TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
Gingerbread Latte's Avatar
 
Name: Cara
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: Scotland

Posts: 6,716
Blog Entries: 136
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Why is porn legal but prostitution not? - December 20th 2011, 06:10 PM

I realise that in some areas prostitution is legal and porn illegal but I'm generally talking about places such as the UK and the majority of the US.

I'm curious as to why it's okay for pornstars to make money out of having sex but prostitution is illegal. They're both similar in the fact that they both involve money being handed over in order for sexual acts to occur.


   
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
BDF's Avatar
 
Name: BDF
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: Europe

Posts: 2,523
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 28th 2009

Re: Why is porn legal but prostitution not? - December 20th 2011, 06:19 PM

My best practical guess is that it's to limit the spread of venereal diseases like (AIDS, herpes etc... ). Also I suppose to oppress the tradition with prostitutes where they frequently work for a "pimp" who abuses them, or some sort of gang.

Both those reasons are good reasons... but making prostitution illegal is hardly serving any purpose to those reasons in the first place. People that want to do it, will do it regardless of the law most times. It's that thing about sex... a lot of people just can't help themselves in cases like this.


"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.


   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Flying_Spirit Offline
Member
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Flying_Spirit's Avatar
 
Gender: Other

Posts: 354
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: December 7th 2010

Re: Why is porn legal but prostitution not? - December 20th 2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenya View Post
I'm curious as to why it's okay for pornstars to make money out of having sex but prostitution is illegal. They're both similar in the fact that they both involve money being handed over in order for sexual acts to occur.
There are restrictions on what can be in porn where there isn't in prostitution. Also porn stars tend to not spread STD's like wildfire the way prostitution can. There are many differences between porn and prostitution. Those are just two. Laws govern pornography, eg. "In 2008, the Crown Prosecution Service prosecuted a man under the Obscene Publications Act for a textual story on a pornography website involving Girls Aloud. Also that year, the Home Office introduced legislation to criminalize possession of what it has labelled extreme pornography; these laws are now contained in sections 63 to 68 of the Criminal Justice and Immigration Act 2008."
   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Marguerite's Avatar
 
Name: Marguerite
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: Australia

Posts: 1,064
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: June 1st 2010

Re: Why is porn legal but prostitution not? - December 20th 2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenya View Post
I realise that in some areas prostitution is legal and porn illegal but I'm generally talking about places such as the UK and the majority of the US.

I'm curious as to why it's okay for pornstars to make money out of having sex but prostitution is illegal. They're both similar in the fact that they both involve money being handed over in order for sexual acts to occur.
It's not really that clear cut, all over places like America, the UK and Australia, prositution law varies from region to region. Saying it is illegal in the majority of these areas is kind of complicated because a lot of places it is illegal to solicit but not illegal to, you know, offer your services. A lot of places neither is illegal.

As for the difference, I'm all for both being legal but to play devil's advocate for a second, porn is generally safer. Porn is filmed between two actors in a controlled enviroment. The biggest risk one can get from watching porn is basically carpel tunnel syndrome. However, if you get picked up off a street corner/pick someone up off a street corner any number of things could go terribly, terribly wrong, including (but not limitied to) the death of either the client or the prostitute.

It's also an image issue. Pornography is something that in usually encountered (I hope) privately, indoors. A lot of governments don't want the stigma that comes with allowing prositution, and want to keep a family friendly moralistic image.


To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy
   
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough
*********
 
dr2005's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Location: UK

Posts: 2,221
Join Date: February 14th 2010

Re: Why is porn legal but prostitution not? - December 20th 2011, 06:34 PM

As a point of interest, it's worth noting that in the UK prostitution itself is not illegal - you can legitimately carry out business as a sex worker without prosecution. What IS illegal is soliciting (i.e. streetwalking) and pimping, as well as (I believe) running a brothel. Bit of a peculiar situation when you think about it, but there we go.

Onto the OP question now...I have to say it's a good one, and not one I can readily come up with an answer to. Best I can think of is that for whatever reason it's viewed as less harmful to society or the people involved - make of that what you will, but by and large that's all I can come up with for now.


"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while
********
 
TheBabyEater's Avatar
 
Name: Marissa
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: Iraw

Posts: 1,705
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Why is porn legal but prostitution not? - December 20th 2011, 06:39 PM

Along with above, the receivers of porn do not actually have sex, most simply watch or masturbate. Porn is much, much easier to regulate than prostitution. There are already restrictions on porn, you can't really expect to hold up restrictions on prostitution. Prostitution promotes pimps, which promote crime and mistreatment of the prostitutes. Porn only promotes safer alternatives to unhealthy sex.

