TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TJ- Offline
I am your master.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: TJ

Talking Pull out method just as effective as condoms, study shows. - December 3rd 2011, 02:00 AM

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=7688558&sid=26

According to the article:

Pull out effectiveness -96%
condoms - 99%

It also states that 2 separate studies have shown there are no sperm in precum unless the male has ejaculates in the past few hours AND has not urinated since.

12:12 PM [Rob] Apart from when n**bs put stuff in their signatures.
12:12 PM [Rob] But then I edit the signatures, ban them, and initiate a full scale cover up.

Last edited by Gaia; December 5th 2011 at 12:32 PM. Reason: restoring version
  Send a message via AIM to TJ- Send a message via MSN to TJ-  
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 767949 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: Pull out method just as effective as condoms, study shows. - December 3rd 2011, 02:34 AM

I'm sure the pull-out method is very effective, if the guy can actually pull out before he ejaculates. Problem is, a lot of guys don't have that kind of control.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Re: Pull out method just as effective as condoms, study shows. - December 3rd 2011, 02:43 AM

I agree with lissa. Personally, I dont have control over that. Once Im into it, I cant stop and I really dont want to; so for me its much more safer for me to just use a condom and not take a chance of not 'pulling out' in time. Although the study is interesting, Im still a huge fan of condoms and birth control. Things happen.

Chris
I hope you know that you deserve it all. The best, the most honest, the most beautiful purest love in the world. Not only to be loved by others, but to be loved by yourself. To look in the mirror and think "Yes, I'm exactly who I want to be". To speak up and be proud of yourself. To be brave and open. You deserve the nicest and most caring people to walk into your life. You deserve it all, you know. The whole world...

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Pull out method just as effective as condoms, study shows. - December 3rd 2011, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .TJ. View Post
[Edited by Kitty.]
Quote:

According to the article:

Pull out effectiveness - XX%
condoms - XX%

It also states that 2 separate studies have shown there are no sperm in precum unless the male has ejaculates in the past few hours AND has not urinated since.
I'm sorry, but it's incredibly misleading for you to just post those percentages as absolute fact. Those percentages are only if you are using those methods perfectly and teenagers usually don't use contraceptives perfectly. The withdrawal method does not work for teenagers because male teenagers usually don't have enough control to pull out in time. Condoms are much easier to use correctly and they protect from STIs. If schools were to start advocating the withdrawal method then we would see an increase in unwanted pregnancies and STIs; that's just common sense.

And personally, I've never been able to understand the appeal of the withdrawal method. Condoms do not decrease the sensation of intercourse by that much, but withdrawing and not getting to orgasm definitely seems like it would ruin the experience.

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.

Last edited by Kitty.; December 5th 2011 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Removed reference to deleted material

10 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: Pull out method just as effective as condoms, study shows. - December 3rd 2011, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimmeringFaerie View Post
And personally, I've never been able to understand the appeal of the withdrawal method. Condoms do not decrease the sensation of intercourse by that much, but withdrawing and not getting to orgasm definitely seems like it would ruin the experience.
I have to disagree with you here. It's incredibly hard for my boyfriend to orgasm with a condom on. And, usually, if the guy is pulling out, he does finish. Either he'll do it himself, or the person he's having sex with gets him off.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
TJ- Offline
I am your master.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Pull out method just as effective as condoms, study shows. - December 3rd 2011, 03:18 AM

As stated by the article. Incorrect use of this method reduces effectiveness to 27% iirc. Anyone care to find out what that is for condoms? And this isn't said to be equal or better than condoms. But it's meant to show that not using a condom and pulling out if you have the self control and love and trust for your Parker than it is as nearly as effective.

12:12 PM [Rob] But then I edit the signatures, ban them, and initiate a full scale cover up.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
TJ- Offline
I am your master.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Pull out method just as effective as condoms, study shows. - December 3rd 2011, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimmeringFaerie View Post

I'm sorry, but it's incredibly misleading for you to just post those percentages as absolute fact. Those percentages are only if you are using those methods perfectly and teenagers usually don't use contraceptives perfectly. The withdrawal method does not work for teenagers because male teenagers usually don't have enough control to pull out in time. Condoms are much easier to use correctly and they protect from STIs. If schools were to start advocating the withdrawal method then we would see an increase in unwanted pregnancies and STIs; that's just common sense.

