TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ThornedRose Offline
You're scrumdiddlyumptious!
Average Joe

Name: Sydney

Casey Anthony Trial - December 10th 2011, 06:21 PM

I know the verdict was announced a few months ago but I can't help but think that little girl's killer got away. What do y'all think?

news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/05/jury-reaches-verdict-in-casey-anthony-trial/

Enjoy the little things in life, for someday you will realize they were the big things.
  Send a message via Yahoo to ThornedRose  
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 772595 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: Casey Anthony Trial - December 10th 2011, 06:51 PM

Doesn't matter what anyone thinks.

The prosecutor presented the evidence. The jury was not convinced beyond a reasonable doubt.

Therefor, innocent.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I donít seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Squidgy Offline
Average Joe

Re: Casey Anthony Trial - December 10th 2011, 07:15 PM

I don't agree that she was innocent but I find everyone hate Jose Baez, Which does not make sense to me. He was doing his job, It's the prosecutors who didn't do their job to the fullest.
  Send a message via MSN to Squidgy Send a message via Skype™ to Squidgy 
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
ThornedRose Offline
Average Joe

Re: Casey Anthony Trial - December 10th 2011, 07:21 PM

Tiger_tank I was simply asking others opinions on whether they thought she was guilty or innocent. Its obvious that I was in no way trying to start an argument. Let me reword that, in your opinion do you think the trial's outcome was a justifiable one?

Enjoy the little things in life, for someday you will realize they were the big things.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Casey Anthony Trial - December 11th 2011, 03:33 AM

I truly believe with my whole heart that Casey Anthony killed her child. However I think that the prosecution screwed up and turned what should have been a manslaughter case into a murder case and that's what helped the defense get the verdict they wanted. I do hope that some horrible accident befalls Casey rendering her incapable to have any more children though.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Incompris Offline
Isaiah 40:30-31
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Chandler

Re: Casey Anthony Trial - December 11th 2011, 03:38 AM

In my opinion it didn't make sense. What person in their right mind would go out and party right after their child went missing. Then again..... I do know parents who would party if their kid went missing, so maybe she was like them.

She was found not guilty, so therefore she's not guilty. It's the whole innocent until proven guilty thing.

We were made to be courageous.

Everybody falls sometimes
Gotta find the strength to rise
From the ashes and make a new beginning
Anyone can feel the ache
You think itís more than you can take
But you're stronger, stronger than you know
Donít you give up now
The sun will soon be shining
You gotta face the clouds
To find the silver lining

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: Casey Anthony Trial - December 11th 2011, 06:46 AM

I also believe that Casey Anthony killed her child. Though I'd love to see justice for that sweet little girl, even if Casey admitted to it now, she wouldn't be able to be retried. I hate that fact, but it's the truth. I hope they catch her doing something else, that way she could at least get away from society.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
ThornedRose Offline
Average Joe

Re: Casey Anthony Trial - December 11th 2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelophobia View Post
Though I'd love to see justice for that sweet little girl, even if Casey admitted to it now, she wouldn't be able to be retried. I hate that fact, but it's the truth.
my thoughts exactly, maybe sometime in the future she will do something dumb and get some sort of punishment......

(#9 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Casey Anthony Trial - December 11th 2011, 03:36 PM

I'm just waiting to see how long it will be until we see a "sequel" to OJ's book. "If I Killed Her: The Caylee Anthony story"

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#10 (permalink)) Old
ThornedRose Offline
Average Joe

Re: Casey Anthony Trial - December 11th 2011, 05:15 PM

I know they are already planning a movie and I'm pretty sure a book so basically shr got rewarded for the crime she did. It isn't right.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Casey Anthony Trial - December 11th 2011, 06:19 PM

Just because she was found to be "not guilty" does NOT mean that she was found to be "innocent". I hate how people confuse those two terms.
Anyhow... I hate that she was found not guilty because I do believe that Casey Anthony did indeed kill her daughter. Unfortunately, the prosecution didn't present a strong enough case and the jury couldn't decide beyond a reasonable doubt that she did it.The evidence was pretty circumstantial - every law show on TV (I'm currently watching Law & Order: SVU, haha) will tell you that you can't build a case on circumstantial evidence.

Regardless of the fact that I do think she did it, I thank God that we have a jury who does follow the law rather than passion. I wouldn't doubt that all of the jurors believe that Casey Anthony killed her daughter, but the evidence didn't prove it. That says to me that our justice system isn't completely lost.