Ext. Ext.



Take me seriously.
I dare you.



  Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Name: Brandon
Age: 29
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,540
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Why is porn legal but prostitution not? - December 20th 2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenya View Post
I realise that in some areas prostitution is legal and porn illegal but I'm generally talking about places such as the UK and the majority of the US.

I'm curious as to why it's okay for pornstars to make money out of having sex but prostitution is illegal. They're both similar in the fact that they both involve money being handed over in order for sexual acts to occur.
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...n_illegal.html
   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough
*********
 
Sincerely Yours ♥'s Avatar
 

Posts: 3,042
Blog Entries: 26
Join Date: July 4th 2010

Re: Why is porn legal but prostitution not? - December 21st 2011, 03:54 AM

-Most porn can be found for free online. Prostitution cannot.
-Porn is for intended for masturbation. Prositution is intended for more than one person.
-Porn doesn't spread STDs. Prostitution does.
-Porn is pretty much fake. Prostitution is not.
-Porn doesn't encourage drug use. Prostitutes are usually on drugs.

So much more I could list.
   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
Some Random Dude's Avatar
 
Name: Richard
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Location: Washington

Posts: 81
Join Date: October 4th 2011

Re: Why is porn legal but prostitution not? - December 21st 2011, 01:30 PM

Porn is legal and prostitution is not because the government can't put a tax on most prostitution, but can put one on porn. If the government dosn't get a cut of the money from a buisness venture or service then it is illegal.Thats also why moonshining is illegal.
   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Squidgy Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
Squidgy's Avatar
 
Age: 21
Gender: Female

Posts: 182
Join Date: October 6th 2011

Re: Why is porn legal but prostitution not? - December 21st 2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Random Dude View Post
Porn is legal and prostitution is not because the government can't put a tax on most prostitution, but can put one on porn. If the government dosn't get a cut of the money from a buisness venture or service then it is illegal.Thats also why moonshining is illegal.
Same reason weed is illegal. The government doesn't have control over it yet, therefore they can't tax it. Most things today are about money.
  Send a message via MSN to Squidgy Send a message via Skype™ to Squidgy 
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Grey Wind Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
Grey Wind's Avatar
 
Gender: Male
Location: Canada

Posts: 188
Join Date: July 18th 2011

Re: Why is porn legal but prostitution not? - December 21st 2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Random Dude View Post
Porn is legal and prostitution is not because the government can't put a tax on most prostitution, but can put one on porn. If the government dosn't get a cut of the money from a buisness venture or service then it is illegal.Thats also why moonshining is illegal.
Except there is no huge tax on porn. And it isn't even legal in most places. There's a reason why 90% of porn in the world is produced in the San Fernando valley, and that's because its one of the few areas where paying someone to have sex on film doesn't classify as prostitution. And if the government can regulate tobacco and alchohol, then they can regulate prostitution and weed. They're just too socially taboo.
   
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while
********
 
Guile's Avatar
 
Name: Guile
Gender: Male
Location: United States

Posts: 1,616
Join Date: January 24th 2010

Re: Why is porn legal but prostitution not? - December 22nd 2011, 05:12 AM

Just pointing out this point here.

Both a pornstar and a prostitute are paid to preform sex, at the very core of it.


Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)
   
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while
********
 
TheBabyEater's Avatar
 
Name: Marissa
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: Iraw

Posts: 1,705
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Why is porn legal but prostitution not? - December 22nd 2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
Just pointing out this point here.

Both a pornstar and a prostitute are paid to preform sex, at the very core of it.
Things are still quite a bit different between the two. If you want to look at it like that, we can also put beastiality and necrophilia as normal and legal, because that's just sex, right?



Take me seriously.
I dare you.



  Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Flying_Spirit Offline
Member
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Flying_Spirit's Avatar
 
Gender: Other

Posts: 354
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: December 7th 2010

Re: Why is porn legal but prostitution not? - December 22nd 2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
Just pointing out this point here.

Both a pornstar and a prostitute are paid to preform sex, at the very core of it.
This reminds me of the death penalty for some murders in america. They are both killing people, one is implemented as justice the other is a crime. You can justify almost anything in any way you want with that argument.
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Name: Brandon
Age: 29
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,540
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Why is porn legal but prostitution not? - December 22nd 2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenya View Post
I'm curious as to why it's okay for pornstars to make money out of having sex but prostitution is illegal. They're both similar in the fact that they both involve money being handed over in order for sexual acts to occur.
The keyword is regulation. Prostitution can be better regulated, but the question is how far is the government willing to go? After all, making prostitution illegal will potentially lead to less illegal prostitution...and the less crime that police officers have to deal with, the more citizens complain about police officers "not doing what they're supposed to be doing." Regulation is a continuous responsibility, and not a lot of people are open to the idea of financially supporting that idea of having regulated prostitution because people, through personal experience, believe that engaging in sexual acts with a prostitute is considered more "cheating" than masturbating to people engaging in sexual acts on pictures and videos. A lot of women believe that prostitution is a degradation of women, which I think otherwise. I believe that prostitution is what abortion could've been if it was never legalized. Unless the majority of people and people high up in political power not only agree with the act of prostitution, but want to support it, then not much will probably be done. It's all a matter of how far we are willing to go to support it.
   
