TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Canada to withdraw from Kyoto Protocol on global warming - December 12th 2011, 09:43 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16151310

Frankly, I'm pretty disappointed at the Canadian government over this - times are tough, but the cost of global warming is only going to get higher and I feel this is a very short-sighted decision. I usually admire Canada but on this occasion it's taken a bit of a beating.

Thoughts?

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#2 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Canada to withdraw from Kyoto Protocol on global warming - December 12th 2011, 09:55 PM

Most of the news I hear is about the deficit and how we have to either do this, or cut down on support for the elderly or disabled, so I support keeping our people safe instead of the environment for a couple of years.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Veni Vidi Vici Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Canada to withdraw from Kyoto Protocol on global warming - December 13th 2011, 08:21 AM

I know Canada's been talking about 'supporting this' but if they had really wanted to go through with this, they would have planned accordingly so this wouldn't have to happen... It's embarrassing because Canada's been framing themselves with the 'environmental' and 'nature - friendly' tag for years yet they're not able to do their part to help the global warming cause (something which could eventually destroy the world...). It's times like these in which I'm ashamed to be Canadian.

Carpe Diem: Seize the Day/Moment. -Horace

Veni, Vidi, Vici: I came, I saw, I conquered -Julius Caesar

(#4 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Re: Canada to withdraw from Kyoto Protocol on global warming - December 13th 2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKmadu619 View Post
Most of the news I hear is about the deficit and how we have to either do this, or cut down on support for the elderly or disabled, so I support keeping our people safe instead of the environment for a couple of years.

- Justin
Perfectly understandable, but bear in mind that the social cost of global warming is itself estimated in the billions so this does rather smack of robbing Peter to pay Paul - particularly given that Canada's forests will be among the first to bite the bullet should average global temperatures rise as expected. When even China is criticising you on environmental issues, you know something's gone wrong.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#5 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Canada to withdraw from Kyoto Protocol on global warming - December 13th 2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005 View Post
Perfectly understandable, but bear in mind that the social cost of global warming is itself estimated in the billions so this does rather smack of robbing Peter to pay Paul - particularly given that Canada's forests will be among the first to bite the bullet should average global temperatures rise as expected. When even China is criticising you on environmental issues, you know something's gone wrong.
And yet China has huge problems between the rich and the poor, and low quality of life for the poor Chinese. Again, the environment is important, but it will not come to pot in MY lifetime, and I personally would rather have happy people, instead of further screwing the disabled and elderly.

- Justin

Technologic

(#6 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Re: Canada to withdraw from Kyoto Protocol on global warming - December 13th 2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
And yet China has huge problems between the rich and the poor, and low quality of life for the poor Chinese. Again, the environment is important, but it will not come to pot in MY lifetime, and I personally would rather have happy people, instead of further screwing the disabled and elderly.

- Justin
My reference to China was more to point out that it has a pretty diabolical record on environmental issues, yet still felt in a position to criticise Canada's decision. I do not dispute that there is rampant inequality and poverty in China (although arguably the same applies in the West to greater or lesser degrees - we just don't like to admit it), but that does not negate my point. Likewise, you seem to be overlooking that (a) global warming is already happening and has done for the last 50 years and (b) rising average global temperatures will themselves "screw the disabled and elderly". Pitching the environment and welfare against each other is a political choice, not a genuine conflict.

Quote:
RIP Nick

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
same same, but different.
Outside, huh?

Name: Lou

Re: Canada to withdraw from Kyoto Protocol on global warming - December 13th 2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:

- Justin
Actually it might just go to pot in your lifetime. We have projections of changes, but they are estimates only [with good confidence of course] but that doesn't mean to say it couldn't happen sooner.
I'm disappointed myself, the environment is the one thing we literally cannot live without, yet people just don't care that much. Or is it because no one really understands?
I really hope I'm alive the day the world runs out of oil so I can watch people trying to survive without it. From being independent animals surviving in the wild we have become dependent on so much that we do not need. I'm not saying we should all go back to being wild [though wouldn't that be fun] but rather try and respect the only planet we have.
I don't think the Kyoto Protocol is going to fix everything, but it's a start that everyone should be involved in if we want to keep the planet functioning as it should.

"Life is pain, anybody that says different is selling something" ~ Fezzik's Mother, The Princess Bride. ♥

"To die, would be an awfully big adventure."~ Peter Pan

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3

(#8 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Canada to withdraw from Kyoto Protocol on global warming - December 15th 2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:

- Justin
And you don't think that perhaps the news you are hearing is bias since the Canadian government would obviously want to paint itself in the best possible light? I think it's ridiculous to act like Canada only has two choices: withdraw from Kyoto OR withdraw support for disabled/elderly. I have a very hard time believing that there is absolutely nothing that they could do to apart from those two options. It sounds more like they have not been trying hard enough to reduce their emissions and now they don't want to face the conesquences of that.

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Canada to withdraw from Kyoto Protocol on global warming - December 16th 2011, 12:31 AM

ShimmeringFairie: Now, but I've witnessed the problem first-hand. They WILL close schools should they not meet the deficit. They've already cut school spending to pathetic numbers, they WILL cut disability funds, they already have in the past.

Even if they aren't as strapped for money as they claim to be, they'll cut other things for the environment as they have in the past.

- Justin

Technologic

Closed Thread