TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Super Mario 3D Land attacked by PETA - November 20th 2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
This weekend, Nintendo released Super Mario 3D Land, the first side-scrolling Mario title designed exclusively for the 3DS device. Critics like the game, mostly. But the folks at PETA do not.

More specifically, the folks at PETA do not like the inclusion of the "Tanooki suit," the familiar raccoon-like cloak and tail donned by Mario in some levels of Super Mario 3D Land. (In fact, the Tanooki suit first appeared back in 1988 with Super Mario Bros. 3.)

"Tanooki may be just a 'suit' in Mario games, but in real life, tanuki are raccoon dogs who are skinned alive for their fur," PETA reps wrote on its "Mario Kills Tanooki" site. The site includes a (relatively gruesome) desktop game, where a skinned tanuki chases Mario, who is dripping blood, across a familiar landscape of pipes, blocks, and gold coins.

Just to be clear, the PETA game was designed by the organization, not Nintendo. The actual Mario game does not include any blood nor skinning. Players receive the Tanooki suit after collecting special leaves.

"Tanukis are real-life raccoon dogs who are beaten and, as PETA's undercover exposés show, often skinned alive for their fur," PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman told Kotaku this week. "This winter, everyone can give raccoon dogs and other fabulous animals a 1-UP by keeping our wardrobes fur-free." PETA alleges that Super Mario 3D Land sends a clear message: That it's OK to wear fur, no matter how brutally it is obtained.

In a statement to Eurogamer, a Nintendo spokesman shook off the criticism.

"Mario often takes the appearance of certain animals and objects in his games," the spokesman told Eurogamer. "These have included a frog, a penguin, a balloon and even a metallic version of himself. These lighthearted and whimsical transformations give Mario different abilities and make his games fun to play. The different forms that Mario takes make no statement beyond the games themselves."
Source: http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/...tacked-by-PETA

This is why I don't support PETA. I think they're mental. I don't agree with wearing fur nor do I wear make-up which has been tested on animals but this is ridiculous. It's an innocent power-up in a kids' games. All Mario does is grabs a leaf which gives him a racoon suit.

If you don't know what a Tanooki Suit is in mario games it's this: http://www.mariowiki.com/Tanooki_Suit

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 760704 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Will sterry

Re: Super Mario 3D Land attacked by PETA - November 20th 2011, 10:53 PM

Well peta are hypocrites, they will rescue an animal but attack and kill a human? They have been known to bomb peoples houses for christ sake for the sake animals. This article just shows how emotionally frail this micky mouse organisation is if they get offended by something that is not real.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Super Mario 3D Land attacked by PETA - November 20th 2011, 11:14 PM

PETA are obviously dipshits. I understand people being annoyed at animals being skinned alive... but does Nintendo really have to state from this point onwards that "no animals were harmed in the making of this game".

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Super Mario 3D Land attacked by PETA - November 21st 2011, 03:25 AM

Just about anyone can understand without being told, there's a clear difference between moving some pixels on a screen resulting in them changing shape and colour versus skinning an animal alive so it changes colour and shape. Forget about not being on the same page, it's not even the same book. Besides, if PETA feels so strongly, why did they wait 23 years to rag about it and make a diddly shit remake game?

I often wonder if PETA is just a large organization that trolls for the lulz.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Super Mario 3D Land attacked by PETA - November 21st 2011, 03:35 AM

Peta Slammed Pres Obama for killing a fly now a game?

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Super Mario 3D Land attacked by PETA - November 21st 2011, 03:47 AM

Agree. This is too far. I'm a vegetarian and for animal rights, and what I think is that PETA wastes money. They're a waste. They could be doing so much to ACTUALLY protect animals and ACTUALLY help their cause, and instead, they make a big deal out of nothing. I don't give a crap about the causes they promote either. The amount of animals killed for meat vs. the amount of animals killed for fur is exponentially higher for meat, but they promote the hell out of their fur campaign because people will actually follow it, yet really, there isn't a lot of good done.

I don't know. Not a big fan.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
LostTeen011 Offline
Blah :P
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Noelle

Re: Super Mario 3D Land attacked by PETA - November 21st 2011, 04:21 AM

I'm just suprised they haven't criticized all those turtles in the game getting smashed yet.

Pure Imagination

"Music is the universal language that connects the world as one" -LostTeen011

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Super Mario 3D Land attacked by PETA - November 21st 2011, 12:52 PM

http://features.peta.org/mario-kills-tanooki/

/dying. Haven't PETA got better things to do? Y'know, actually helping animals and not making weird games spoofs.

By the way, the video is quite disturbing.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Will sterry

Re: Super Mario 3D Land attacked by PETA - November 21st 2011, 01:15 PM

I knew that mario was an evil bastard.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Super Mario 3D Land attacked by PETA - November 21st 2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudkip View Post

/dying. Haven't PETA got better things to do? Y'know, actually helping animals and not making weird games spoofs.

The video is pretty fucked up. I'm with PETA in so far that all the skinning and animal cruelty is bad. But how mario is to blame... is beyond me.

I can't imagine a kid going "hey, Mario's tanooki suit gives him special powers, I want one too, mum", then getting a real one.

Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Super Mario 3D Land attacked by PETA - November 21st 2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man And XX Master View Post
Just about anyone can understand without being told, there's a clear difference between moving some pixels on a screen resulting in them changing shape and colour versus skinning an animal alive so it changes colour and shape. Forget about not being on the same page, it's not even the same book. Besides, if PETA feels so strongly, why did they wait 23 years to rag about it and make a diddly shit remake game?