Of course you would orgasm. Use your partners hand or mouth. And you can't say anything about how a condom reduces feeling for a guy since you are female. Much in the same way a male cannot say anything about the pains or experiences of childbirth.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Pull out method just as effective as condoms, study shows. - December 3rd 2011, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Of course you would orgasm. Use your partners hand or mouth. And you can't say anything about how a condom reduces feeling for a guy since you are female. Much in the same way a male cannot say anything about the pains or experiences of childbirth.
A female who has a fiance who has said that it hardly makes a difference in sensation. And you haven't explained how the withdrawal method is more appealing than using another form of contraception. In my experience, the best thing about having intercourse is being able to orgasm with your partner at practically the same time. Using the withdrawal method would completely ruin that. Not to mention, for girls who are really concerned about getting pregnant, the withdrawal method would be incredibly stressful because you have to worry about whether your partner will actually pull out in time, which would also ruin the mood.

If the only thing going for the withdrawal method is that you don't have to use a barrier (which is really only an option for people in monogamous relationships without STIs), then why not just use hormonal methods which are more effective and easier to use correctly anyway?

PM me!

Dreaming about the day

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Pull out method just as effective as condoms, study shows. - December 3rd 2011, 04:52 AM

Very inaccurate. What about pre-cum? And what about STIs?

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
TJ- Offline
I am your master.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Pull out method just as effective as condoms, study shows. - December 3rd 2011, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee❤ View Post
Very inaccurate. What about pre-cum? And what about STIs?
It's for pregnancy prevention. Not sti's easy way to not get an sti is to be monogamous and not sleep around. The article did go into pre cum. There is 0 sperm in it unless the male base recently ejaculates. The pre cum sperm is majorly a myth.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Offline
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: Pull out method just as effective as condoms, study shows. - December 3rd 2011, 05:16 AM

No matter what that study says, I still wouldn't rely on it if you are using no other birth control and are not at risk for STDs. That's IF you are using it perfectly. It's all based on timing, and some guys (even some men) have a hard time with pulling out in time, so I would say it is still quite faulty. For example, I just look to a friend of mine, who had an unplanned pregnancy because her boyfriend didn't pull out in time. So I would say it's still the least accurate method of birth control.

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
In the hazy milk of twilight
No one had to know
The moon asked the crow...
  Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
TJ- Offline
I am your master.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Pull out method just as effective as condoms, study shows. - December 3rd 2011, 05:29 AM

So none of you are disputing the fact it is just as effective. But instead can't trust a man enough with the responsibility of handling the birth control method?

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Offline
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: Pull out method just as effective as condoms, study shows. - December 3rd 2011, 05:32 AM

Nope. It would be my body and I would be the one getting pregnant. I trust only me to make my birth control decisions. If I wanted he could have input on which WAY to use birth control, but I still make the final decision. And I say the withdrawal method is not accurate enough.

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
In the hazy milk of twilight
No one had to know
The moon asked the crow...
  Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen  
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Pull out method just as effective as condoms, study shows. - December 3rd 2011, 07:17 AM

A lot of methods would be effective if they were done properly. It's always best to have a back-up plan such as condoms & birth control.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Pull out method just as effective as condoms, study shows. - December 3rd 2011, 01:49 PM

The pull out method may be effective but I'll stick with condoms. I'd rather be safe from pregnancy and STIs, than sorry.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Crimsonkin Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: Pull out method just as effective as condoms, study shows. - December 3rd 2011, 02:36 PM

I find that i have very good self control when pulling out. Even so i dont like to take the chance I always use a condom. I have tried the pullout method and it just does not feel as good even when my partner finishes me off. Thats just my opinion.

