TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
XxMallyPrydexX Offline
Average Joe

Name: Mally

Unhappy This is so sad :'( - October 23rd 2011, 10:43 PM

I can't believe that the state of ohio let this happen http://www.peta.org/b/thepetafiles/a...d-in-ohio.aspx Everybody shouldn't just be allowed to own endangered and exotic animals. And the cops shouldn't have shot them... they should have been tranquilized and moved to a safer environment for them and for the people living nearby.

They can have their world
We'll create our own
I may not be brave or strong or smart
But somewhere in my secret heart

I know
Love will find a way
Anywhere I go
I'm home
If you are there beside me

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: This is so sad :'( - October 23rd 2011, 11:39 PM

Personally, i'd rather that then these animals killing innocent people. You must remember that tranquillizer darts do not work straight away... it usually takes a few minutes. The cops were in the right however there should be more restrictions on owning exotic animals

Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
wastedtime Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Will

Re: This is so sad :'( - October 24th 2011, 03:27 AM

I believe they could have handled the situation a little differently, aka without killing them. With that said I don't think people should be allowed to own those types of animals, the people and the animals would be better off if we left them were their from.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: This is so sad :'( - October 24th 2011, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedtime View Post
I believe they could have handled the situation a little differently, aka without killing them. With that said I don't think people should be allowed to own those types of animals, the people and the animals would be better off if we left them were their from.
In order to tranquilize the animals, you need different doses for each animal, you need to prepare it, you need to actually shoot them, and then track them until they go down. It's a lot of time for something to go wrong, and if someone had gotten killed by one of these animals while they were all attempting to tranq them, the public would be throwing a fucking fit.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I donít seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
wastedtime Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Will

Re: This is so sad :'( - October 24th 2011, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTank77 View Post
In order to tranquilize the animals, you need different doses for each animal, you need to prepare it, you need to actually shoot them, and then track them until they go down. It's a lot of time for something to go wrong, and if someone had gotten killed by one of these animals while they were all attempting to tranq them, the public would be throwing a fucking fit.
I see what your saying but if there was laws against having these animals none of this ever would have happened.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: This is so sad :'( - October 24th 2011, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMallyPrydexX View Post
I can't believe that the state of ohio let this happen http://www.peta.org/b/thepetafiles/a...d-in-ohio.aspx Everybody shouldn't just be allowed to own endangered and exotic animals. And the cops shouldn't have shot them... they should have been tranquilized and moved to a safer environment for them and for the people living nearby.
Yeah, what cute little babies they are...

Wouldn't even hurt a fly

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marguerite

Re: This is so sad :'( - October 24th 2011, 04:28 AM

It's a shame this happened, and that someone was allowed to keep these animals on private property in the first place... but I'd rather see the animals shot dead than come home to find a tiger eating my children.

To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: This is so sad :'( - October 24th 2011, 04:54 AM

I agree that the cops handled the situation properly. These animals hurt and killed innocent people. Sure, it was at the animal's owners fault, however, they can't return them back to their owners or put them in a zoo as they're already a danger to society

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Ignite Offline
See the lightning in your eyes

Jeez, get a life!

Re: This is so sad :'( - October 24th 2011, 05:12 AM

Here's an article not from PETA. I'm an animal activist, but PETA's is a bit...one sided, and doesn't tell the whole story.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/20/us...-preserve.html

The animals killed nobody. I don't know where that rumor came from. The owner killed himself after freeing the animals and this article particuarly says "And while there were multiple sightings of wild animals on farmland in and around Zanesville, there were no reports of any people being attacked."

It's an absolute shame. These animals are not pets, they are wild animals, and the laws need to be stricter. I feel so bad for these poor things. The police did what they could with the knowledge they had, but if they would have more closely examined the owner, they would have known he had killed himself, and would have realized killing endangered animals was probably not the solution.

