TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

Bullying is Okay As Long As It is Religiously or Morally Motivated, According to Michigan Republican Legislators - November 7th 2011, 09:34 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of peer pressure or bullying, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

According to Republican Senates of Michigan State, bullying is okay as long as it is religiously or morally motivated.

The Republican-led Michigan Senate recently passed a new (supposedly) anti-bullying bill named "Matt's Safe School Law," inspired by the suicide of 14-year-old Matt Epling, a Michigan teen who ended his life after relentless anti-gay bullying.

Michigan was one of only three states in the US that had not enacted any form of anti-bullying legislation. This law is meant to end that.

However, it turns out to be more of a guide to bullying, than an anti-bullying law. According to the new bill, you can bully anyone as long as you can come up with a religious or moral excuse.

Quote:
From The Washington Post:

The law, Mattís Safe School Law, named in memory of Matt Epling, who committed suicide in the wake of relentless anti-gay bullying, offers a loophole to those who want to bully gay students or anyone else they donít like. All they need to do, according to the newly passed legislation, is claim that their bullying was based on ďa sincerely held religious belief or moral conviction."

Seriously, how the hell did these guys got voted into office?

=============================

Read the full news here:

The Washington Post: [link]
Jezebel: [link]
Huffington Post: [link]
Detroit News: [link]

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 753518 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Bullying is Okay As Long As It is Religiously or Morally Motivated, According to Michigan Republican Legislators - November 7th 2011, 09:51 PM

Bullying is never okay, whatever the reason, nobody deserves to be bullied. And this is just silly. That just sounds like a free pass to go and bully anyone and everyone, its stupid, bullying is never okay, this sort of news makes me angry.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
ertyuio Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Bullying is Okay As Long As It is Religiously or Morally Motivated, According to Michigan Republican Legislators - November 8th 2011, 12:46 AM

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Hannah

Re: Bullying is Okay As Long As It is Religiously or Morally Motivated, According to Michigan Republican Legislators - November 8th 2011, 12:53 AM

Wow I think this is one of the stupidest laws I have ever heard of. Its never right to bully. And they are better off not even making a laws about bullying if they are just going to promote it and make exceptions! And plus religious people are supposed to except people no matter what because only God has the right to judge, so this doesn't even make sense! Its just giving people who aren't even religious or say they "are" an excuse to bully. This really makes me mad!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Pale Offline
Long time
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: K.

Re: Bullying is Okay As Long As It is Religiously or Morally Motivated, According to Michigan Republican Legislators - November 8th 2011, 01:31 AM

Stupid law, but at least it's only 2 loopholes.
If I believe something is morally wrong i'm going to say something to that person anyway.
The religion part is extra stupid ... religion shouldn't run schools.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Bullying is Okay As Long As It is Religiously or Morally Motivated, According to Michigan Republican Legislators - November 8th 2011, 03:32 PM

Douchebags in power. How dumb this is. I'm lost for words. Damn stupid close minded people, no... idiots.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Kyeto-X Offline
Angel without a Halo
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Will

Re: Bullying is Okay As Long As It is Religiously or Morally Motivated, According to Michigan Republican Legislators - November 8th 2011, 05:47 PM

"I HAD to beat him up, teacher. I am morally convicted to punish idiots."

Yup...this is going to go well...

"One of the things I regret the most of being able to imagine anything,
is having to fear nothing"

"Realty is a lot more malleable then most people think.
They just refuse to believe that they can do anything about it."

"If a simple electron has a small,
but nonzero chance of doing the impossible,
what is stopping us from doing the same thing?"

-Wise Sayings from a Raving Lunatic
Follow me and my new book on Facebook!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Kyeto-X 
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Bullying is Okay As Long As It is Religiously or Morally Motivated, According to Michigan Republican Legislators - November 8th 2011, 05:57 PM

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Bullying is Okay As Long As It is Religiously or Morally Motivated, According to Michigan Republican Legislators - November 8th 2011, 06:25 PM

I would facepalm at this, but given how many times I've done that this year I'm worried I'll end up doing myself some serious brain damage if I keep doing that...

