TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
myra1994 Offline
Recovering Phycho
Not a n00b
**
 
myra1994's Avatar
 
Name: Jasmine
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: Stamford, england

Posts: 89
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Exclamation my oppinion on discrimination. trying to change the world - November 21st 2011, 09:03 PM

Why do people discriminate? The colour of their skin? How big or small they are? The place that they are from? The people they choose to love? The skills they have? The way they think? The way they feel? What makes those who are themselves so wrong in the eyes of so many? We all have our own personalities, we all have hearts and we all have the same physical anatomy. We all have the same needs and we all get hurt. So why do some people think it is OK to hurt people for being individual? Whether you are black, Asian, white, gay, straight, lesbian, bisexual, trans-gender, depressed, autistic, downs syndrome, bipolar, British, African, or American. Whether we grasp certain aspects of life, education and social situations and not grasp others. What makes us so different to the people we discriminate against? I'm not saying at all that I am perfect in this matter, I know that I still need to work at becoming less judgemental also but I'm trying! All I ask of anyone who reads this is that you try to understand and accept that we are all different, individual and unique but we are also all the same. Could people just stop hurting those they discriminate against because you may as well be discriminating against your brother, sister mum or dad because we are all human beings. Cant you see the hurt you are causing by refusing to unite? We are all responsible for the discrimination that occurs in our world.
Please, next time you hear someone being discriminative please don't just laugh along, challenge them and make them realise they are being ignorant, rude and hurtful. That way, maybe by the time our children's children grow up, they can all be united and accepting of our differences.
If you agree with what I have said please share this to your friends as it is an issue very close to my heart that I would like to try to rectify. I am only one mouth among billions but I'm asking you to step up as I have done tonight and try to change the world.
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 761241 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
Harmony♥'s Avatar
 
Name: Shannon
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: IRAW!

Posts: 5,741
Blog Entries: 11
Join Date: March 31st 2010

Re: my oppinion on discrimination. trying to change the world - November 21st 2011, 09:13 PM

I smiled when I read this post. It's great that you think this way, and don't judge a book by it's cover. I'm the same way, and I think there should be more people like you and me in this world.

However, people discriminate for many reasons that we may never understand. Our parents and grandparents all grew up in a time where discrimination was the 'in' thing. I know my own grandparents grew in the time when gay/lesbian people weren't the norm, where they kept it hidden from the world. And, where the color of your skin determined where on a bus you sat, what water fountain you drank from, where you sat at lunch and what jobs you could do. Many families raised their children this way, and they too, raised their children that way. My grandparents and parents were raised that way, and I refused to believe in what they did. Why should I, when someone has accepted me for who I am?

Whether we like it or not, discrimination is going to happen. We'll all be judged by the color of our skin, our sexualities, our personalities, the way we choose to live our lives. Life isn't perfect, and neither is anyone else.











I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant




HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
The Goblins Blade's Avatar
 
Name: Will sterry
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: Ash, England

Posts: 569
Join Date: November 14th 2011

Re: my oppinion on discrimination. trying to change the world - November 21st 2011, 09:17 PM

Humans will always attack and single out others, its sad but true. Ive had looks becouse of the way i dress, but i just ignore them and get on with my life.
   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
chickenonsteroids's Avatar
 

Posts: 509
Join Date: August 9th 2011

Re: my oppinion on discrimination. trying to change the world - November 21st 2011, 09:23 PM

Stop there. You can't get rid of an idea.

We gave up peace as soon as we learnt how to kill other humans.

Knowledge has given us the power to discriminate (it's stupid but not all knowledge is good)

Trying to please everyone results in failure... slow painful contradictory failure.

Just throwing that out there.


Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
myra1994 Offline
Recovering Phycho
Not a n00b
**
 
myra1994's Avatar
 
Name: Jasmine
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: Stamford, england

Posts: 89
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: my oppinion on discrimination. trying to change the world - November 21st 2011, 09:31 PM

i see it as the human race developing. we may have discriminated in the past but that doesn't mean we have to in the future. even sci fi movies such as star wars display worlds where races live together and understand each other. i understand many people have view like ours but if we can stop even one discriminative person each think about the knock on effect that could have concerning wars. there would be less to fight about surely. there will always be disbutes but we can make a small difference a little bit at a time
   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while
********
 
Loving Linux Penguin's Avatar
 
Name: Chris
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 1,634
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: December 27th 2009

Re: my oppinion on discrimination. trying to change the world - November 21st 2011, 11:38 PM

I agree with you completely, Jasmine. And I just completely refuse to believe that we HAVE to discriminate as part of who we are. I mean, sure, there will always be judging that takes place to SOME extent, but there's no reason that we shouldn't be able to peacefully coexist overall.

And I trust that you didn't mean to be offensive, but nobody "chooses" to love anyone. People just love whoever they love.


Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)


last updated on 11/11/17
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while
********
 
Guile's Avatar
 
Name: Guile
Gender: Male
Location: United States

Posts: 1,616
Join Date: January 24th 2010

Re: my oppinion on discrimination. trying to change the world - November 22nd 2011, 02:36 AM

Some people are naturally better. Genetics are passed down through the generations, and as such, the superior people have the right to discriminate against inferior individuals. Survival of the fittest is a natural law, let's not try and break that. Now I'm not talking about "Ohh you're Jewish, I hate you" or "Ohh, you're into comic books, nerd!" (Unfounded discrimination), I'm talking about scientific principles and facts that back up the superiority of some humans based on their inherited genetic code.


Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)
   
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while
********
 
Loving Linux Penguin's Avatar
 
Name: Chris
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 1,634
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: December 27th 2009

Re: my oppinion on discrimination. trying to change the world - November 22nd 2011, 02:46 AM

Such as WHAT exactly? ^^


Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)


last updated on 11/11/17
   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict
************
 
Coffee.'s Avatar
 
Name: Traci
Age: 26
Gender: she/her/hers
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 8,147
Blog Entries: 639
Join Date: October 29th 2009

Re: my oppinion on discrimination. trying to change the world - November 22nd 2011, 02:54 AM

No human being is better than another. Period. Discrimination is how weak people express fear of the unknown, by being hateful.


I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while
********
 
Guile's Avatar
 
Name: Guile
Gender: Male
Location: United States

Posts: 1,616
Join Date: January 24th 2010

Re: my oppinion on discrimination. trying to change the world - November 22nd 2011, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving Linux Penguin View Post
Such as WHAT exactly? ^^
Need I post the Eugenics tree again?


Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)
   
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
myra1994 Offline
Recovering Phycho
Not a n00b
**
 
myra1994's Avatar
 
Name: Jasmine
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: Stamford, england

Posts: 89
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: my oppinion on discrimination. trying to change the world - November 22nd 2011, 09:31 AM

omg Guile are you a Nazi or something. your sounding like you believe in a superious race! surely you cannot be that shallow. no offense intended
   
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough
*********
 
dr2005's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Location: UK

Posts: 2,221
Join Date: February 14th 2010

Re: my oppinion on discrimination. trying to change the world - November 22nd 2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
Need I post the Eugenics tree again?
Need I post about why eugenics is nonsense again?

Anyway, I agree with the sentiments above - the mere fact that discrimination has been part of our part and is part of our present does not mean ipso facto that it must also be part of our future. Otherwise, most of us would still be deprived of the vote, apartheid would still be in place in South Africa and feudal lords would still reign supreme. We can quite easily shed the less salubrious aspects of our collective character if we so wish - perhaps the biggest problem is people don't want to. That is what needs to be challenged, and so in that respect I applaud the OP on this.


