TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
snoogums Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Blue

Remembrance day <3 - November 11th 2011, 08:57 PM

Today I am thinking of all the soldiers who have fought for our freedom, Thank you. I am also remembering people close to me who have died my dad, my grandpa and grandma and my best friend Shy. I love them all and miss them so much <3 So who are you remembering today?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lottie Offline
Retro TH'er- since 2007.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Lottie

Re: Remembrance day <3 - November 11th 2011, 09:07 PM

On the 11th hour on the 11th day I switched my music off and I observed that two minute silence in memory of the fallen.

It appalled me how many people did not stop doing what they were doing. Teenagers were running around in the shop and people were still blabbing away on their phones. It's shocking how little respect people have nowadays. I mean, is it really that hard to stand still, think about those who lost their lives for us and to just shut up for two minutes?! I understand if there is cultural differences/people don't want to observe the silence- that their choice, but at least be quiet and respect the wishes of people around them!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
snoogums Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Blue

Re: Remembrance day <3 - November 11th 2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
It appalled me how many people did not stop doing what they were doing. Teenagers were running around in the shop and people were still blabbing away on their phones. It's shocking how little respect people have nowadays.
I completely agree with you! People should care a little more about the people that die for them and their country.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Remembrance day <3 - November 11th 2011, 09:11 PM

I'm remembering my Pepere. He passed away March 9th 2011 due to a heart attack but he's a veteran.
My grandfather who is still alive is also a veteran so I took pride in that too.
I took a moment of silence to remember the fallen even those who I did not know and I will always honor and love them for what they did/do for this country.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
ARTPOP Offline
I've been here a while

Name: :)

Re: Remembrance day <3 - November 14th 2011, 09:44 AM

It's a bit late but I did dothe silence and I did wear my poppy with pride.

Today I saw images in the paper of the BL Parade in Westminster, a man lost his legs and was brain damaged in a taliban bombing, he he came to pay his respects to his fallen comrades. He can barely walk, but he got out of his wheel chair with the aid of his prosteric legs for 10 mins.

Things like this make me feel i'm so lucky. What a hero!

Oh yes, and at the time I was on a train journey and the women opposite me wouldn't stop blabbering! I'm obviously deaf but I saw their lips moving. BUT, they did shut up, I think a man on the other table told them it was 11

I'm a superstar because I do pageants!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: Remembrance day <3 - November 17th 2011, 04:21 AM

Makes me feel deep contrition for all of the young men that had to witness and die at the hands of the worst of the human condition.
War is goddamn awful as it is, and I can't imagine what kind of hell those men went through.
In that respect, I remember the dead and the living dead, and honour them.

One million miles away...

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marguerite

Re: Remembrance day <3 - November 17th 2011, 07:25 AM

I usually stop at 11 each year but this year I was at school at they decided we'd all have a minute of silence while the last post played at 10. Beats me.

I was thinking of my Grandfather who fought in the Korean War and died earlier this year.

RIP Grandpa.

To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: Remembrance day <3 - November 17th 2011, 01:52 PM

The best part of my Veterans (or Remembrance) Day was, I got to roll over and thank my boyfriend for doing what he does. He's not a Vet...but he is currently serving with the Illinois National Guard, and I couldn't be more proud. I also thanked my brother-in-law, who did 3 tours of duty in Iraq and Afghanistan, my grandfather who fought during the Korean war, my boyfriend's mother who was also in the National Guard, my boyfriend's great grandmother who served in WWII in the Navy, My uncle Jack who was an Army paratrooper in the Korean war, and all my friends and extended "family" who are also serving or preparing to serve.

Thank you, Vets.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Remembrance day <3 - November 17th 2011, 04:56 PM

I stopped at 11am on the 11th to remember all those who have been caught up in the conflicts of the last century. In particular, I remembered my grandad who survived the retreat at Dunkirk and the return to Europe, and my other grandad who was sent down the mines to help the war effort. I also remembered all those out there at present, which include some former classmates from school. Mostly, though, I remembered to be grateful for the fact that people were willing to put their lives on the line to safeguard our future and our freedoms, and to hope that we never get to the stage where we take them for granted. If we do, it will be an insult to the memories of those who died.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread