TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Service Animals - March 22nd 2009, 05:47 PM

Today, after watching this video about a woman with a seeing eye horse who uses it to do things a dog would traditionally do--like shop in Target, it made me think. What would you consider to be a service animal? Now, in the United States, any animal can be considered a service animal but they are considering limiting it to just dogs. What disorders should service animals be allowed to take care of? I'm currently researching this subject now and I've read about monkeys bring medicine to people with diabetes, miniature horses leading the blind, and ferrets to help deal with anxiety. Personally, I'm all for having animals being trained to help you. I think you should be allowed to take them where ever you need, if the animal has been trained and certified to do so. I don't think they should limit what you consider to be a service animal. If the animal provides you emotional support and helps you deal with things like anxiety, then I think you should be able to have it with you.

Another point that I've come across in my research is animals near food. Let's say you have a monkey as a service animal. It's fine to have him with you while you are eating, but I do not think that animal needs to be anywhere near the food especially if you are at a buffet type situation. That is not clean and I would not want an animal near my food, regardless of the type.

This article is one of the best articles I have found so far. It goes through a lot of cases and brings up some points that I have mentioned.

When it comes to letting all animals serve as service animals, I might be a lot biased. I have not been diagnosed with anything, because my parents do not believe in mental health disorders--but that is another story, but I'm fairly certain that there is something wrong with me. I have issues going out into public. I'm much happier when I'm with animals. I could see myself with a dog one day that I train to do things like remind me to take my medicine or something similar. I certainly would like to think that if I need use of a therapy animal that I would be allowed to have it.

--A

(#2 (permalink)) Old
star_crossd Offline
Color Me Chaotic
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sam

Re: Service Animals - March 22nd 2009, 06:22 PM

Oh, yeah, I've heard about the pygmy horses being used as seeing eye animals and such. I think those are pretty cool, the show was saying how they're better for crossing streets because of the position of their eyes on either side of their head? Yeah, I think that was it, haha. I can understand how they would want to just used dogs, though. For one thing, they're easier to potty train and yeah, people might have bigger problems with a monkey in a food area than a dog.

Yesterday I saw you kissing tiny flowers
But everything that lives is born to die
And so I say to you that nothing really matters
And all you do is stand and cry.

Music is life. Start living.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Re: Service Animals - March 22nd 2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_crossd View Post
Oh, yeah, I've heard about the pygmy horses being used as seeing eye animals and such. I think those are pretty cool, the show was saying how they're better for crossing streets because of the position of their eyes on either side of their head? Yeah, I think that was it, haha. I can understand how they would want to just used dogs, though. For one thing, they're easier to potty train and yeah, people might have bigger problems with a monkey in a food area than a dog.
What animals should be considered service animals in your opinion? Who should be allowed to have them?

--A

(#4 (permalink)) Old
star_crossd Offline
Color Me Chaotic
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Service Animals - March 22nd 2009, 06:43 PM

Hm, well definitely dogs, they're like the original service animal. I like the thought of pygmy horses too but it seems like they'd be harder to train? I dunno, thats just me. I've never heard of ferrets being used as service animals but for anxiety problems? That sounds like a really good idea, actually. But in the article thing where you read it, did it say if they were like in a little carrying case or something?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Re: Service Animals - March 22nd 2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Hm, well definitely dogs, they're like the original service animal. I like the thought of pygmy horses too but it seems like they'd be harder to train? I dunno, thats just me. I've never heard of ferrets being used as service animals but for anxiety problems? That sounds like a really good idea, actually. But in the article thing where you read it, did it say if they were like in a little carrying case or something?
I don't think I've heard anything about them being in a carrying case. However, I'm sure that if you were going out with a ferret you would have the appropriate things needed. I know you can leash train ferrets however, but that does not seem very practical.

--A

(#6 (permalink)) Old
star_crossd Offline
Color Me Chaotic
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Service Animals - March 22nd 2009, 07:01 PM

Ha, yeah, leashing them does seem impractical. But the thought of them as anxiety animals is nice.

So, say you do want to have one of these service animals, the ferret for example, would you have to go and ask your doctor? How would you actually go through the process of acquiring one?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Re: Service Animals - March 22nd 2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Ha, yeah, leashing them does seem impractical. But the thought of them as anxiety animals is nice.

So, say you do want to have one of these service animals, the ferret for example, would you have to go and ask your doctor? How would you actually go through the process of acquiring one?
According to this site, you need a letter from a doctor to begin training a dog as a service animal. You are not required to have paperwork saying that your dog is a service animal. However, I think you can register the animal with service dog societies and that would provide paperwork. That could probably make things easier if you are one of those people who don't look disabled--for instance, psychiatric problems. This is a fascinating topic, because I had no idea you could train your dog to wake you up in the morning or fetch your pills for you. They just "know" when to get you up. It's quite spectacular.

--A

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Nirerin Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Erin

Re: Service Animals - March 22nd 2009, 07:31 PM

I'd like a service dog. I think it would help me a lot.

But I also think that any animal who helps a person in some way should be considered a service animal.