The greatest mistake one can make is being afraid to make one.
Rest in Peace Peter.
  Send a message via MSN to Ignite  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: This is so sad :'( - October 24th 2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee❤ View Post
Here's an article not from PETA. I'm an animal activist, but PETA's is a bit...one sided, and doesn't tell the whole story.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/20/us...-preserve.html

The animals killed nobody. I don't know where that rumor came from. The owner killed himself after freeing the animals and this article particuarly says "And while there were multiple sightings of wild animals on farmland in and around Zanesville, there were no reports of any people being attacked."

It's an absolute shame. These animals are not pets, they are wild animals, and the laws need to be stricter. I feel so bad for these poor things. The police did what they could with the knowledge they had, but if they would have more closely examined the owner, they would have known he had killed himself, and would have realized killing endangered animals was probably not the solution.
With this being said, I take back my first statement. Since no one was injured, or killed, the police definitely could have handled the situation better. I must have misread the article, or someone above had said, and assumed that people were injured.

Wild animals should never be kept as pets. They're wild animals, not a cute puppy. Sure, it's exciting and fun, but when sometime like this happens, it does put others in danger, and it's not worth the risk. These animals didn't deserve to be shot, and they could have been taken to a safer environment. Since they were in captivity for so long, they could have found homes for them at local zoo's or nature centers (where they have permits for these specific animals). Had they been released back into the wild, they probably wouldn't have survived very long. Their lives were cut short, and it's not fair. Stricter laws are definitely needed.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: This is so sad :'( - October 24th 2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelophobia View Post

With this being said, I take back my first statement. Since no one was injured, or killed, the police definitely could have handled the situation better. I must have misread the article, or someone above had said, and assumed that people were injured.
The police learn that several large predatory animals are lose in Ohio after their owner was reported dead. Do you sit around and wait or do you take action before more people are possibly harmed?

The police made the right call. It doesn't suck any less, but to say they should have handled the situation better after the fact is a complete hindsight fallacy.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marguerite

Re: This is so sad :'( - October 24th 2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Exactly, and I'm so glad they didn't wait around for people to be attacked. In the middle of the night, with dozens of dangerous wild animals wandering around, including tigers and bears, it would have been a huge risk to attempt to tranquilize and recapture them. Especially considering that in a situation like this time is of the essense. These people weren't trained to deal with a situation like this, and really, who is? From what I understand tranquilizing an animal isn't as simple as shooting it with a tranquilizing gun, as has already been mentioned you need different kinds of traqulizers for different animals. Animals don't just drop down straight away either. Most of the time you will need multiple shots before that will happen anyway. Of course, you risk that you will miss, or you will shoot a bone of muscle. And in the dark? That's even more likely. And even people trained in taking animals out with tranq guns are probably unlikely to have been experienced in this kind of situation where the animals are just roaming around, and missing potentially means a human beings death.

The point is that it was too much of a risk. I would rather see hundreds of those animals shot down than put one single human life in danger. I doubt the people saying it was outrageous and disgusting would feel the same if they and their family lived in the same area as where all this stuff was going down. Maybe these animals would have killed... maybe not. The point is that they prepared for the worst case scenario, which was absolutely the correct thing to do.

To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy

(#13 (permalink)) Old
RedPanda. Offline
The Red Panda
Average Joe

Name: TJ

Re: This is so sad :'( - October 24th 2011, 09:35 AM

FYI people PETA is considered a terrorist organization.

12:12 PM [Rob] Apart from when n**bs put stuff in their signatures.
12:12 PM [Rob] But then I edit the signatures, ban them, and initiate a full scale cover up.
  Send a message via AIM to RedPanda. Send a message via MSN to RedPanda.  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: This is so sad :'( - October 24th 2011, 12:31 PM

If they weren't shot then the potential of the animals killing people is still there. Tranquillizers don't work like they do in the movies you know.

How would they have been taken to a safer environment with them being tranquillized?