ďDon't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#12 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: Casey Anthony Trial - December 11th 2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gregory House View Post
Just because she was found to be "not guilty" does NOT mean that she was found to be "innocent".
Doesn't mean she's also NOT innocent.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I donít seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Halo345 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Casey Anthony Trial - December 11th 2011, 09:52 PM

It's not called "innocent". That's a misnomer created by the media, the verdict was "Not Guilty". She clearly knows something about haylees death, but to what existent, we may never know.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Casey Anthony Trial - December 11th 2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTank77 View Post
Doesn't matter what anyone thinks.

The prosecutor presented the evidence. The jury was not convinced beyond a reasonable doubt.

Therefor, innocent.
It means she was deemed innocent, not, as you imply, that she did not do it.

Also, she was not declared innocent. She was declared "Not Guilty", completely different things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornedRose View Post
I know they are already planning a movie and I'm pretty sure a book so basically shr got rewarded for the crime she did. It isn't right.

Could you please change your font? It genuinely hurts my eyes!

(#15 (permalink)) Old
ThornedRose Offline
Average Joe

Re: Casey Anthony Trial - December 11th 2011, 11:56 PM

yes I will change it to accommodate your eyes!!!! I'm just kidding......a lot of people have said something about it so I changed. Tell your eyes I said sorry

(#16 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Casey Anthony Trial - December 12th 2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:

yes I will change it to accommodate your eyes!!!! I'm just kidding......a lot of people have said something about it so I changed. Tell your eyes I said sorry
Heh, thanks!

(゜∇゜)ノ

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
Our life is what we make it
I've been here a while

Name: Nick (Or Nico)

Re: Casey Anthony Trial - December 12th 2011, 02:43 AM

I think you should edit the wording in your OP. There is no proof Casey Anthony killed her child, therefore she is not the "killer that got away".

There was no evidence to prove beyond a shadow of a reasonable doubt that she killed Caylee. Therefore, she was deemed Not Guilty by a jury of her peers. I'm not going to say she did it or she didn't, because she could very well not have killed her. So I will not be brash and jump to conclusions.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!

(#18 (permalink)) Old
ThornedRose Offline
Average Joe

Re: Casey Anthony Trial - December 12th 2011, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sythan View Post
I think you should edit the wording in your OP. There is no proof Casey Anthony killed her child, therefore she is not the "killer that got away".

There was no evidence to prove beyond a shadow of a reasonable doubt that she killed Caylee. Therefore, she was deemed Not Guilty by a jury of her peers. I'm not going to say she did it or she didn't, because she could very well not have killed her. So I will not be brash and jump to conclusions.

Well whether she was the killer or not we know someone killed Caylee and, she didnt just end up in those woods by herself and whoever it was is not behind bars. So yes, a killer did get away and rewording it would be redundant no?

Last edited by ThornedRose; December 12th 2011 at 04:51 AM.
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: Casey Anthony Trial - December 12th 2011, 05:58 AM

Quote:

Well whether she was the killer or not we know someone killed Caylee and, she didnt just end up in those woods by herself and whoever it was is not behind bars. So yes, a killer did get away and rewording it would be redundant no?
It's really sad that they didn't convict this woman. She killed her daughter, and because she had a good lawyer, she was able to get away with doing so.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
ThornedRose Offline
Average Joe

Re: Casey Anthony Trial - December 12th 2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
It's really sad that they didn't convict this woman. She killed her daughter, and because she had a good lawyer, she was able to get away with doing so.
Yes, I agree. I love your signature picture, Reid and Criminal Minds is awesome!!

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: Casey Anthony Trial - December 12th 2011, 07:05 PM

I'm going to be brutally honest here by saying that some of you don't know how the justice system works. Even watching Law & Order can give you a general idea on the justice system. You are innocent until proven guilty. Just because someone may be innocent does not mean that they have not been proven innocent, but they have not just been proven guilty. It is not our decision to decide like it is with American Idol. We can't just say "herp derp...I'm 18 years old and I know she's guilty based on what I've read." During the Casey Anthony trial, there were highly qualified people who make a living out of determining what is or isn't credible evidence; a teenager still in school is not highly qualified because you're strictly reading information (often biased) and forming your own opinion.

Casey Anthony will not get a re-trial unless there is more evidence to suggest that Casey Anthony is not guilty. Until that time, Casey Anthony has to endure hiding from the public because people believe that she was guilty when she was not proven to be guilty. A person is a person, and no one should have to live like that when there was no clear proof. We may think the justice system is corrupt now, but just imagine if you were convicted of something and you were put in the spotlight even if you were guilty or not guilty. Imagine going to prison when they only had enough evidence to say "well, this happened so it MUST make her guilty." No assumptions can be made unless there is absolute proof. Unfortunately, the justice system is flawed but I'd rather be innocent until proven guilty than being guilty until proven innocent. Old news is old news...we need to worry about other things now like...I don't know...global warming for starters.

