TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Name: Scott

Virgina Tech gunmen - December 8th 2011, 05:45 PM

Reports coming in of gunmen on the Virgina Tech campus. I haven't heard much about it yet, but I just wondered if anyone from here goes there, or if anyone knows what's going on.

University spokesman has said that 2 people have been killed in the shooting, according to Reuters.

Last edited by Snufkin; December 8th 2011 at 05:51 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Virgina Tech gunmen - December 8th 2011, 06:56 PM

Here ya go!
http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/08/justic...html?hpt=us_c1

Basically... A gunman was stopped at a routine traffic stop outside of the Coliseum parking lot by McComas hall. The police officer who made the stop was shot and killed and the gunman went off on foot toward a parking lot known as "the Cage," where another victim was found dead.
Following that, more shots were reportedly heard near Torgersen which is a building across campus. The school is completely locked down right now, and evacuations are taking place in some of the buildings.

My sister is keeping me up-to-date (she's a student at VT, getting updates that are close to being in "realtime"), so I'll post as soon as I know more. Please keep the students, victims, and the gunman in your thoughts/prayers. VT has been through entirely too much, especially when it comes to shootings.

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

Last edited by TakeTheLeap; December 8th 2011 at 09:16 PM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: Virgina Tech gunmen - December 8th 2011, 07:09 PM

Jesus H Christ. Really?

So much for the fucking "gun-free zones". My money's on the guy being a drug dealer that the Campus police pulled over. And fo course, since most campus police are unarmed... yeah.

Anyway, I have the police scanner if anyone is interested.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/a...=cwp&ctid=2879

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I don’t seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Virgina Tech gunmen - December 8th 2011, 08:53 PM

Update! Press conference at 4:30 stated that there was no longer an immediate threat to students. A gun was recovered at the pond where the second victim was found. Activities on campus have resumed as normal.
More can be found on CNN or wsls.com.

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Virgina Tech gunmen - December 8th 2011, 08:53 PM

Déjà vu...?

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Virgina Tech gunmen - December 8th 2011, 09:09 PM

New update: Law enforcement officials believe the gunman to be dead. It has not been confirmed or denied in the press conference.

Last edited by TakeTheLeap; December 8th 2011 at 09:15 PM.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Re: Virgina Tech gunmen - December 8th 2011, 09:21 PM

Yep, looks like he's a goner http://abcnews.go.com/US/virginia-te...7#.TuE4S_K8C32

(#8 (permalink)) Old
til'death Offline
BABIES?!?
Not a n00b

Name: Courtney

Re: Virgina Tech gunmen - December 8th 2011, 09:26 PM

I was watching this on the news.

When I saw you I was afraid to meet you.
When I met you I was afraid to kiss you.
When I kissed you I was afraid to love you.
Now that I love you, I am afraid to lose you.

He makes me smile
it's not just any regular smile either
it's that radiant smile, you know that one you get
when you know you have fallen head over heels in love
with the man of your dreams

(#9 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Virgina Tech gunmen - December 8th 2011, 09:31 PM

Unfortunately my first response to this was "Not again...". I'm not going to get into the gun ownership debate here because that's not appropriate right now, but it seems this is far too easy to do for all manner of reasons. Thoughts and prayers with all those affected.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Re: Virgina Tech gunmen - December 8th 2011, 09:45 PM

I just want to say that Its a tragic day once again.

I wish the best for the families of both.

Chris
I hope you know that you deserve it all. The best, the most honest, the most beautiful purest love in the world. Not only to be loved by others, but to be loved by yourself. To look in the mirror and think "Yes, I'm exactly who I want to be". To speak up and be proud of yourself. To be brave and open. You deserve the nicest and most caring people to walk into your life. You deserve it all, you know. The whole world...