It's the laws that need to be looked at... not the police

Last edited by chickenonsteroids; October 24th 2011 at 01:33 PM. Reason: i don't like the word cops and i spelt police wrong

(#15 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: This is so sad :'( - October 24th 2011, 01:30 PM

The police ain't to blame, it's the law. The police did their job.

If there was a lion running towards me and I had a gun at my hip, I wouldn't try to tame it and pat it on the head. I'd shoot.

If you've got some spare time, read this:

http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f40-s...-d/#post631229

But don't if you're easily triggered. If you're not easily triggered then go ahead.

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Mandylion Offline
Not a n00b

Name: amanda/mandy

Re: This is so sad :'( - October 24th 2011, 01:42 PM

The are already talking about strickening the laws. Also in an article i read in the paper they tried to tranquilize one of the tigers it got so aggressive that they had to shoot to kill.

"You cant pray away the GAY!"

(#17 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: This is so sad :'( - October 24th 2011, 04:37 PM

First, I hate to offend someone, but in sixth, seventh and eighth grade I've made essays based on how foolish PETA is, how unimformative and radical it is. I'm taking nothing from their site seriously. Thanks to Coffee for posting a different link. This is just a tip for next time, because PETA is a very onesided company and is basically the same as having no source posted.

I say it was the right choice to kill the animals. For one, what if they killed a child? What if they mauled a person? They would be put to death, and then a human would be hurt/killed as well. Humans are worth more than animals period. Secondly, don't judge the police unless you've been in their position, if you've faced a possibly dangerous animal and had the choice to tranquilize or kill it and you chose to tranquilize and re-locate it, judge away. Otherwise you don't know what you'd have done.

Just another case of police facing unreal challenges and having everyone imput how they'd handle it so much better, aftering urinating in their pants of course.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#18 (permalink)) Old
XxMallyPrydexX Offline
Average Joe

Re: This is so sad :'( - October 24th 2011, 08:11 PM

@coffee thank you for the link i didn't know where I could find another one... and thanks for clearing that up, I didn't think that the animals had hurt anybody myself... not sure how that got around... Oh well, the press loves drama.

And @guile, I never said that they weren't dangerous, it's because they're dangerous that I don't think people should be allowed to own them in the first place.

And lastly @ .TJ. PETA is NOT a terrorist organization, if you want to help spread the rumors about them you're doing a fine job. 'Nuff said.

We'll create our own

I know
Love will find a way
Anywhere I go
I'm home

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: This is so sad :'( - October 24th 2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
And lastly @ .TJ. PETA is NOT a terrorist organization, if you want to help spread the rumors about them you're doing a fine job. 'Nuff said.
They are extremely one sided though.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
XxMallyPrydexX Offline
Average Joe

Re: This is so sad :'( - October 24th 2011, 08:32 PM

I don't deny that they're a bit extreme... But there is a MAJOR difference between extreme and terrorist. Trust me, if they were terrorists, the U.S. definetly wouldn't allow them to exist anymore.

We'll create our own

I know
Love will find a way
Anywhere I go
I'm home

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: This is so sad :'( - October 24th 2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I don't deny that they're a bit extreme... But there is a MAJOR difference between extreme and terrorist. Trust me, if they were terrorists, the U.S. definetly wouldn't allow them to exist anymore.
Just because they are 'terrorist' doesn't mean they can't exist... they are a global organisation, I understand no one taking them seriously but you can't get rid of them. The KKK still exist :P

(#22 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: This is so sad :'( - October 24th 2011, 08:40 PM

Warm up your spoons and prep your veins, it's time for a big fat injection of KNOWLEDGE.

5 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
XxMallyPrydexX Offline
Average Joe

Re: This is so sad :'( - October 24th 2011, 09:16 PM

*sigh* really guys? really? Am I going to have to lock another thread because all people want to do is harass me and not stay on topic? Why must people do that? Why do you ALWAYS have to be right?