"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while
********
 
Guile's Avatar
 
Name: Guile
Gender: Male
Location: United States

Posts: 1,616
Join Date: January 24th 2010

Re: my oppinion on discrimination. trying to change the world - November 22nd 2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myra1994 View Post
omg Guile are you a Nazi or something. your sounding like you believe in a superious race! surely you cannot be that shallow. no offense intended
Aka "Oh my God! Guile, are you a Nazi or something? You're sounding like you believe in a superior race! Surely you cannot be that shallow, no offense intended"

No, I am not a Nazi. In that Nazi is short for Nationalsozialistdeutschlandabrepartei (National Socialist Germn Worker's Party). I am not a Socialist, and I do not believe in Socialist systems. I support the elimination of inferior genetic traits through limited euthenasia, and sterilazation.


Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Marguerite's Avatar
 
Name: Marguerite
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: Australia

Posts: 1,064
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: June 1st 2010

Re: my oppinion on discrimination. trying to change the world - November 23rd 2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
Some people are naturally better. Genetics are passed down through the generations, and as such, the superior people have the right to discriminate against inferior individuals. Survival of the fittest is a natural law, let's not try and break that.
You do realise that this ^ process of thought led to this v process of thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
"Ohh you're Jewish, I hate you" (Unfounded discrimination).


To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: my oppinion on discrimination. trying to change the world - November 24th 2011, 02:05 AM

Discrimination can in a way be a form of character-building by making the person toughen up and not be a flake. I'll admit, many individuals in my family are discriminatory and racist, hell so am I. When it comes to eugenics, I support positive eugenics but less so for negative eugenics. I've always thought if someone says a discriminatory comment or some other comment meant to be hurtful, I laugh it off, unless I'm in a pretty angry mood to start with although that's pretty rare. If the comments continue, I look at it as an invitation to see how far I can bend them until they break.


I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
   
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Formerly Puppy-Sized Elephant
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
ElsatheDepressionSlayer's Avatar
 
Name: Elsa
Age: 24
Gender: Female

Posts: 994
Join Date: July 19th 2011

Re: my oppinion on discrimination. trying to change the world - November 24th 2011, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man And XX Master View Post
Discrimination can in a way be a form of character-building by making the person toughen up and not be a flake.
How, exactly?
I can see how tough love could build character, but discrimination is just wrong in my opinion.
   
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: my oppinion on discrimination. trying to change the world - November 24th 2011, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles37 View Post
How, exactly?
I can see how tough love could build character, but discrimination is just wrong in my opinion.
If you were extremely sensitive to silly insults, discrimination would make you feel like a pile of shit. It takes strength to shake that feeling off and further strength to not fall into the pit of despair. Take playing guitar as an analogy. When you just start playing guitar (steel not nylon strings), your fingers are going to hurt pretty quickly. Eventually you keep practicing and build up callouses so you can play longer without feeling discomfort. If you don't develop callouses because you want to get good without putting much effort in, then your fingers will still hurt and you may eventually give up playing guitar.


I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
myra1994 Offline
Recovering Phycho
Not a n00b
**
 
myra1994's Avatar
 
Name: Jasmine
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: Stamford, england

Posts: 89
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: my oppinion on discrimination. trying to change the world - November 24th 2011, 05:23 PM

see i understand where the whole superior comments are coming from. i can often feel superior because i am classed as fairly intelligent. however when i think to myself, "for f**ks sake why am i in a class with people with stupid" i think to myself, well they may not be as clever as me in this area but there will be something they do beat me at. i believe some people should be "murdered" at birth for the sake of civilisation if they will not be able to contribute to society. but i have learned that many people have special skills, ideas, beliefs that they bring into this world. even people with downs syndrome contribute to society, in my college it is a group of disabled people who set up and run the sweet shop day after day. so i see where your coming from, that some people are better than others, but that isn't because of race or disabilities, sexuality or anything like that, its because of their skills, intellect, passion, that sort of thing
   