Things do get better in time.
I used to believe that things would never get better.
But after many long years things are looking up!
So don't ever give up!
Stay strong and move on!
Things WILL get better!

Make my day let me help you. PM me anytime

Send a message via AIM to Crimsonkin Send a message via MSN to Crimsonkin  
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: Pull out method just as effective as condoms, study shows. - December 3rd 2011, 03:18 PM

I have to admit the study was done when the pull out method was used perfectly every time. That assuming that the guy pulled out well ahead before he finished. A lot of guys admit they don't have this kind of control.

Not to mention that the study states myths and facts in the whole precum issue.

And you guys, quit arguing over the sensation difference in condoms! It changes with every man. My boyfriend has complained he feels almost nothing, even with the thinnest condoms we can find. Since I'm also on the pill, I let him go bare, but I still ask him to pull out well ahead of time. I give my boyfriend the choice between using a condom and finishing in me, or going bare and pulling out. He chooses pulling out every time, because he literally feels almost nothing when using a condom.

And TJ, no I would not trust my boyfriend with the sole responsibility of birth control simply by pulling out. It's my body, I have a pretty tattoo on my hip I don't want to ruin ( ), I'm broke so I couldn't afford an abortion, and I do not want a baby that he couldn't help take care of and pay for. I'd rather not get pregnant

You guys are all being kind of narrow minded in this, and almost refusing to accept the fact that everyone is different and everyone feels sex differently.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Jaguar Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Stephen Davis

Re: Pull out method just as effective as condoms, study shows. - December 3rd 2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maloo View Post
I'm sure the pull-out method is very effective, if the guy can actually pull out before he ejaculates. Problem is, a lot of guys don't have that kind of control.
That's exactly the problem. It's just too easy to get all romantic feeling and think how wonderful it would be to have a baby with who you're having sex with.

Also, it's never made clear that withdrawal has to take place before the guy gets close to ejaculating. Too many guys want to wait until they're going to ejaculate no matter what before they pull out and it's too easy to get some semen in her vagina on the way out.

What just happened?

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Chair Offline
I'm a chair.
Average Joe

Name: Chair FritzFurniture

Thumbs down Re: Pull out method just as effective as condoms, study shows. - December 3rd 2011, 04:53 PM

oh please...
Take a look a the figures for yourself. This 'commentary' took figures from the 'corrected' values given in a 2002 national survey. Confidence interval of 14%-24% vs 15%-21%? age group 15-44?! samples of 800+ vs 3800+? Unreported pregnancies?
What do you wanna bet that the majority of those that didn't report were teens who would have pushed the confidence interval of 14%-24%?
The pulling out method is no where near as effective for horny teenagers (...and this site's called TeenHelp, not TeenMisinform)

I'm also very curious to know who's paying Rachel K. Jones, would not be surprised if it was drug companies.

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/journ...79-407-410.pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2811396/

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Ryan1 Offline
A Man Of My Word
I've been here a while

Name: Ryan

Re: Pull out method just as effective as condoms, study shows. - December 4th 2011, 12:38 AM

In my unprofessional opinion this is wrong, regardless of the statistics you found its common knowledge that the ‘rhythm method’ or aka the 'pull out method’ is a very poor choice of contraception. For several reasons every male is different in the amount of pre-cum they produce during sex. Pre-cum does in fact have traces of sperm, it may not be a lot but it only takes one to get a lady pregnant. Not to mention that the ‘pull out method’ has no protection against STD/ STI’s which is a major concern amongst young adults & Teenager’s.

I’ve heard of people that now have babies because they relied on the pull out method, it really boils down to a ton of factors that simply aren’t controllable for the woman in any given situation. For the purposes of Teenhelp we should advertise better methods such as condoms birth control ect. I’ve closed this thread because people may get the wrong idea about what safe sex really is.

This is in no way a jab towards you T.J I’m just trying to keep everyone’s best interest in mind, if you have any questions feel free to message me.

For safe sex alternatives click here.

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
same same, but different.
Outside, huh?