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Virgina Tech gunmen - December 8th 2011, 09:54 PM

How horrible. I'm so sorry Virginia Tech, god that's just awful, to happen again.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Virgina Tech gunmen - December 9th 2011, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005 View Post
Unfortunately my first response to this was "Not again...". I'm not going to get into the gun ownership debate here because that's not appropriate right now, but it seems this is far too easy to do for all manner of reasons. Thoughts and prayers with all those affected.
I'll save you the trouble. When someone makes the decision that they are going to acquire a firearm for use in a crime, no amount of registries, laws, or giant signs that say "gun-free zone" are going to stop him. This has been proven time and time again, and our response every time is to blame the tool instead of the user. Every time, these stupid emotional naive knee-jerk reactions come flooding out of the woodwork. And every time, we sit back in shock and wonder why it doesn't work. "oh, the laws just need to be stronger. Oh, we just need to ban guns. Oh, we'll just blah blah blah blah."

You cannot deny this fact. Gun-free zones and gun control laws DO NOT PREVENT THIS SHIT.

"oh it reduces the amount of-"
NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

If, as a country, we want to start taking actual steps to help end this shit, we have to get rid of the incredibly retarded stigma that blaming and therefor removing an inanimate object is going to stop people from doing this. I don't want to hear about gun crime statistics, I don't want to hear about how stabbings aren't as bad as shootings, I don't want to hear illogical utopian ideals about worldwide gun control.

I want to hear ideas about mental health screening. I want to hear ideas about reforming the process to get a gun so that it is more efficient and safe in the sense that one uniform method can be used across the country to determine to should and should not carry a firearm, instead of 50 different methods, or lack there of, of ways make people swim through a bureaucratic, and obviously FAILING method of gun control.

Prohibition did not stop booze. The war on drugs has not stopped drugs. Banning guns will not stop gun crimes.

Until people wake up and smell the bullshit, these kinds of things are going to keep happening.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Virgina Tech gunmen - December 9th 2011, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTank77 View Post
I'll save you the trouble. When someone makes the decision that they are going to acquire a firearm for use in a crime, no amount of registries, laws, or giant signs that say "gun-free zone" are going to stop him. This has been proven time and time again, and our response every time is to blame the tool instead of the user. Every time, these stupid emotional naive knee-jerk reactions come flooding out of the woodwork. And every time, we sit back in shock and wonder why it doesn't work. "oh, the laws just need to be stronger. Oh, we just need to ban guns. Oh, we'll just blah blah blah blah."

You cannot deny this fact. Gun-free zones and gun control laws DO NOT PREVENT THIS SHIT.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

If, as a country, we want to start taking actual steps to help end this shit, we have to get rid of the incredibly retarded stigma that blaming and therefor removing an inanimate object is going to stop people from doing this. I don't want to hear about gun crime statistics, I don't want to hear about how stabbings aren't as bad as shootings, I don't want to hear illogical utopian ideals about worldwide gun control.

I want to hear ideas about mental health screening. I want to hear ideas about reforming the process to get a gun so that it is more efficient and safe in the sense that one uniform method can be used across the country to determine to should and should not carry a firearm, instead of 50 different methods, or lack there of, of ways make people swim through a bureaucratic, and obviously FAILING method of gun control.

Prohibition did not stop booze. The war on drugs has not stopped drugs. Banning guns will not stop gun crimes.

Until people wake up and smell the bullshit, these kinds of things are going to keep happening.
It's not about stopping it, it's about reducing it. And any reduction is better than no reduction, to deny that is stupid.
And you don't want to hear about statistics? Surely the statistics prove someone's point?

Alcohol is too easy to make for them to be able to ban it. And drugs are highly addictive, not that you can use it as a reason anyway unless you have evidence to show that the rate of people on drugs is the same as or lower than it is currently in places where they're legal?

(#14 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Virgina Tech gunmen - December 9th 2011, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobies View Post

It's not about stopping it, it's about reducing it. And any reduction is better than no reduction, to deny that is stupid.
And you don't want to hear about statistics? Surely the statistics prove someone's point?

Alcohol is too easy to make for them to be able to ban it. And drugs are highly addictive, not that you can use it as a reason anyway unless you have evidence to show that the rate of people on drugs is the same as or lower than it is currently in places where they're legal?
Statistics? Okay, I've got statistics for you!
I wrote a paper a few years back in relation to gun laws. This statistic came from a cute little town called Kennesaw, GA. They passed an ordinance requiring there to be a gun in each household. The year it was passed (1982), only one gun crime was committed and it happened between two out-of-staters at a hotel. Crime rates dropped significantly after the law was passed, and they have managed to stay at that low level. Now, Kennesaw's population has increased since then, so rates have gone up slightly, but for a city its size, they still have the lowest crime rate in the country.

Now, for the numbers... In 1981, the crime rate was 11 burlaries per 1,000 residents. By 1998, Kennesaw's burglary rate was 243 per 100,000 residents (or .243 per 1,000). In a comparable city such as Decatur (same population size), crime rate was 4,094 property crimes per 100,000.
(citation: http://www.rense.com/general9/gunlaw.htm)
Not a single murder has occurred in Kennesaw since the ordinance was passed.

The ordinance was passed in response to a citywide gun ban in Morton Grove, IL. I'm sure you can guess where the statistics were going with this.... GUNS BANNED. NO MORE CRIME?! Nope, sorry. Immediately following the gun ban, crime rates rose by a significant 15.7%.

Here's another article that says the same thing I just went over (basically), but this one is from 2007. http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=41196

There are your statistics. Now. The only "gun control" I want is the control I have as I pull the trigger.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
_sunsets64. Offline
dreaming of a glass castle...
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Anna

Re: Virgina Tech gunmen - December 9th 2011, 01:30 AM

^^ It's a nice thought, but see the problem is that is that even if they do have screening tests like that, only the people who legally buy guns and get licenses would go through the tests. The most dangerous people -- gang members, drug dealers, school shooters, etc. -- would get a hold of weapons through the black market, so it wouldn't affect them. It's actually been proven that when guns are allowed to everyone, the crime rate is lowered because the "powerful" criminals are suddenly a lot less powerful now that everyone has a gun just like them. Otherwise, the innocent are left defenseless and those who illegally obtain firearms and plan on using them in illegal, violent ways have nothing stopping them.

This is so sad though, and my heart goes out to everyone involved today. I'm so sorry for the two men whose lives ended so abruptly and horribly and for the tragic mess that that man who shot them must have been.

"Those 3 words are said too much, but not enough" <3
"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive. Never surrender."

PM/VM me if you ever need someone to talk to or just want to chat (:
http://liveforthememories.tumblr.com/

(#16 (permalink)) Old
_sunsets64. Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Virgina Tech gunmen - December 9th 2011, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Statistics? Okay, I've got statistics for you!
I wrote a paper a few years back in relation to gun laws. This statistic came from a cute little town called Kennesaw, GA. They passed an ordinance requiring there to be a gun in each household. The year it was passed (1982), only one gun crime was committed and it happened between two out-of-staters at a hotel. Crime rates dropped significantly after the law was passed, and they have managed to stay at that low level. Now, Kennesaw's population has increased since then, so rates have gone up slightly, but for a city its size, they still have the lowest crime rate in the country.

Now, for the numbers... In 1981, the crime rate was 11 burlaries per 1,000 residents. By 1998, Kennesaw's burglary rate was 243 per 100,000 residents (or .243 per 1,000). In a comparable city such as Decatur (same population size), crime rate was 4,094 property crimes per 100,000.
(citation: http://www.rense.com/general9/gunlaw.htm)
Not a single murder has occurred in Kennesaw since the ordinance was passed.

The ordinance was passed in response to a citywide gun ban in Morton Grove, IL. I'm sure you can guess where the statistics were going with this.... GUNS BANNED. NO MORE CRIME?! Nope, sorry. Immediately following the gun ban, crime rates rose by a significant 15.7%.

Here's another article that says the same thing I just went over (basically), but this one is from 2007. http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=41196

There are your statistics. Now. The only "gun control" I want is the control I have as I pull the trigger.
I guess you posted this as I was typing, but yeah, that's what I was talking about when I said it's been proven that everyone having guns lowers crime and trying to control guns just increases it.

"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive. Never surrender."

(#17 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Virgina Tech gunmen - December 9th 2011, 01:41 AM

Quote:

Reducing it isn't good enough. Anyone who is genuinely okay with "more stabbings" or "slightly less gun crime" is delusional.

Quote:

Because generally, the statistics have proven that gun control =/= crime control. For every statistic thrown out by both sides, there always an exception that completely flies in the face of whatever point is trying to be made.