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: my oppinion on discrimination. trying to change the world - November 24th 2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myra1994 View Post
see i understand where the whole superior comments are coming from. i can often feel superior because i am classed as fairly intelligent. however when i think to myself, "for f**ks sake why am i in a class with people with stupid" i think to myself, well they may not be as clever as me in this area but there will be something they do beat me at. i believe some people should be "murdered" at birth for the sake of civilisation if they will not be able to contribute to society. but i have learned that many people have special skills, ideas, beliefs that they bring into this world. even people with downs syndrome contribute to society, in my college it is a group of disabled people who set up and run the sweet shop day after day. so i see where your coming from, that some people are better than others, but that isn't because of race or disabilities, sexuality or anything like that, its because of their skills, intellect, passion, that sort of thing
That's discrimination because their differences lead to unfair treatment. What sorts of people do you suggest would be murdered at birth? Even if someone cannot wipe their own arse because they're that mentally disabled, caring for them requires hiring people or working to care for them at home, so indirectly they do contribute.


I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
   
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
The Goblins Blade's Avatar
 
Name: Will sterry
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: Ash, England

Posts: 569
Join Date: November 14th 2011

Angry Re: my oppinion on discrimination. trying to change the world - November 24th 2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myra1994 View Post
see i understand where the whole superior comments are coming from. i can often feel superior because i am classed as fairly intelligent. however when i think to myself, "for f**ks sake why am i in a class with people with stupid" i think to myself, well they may not be as clever as me in this area but there will be something they do beat me at. i believe some people should be "murdered" at birth for the sake of civilisation if they will not be able to contribute to society. but i have learned that many people have special skills, ideas, beliefs that they bring into this world. even people with downs syndrome contribute to society, in my college it is a group of disabled people who set up and run the sweet shop day after day. so i see where your coming from, that some people are better than others, but that isn't because of race or disabilities, sexuality or anything like that, its because of their skills, intellect, passion, that sort of thing
Disabled people are still people, even if they cannot do things by themselfs. So you are saying that people who cannot put anything into society should be killed upon birth? Wow, where do you get your logical reasoning from?
   
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Formerly Puppy-Sized Elephant
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
ElsatheDepressionSlayer's Avatar
 
Name: Elsa
Age: 24
Gender: Female

Posts: 994
Join Date: July 19th 2011

Re: my oppinion on discrimination. trying to change the world - November 24th 2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man And XX Master View Post
If you were extremely sensitive to silly insults, discrimination would make you feel like a pile of shit. It takes strength to shake that feeling off and further strength to not fall into the pit of despair. Take playing guitar as an analogy. When you just start playing guitar (steel not nylon strings), your fingers are going to hurt pretty quickly. Eventually you keep practicing and build up callouses so you can play longer without feeling discomfort. If you don't develop callouses because you want to get good without putting much effort in, then your fingers will still hurt and you may eventually give up playing guitar.
But discrimination is NOT always just silly little insults. Discrimination could range from an insult to beating someone severely, or even killing them. Yes, insults can make someone tougher, but someone should not have to deal with being hated for how they're born. I can see how your argument works for insults generally, but discrimination is way different.
   
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Marguerite's Avatar
 
Name: Marguerite
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: Australia

Posts: 1,064
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: June 1st 2010

Re: my oppinion on discrimination. trying to change the world - November 25th 2011, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myra1994 View Post
see i understand where the whole superior comments are coming from. i can often feel superior because i am classed as fairly intelligent. however when i think to myself, "for f**ks sake why am i in a class with people with stupid" i think to myself, well they may not be as clever as me in this area but there will be something they do beat me at. i believe some people should be "murdered" at birth for the sake of civilisation if they will not be able to contribute to society. but i have learned that many people have special skills, ideas, beliefs that they bring into this world. even people with downs syndrome contribute to society, in my college it is a group of disabled people who set up and run the sweet shop day after day. so i see where your coming from, that some people are better than others, but that isn't because of race or disabilities, sexuality or anything like that, its because of their skills, intellect, passion, that sort of thing
I think people who don't capitalise should be murdered.

p.s,

THIS IS not SPARTA!!


