TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#81 (permalink)) Old
Kyeto-X Offline
Angel without a Halo
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Will

Re: World Population to Reach 7 Billion on Oct. 31 - November 4th 2011, 03:03 AM

Ok, my two cents.

I am torn by this decision, because I have seen both sides of the "disabled child" equation.

1) my fiancee has several genetic issues, neurofibromitosis, cebral palsey, asthma, the list goes on. Her mom knew about some of these disorders before she gave birth. All of these, (plus the fact that the pregnancy was a resault of infidelity ) are good reasons according the eugenics to abort the pregnancy. Her medication cost more then my rent a month as a copay, she has had upwards of 12 surguries in her life, looking at a 13th here in a few months...

And yet, she is a straight A student, wanting to be a pediatric oncologist. She volunteers at her after school program is her schools GSA president, and my lover. She is a successful person and is giving back to her community.

However, example 2) ....

One of my college friends invited me to his house over spring break. He explained that he has a severly disabled little sister. I didn't realized how bad it was until I got there. She was in a specially designed crib that was floor to ceiling. She did not communicate with the outside world except through grunts and screams. And she prevented the family from traveling far from home because her diaper needed to be changed every few hours. Her family tried to take care of her as best they can, but they also have a foster family that takes her for half the week to give the family a break. I was polite and didn't say anything to the family...but the obvious question is why spend all this time and money and effort on someone who is doing nothing except be a burden...all of that money could have been spent on food, clothes, repairing cars, anything else that would have helped the economy...

"One of the things I regret the most of being able to imagine anything,
is having to fear nothing"

"Realty is a lot more malleable then most people think.
They just refuse to believe that they can do anything about it."

"If a simple electron has a small,
but nonzero chance of doing the impossible,
what is stopping us from doing the same thing?"

-Wise Sayings from a Raving Lunatic
Follow me and my new book on Facebook!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Kyeto-X 
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 747141 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#82 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: World Population to Reach 7 Billion on Oct. 31 - November 4th 2011, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyeto-X View Post
Ok, my two cents.

I am torn by this decision, because I have seen both sides of the "disabled child" equation.

1) my fiancee has several genetic issues, neurofibromitosis, cebral palsey, asthma, the list goes on. Her mom knew about some of these disorders before she gave birth. All of these, (plus the fact that the pregnancy was a resault of infidelity ) are good reasons according the eugenics to abort the pregnancy. Her medication cost more then my rent a month as a copay, she has had upwards of 12 surguries in her life, looking at a 13th here in a few months...

And yet, she is a straight A student, wanting to be a pediatric oncologist. She volunteers at her after school program is her schools GSA president, and my lover. She is a successful person and is giving back to her community.

However, example 2) ....

One of my college friends invited me to his house over spring break. He explained that he has a severly disabled little sister. I didn't realized how bad it was until I got there. She was in a specially designed crib that was floor to ceiling. She did not communicate with the outside world except through grunts and screams. And she prevented the family from traveling far from home because her diaper needed to be changed every few hours. Her family tried to take care of her as best they can, but they also have a foster family that takes her for half the week to give the family a break. I was polite and didn't say anything to the family...but the obvious question is why spend all this time and money and effort on someone who is doing nothing except be a burden...all of that money could have been spent on food, clothes, repairing cars, anything else that would have helped the economy...
I agree, there certainly is a difference between those who have disabilities but can contribute and those who can't. I have no problem with those who can contribute but have a disability doing so, it's good for everyone, although I'd hope they do the responsible thing and don't have children. A whole other story for those who can't contribute though.

(#83 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: World Population to Reach 7 Billion on Oct. 31 - November 4th 2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post

I agree, there certainly is a difference between those who have disabilities but can contribute and those who can't. I have no problem with those who can contribute but have a disability doing so, it's good for everyone, although I'd hope they do the responsible thing and don't have children. A whole other story for those who can't contribute though.
Quoted for truth.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#84 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marguerite

Re: World Population to Reach 7 Billion on Oct. 31 - November 4th 2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyeto-X View Post
This is really one of my big problems with discussion of eugenics. If you were to say, hey, this girl has a horrible life, her family suffers because of it, it would be best if nobody had to go through that... I would definitely understand that. What we can reasonably do to prevent anyone from living a life like this should be done.

However, firstly, we're talking about preventing it before birth, but I feel we're talking about this girl as she is this massive waste of space and shouldn't exist, where the focus should be on preventing this happening for future generations, not amending, what some might crudely call 'mistakes' (note: I am not calling human beings mistakes, I am merely stating were I fear this argument could go).

The second thing I have a problem is that you did not really mention this in the context I've put it in (that people shouldn't suffer) but rather that people like this are a waste to society, that they can't 'contribute', and that the family could have spent the money caring for her on other things like 'cars, food and clothes', and labelling her a burden. Now I realise this may look like semantics, since we are basically talking about the same thing and I may look like I'm coming off trying to be holier than thou by couching it in 'nice terms', but my issue with your phrasing is that I wonder how far the attitude of 'only people who can contribute to society should be able to live', tackling the issue with very little empathy and assessing people on value (if X weren't alive we would have been able to buy a house by now) will go, and how much of it will spill over into after these people are born (rather than looking at it in terms of avoiding people being born with dibilitating disabilities in the first place).

To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy

(#85 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Name: Scott

Re: World Population to Reach 7 Billion on Oct. 31 - November 4th 2011, 04:57 PM

To be fair, it doesn't sound like someone in that position described in 2) is going to have children anyway, which is what this debate seems to be about. Her right to life and quality of living belong to a completely different debate. I agree with Marguerite (unsurprisingly) that mentioning money and what else it could be spent on is a bit like putting a price on life, which is a bit scary.

(#86 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: World Population to Reach 7 Billion on Oct. 31 - November 4th 2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDF View Post
You sound like you're turning this into potentially quite a technical scientific debate over how evolution and gene pools work.

You better believe it. Anything to do with genetics is immediately a technical scientific debate in my book, hence why I reacted as I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDF View Post
If we systematically kick the people with "bad genes" out of our gene pool, we'l be reducing over the time the chances of such "bad genes" being passed down. I don't think science and technology have developed anywhere near enough yet to make this kind of action feasible anyway. There'd be no point in "weeding out" some of the bad genes, and then letting them spread across the population again because we didn't have enough resources to finish the job.

You seem to have missed my point - how you define "good" and "bad" genes is utterly subjective and dependent on what you feel are "good" traits for a species to have. That does not make it an accurate yardstick for ANY decision which concerns the future survival of any species, including our own. I really cannot stress strongly enough how foolhardy an enterprise this really is.

On a wider note, and as my final contribution to this thread, I honestly find some of the sentiments being expressed here completely abhorrent and I sincerely hope we are never in a position where they are taken seriously. I would want no part in a society capable of such acts.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

Closed Thread