Suffice it to say, this does not rebuild my faith in the American legal system one iota.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#10 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachell

Re: Bullying is Okay As Long As It is Religiously or Morally Motivated, According to Michigan Republican Legislators - November 8th 2011, 08:30 PM

Wow that is so stupid! I don't like the law at all. I hate to say this, but they are very stupid in Michigan, and I live in Michigan! I thought in the United States, religion was seperated from the state. So why would they even have a law that deals with some time of Religion? They don't really have a right to make a law like that, at least in my opinion.

~I was always scared of everything, even the carousel.~

~Don't worry about me. I'm sort of feeling fine, but by tomorrow, I'll be back on my feet again.~

-Goodnight Tonight

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Pale Offline
Long time
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: K.

Re: Bullying is Okay As Long As It is Religiously or Morally Motivated, According to Michigan Republican Legislators - November 8th 2011, 09:16 PM

"God told me to do it"

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
Our life is what we make it
I've been here a while

Name: Nick (Or Nico)

Re: Bullying is Okay As Long As It is Religiously or Morally Motivated, According to Michigan Republican Legislators - November 11th 2011, 01:26 AM

They name a law after a kid who faced anti-gay bullying, only to add a loophole in which it allows people to bully based on religious beliefs or moral convictions. Religion was probably the reason the kid was bullied in the first place.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!

(#13 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachell

Re: Bullying is Okay As Long As It is Religiously or Morally Motivated, According to Michigan Republican Legislators - November 11th 2011, 08:42 PM

I agree. Kids will still want to committ suicide because of the bullying. Anybody could make up a Religious excuse for their actions. Even if they aren't religious.

~I was always scared of everything, even the carousel.~

~Don't worry about me. I'm sort of feeling fine, but by tomorrow, I'll be back on my feet again.~

-Goodnight Tonight

(#14 (permalink)) Old
oldaccount Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Bullying is Okay As Long As It is Religiously or Morally Motivated, According to Michigan Republican Legislators - November 11th 2011, 09:47 PM

I glanced over this and instantly went "Oh hell no."
And pardon my language, but I'm pretty sure this is what everyone is thinking right now.
In who's right fucking mind is it okay to bully someone? If you're religious and personally condemn the acts of homosexuality, then don't fucking do it, and don't condemn the people who do because it's not your place. If you don't like someone because their religion isn't the same, who fucking cares? Live YOUR life, and DON'T YOU DARE SAY IT'S YOUR PLACE TO TRY TO LIVE SOMEONE ELSE'S. In no fucking way is it ever okay to bully someone for any - god - damn - reason.

I rest my case.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Le Papillon Offline
a secret you can keep
I can't get enough

Name: Samuel

Re: Bullying is Okay As Long As It is Religiously or Morally Motivated, According to Michigan Republican Legislators - November 19th 2011, 09:07 PM

this is why i hate the michigan government T_T theyre all assholes. and the saddest thing.. i wasnt even supprised to hear that my homestate government was acctualy stupid enough to do something like this

formerly snowstorm, GoneBeyondRepair, and Breathless in Love
Repose en Paix, Grandad/mom H., Sito, Nay, Mary, Aunt S., Peter, Katie, Lexi, Mrs. Radoye, Mandii, Trevor, Megan, Uncle T., Erika, Aunt R., Braxton, Connie, Adam, Grandpa, Buttons ♥
The world will bleed its bloody tale. People will throw their stones. But the one thing you must always remember is:
You no longer walk alone.
-Blake Bliss

(#16 (permalink)) Old
David14 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: David

Re: Bullying is Okay As Long As It is Religiously or Morally Motivated, According to Michigan Republican Legislators - November 19th 2011, 10:27 PM

Hi All,
Bullying is never all right people should never have to go thought been bullied waht so every
if you are been bullied and would like some help or advice please talk to some one on hear or go to www.cybermentors.org.uk and we have some very helpful cybermentors and counsellors online from 8am till 2am every day all year round.

take care all
From
David14

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Bullying is Okay As Long As It is Religiously or Morally Motivated, According to Michigan Republican Legislators - November 19th 2011, 11:33 PM

lol ok...

they're putting a bad name on republicans and americans in general.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
Our life is what we make it
I've been here a while

Name: Nick (Or Nico)

Re: Bullying is Okay As Long As It is Religiously or Morally Motivated, According to Michigan Republican Legislators - November 21st 2011, 07:42 PM

The Michigan Legislation sent the bill back because of that loophole. It failed.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!

Closed Thread