To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy
   
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: my oppinion on discrimination. trying to change the world - November 25th 2011, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles37 View Post
But discrimination is NOT always just silly little insults. Discrimination could range from an insult to beating someone severely, or even killing them. Yes, insults can make someone tougher, but someone should not have to deal with being hated for how they're born. I can see how your argument works for insults generally, but discrimination is way different.
if they're killed then they're not strengthened in any way, so that extreme display of discrimination was clearly not in the range I was referring to. Getting beaten severely does help to strengthen oneself, especially if they are permanently injured as they have to overcome the disability every day. That range is successful if we're talking about humans in a vacuum but in a practical setting it still is successful although the impairments may outweigh the successes. You're right, people should not have to deal with being hated from birth but that's like saying people shouldn't have to live on the streets due to no money and wars shouldn't happen because we should all love each other. It's going to happen so might as well turn it into something positive so people can build off it and use it to be successful rather than dwell on how negative it is because feeling bummed out, sad, and whatnot is productive and gets you nowhere good.


I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
   
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
BDF's Avatar
 
Name: BDF
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: Europe

Posts: 2,523
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 28th 2009

Re: my oppinion on discrimination. trying to change the world - November 25th 2011, 10:56 AM

Discrimination doesn't necessarily mean hurting someone as such. In a way, I discriminate against people, by choosing which of them I want to be friends with and which I don't.


On a personal level (who you chose to be friends with), it is illogical to discriminate against someone on the basis of something they've had no choice in, such as their skin colour. It just simply doesn't make any damn sense to me. Even if someone doesn't like black people... how the hell can you blame them for being black, and so discriminate against them?

You can judge, and therefore discriminate against someone on the basis of what choices they make. It's how you chose your friends. I'm not usually fond of loud people, or guys who smack on cheap make-up and go to nightclubs half naked. I usually look upon it as an insecurity and attention seeking, and not something I want anything to do with. I'm unlikely to get abrasive which such people, unless I'm somehow confronted with them. I won't go out of my way just to throw insults, nor do I particularly feel the need to... but I'm unlikely to look for friendships with such people. It's not like it causes any harm anyway, there are 7 billion other people now for them to chose from. If they don't harm me, I don't harm them. It's different for people who deliberately, or out of negligence harm me in some way or other. For the example incompetent managers in the banking system. Yes, I think they suck and I have a strong dislike towards most of them even though I haven't even met them. Same applies to a lot of politicians who don't have a clue what they're doing and are negligent in their jobs. Prices of everything are rising, and there are fewer jobs to pay for those goods because of them. Same applies to some jerkbag on the train who thinks he's entitled to two seats (paid for one) when all others are taken, because he has a £50,000 salary and is somehow "more important" because of it. I believe I'm entitled to feel aversion towards those kind of people, and insult as I please.


On a more business level, it is logical to discriminate appropriately against certain people, even if the discrimination is based on something those people had no choice in. For example, you're not going to hire a cripple to work on a construction project, climbing scaffolding. It's an extreme example, but less extreme are many cases were foreigners with appalling accents are hired in British call centres. It's bad business and stupid. You need the right people for the right job, with the right eduction and abilities. When I'm talking to someone with an Indian accent and can't understand a damn shit of what they're saying, I just put the phone down, since it's a waste of time talking. I'll go somewhere else, or call back later and talk with someone with good diction.


"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.



Last edited by BDF; November 25th 2011 at 11:13 AM.
   
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
myra1994 Offline
Recovering Phycho
Not a n00b
**
 
myra1994's Avatar
 
Name: Jasmine
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: Stamford, england

Posts: 89
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: my oppinion on discrimination. trying to change the world - November 25th 2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man And XX Master View Post
That's discrimination because their differences lead to unfair treatment. What sorts of people do you suggest would be murdered at birth? Even if someone cannot wipe their own arse because they're that mentally disabled, caring for them requires hiring people or working to care for them at home, so indirectly they do contribute.
i mean molar pregnancies, anyone who if going to live a short painful life should be put out of their misery at birth. didn't mean it to sound so harsh
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
change, discrimination, oppinion, world

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright ©1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.