TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fabrication Offline
This Time I'll Make You Proud.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Arrow Earthquake! - November 7th 2011, 12:47 AM

Soooo did any of you in the mid-west feel that earthquake last night? I know I did I guess it was felt in Texas, Arizona, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Wisconsin, and North-West Arkansas.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/06/us...-in-a-row.html

Quote:
The quake, which the United States Geological Survey said had a preliminary magnitude of 5.6, occurred about 10:53 p.m. and was centered near Sparks, Okla., a town of 137 people about 45 miles east of Oklahoma City.

Justin Reese, manager of the Boomarang Diner in nearby Chandler, Okla., the seat of Lincoln County, said the shaking went on for about a minute and 40 seconds. He said that there was some damage but that it was too dark to say how much.

“It was scary,” said Mr. Reese, who added that Oklahomans “were not used to something like that.”

Neither the police department nor the fire department in Chandler reported any emergencies related to the quake. The Lincoln County Sheriff’s Department reported some structural and road damage.

A woman’s answering the dispatcher’s line at the sheriff’s department said some boulders had broken free in the county. She described them as “rocks the size of cars.” No injuries were reported, The Associated Press said.

The United States Geological Survey said that the quake was a shallow one, about three miles deep, and that the epicenter was four miles east of Sparks.

“You could feel it coming through the ground, and the walls started vibrating,” Mr. Reese said. “It rolled kind of just like a boat or a ship would roll underneath your feet.”

In the diner’s kitchen, several large galleys were knocked over, he said, and “we had a lot of breakage from plates.”

The quake was most intense for about 40 seconds, when “it was really lifting and moving things,” he said. “The next 60 seconds everything was just vibrating.”

The earthquake on Saturday followed a smaller one reported that day at 2:12 a.m. that was felt in neighboring states. Its epicenter was in Prague, Okla., about 50 miles east of Oklahoma City.

Mr. Reese, reached by phone early Sunday, said there were some “major cracks through the brick” of the Lincoln County Courthouse after the first quake.

“Tornadoes, we have a warning of,” he said. “These we have no warning; this is a total surprise.”

Oklahoma Geological Survey researcher Austin Holland told the Oklahoma City television station KOTV that the earthquake and aftershocks occurred on a known fault line, The A.P. said, adding that residents in Prague and Sparks felt an intense shaking.
It was crazy! I was in the middle of babysitting at the time. I was sitting on the couch when all of a sudden the couch starts shaking, and I see their birdcage shaking, the plants shaking. So I stand up and run in the bedroom to my mom, and the ceiling fan was shaking. I could feel the whole apartment shaking, and not even 20 seconds after it started, we heard a loud bang above us. I thought the whole building was going to collapse it was so scary. It was my first, and I hope I don't have to experience another one.
And on a side note, my uncle lives in OKC, not very far from the epicenter. We called him to make sure he was okay. And I guess he had been woken up to another one that morning at 3am. -sigh- I just want to worry about tornados here, not earthquakes.
(I just checked an earthquake map thing, it they had yet another 2.3 aftershock at around 6pm, about and hour ago) UGHUGHUGH I'm so worried

"..And if you're perusing the social media networks, I urge you to keep your fucking opinions to yourself. If you're going ruin someone's day, ruin your own."
- Bert McCracken

Closed Thread