I often wonder if PETA is just a large organization that trolls for the lulz.
It's not a remake by the way. It's a stand alone game.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Super Mario 3D Land attacked by PETA - November 21st 2011, 04:23 PM

On a positive note I managed to get a time of 0 seconds in that game where you Mario in his tanooki coat.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Super Mario 3D Land attacked by PETA - November 21st 2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDF View Post
On a positive note I managed to get a time of 0 seconds in that game where you Mario in his tanooki coat.
How the hell did you get zero? lol

(#14 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Super Mario 3D Land attacked by PETA - November 21st 2011, 07:23 PM

And this is why, for all my desire to improve animal welfare standards and stamp out cruelty to animals, I will never join PETA as long as I have breath in my lungs. They are idiots. It's also somewhat hypocritical given their record with destroying animals...

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#15 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Super Mario 3D Land attacked by PETA - November 22nd 2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:

How the hell did you get zero? lol
Time bonuses for every 10 coins you get

(#16 (permalink)) Old
XxMallyPrydexX Offline
Average Joe

Name: Mally

Re: Super Mario 3D Land attacked by PETA - November 23rd 2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I'm just suprised they haven't criticized all those turtles in the game getting smashed yet.
Haha they have in SuperChick Sisters (another PETA game) the KFC version, they show activists of PETT (People for the Ethical Treatment of Turtles) attacking Mario Those games are so much fun... but I do think they should be using the money that is donated to them for a better purpose...

EDIT: And in their defense... they aren't doing it to attack the game, they're using its popularity as leverage to spread awareness of the fur farms that breed and sell raccoon-dogs (tanooki) fur.

They can have their world
We'll create our own
I may not be brave or strong or smart
But somewhere in my secret heart

I know
Love will find a way
Anywhere I go
I'm home
If you are there beside me

Last edited by XxMallyPrydexX; November 23rd 2011 at 07:01 PM.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: Super Mario 3D Land attacked by PETA - November 23rd 2011, 08:52 PM

Now that is just stupid. It's a game, in which a character collects something and gets a suit. If Mario ran around killing animals and wearing their skin then I'd understand but collecting leafs or something isn't really that bad.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
XxMallyPrydexX Offline
Average Joe

Name: Mally

Re: Super Mario 3D Land attacked by PETA - November 23rd 2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Now that is just stupid. It's a game, in which a character collects something and gets a suit. If Mario ran around killing animals and wearing their skin then I'd understand but collecting leafs or something isn't really that bad.
Charlie, they aren't doing it to attack the game... like I said above...

Quote:
And in their defense... they aren't doing it to attack the game, they're using its popularity as leverage to spread awareness of the fur farms that breed and sell raccoon-dogs (tanooki) fur.

They can have their world
We'll create our own
I may not be brave or strong or smart
But somewhere in my secret heart

I know
Love will find a way
Anywhere I go
I'm home
If you are there beside me

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Super Mario 3D Land attacked by PETA - November 23rd 2011, 10:11 PM

PETA.

Trollin' fools since 1980.

Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Super Mario 3D Land attacked by PETA - November 24th 2011, 01:47 AM

Quote:

I don't know about you but I thought it was a decent game. It certainly needs a lot of work but it has potential, sort of a Super Mario Bros-Texas Chainsaw Massacre hybrid game.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Offline
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: Super Mario 3D Land attacked by PETA - November 24th 2011, 03:44 AM

This is my beef with PETA. There is nothing wrong with standing up for animal rights and trying to obtain safer living conditions for animals. But PETA is just really over the top about the whole thing. They seem to care more about saving animals than saving humans, and that really bugs me. So really my opinion is if you want to save the rights on animals so bad you infringe on those of humans, go be an animal yourself.

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
In the hazy milk of twilight
No one had to know
The moon asked the crow...
  Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen  
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Super Mario 3D Land attacked by PETA - November 24th 2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
This is my beef with PETA. There is nothing wrong with standing up for animal rights and trying to obtain safer living conditions for animals. But PETA is just really over the top about the whole thing. They seem to care more about saving animals than saving humans, and that really bugs me. So really my opinion is if you want to save the rights on animals so bad you infringe on those of humans, go be an animal yourself.
Humans are animals so PETA should be protecting us.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Fabrication Offline
This Time I'll Make You Proud.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Re: Super Mario 3D Land attacked by PETA - November 25th 2011, 09:55 PM

It's just a video game for crying out loud! Last time I checked, video games are virtual. Virtual as in, NOT IN REAL LIFE.
The 'fur' is made out of pixels and bytes and what not. Not made from actual animal fur.

"..And if you're perusing the social media networks, I urge you to keep your fucking opinions to yourself. If you're going ruin someone's day, ruin your own."
- Bert McCracken

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Super Mario 3D Land attacked by PETA - November 26th 2011, 11:26 AM

I've played multiple Mario games. I never noticed the Tanooki Suit, or I guess I never thought about it.

It is things like this that alienate many people who would otherwise support PETA. It isn't like Nintendo is actually killing tanooki, and it isn't as if the fact that Mario wears one inspires people to do so anymore than it inspires people to grow a mustache, gain some weight, and wear overalls all of the time.

Closed Thread