Last edited by Brandon; December 12th 2011 at 07:18 PM.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Casey Anthony Trial - December 12th 2011, 08:24 PM

Brandon has already pointed this out (and very well too, I might add), but I will say it again - you are innocent until proven guilty, and the suggestion as have been made above of there being a distinction between "innocent" and "not guilty" is not only misleading, but in the vast majority of legal systems it's just plain wrong. To take the etymological angle for starters, the Latin word for guilty is nocens, with the Latin word for not guilty being (surprise surprise) innocens (in as prefix = "against" or "not"). So however you look at it, innocent means not guilty. To take the jurisprudential angle, what many of you appear to be referring to in making the distinction is more in keeping with the alternative verdict under Scots law of "not proven" - that is to say, there is insufficient evidence to meet the burden of proof for conviction, but sufficient evidence for reasonable belief that the accused committed the act (at least under the modern understanding of the verdict - it's complicated...). That is a verdict which is only available under Scots law and simply does not exist in other jurisdictions. As such, to claim such a distinction in these instances is based on emotive rather than legal grounds. Finally, to take the evidential angle, I can see nothing which has been made known since the trial which casts doubt on the original proceedings or the verdict obtained therein, which probably says more about the prosecution case being based on character claims rather than physical evidence.

For these reasons, I do not see why the original verdict should be called into question and will retain that opinion until evidence arises to the contrary. I can understand people being upset, particularly as we are talking about the death of a young child, but emotional response alone is no grounds for action and certainly not action which could potentially deprive another person of their liberty or life. That is why we have a criminal justice system with trial by jury in the first place.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#23 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Casey Anthony Trial - December 12th 2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
I'm going to be brutally honest here by saying that some of you don't know how the justice system works. Even watching Law & Order can give you a general idea on the justice system. You are innocent until proven guilty. Just because someone may be innocent does not mean that they have not been proven innocent, but they have not just been proven guilty. It is not our decision to decide like it is with American Idol. We can't just say "herp derp...I'm 18 years old and I know she's guilty based on what I've read." During the Casey Anthony trial, there were highly qualified people who make a living out of determining what is or isn't credible evidence; a teenager still in school is not highly qualified because you're strictly reading information (often biased) and forming your own opinion.

Casey Anthony will not get a re-trial unless there is more evidence to suggest that Casey Anthony is not guilty. Until that time, Casey Anthony has to endure hiding from the public because people believe that she was guilty when she was not proven to be guilty. A person is a person, and no one should have to live like that when there was no clear proof. We may think the justice system is corrupt now, but just imagine if you were convicted of something and you were put in the spotlight even if you were guilty or not guilty. Imagine going to prison when they only had enough evidence to say "well, this happened so it MUST make her guilty." No assumptions can be made unless there is absolute proof. Unfortunately, the justice system is flawed but I'd rather be innocent until proven guilty than being guilty until proven innocent. Old news is old news...we need to worry about other things now like...I don't know...global warming for starters.

Beautifully written, Brandon. Even the "herp derp." Haha. :P Casey Anthony will -not- undergo re-trial, and if she does, it would have to be on a different charge (such as manslaughter rather than homicide), because it would otherwise infringe on the laws of double jeopardy.
I -am- glad that the jurors were smart enough to pay attention to the evidence presented before them rather than the bias in the news. That makes me think that we DO have hope for our supposedly corrupt justice system. We don't judge based on passion, but on the evidence before us.

For instance, you wouldn't break up with your boyfriend just because someone told you he cheated on you. You would try and find proof first. When I think of shows like Law & Order, I often find myself saying, "Lock that b****** up, dammit!" because I'm responding to the passion the show creates rather than looking at the evidence that's presented to us in the show. As a juror, you -can't- do that. You're presented with the facts.

I honestly think that Casey Anthony's life is now a living hell. She was probably better off being locked up in a prison cell even if she didn't do it, because you know she's facing a lot of cruelty. As Brandon said, she has to basically stay in hiding to avoid persecution by people who only got the biased side of the story. I don't like the girl and I think her parenting sucks (what good parent would go out every night during an investigation of your missing child?), but bad parenting isn't illegal, and that's the only thing, based on the evidence I saw from the trial, that she's guilty of.

ďDon't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#24 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Re: Casey Anthony Trial - December 12th 2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gregory House View Post
I -am- glad that the jurors were smart enough to pay attention to the evidence presented before them rather than the bias in the news.
Pretty sure they weren't allowed to watch the news and such...

(#25 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Casey Anthony Trial - December 12th 2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa View Post

Pretty sure they weren't allowed to watch the news and such...
No, not during the trial, but the story had been running a long while before that.

Closed Thread