TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Rko Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Verizon says 'civil emergency' alert in N.J. was only a test; company apologizes for 'inconvenience' - December 12th 2011, 10:55 PM

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...ergency_a.html

A mass text message warning New Jersey cell phone users of a "civil emergency" was sent out by Verizon Wireless earlier today as part of a "test emergency notification," the telecommunications company said.
In a response statement issued about two hours after the mass text was sent out, alarming some Garden State residents, Verizon Wireless apologized to its customers.

"This test message was not clearly identified as a test," company spokesman David Samberg said in an e-mailed statement to The Star-Ledger. "We apologize for any inconvenience or concern this message may have caused."

The emergency alert was sent out to New Jersey phone users in Monmouth, Ocean and Middlesex counties earlier this afternoon, citing a "civil emergency in this area until 1:24 p.m." and telling residents to "take shelter now."

Local police departments and county authorities said they received a high volume of 911 calls from residents concerned about the alerts and asking whether there was an actual emergency.
In response to the text alert, police in Rumson issued its own alert to citizens in the Monmouth County community: "THERE IS NO EMERGENCY. The 'take shelter' message that Verizon sent IS NOT a VALID message. DO NOT CALL THE POLICE."
"There is no reason to panic here," said Monmouth County Sheriff Shaun Golden. "It is a false text done maliciously today at 12:27 p.m."

The text warning also prompted the New Jersey Office of Homeland Security to issue a special statement on Twitter this afternoon reassuring citizens there was no actual emergency.

Should have been carefully planned about prior to them sending these text.

Send a message via AIM to Rko  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: Verizon says 'civil emergency' alert in N.J. was only a test; company apologizes for 'inconvenience' - December 12th 2011, 11:29 PM

This seems like the "surprise demolition" from V For Vendetta.

One million miles away...

(#3 (permalink)) Old
kadyCHAOS Offline
sleep when your dead
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: kady

Re: Verizon says 'civil emergency' alert in N.J. was only a test; company apologizes for 'inconvenience' - December 15th 2011, 12:24 AM

that's really fucked up they didn't warn people it was a test.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Flying_Spirit Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Verizon says 'civil emergency' alert in N.J. was only a test; company apologizes for 'inconvenience' - December 15th 2011, 04:35 AM

Lol good for Verizon, lets all be honest, if you could do this you would :P

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Verizon says 'civil emergency' alert in N.J. was only a test; company apologizes for 'inconvenience' - December 15th 2011, 03:08 PM

^ Uh, not really...

"Civil emergency" seems like an oxymoronic phrase to me, juss sayin' (maintain civility, stay calm, you're just going to die, it'll be alright...)

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: Verizon says 'civil emergency' alert in N.J. was only a test; company apologizes for 'inconvenience' - December 15th 2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetbox View Post
Lol good for Verizon, lets all be honest, if you could do this you would :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost On The Highway View Post
^ Uh, not really...

I know i would have

~Cody

Normal User

(#7 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Verizon says 'civil emergency' alert in N.J. was only a test; company apologizes for 'inconvenience' - December 15th 2011, 09:03 PM

Can't say I'm too encouraged by the fact it took them two hours to proofread their own alert message...

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .

Closed Thread