TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Atlas Shrugged: Part One - November 4th 2011, 08:49 AM

Atlas Shrugged: Part One will be out on DVD
this November 8th, and I,
having my Conservative connections,
was able to get my copy early, and
I must say, it was excellent!

Trailer available here.

But more importantly, what do you think of the message of Atlas Shrugged? Do you think hank Rearden and John Galt are right in their views of the world? Should those who produce and create be forced to carry the burden of the slovenly common man? Did any of you see this film, or do you have an opinion on it or Ayn Rand?

What about things like the Anti-Dog Eat-Dog Laws, or other governmental regulations on business to "even the playing field"?

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Atlas Shrugged: Part One - November 7th 2011, 05:57 PM

I generally think what people earn, should be theirs, as long as it's earned by honest practice. Nothing else.

In the rare instance where one individual amasses so much power and money, that he dwarfs everyone around him, more severe action should be taken if he behaves irresponsibly with it.

If I was to win the EuroMillions tomorrow, I may feel or may not feel generous enough to give some of the money away to other people, charities etc. . However by no means do I believe I, or anyone else should be forced to do so, by any means whatsoever, if they be taxes, twisted regulations, or anything at all of the sort.

I believe everyone should be taxed the same amount. I get very annoyed at people who think that one individual should be forced by any means to be responsible for others, simply because one individual has more money. I grew up with a few friends like that in childhood (early teens). They either grew out of the stupid ideology, or we simply stopped being friends.

I may have more money than a beggar I walk past by on the street. Whether or not I choose to drop some money in the hat, should be a choice entirely up to me, and no one else. Nobody's business what I do with my money, and not my business what others do with theirs, so long as it doesn't affect me.

I don't know if this answers your question. My argument's a mess but owell...

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: Atlas Shrugged: Part One - November 7th 2011, 06:31 PM

I think anyone who takes Ayn Rand seriously is delusional, but thats just me.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I donít seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Atlas Shrugged: Part One - November 7th 2011, 06:41 PM

I'm not entirely familiar with the text of the novel or the film (aside from the fact that it bombed, frankly), but I am aware of it and its general message. Overall, I think there is one particular flaw with the assertion being made in the film and to some extent by Rand's philosophy: those held up as being "creators" or "producers" (i.e. wealthy industrialists by all accounts) are only in the positions they are because of the help of numerous people working on their behalf to make their creations and products a reality. Much as - to give one example - Steve Jobs and Bill Gates were both very innovate thinkers, neither of them would have gotten off the ground in the early days without others to develop, and more importantly bankroll, their respective products, neither would their companies have developed as they have. It is a gross oversimplification of the market to claim, as appears to be the case, that only entrepreneurs and innovators are producing anything of value and that the state hinders them in this process - considering how much state funding is given to companies in the developed world, and in particular how many were bailed out in 2008, it's pretty wide of the mark. As such, the film and narrative argument don't do much for me really.

On the subjects of objectivism and laissez-faire capitalism, I don't know enough about the former to comment meaningfully and on the latter I can only say the fact that it has never been implemented in its truest form suggests it's something of a utopian vision of capitalism.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

Closed Thread