Example-
Give everyone guns!= Somalia
Guns always cause crime!= Switzerland

Quote:
And trying to ban something that has been engraved in American society since the revolutionary war as a symbol of freedom is going to just go so smoothly right?

Lets say, tomorrow, we wake up, and every registered gun, or every gun in the system (I.E- the legal ones) is suddenly gone. Guns are banned. Now what?

"Well then only criminals would have guns."

That's right. Suddenly, we have a completely disarmed populace, an armed populace of criminals with illegal, unregistered (and essentially invisible) weaponry, and a police force that isn't even legally obligated to actually protect your personal safety.

(See "Castle Rock V. Gonzalez" and "Warren V. District of Columbia")

What happens then? Increased robbery. Increased burglary. Increased armed assault. Increased Rape. Increased Homicides. Decreased personal safety. Decreased property values. Decreased liberty. Increased oppression.

You have an unchecked armed criminal network and armed police going at each other. Incarceration skyrockets. police patrols and heavily armed police presence goes up, and thus police shootings and the # of dead policemen go up. Gun deaths, over all, go up.

A black market for illegal weaponry springs up almost overnight, as we have seen with prohibition and the war on drugs. With innocent, unarmed, and defenseless civilians in the crossfire, unable to do anything except pray to god that the people in their house don't actually want to kill them, or that the cops arrive in time.

Sound like a good idea? Not even in the slightest.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Grey Wind Offline
Average Joe

Re: Virgina Tech gunmen - December 9th 2011, 01:46 AM

Funny, 'cause the first thing I thought when I saw this story, was a sarcastic statement of "But guns are banned on campus, how on earth did this happen?!" The guy was a drug dealer - do you think they obtain their firearms legally?

Gun control can work, I'm not going to deny that. I'm too lazy to dig up the sources and statistics from my research paper, but when Canada enforced the same level of gun control as the US in the 60's and 70's their gun crime was parallel to each other. Enforcing stricter control over firearms brought it down exponentially.

Ben is completely right in that 'gun free zones' don't work. Chicago, New York City, DC, all have the strictest gun control you can possible have - you are not allowed to own a gun, no matter what. By theory, these cities would be extremely safe, but the reality is each year they top the list with the highest gun crime in the country.

An increase of federal gun control is a possibility, but there are still other issues. The United States has extreme problems with gun smuggling from Mexico, as well as a huge amount of illegal firearms already floating around the country. That's what differentiates the US from other countries in this, besides firearms being so engrained in their society. Enforcing strict gun control - you would potentially get a drop in gun crime, but at the expense of millions of legal gun owners being able to properly defend themselves, as well as recreational uses gone. Small concentrates, like the cities listed above have proved the strictest gun control actually increases gun crime for whatever reasons. Maybe loose gun control deters criminal behavior. The argument is that, is the trade off worth it? Most people who know their stuff about this seem to think no. It's extremely rare to see an anti-gun advocate who isn't completely ignorant of what they're trying to do, besides the typical "duh, gun go's bang, kills, very scary".

(#19 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Virgina Tech gunmen - December 9th 2011, 02:22 AM

Those scum who feel the need to pull out guns on unarmed people only do it because they are cowards, and wouldn't face unarmed people without a gun otherwise. Once they're aware that others also carry guns... it makes sense that they'd be less trigger happy in fear of immediate consequences.

I'm beginning to lean towards "legalizing" guns, although I don't think in the UK yet. Gun crime isn't high enough around here for me to feel the need to own one to defend myself.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Virgina Tech gunmen - December 9th 2011, 03:02 AM

Damn... Michigan has to play Virginia Tech in the Sugar Bowl.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
_sunsets64. Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Virgina Tech gunmen - December 9th 2011, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Those scum who feel the need to pull out guns on unarmed people only do it because they are cowards, and wouldn't face unarmed people without a gun otherwise.
those scum are real people too. he had a family, you know. he was someone's son. you don't know his story and what disorders he may have had or what he was struggling with or what his life was like or what sort of genetic quirk he may have had that caused his brain to behave so irrationally. I'm not trying to justify killing anyone, because there is no justification for that, but I'm just saying, he's still a person, and dehumanizing him and others like him by calling them "scum" just adds to the cruelty and lack of compassion that is already so present in this terrible situation. As I said before, it's tragic, and the inhumane response by the general public is tragic too.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Halo345 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Virgina Tech gunmen - December 9th 2011, 04:51 AM

Just to clear somethings up... What happened was:
-VA Officer was conducting a traffic stop
-3rd party came up and killed the officer
-3rd partly fled
-VA Trooper found 3rd party
-VA Trooper attempted to arrest, was shot, then Troop nutralized the suspect.