Name: Lou

Re: Pull out method just as effective as condoms, study shows. - December 5th 2011, 12:36 PM

I've decided to reopen this article and move it to Current Events and Debates as I feel it's more suitable here. Nothing wrong with a good debate right?

Personally, I'd rather be in charge of my own birth control, it's my body so I want to be in control.
Also, the fact that studies have shown that there is a chance of sperm being in the pre-ejaculate. See here. You'll only be able to read the entire article with an account or institutional login, but you can get the main points from the available abstract.
Personally, I don't want to take that risk, so I'll give my body plenty of delicious hormones to counter pregnancy thanks [:

"Life is pain, anybody that says different is selling something" ~ Fezzik's Mother, The Princess Bride. ♥

"To die, would be an awfully big adventure."~ Peter Pan

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3

(#22 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Pull out method just as effective as condoms, study shows. - December 5th 2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
So none of you are disputing the fact it is just as effective. But instead can't trust a man enough with the responsibility of handling the birth control method?
I'm not arguing that with perfect use it isn't as effective, because I haven't done the study myself to make that call. I am arguing that it is far more likely to be used incorrectly than condoms or another method, which I think is a far more important statistic to worry about. Who cares what the absolute best outcome of using the withdrawal method is? I'm far more concerned with the most likely outcome.

And it isn't about not trusting men with birth control. It's about not trusting a man who is in the middle of intercourse with birth control. I wouldn't trust myself to stop in the middle of sex, so how can I expect my partner to?

PM me!

Dreaming about the day

Last edited by ShimmeringFaerie; December 5th 2011 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Fixing typing errors

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Pending...Work in progess
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: Pull out method just as effective as condoms, study shows. - December 6th 2011, 01:08 AM

TJ, I'm sure that you and hundreds of guys are glad someone posted "proven" facts that it's now okay to have sex without the use of a condom AND not get her pregnant! Quite the nice Christmas present!

But on a serious note, it is true that the typical guy will not have the willpower to think about pulling out in time. Some might be minute-men(can't last for long) or they get too excited and pop there goes the bun in the oven. And I do agree that pulling out would ruin being able to have an orgasm with your partner at the same time. Until you feel like having a child with someone special, regardless if this study is genuine or has been biased so a guy can justify not using a condom, I'd say the most responsible thing you can do is still wear the condom.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Pull out method just as effective as condoms, study shows. - December 6th 2011, 01:34 AM

Do you still want to take the chance
"?

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Chasers Offline
Dual-Spirit
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chase

Re: Pull out method just as effective as condoms, study shows. - December 6th 2011, 03:03 AM

Hey there!

I just took a college course on human sex and well I LOVED IT.

First off, these studies are not creditable. I want to see them in journals, not world news.

Second off, precum does contain sperm. It may not young sperm and may be older, but pre cum DOES contain sperm, two studies can't simply disprove that.

And just use a condom. DO you want an STD or STI? Its not worth the pain involved. Trust.

So stand in the rain
Stand your ground
Stand up when it's all crashing down
You stand through the pain
You won't drown
And one day, whats lost can be found
You stand in the rain
-SuperChick

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Chair Offline
I'm a chair.
Average Joe

Re: Pull out method just as effective as condoms, study shows. - December 8th 2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasers View Post
Hey there!

I just took a college course on human sex and well I LOVED IT.

First off, these studies are not creditable. I want to see them in journals, not world news.

Second off, precum does contain sperm. It may not young sperm and may be older, but pre cum DOES contain sperm, two studies can't simply disprove that.

And just use a condom. DO you want an STD or STI? Its not worth the pain involved. Trust.
should at least glance at the other replies before posting.... both the commentary and the survey have been linked to.
also any 2 studies can disprove anecdotal stats any day (meaning if you're gonna say precum does contain sperm, link us to a source).

