TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Jeremy Clarkson vs. the public sector - December 1st 2011, 02:10 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

http://apps.facebook.com/theguardian...eremy-clarkson

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15977813

On The One Show yesterday, Jeremy Clarkson said, about the public sector strikers "I would take them outside and execute them in front of their families."

I didn't see the show, but I heard about it on the news earlier today and I'm absolutely disgusted by it. I'm struggling right now to put my reaction into words, so I'll leave this for you guys to discuss.

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 767199 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Will sterry

Re: Jeremy Clarkson vs. the public sector - December 1st 2011, 02:18 PM

Well, jeremy clarkson is a torie dicksucker so it wouldent suprise me if he said that.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Name: Scott

Re: Jeremy Clarkson vs. the public sector - December 1st 2011, 04:34 PM

He said it in a tongue in cheek manner in the interest of balance. It wasn't to be taken seriously but the media love a frenzy. I don't like Jeremy Clarkson in general but the demonisation of him over this is a bit much. Most people complaining didn't actually see the show, rather like the Jonathan Ross fiasco.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: Jeremy Clarkson vs. the public sector - December 1st 2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snufkin View Post
He said it in a tongue in cheek manner in the interest of balance. It wasn't to be taken seriously but the media love a frenzy. I don't like Jeremy Clarkson in general but the demonisation of him over this is a bit much. Most people complaining didn't actually see the show, rather like the Jonathan Ross fiasco.
How in the holiest of all fucks is saying you want to execute people in front of their families "tongue in cheek in the interest of balance"?

This coming from a guy who can't turn off his sense of humor, he shouldn't have said that.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I donít seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Re: Jeremy Clarkson vs. the public sector - December 1st 2011, 06:57 PM

Because he said he "absolutely" knew people who were on strike, then said since it's the BBC he has to keep it fair and balanced, so to counter his "absolutely" comment and to 'balance' it out, he said they should be shot.

I don't like Jeremy Clarkson at all, but the clips clearly shows he was hardly being serious.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Jeremy Clarkson vs. the public sector - December 1st 2011, 07:47 PM

I don't really like this guy, however, I think it's all being taken to seriously and although I think he did step out of the limits and probably shouldn't have said what he said, he wasn't aiming it to one person and it is clear it was a joke and I think that the amount I have heard about it and how often it is on the news it's a bit over the top and everyone is being a little dramatic! I think it's ridiculous they all went on strike anyway.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#7 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Jeremy Clarkson vs. the public sector - December 1st 2011, 07:57 PM

The BBC put him there and asked him that question because they knew he'd give this sort of answer. It's just the type of thing he'd say. I don't particularly give a shit. It doesn't affect me in any way, and doesn't affect anyone else from my point of view, which is why I don't get why people are getting so worked up over this. Now they're going to waste trade union money on a lawsuit that probably won't make it anyway.

He doesn't give a shit, why should we? I don't agree, I don't disagree, I don't care.

Plus it's not like the strikes are going to make any difference anyway in my opinion. In fact they're just putting more strain on the economy, increasing the chances of their pensions getting lowered further.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Re: Jeremy Clarkson vs. the public sector - December 1st 2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lygophobia View Post
I think it's ridiculous they all went on strike anyway.
Why?.......

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Jeremy Clarkson vs. the public sector - December 1st 2011, 08:03 PM

Out of curiosity... when have trade union strikes actually reaped benefits for the people striking in the past generation in the UK (apart from time off work)? I'm not saying they haven't, I'm just asking for examples. I myself don't know any.

Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Jeremy Clarkson vs. the public sector - December 1st 2011, 08:59 PM

Why? I'm not going to say why in this thread, that would be going of the topic a little.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Re: Jeremy Clarkson vs. the public sector - December 1st 2011, 09:15 PM

I guess I react strongly to it even without seeing the clip because both my parents are public sector workers... =/

Would it still be funny if he'd said that all the black workers should be executed in front of their families?

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Jeremy Clarkson vs. the public sector - December 1st 2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictional View Post
I guess I react strongly to it even without seeing the clip because both my parents are public sector workers... =/

Would it still be funny if he'd said that all the black workers should be executed in front of their families?
Executed for what? Being black, or going on strike? It makes all the difference.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Re: Jeremy Clarkson vs. the public sector - December 2nd 2011, 12:39 AM

Maybe if you'd watched the clip it would help put it into perspective.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
Our life is what we make it
I've been here a while

Name: Nick (Or Nico)

Re: Jeremy Clarkson vs. the public sector - December 2nd 2011, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lygophobia View Post
Why? I'm not going to say why in this thread, that would be going of the topic a little.
Oh yes, because going on strike against a failing system that screws people and their families over is a ridiculous thing to demonstrate against. /end sarcasm

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: Jeremy Clarkson vs. the public sector - December 2nd 2011, 02:04 AM

I can't take him seriously because whenever I see his face and hear his voice, I think of this Top Gear episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Jeremy Clarkson vs. the public sector - December 2nd 2011, 11:37 AM

This guy says it perfectly:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/comment/tal...145617414.html

(#17 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Jeremy Clarkson vs. the public sector - December 2nd 2011, 11:45 AM

I am just so offended by all the offence and the people taking offence at being offended and by the people not offended by that offence. If you are offended by any of this, then I apologise for the offence.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Jeremy Clarkson vs. the public sector - December 2nd 2011, 10:27 PM

OH, YOU'RE OFFENDED?

FINE. BE OFFENDED.

NOTHING HAPPENS WHEN YOU'RE OFFENDED.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Re: Jeremy Clarkson vs. the public sector - December 3rd 2011, 01:12 PM

Over 21,000 complaints about Wednesday's comment, and today he has labelled people who kill themselves by jumping in front of trains as selfish. He doesn't know when to stop...

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Will sterry

Re: Jeremy Clarkson vs. the public sector - December 3rd 2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snufkin View Post
Over 21,000 complaints about Wednesday's comment, and today he has labelled people who kill themselves by jumping in front of trains as selfish. He doesn't know when to stop...
He is a smug twat who hates the working class and is earning 1.2 miliion a year for simply driving cars around.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Re: Jeremy Clarkson vs. the public sector - December 3rd 2011, 09:58 PM

And they said the class war is over...

Between UNISON and mental health workers both wanting his sacking, I'm not sure who Clarkson is gonna aim for next. Gay marriage? Either way, I'm excited to see what stupid shit he says next.

Again, I wasn't really offended by his suicide comments, since I can kind of see his point. But at the same time, in a week where Gary Speed hanged himself and Clarkson is already in a spot of bother, he should really have known better.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Jeremy Clarkson vs. the public sector - December 5th 2011, 06:55 PM

I saw the interview at the time, and while I didn't feel the need to complain (unlike 31,000 others it would seem) I did think he crossed the line quite comprehensively. There's being edgy and then there's just being a dick, and you can probably guess which one I think is more applicable to his actions. The comments about suicides were particularly disgraceful.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

Closed Thread