We'll create our own

I know
Love will find a way
Anywhere I go
I'm home

(#24 (permalink)) Old
XxMallyPrydexX Offline
Average Joe

Re: This is so sad :'( - October 24th 2011, 09:17 PM

Can't you just LEAVE ME ALONE and accept me for what I am and what I believe in)': This is a TEENHELP forum. Remember that.

We'll create our own

I know
Love will find a way
Anywhere I go
I'm home

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: This is so sad :'( - October 24th 2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Can't you just LEAVE ME ALONE and accept me for what I am and what I believe in)': This is a TEENHELP forum. Remember that.
People aren't forgetting that. I think you need to remember that you are posting in the current events and debate forum. People are going to give their opinions and there is nothing wrong with that. If you aren't willing to look at other people's opinions, stop making threads. No one is harassing your beliefs.

Remember... it's only the internet.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
XxMallyPrydexX Offline
Average Joe

Re: This is so sad :'( - October 24th 2011, 09:49 PM

But you don't have to go out of your way to tell me I'm wrong. It's not even on topic. The subject was not "PETA, like or dislike" it was something totally different. Some people just like to voice their opinions way too much.

We'll create our own

I know
Love will find a way
Anywhere I go
I'm home

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: This is so sad :'( - October 24th 2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
But you don't have to go out of your way to tell me I'm wrong. It's not even on topic. The subject was not "PETA, like or dislike" it was something totally different. Some people just like to voice their opinions way too much.
Edit your post and put in a more respected source?

(#28 (permalink)) Old
XxMallyPrydexX Offline
Average Joe

Re: This is so sad :'( - October 24th 2011, 10:03 PM

There is a more respected source. It's already been posted http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/20/us...erve.html?_r=1

We'll create our own

I know
Love will find a way
Anywhere I go
I'm home

(#29 (permalink)) Old
Ignite Offline
See the lightning in your eyes

Jeez, get a life!

Re: This is so sad :'( - October 24th 2011, 10:51 PM

I think we should go back on topic guys, or this thread can be closed. I'm sorry I started the PETA thing. Yes, PETA was investigated by the US for being a terrorist organization, but nothing was done of it because they're really not. Yes, they put down a lot of animals. But they believe in a lot of great things as well, and I understand completely why XxMallyPrydexX supports them. As a vegetarian, I get a lot of my recipes and tips for health from their site. Want to discuss PETA? Go make another thread. I'd love to participate. But we should keep on topic.

Plus the source she put isn't unreliable, but just didn't discuss what exactly happened. So, back on topic? Thanks.

The greatest mistake one can make is being afraid to make one.
Rest in Peace Peter.
  Send a message via MSN to Ignite  
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: This is so sad :'( - October 24th 2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
*sigh* really guys? really? Am I going to have to lock another thread because all people want to do is harass me and not stay on topic? Why must people do that? Why do you ALWAYS have to be right?
Because I always AM right?

Nonetheless, PETA is essentially a homegrown terrorist front, being used as an anti-corporation alliance of idiotic hippies and liberal windbags.

Also, the police were right, what kind of rural police officer has training on the proper use of tranquilizer guns on African game? You claim that they never hurt anyone so they shouldn't just be killed, so in the same vein, no more arresting terrorists until they actually do harm, right?

Plus they are extremely bigoted, in many cultures, hunting animals and such is a national pastime, see Finland as my example below.

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: This is so sad :'( - October 24th 2011, 11:41 PM

I personally think people need to stop taking other peoples opinions so seriously.

Anyway, I still think tranquillizing the animals would have been impossible

who am I kidding? this thread has had enough said about it.

(#32 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: This is so sad :'( - October 25th 2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
People do that here in the debates forum, it's nothing personal against anyone, usually. You shouldn't let it bother you.

If you've got some spare time, read this:

http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f40-s...-d/#post631229

But don't if you're easily triggered. If you're not easily triggered then go ahead.