(#27 (permalink)) Old
tithe_girl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Nicole

Re: Pull out method just as effective as condoms, study shows. - December 8th 2011, 10:22 PM

While all this may be true I think it’s important to note how easily it would be to mess up with this method and end up with someone pregnant. Condoms may not always be used perfectly, but they’re still easier to use correctly than just relying on self control.
Also, the amount of stress to both parties while using the pull out method can dampen the experience. Although the idea of not using a condom may be appealing, the worry of possibly messing it up can ruin the whole experience.
With so many different kinds of condoms on the market today, as well as the birth control pill if you’re in a monogamous relationship and not worried about STI’s, is it really worth the risk?

(#28 (permalink)) Old
til'death Offline
BABIES?!?
Not a n00b

Name: Courtney

Re: Pull out method just as effective as condoms, study shows. - December 8th 2011, 10:42 PM

TJ I think you should have worded your OP better BUT I agree.
If you're in a long term committed relationship and have the control to wait to cum after you pull out and STD's and stuff are NOT a concern for you then the pull out method may very well be an alternative for you.

But if you are NOT in a long term committed relationship and do have to worry about the possibilities of STD's and such... I would say stick to condoms!

I have never used BC nor have I been a regular with condoms... Both of my children were conceived when my husband DID NOT pull out!

the pull out method should not replace BC and contraceptives if your circumstances are not practical for pregnancy, or you could get an STD.

When I saw you I was afraid to meet you.
When I met you I was afraid to kiss you.
When I kissed you I was afraid to love you.
Now that I love you, I am afraid to lose you.

He makes me smile
it's not just any regular smile either
it's that radiant smile, you know that one you get
when you know you have fallen head over heels in love
with the man of your dreams

(#29 (permalink)) Old
Chasers Offline
Dual-Spirit
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chase

Re: Pull out method just as effective as condoms, study shows. - December 16th 2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chair View Post
should at least glance at the other replies before posting.... both the commentary and the survey have been linked to.
also any 2 studies can disprove anecdotal stats any day (meaning if you're gonna say precum does contain sperm, link us to a source).

I can't link you a source, but I can give you the author and book.

David Buss - The Evolution of Desire

and Robin Baker - Sperm Wars

Great books if you want to learn why we do what we do and what sperm is made up off and its goal in its short life. These books contain MASS research done globally.

I would like to see these two studies re done and then publish the results. The limitations, the extraneous variables? Were the male and female actually attracted to each other? What about the Coolidge effect?

I just don't believe two studies are accurate in that manner.

Did you know you have a higher chance of getting pregnant the ONE time you cheat compared to routine sex with your partner?

Like I said, taking a course about sex and education myself, I feel as if these few articles can't be credible.

And ever research should be skeptical.

So stand in the rain
Stand your ground
Stand up when it's all crashing down
You stand through the pain
You won't drown
And one day, whats lost can be found
You stand in the rain
-SuperChick

(#30 (permalink)) Old
Chair Offline
I'm a chair.
Average Joe

Re: Pull out method just as effective as condoms, study shows. - December 17th 2011, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasers View Post

I can't link you a source, but I can give you the author and book.

David Buss - The Evolution of Desire

and Robin Baker - Sperm Wars

Great books if you want to learn why we do what we do and what sperm is made up off and its goal in its short life. These books contain MASS research done globally.

I would like to see these two studies re done and then publish the results. The limitations, the extraneous variables? Were the male and female actually attracted to each other? What about the Coolidge effect?

I just don't believe two studies are accurate in that manner.

Did you know you have a higher chance of getting pregnant the ONE time you cheat compared to routine sex with your partner?

Like I said, taking a course about sex and education myself, I feel as if these few articles can't be credible.

And ever research should be skeptical.

Oh yes. The two books published in 1994 and 1996 have better figures that the ones in the 2002 national survey.

This study is about chances of getting pregnant, not 'infidelity, sexual conflict and other bedroom battles', nor 'a unified theory of human mating behavior'.
I don't need to read either of those to question the figures in a more recent study, from a national survey.

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Pull out method just as effective as condoms, study shows. - December 17th 2011, 12:31 PM

There's also the fact that every time somebody has unprotected sex, they don't always get pregnant.

Use condoms.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
Closed Thread