Kinda irnoic this all happened while top VA Tech brass was in DC attempting to dismiss a fine the feds put on them for the crap that happened on 07'.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Re: Virgina Tech gunmen - December 9th 2011, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDF View Post
I'm beginning to lean towards "legalizing" guns, although I don't think in the UK yet. Gun crime isn't high enough around here for me to feel the need to own one to defend myself.
If guns ever become legal in the UK, I'm out of here.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Virgina Tech gunmen - December 9th 2011, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snufkin View Post

If guns ever become legal in the UK, I'm out of here.
They are legal. Just heavily, heavily restricted.

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Virgina Tech gunmen - December 9th 2011, 06:22 AM

What a hipster, trying to take a classic and relive it.

Is what I would say if I were trolling.

Seriously though, maybe doing things like arming guards, and allowing armed students would help prevent this kind of idiocy from repeating itself.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Halo345 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Virgina Tech gunmen - December 9th 2011, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
What a hipster, trying to take a classic and relive it.

Is what I would say if I were trolling.

Seriously though, maybe doing things like arming guards, and allowing armed students would help prevent this kind of idiocy from repeating itself.
VT Police are Armed... but the VT's college board is also.. dare I say... retarded. As are most college boards.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Virgina Tech gunmen - December 9th 2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -A- View Post
Just to clear somethings up... What happened was:
-VA Officer was conducting a traffic stop
-3rd party came up and killed the officer
-3rd partly fled
-VA Trooper found 3rd party
-VA Trooper attempted to arrest, was shot, then Troop nutralized the suspect.
Incorrect.
-Virginia Tech police officer was conducting a routine traffic stop at Coliseum parking lot
-While in his vehicle, 3rd party approached the scene and killed the VT Cop
-3rd party fled and headed toward McComas hall
-Virginia police officer (not campus police) spotted a suspicious person heading near the Cage
-2nd victim found at the Cage parking lot, deceased. Weapon was recovered in the same area as the 2nd victim
-Police identified 2nd victim as the suspect who killed VT officer. They have stated they cannot say definitively, but feel confident that they have located the shooter.

There is believed to be a link between the shooting and a Radford University armed robbery that occurred yesterday, but there is no clear motive.

(#28 (permalink)) Old
tithe_girl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Nicole

Re: Virgina Tech gunmen - December 9th 2011, 08:34 AM

This whole situation is so sad. It’s never acceptable for something like this to happen, but I feel like the last shooting was just yesterday. Thoughts and prayers to the friends and families of the people involved =(

(#29 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Virgina Tech gunmen - December 9th 2011, 05:23 PM

Honestly, if the person were to do a re-make, they should at least give a good effort. 2 deaths compared to 33? The guy is riding the coat-tails of Cho.

But in all seriousness, when I read through the thread, all I thought was, "again... what's going at at VT that makes these shooters or is it just shit luck of the draw?"

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#30 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Virgina Tech gunmen - December 10th 2011, 07:27 PM

New information has been released about the shooter. He has been identified as Ross Truett Ashley of Partlow, VA, and a part-time student at Radford University (about 15 minutes down the road from VT). Ashley has been identified by Radford police as the person responsible for the armed robbery of a 2011 Mercedes SUV on Dec. 7th (the day before the murder-suicide). There has not yet been a connection made between Ashley and the victim, VT Police Officer Deriek Crouse, and the investigation will continue.

http://www2.wsls.com/news/2011/dec/0...ed-ar-1533359/

(#31 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Virgina Tech gunmen - December 11th 2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTank77 View Post

NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

First off, I was actually trying to avoid bringing the gun ownership debate into the thread because, as I said, it's not appropriate. The reason I mentioned it at all was to try and pre-empt it rearing its head and put people off mentioning it - and unfortunately the above has completely nixed that. Next time I say something like "I'm not going to get into the gun ownership debate", bear in mind it may be for the reasons I just mentioned. Second, by "gun ownership debate" I was referring to the situation as a whole, not the legislative response to it, as there are wider issues of ease of supply outside of the legislative framework. Third, if we are really going to go over the gun ownership debate I can quite easily raise the example of my own country (the UK) which has some of the strictest gun ownership laws currently in force and also one of the lowest gun-related death rates. However, this has already been sidetracked enough so I propose to go no further - other than to agree with you that there are many elements about gun control laws at present which need significant overhaul.

Anyway, hopefully more will come to light about this as the investigation continues.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#32 (permalink)) Old
Halo345 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Virgina Tech gunmen - December 11th 2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gregory House View Post
Incorrect.
What you said..
Ah crap.. >_< yeah I was wrong.. Apperently they were two differnt shootings I was hearing about.

(#33 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Virgina Tech gunmen - December 11th 2011, 10:39 PM

Revolutionist without a cause. What a terrible act of domestic terrorism.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#34 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Virgina Tech gunmen - December 13th 2011, 02:49 AM

A (hopefully) final update from the news.... Officer Deriek Crouse's funeral was held at Virginia Tech today (My sister got to work the setting up, running, and breaking down of the funeral... How cool is that?!) with hundreds of people from the VT community in attendance as well as many of Crouse's most special family, friends, and colleagues.

We remember Officer Crouse as a devoted husband, father, and brother, as well as a hero, killed in the line of duty. Here's the video for the event. I'm so glad that Officer Crouse had an amazing turnout, and that true respect and love was shown to his family. I'm so proud of the Hokie Nation and the amount of compassion that has been shown since the awful events of December 8th. Good job, Hokies. <3

(#35 (permalink)) Old
Veni Vidi Vici Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Virgina Tech gunmen - December 13th 2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man And XX Master View Post
Honestly, if the person were to do a re-make, they should at least give a good effort. 2 deaths compared to 33? The guy is riding the coat-tails of Cho.

But in all seriousness, when I read through the thread, all I thought was, "again... what's going at at VT that makes these shooters or is it just shit luck of the draw?"
Yeah, that's what I was wondering... Although this shooting wasn't a 'massacre' like the one involving Cho, I was still rather surprised that it was once again Virginia Tech. I mean, what's happening over there?

Carpe Diem: Seize the Day/Moment. -Horace

Veni, Vidi, Vici: I came, I saw, I conquered -Julius Caesar

(#36 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Virgina Tech gunmen - December 13th 2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
Yeah, that's what I was wondering... Although this shooting wasn't a 'massacre' like the one involving Cho, I was still rather surprised that it was once again Virginia Tech. I mean, what's happening over there?
Actually, the shooter was a part-time student at Radford University who had committed an armed robbery of a Mercedes SUV the day before. The SUV was found abandoned near Tech's campus, where the proper authorities were notified. There is -some- kind of link between these two events, but the motives aren't clear and I'm not sure they ever will be.

As a person who has grown up with VT right at her back door and have several friends and family attending the institution, I would say the only "problem" is that some students can't handle the academic pressure, but that is true on any college campus. One could argue that there is a lack of personal relationships between professors and students, but that is also true at any big university.
I don't think I could pinpoint anything that's going on at the school to actively cause events like this to occur. From what I have seen, VT, even for the population, is a very close knit school. Seeing all of the students come together after the massacre and even after the shooting last week, it's quite motivational.

(#37 (permalink)) Old
_sunsets64. Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Virgina Tech gunmen - December 13th 2011, 07:05 PM

the recent event wasn't a school shooting, people just got scared because it was near/on the campus of VT, and the history of VT and people with guns. If this had happened near any other university, it wouldn't be tied in with school shootings--it would simply be a guy who committed an armed robbery, murdered a police officer, and shot himself, and wouldn't have as much media coverage. I don't think there's anything going on with VT specifically, I think it's just the associations going on in our minds and with the media.

Closed Thread