(#33 (permalink)) Old
RedPanda. Offline
The Red Panda
Average Joe

Name: TJ

Re: This is so sad :'( - October 26th 2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009...=Google+Reader

12:12 PM [Rob] Apart from when n**bs put stuff in their signatures.
12:12 PM [Rob] But then I edit the signatures, ban them, and initiate a full scale cover up.
  Send a message via AIM to RedPanda. Send a message via MSN to RedPanda.  
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: This is so sad :'( - October 26th 2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I think we should go back on topic guys, or this thread can be closed. I'm sorry I started the PETA thing. Yes, PETA was investigated by the US for being a terrorist organization, but nothing was done of it because they're really not. Yes, they put down a lot of animals. But they believe in a lot of great things as well, and I understand completely why XxMallyPrydexX supports them. As a vegetarian, I get a lot of my recipes and tips for health from their site. Want to discuss PETA? Go make another thread. I'd love to participate. But we should keep on topic.

Plus the source she put isn't unreliable, but just didn't discuss what exactly happened. So, back on topic? Thanks.
You probably want to drop a note for the OP to stop being ridiculously oversensitive, too. Apparently in her mind, somehow disagreement is synonymous with harassment and rudeness.

Life's much more fun if one can stop taking everything as personal attacks and being offended at the smallest disagreement or criticism.

====================================

Back on topic, if only 2 or 3 escaped, then sure, I certainly would support tranquilizer and capturing. However, in this case, we are talking about over 50 dangerous animals on the loose that can maul us in a second. Not two or three, but over 50!

I don't like mass-killing animals either, but I dislike the idea of having giant predators stare down at my loved ones and myself even more.

--------------------

49 out of 56 escaped animals were killed: 18 tigers, 17 lions, 6 black bears, 3 mountain lions, 2 grizzly bears, 2 wolves, and one baboon. The captured ones were taken to Columbus Zoo. (Source: USA Today)

How would you like it if every time you walk out of your house, you have to watch out for 50+ dangerous animals lurking somewhere? Not very comfortable, I would imagine.

Or would you like it if a huge black bear knock on your door asking for some food? Sounds exciting, no?

--------------------

And for those who have questions about the usage of tranquilizers, you have consider these factors:
  • It was already dark and they had less than one hour before nightfall.
  • Over 50 were on the loose, including bears, lions, tigers, leopards, etc. They have to take them down as fast as possible for safety measures. You think they have enough tranquilizers just lying around for all of these? In one hour?
  • Tranquilizer don't take effect immediately, during which time the animal can still run away and hide somewhere.
  • Worse, tranquilizer can make the animals more agitated and become even more aggressive.
  • Adrenaline can potentially nullify the effect of tranquilizers.

Here are a few trusted sources:

From National Geographic Society, one of the largest non-profit scientific and educational institutions in the world:
Most experts agreed that the Ohio officers had little choice but to kill the animals.

Unlike in television and movie portrayals, real tranquilizers take time to take effect, and the impact of a dart can make an animal aggressive or cause it to run.

From Jack Hannah (nickname Jungle Jack), director Emeritus of the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, honorary Ph.Ds from Muskingum University, Otterbein College in Westerville, Ohio, and Capital University in Columbus, Ohio, one of the most notable animal experts in the United States:
You cannot tranquilize an animal like this, a bear or a leopard or a tiger [at night]. If you do that, the animal gets really excited; it goes in high.
--------------------

I'm sorry to break to you animal lovers but . . . human life comes first; lethal force was necessary. It's easy to try to be some kind of full-of-morals, never-does-wrong hypocrite until it happens right in your backyard and your family is in danger.

If we want to be anger, then we should be anger at the Ohio local government for their lax regulation, not the usage of lethal force, in this case. Had the man not allowed to keep these animals in the first place, then this would have never happened.

Last edited by Digilodger; October 26th 2011 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Adding some sources

(#35 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: This is so sad :'( - October 27th 2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Why you're upset with the police is beyond me. Obviously the only one at fault was the idiot that owned the animals. He should have never had them in the first place and definitely shouldn't have released them.

~Cody

Normal User

Closed Thread