 were to ask the nurse for birth control I'm assuming their parents would be told and could refuse consent so I don't think it's a good idea.
Also, I don't agree with this at all. OK so sex is illegal under 16/18 or whatever depending where you live ... but kids are gonna do it anyway. I'm not condoning sex between minors, just to make that clear. But if a kid knows their parents will be told, and so don't get protection, there will most likely be pregnancies / STDs. I'd far rather kids were allowed access to protect themselves rather than being too scared to.

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 22nd 2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelios View Post
Yes, I prefer to "pay" a dollar for a condom than have to support them and their new child all their life of welfare.
The issue is I shouldn't have to pay for either.

(#32 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 22nd 2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
The issue is I shouldn't have to pay for either.
Yea... but the problem won't go away on its own. I shouldn't have to pay for my government to install speed cameras everywhere, but the issue of speeding won't go away on its own will it?

(#33 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 22nd 2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Yea... but the problem won't go away on its own. I shouldn't have to pay for my government to install speed cameras everywhere, but the issue of speeding won't go away on its own will it?
There are solutions, just none that anyone will ever let get passed.

How about, "You have sex, you have the responsibility, you get pregnant and can't feed yourself anymore, too bad, you're fault as well."

(#34 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 22nd 2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
There are solutions, just none that anyone will ever let get passed.

How about, "You have sex, you have the responsibility, you get pregnant and can't feed yourself anymore, too bad, you're fault as well."
I do see where you're coming from. Some people act irresponsible because they know they'l get away with it because the system provides them with a safety net.

Basically you're arguing that birthcontrol (despite being unpleasant) would perhaps encourage more irresponsibility in some teens, am I right in some way? I might not be, it's a bit of a leap on my part.

I do believe that people who act stupid and irresponsible should face the consequences, but some people are too immature to fully understand these, and in my opinion should be given a second chance.

This all gets difficult with respect to newborns, born as a result of irresponsible sex. It'd be a strong lesson to force the couple to look after the kid and claim responsibility for what they've created, but how fair is it on the kid to get brought up like that? It's not fair... so what do you do? Take the kid away? Then the irresponsible couple gets away completely for free, will probably split up, and do it again with someone else, have another kid, and another, which will all have to be looked after by the system.

(#35 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 22nd 2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maloo View Post

Easy solutions to both:
1. People should be responsible and take it like they're supposed to.
2. Don't have sex while you're taking antibiotics.
It's not really that easy. Are you going to personally remind every girl to take their birth control every night? Not remembering doesn't mean you aren't responsible. I personally know how hard it can be, and sometimes it IS unavoidable. And it's not just about having sex while antibiotics, once the birth control isn't working because of that it takes time for it to work fully again. Teenagers tend to be impatient, and most of the time sex isn't planned. They might not be thinking about what other medicine they're taking.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#36 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 22nd 2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloserToTheClouds View Post
It's not really that easy. Are you going to personally remind every girl to take their birth control every night? Not remembering doesn't mean you aren't responsible. I personally know how hard it can be, and sometimes it IS unavoidable. And it's not just about having sex while antibiotics, once the birth control isn't working because of that it takes time for it to work fully again. Teenagers tend to be impatient, and most of the time sex isn't planned. They might not be thinking about what other medicine they're taking.
I've never gotten the whole pill skipping thing. If you follow the directions and take it at the same time every day I don't see how you could forget. I take mine at 7 every morning with my other medication, and I pretty much always go back to sleep after. I just get up for two seconds take the pill and go back to sleep. I don't see why it's that hard to remember. If it matters, and if you are sexually active it certainly does, then you take a little effort. So personally I think that if you don't take the time to make a plan about when to take your pill so you never forget then you probably aren't responsible enough for sex.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#37 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 22nd 2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
I've never gotten the whole pill skipping thing. If you follow the directions and take it at the same time every day I don't see how you could forget. I take mine at 7 every morning with my other medication, and I pretty much always go back to sleep after. I just get up for two seconds take the pill and go back to sleep. I don't see why it's that hard to remember. If it matters, and if you are sexually active it certainly does, then you take a little effort. So personally I think that if you don't take the time to make a plan about when to take your pill so you never forget then you probably aren't responsible enough for sex.
Honestly, you took the words right out of my mouth.

I take mine at 6am every day, and I've taken it late a total of 2 times, but still was within the window to be fine.

And I don't care if teens are impatient. Have some f*cking self control. Just because you want to have sex, either while on antibiotics or before your pill is working again, doesn't mean you HAVE to do it.

(#38 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 22nd 2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xujhan View Post
While I don't think it would be a good idea for medical reasons, the whole "Not on my tax dollar!!1!" attitutde really baffles me. If you wouldn't support lowering the rate of teen pragnancy, what in the hell would you support?

I've supported for Gay pride, so that's something I'd support. I'd support government-regulated brothels, I'd support a free healthcare system provided everyone gets free access to healthcare. Just because I don't support giving teenage hormonal girls birth control doesn't mean I won't support anything. If I have the mentality that it's just a few cents even though it's money that I earned, then I'd probably be a generous enough person to put my daughter on my health insurance so that she can have access to birth control. I don't mind being co-dependent, but there are some times where it's okay to be independent as well. If I eventually have the money to rely on my finances for providing my daughter birth control, why should I have to pay on a teenager's behalf? I'd be happy to help pay for everyone, but if we're just going to target teenagers...then I say no. There are women out there who are older than teenagers who can't get access to birth control and I think that if we are to force people to pay taxes for someone else to benefit, we should pay taxes to support each other and not just teenagers because they can't keep their legs closed without getting pregnant.

(#39 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
So sleepy.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 22nd 2011, 10:19 PM

I don't think that schools should provide birth control. They should be able to provide condoms, but not birth control. People should go to their doctors and decide what is best for them, and then get a prescription from their doctor. Parents and schools should educate children on safe sex, but I don't think it is the school's responsibility to provide birth control. If a teenager wants to have sex, they should know the risks just like an adult should, and it should be their responsibility to get their own birth control. I could be wrong but I don't think adults are just handed out birth control under normal circumstances. Teenagers are so close to being adults themselves and need to prepare themselves for the real world, so they should learn to go to the doctor to get their own birth control too.

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia. Send a message via Skype™ to Melancholia. 
  (#40 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Should birth control be provided in schools? - October 23rd 2011, 12:29 AM

A lot of people are saying that schools shouldn't hand out birth control, but that they should hand out condoms. I get that there's obviously a big difference between the two since there are almost no side-effects associated with condoms, but honestly... I don't really agree with the idea. I feel like handing out condoms, but not birth control could perpetuate the idea that women need to take responsibility for contraception but men don't. Women would have to spend time and money to go and get a prescription whilst men would just be provided with free protection which required no effort to get. It doesn't really promote sexual responsibility for male teenagers.

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.

Closed Thread