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict
************
 
Coffee.'s Avatar
 
Name: Traci
Age: 26
Gender: she/her/hers
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 8,147
Blog Entries: 639
Join Date: October 29th 2009

Re: Why is porn legal but prostitution not? - December 29th 2011, 02:59 AM

It's really hard to regulate prostitution, and sadly for most of us wanting to live in a dreamworld, but most of prostitution is forced, and the people are usually "owned" by somebody, either a pimp or a company, and are making very little money, just enough to keep a roof over her head and drugs in her veins. It's a very sad industry. Yes, of course, there are people out there who have made their living off of prostitution, and were happy, it happens. But most of its not like that. Porn is much easier to regulate, and not as much of it is against somebody's will, and all of that porn is illegal as prostitution is.


I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
Our life is what we make it
I've been here a while
********
 
Sythan's Avatar
 
Name: Nick (Or Nico)
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Location: East Bay Area, California

Posts: 1,122
Join Date: December 25th 2010

Re: Why is porn legal but prostitution not? - December 30th 2011, 06:40 AM

Porn is easily regulated by the government. Prostitution, however, not as easy. Although The Netherlands, especially Amsterdam, have been doing a pretty good job since it was legalized in 2000.


When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!
   
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough
*********
 
dr2005's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Location: UK

Posts: 2,221
Join Date: February 14th 2010

Re: Why is porn legal but prostitution not? - December 30th 2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
The keyword is regulation. Prostitution can be better regulated, but the question is how far is the government willing to go? After all, making prostitution illegal will potentially lead to less illegal prostitution...and the less crime that police officers have to deal with, the more citizens complain about police officers "not doing what they're supposed to be doing."
I don't think I've ever heard anyone complaining about a lack of crime for police officers to deal with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sythan View Post
Porn is easily regulated by the government. Prostitution, however, not as easy. Although The Netherlands, especially Amsterdam, have been doing a pretty good job since it was legalized in 2000.
Interesting that you say that, given that the Netherlands has in recent years launched a crackdown on the red light district in Amsterdam (among others) in light of an increase in gang activity and human trafficking. Legalisation is not a magic wand - if anything, it just makes it easier for such people to operate. Insofar as porn being easy to regulate goes, I suppose that is true for material produced in that particular country but I'd question if it is for material sourced elsewhere.


"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
   
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Name: Brandon
Age: 29
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,540
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Why is porn legal but prostitution not? - December 30th 2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005 View Post
I don't think I've ever heard anyone complaining about a lack of crime for police officers to deal with...
I hear it all the time. From my experience, a lot of people believe that they don't do anything...they just sit on the side of the road with jelly donuts in the passenger seats and watch cars drive by. Of course, those are the people who are probably pulled over on a regular basis for speeding.
   
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: Why is porn legal but prostitution not? - December 31st 2011, 08:48 AM

In Canada, prostitution itself is legal, however, the act of soliciting, arranging payment for sex and pimping are all illegal. It's a bit weird because you could have sex and receive a monetary gift that is intentionally unrelated to sex and prostitution, and it would be legal. At the core of it, porn stars and prostitution involve sex for money, however, porn stars have no soliciting nor pimps, so by definition, they are not prostitutes.


I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
   
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Catr Offline
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
Catr's Avatar
 
Name: Lilje
Gender: Female
Location: Tromsø, Norway

Posts: 5
Join Date: January 1st 2012

Re: Why is porn legal but prostitution not? - January 2nd 2012, 02:02 AM

Prostitution often means trafficking, and often also involves minors(who technically cannot consent until. 17, at least in Norway) or unconsenting adults. Although porn actors are also paid, porn is much easier to regulate and there are very strict punishments for porn where it violates the law. Anyone can see what is on the Internet, so child porn can be tracked, and trafficking is virtually impossible and not at all practical for obvious reasons.


What is love? Tis not hereafter;
Present mirth hath present laughter:
What's to come is still unsure.

The Fool
What You Will
William Shakespeare
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
legal, porn, prostitution

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright ©1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.