"We are defined by opportunities. Even the ones we miss."
-- Benjamin Button.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Service Animals - March 22nd 2009, 08:27 PM

I don't think service animals should be limited--at least not severely. Quite clearly I hope I never see someone with a service lion .

The food issue is an issue. But there are solutions.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#10 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Service Animals - March 22nd 2009, 08:35 PM

I think just about any animal can be trained to be a service animal. The issue is also which animals are practical to have in daily routines, such as shopping, walking around outside, taking care of, etc... . Technically, if you could get a tiger to be a service animal, that'd work but is it practical? I think you could allow various animals to be a service animal but you have to consider your surroundings; for example, if you live in an apartment, a horse or tiger may not be practical. A dog or ferret would be.

That said, I think animals near extinction or very endangered ones shouldn't be a service animal, simply because there should be focus on having them re-populate. Perhaps considering if the animal is lethal, such as a komodo dragon or a tiger, they may be allowed but you'd need immense training and ensure somehow that the tiger doesn't get hungry and try to take a chunk out of someone/another animal. If you could ensure that, then I say the only other thing to consider is, how easy is it to train and how practical is it in your living area (and is it legal)?

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: Service Animals - March 22nd 2009, 08:36 PM

I think any animal that can be trained reliably and can live comfortably in that sort of lifestyle should be allowed. I also think that "who should be allowed to have them" can only be decided on a case by case basis.

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

(#12 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Re: Service Animals - March 22nd 2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
I don't think service animals should be limited--at least not severely. Quite clearly I hope I never see someone with a service lion .

What are some possible solutions to the food issue? How should that be regulated in your eyes. I think that service animals that are small enough to be crated should be crated in meal type situations. Animals like dogs and horses can stand or lie next to the table. Monkeys, well I guess they can sit next to the person if they can behave. If not, I want them in a cage.

--A

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Dasha Offline
Dude......woah.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Dasha

Re: Service Animals - March 22nd 2009, 11:06 PM

The first thought that popped into my head from reading this was. "OMG You can train ferrets????"

Then well, I don't think I would mind having an animal in a restaurant as long as they stayed at least a couple feet away from the food and were not the huge shedding type.

Quote:

It would be impossible to train a lion to be a service animal, simply because they are a Class I species and you can only keep them if breeding them or rehabilitating them. Either way you'd need a very special permit and those aren't fun to get.

"For is it not death nor dying that I fear. But lack of life and purpose."
-----------
Love what is mortal; hold it against your bones knowing your own life depends on it; and, when the time comes to let it go, let it go.
-Mary Oliver
  Send a message via AIM to Dasha Send a message via Yahoo to Dasha Send a message via Skype™ to Dasha 
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Service Animals - March 22nd 2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udontno View Post
What are some possible solutions to the food issue? How should that be regulated in your eyes. I think that service animals that are small enough to be crated should be crated in meal type situations. Animals like dogs and horses can stand or lie next to the table. Monkeys, well I guess they can sit next to the person if they can behave. If not, I want them in a cage.
You can't necessarily crate a service animal. If you need them, you need them. If you're at a buffet and need the service animal to guide you, and they're in a crate, then what? Possible solutions are encouraging short haired breeds of animals that do not shed much.

Although this may be controversial, you could also keep a section reserved for people without service animals that don't want to eat near animals. This would be similar to smoking and non-smoking sections. Another good reason to do this is animal allergies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasha View Post
It would be impossible to train a lion to be a service animal, simply because they are a Class I species and you can only keep them if breeding them or rehabilitating them. Either way you'd need a very special permit and those aren't fun to get.

That was one very extreme example not meant to be taken literally.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#15 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Re: Service Animals - March 22nd 2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
You can't necessarily crate a service animal. If you need them, you need them. If you're at a buffet and need the service animal to guide you, and they're in a crate, then what? Possible solutions are encouraging short haired breeds of animals that do not shed much.

Although this may be controversial, you could also keep a section reserved for people without service animals that don't want to eat near animals. This would be similar to smoking and non-smoking sections. Another good reason to do this is animal allergies.
You could take them out of that, of course. But what about a ferret or a monkey? Do you really need them with you while serving yourself at a buffet? I wouldn't want someone touching a serving utensil without washing his/her hands after touching a monkey.

That would not be practical. I live in a small town and I've personally never seen a service animal in my life. It would be too much to require a section of a restaurant for people who don't wish to eat near animals.

--A

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Kitty Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Service Animals - March 23rd 2009, 12:39 AM

If the animal can behave itself and it's not going to damage anything, then I don't see why not. I don't think a horse should be allowed because of the size and potential to injure someone. Even a miniature horse hurts when it steps on you.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Re: Service Animals - March 25th 2009, 09:39 AM

Horses can actually be better alternatives to dogs for assistant animals. They are just as easily trainable, have less of an instinct to play, and have about triple the lifespan of a dog, making them more affordable in the long term.

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: Service Animals - March 25th 2009, 11:46 AM

Dogs for sure, and possibly the only ones. If I had to expand, I would include the pygmy horses, too. But not monkeys.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
Closed Thread