TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Innocent man spends 7 years in Guantánamo without access to trial - January 10th 2012, 06:24 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/op...&smid=fb-share

This has only added more justification to my decision to never set foot in America. America really has turned into the shitstain of the world since 9/11. I feel so sorry for Americans

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Innocent man spends 7 years in Guantánamo without access to trial - January 10th 2012, 06:29 PM

This is CRAZY if you are locked up anywhere else(in this country) you get a trial, but then again I do not believe in human justice anyway, for this reason.

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

PM me
All or nothing for Christ Was I love dogs

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son that whosoever believeth in Him should not parish, but have everlasting life John 3:16 ( 21st century King James Viersion)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Innocent man spends 7 years in Guantánamo without access to trial - January 10th 2012, 06:35 PM

In America, thanks to NDAA, you no longer have access to a fair trial. They can lock you up as long as they want and they don't have to prove or justify a thing! YAAAAY!

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Re: Innocent man spends 7 years in Guantánamo without access to trial - January 10th 2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
In America, thanks to NDAA, you no longer have access to a fair trial. They can lock you up as long as they want and they don't have to prove or justify a thing! YAAAAY!
However, if they can NOT prove it once you go to trial you are free, even if you killed ten people. By the way, MUCH of the reason people do not get trials is because the courts are so backed up. For most crimes, if you have bail money you may go free until your trial, since it may take several years, this is helpful.

PM me

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son that whosoever believeth in Him should not parish, but have everlasting life John 3:16 ( 21st century King James Viersion)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Innocent man spends 7 years in Guantánamo without access to trial - January 10th 2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLorNOTHINGforCHRIST View Post
However, if they can NOT prove it once you go to trial you are free, even if you killed ten people. By the way, MUCH of the reason people do not get trials is because the courts are so backed up. For most crimes, if you have bail money you may go free until your trial, since it may take several years, this is helpful.
The problem is that now you may not even be able to prove your innocence. They don't have to give you access to a trial. They used to, but not anymore. They can now hold you indefinitely with no justification and no access to trial. Many people can't afford bail money.

Also, isn't part of the reason, if not the whole reason, that the courts are so backed up because America arrests more people than pretty much any other country in the world?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Re: Innocent man spends 7 years in Guantánamo without access to trial - January 10th 2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post

The problem is that now you may not even be able to prove your innocence. They don't have to give you access to a trial. They used to, but not anymore. They can now hold you indefinitely with no justification and no access to trial. Many people can't afford bail money.

Also, isn't part of the reason, if not the whole reason, that the courts are so backed up because America arrests more people than any other country in the world?
yes, that is part of the reason, but that is the thing people choose to abuse freedom. They break the law and they go to jail, as a result. As for bail money, I understand that, but they do base much of it off the person. Sometimes(depending on the crime) the person is released on his/her OR, basically their word is enough. As for people who do NOT get out on their OR and can not afford it life is that way (in everything) the more money you have usually the better off you are and the more you can get away with.

PM me

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: Innocent man spends 7 years in Guantánamo without access to trial - January 11th 2012, 02:48 AM

Quote:
This has only added more justification to my decision to never set foot in America. America really has turned into the shitstain of the world since 9/11. I feel so sorry for Americans

I'm not saying this to defend my country, but every country has their goods and their bads. Don't let something like this, judge your whole outlook on a country. Every country has their own set of laws, and each country's legal system varies. Instead of bashing a country saying that you wouldn't step foot in it, try to understand the clear picture.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Innocent man spends 7 years in Guantánamo without access to trial - January 11th 2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
I'm not saying this to defend my country, but every country has their goods and their bads. Don't let something like this, judge your whole outlook on a country. Every country has their own set of laws, and each country's legal system varies. Instead of bashing a country saying that you wouldn't step foot in it, try to understand the clear picture.
It's not just this that makes me never want to visit. The whole place is a mess. It's redeeming factor is that it's filled with very nice, if often ignorant, people, and it has some incredible landmarks. The main problem is that if I step foot in that country, my life is at risk. I can be carted off to a FEMA camp if I do anything the govt. doesn't like. Not to mention the constant, and rapidly increasing, security checks. More and more police are in schools, many are responsible for discipline; mainly because the school is fucking sick of being sued every time they step in, so they just get an outside authority to do it instead. The economy's non existent, the country's values and believes are buttfuck backwards; put a "Legalise same-sex marriage" vote to the country and see what you get. Not to mention the whole political system is beyond corrupt and your own leader can't do anything about it. The corporations run the place, with no signs of stopping.

Although in all fairness Britain isn't that good either, although I would say it's better at everything I just pointed out.

It's unfortunate because I have many, many great American friends but there's so many reasons not to go that I just cannot justify it, especially with the risk it places on my life.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Innocent man spends 7 years in Guantánamo without access to trial - January 13th 2012, 07:50 AM

...Don't judge us on what our government does, that's not nice of you. I'm not violent, I swear. This is absolutely disgraceful, this article. Ugheughhh.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
Our life is what we make it
I've been here a while

Name: Nick (Or Nico)

Re: Innocent man spends 7 years in Guantánamo without access to trial - January 13th 2012, 08:29 AM

This happens so much in America I'm not even surprised anymore.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!

(#11 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Innocent man spends 7 years in Guantánamo without access to trial - January 13th 2012, 07:14 PM

Fancy getting thrown in guantanamo bay for carrying a bottle of water through customs?, Go to America.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: Innocent man spends 7 years in Guantánamo without access to trial - January 14th 2012, 10:25 AM

I'm not surprised at all.
This comes from a country and a Governement that has been waging a "war against drugs" since Nixon's term, which has caused imprisonment rates to skyrocket since its implementation. This would only be as bad as it sounds if most of those imprisoned due to this "war" weren't violent offenders at all, and if prisons in the USA weren't being run by private corrections companies/public corporations, one of hich is known as Crowley Corrections America.
CCA been found, in writing, saying that, in a 10K form to the United States Securities and Exchange Comission "the demand for [their] facilities would be adversely affected by the relaxtation of enforcment methods, leniency in convicition or parole standards and senetencing practices...". They also utilize tax dollars in order to run their company and commit to their services, which would make sense, as they run alledgedly public prisons. And yet, this company does have a private sector, as it is a corporation indeed, which also means shareholders, who benefit fiscally from CCA's profits. They also provided federal catidates $100,000 USD in 2008 (15% Democrats, 85% Republican).
So, in a country where shareholders and politicians earn money via the operation of prisons, I'm not surprised to hear that something like this can happen at all.
The example I've provided is just one of the many reasons I find America's justice and prison systems a complete and utter mess.
The frequency of disgraceful occurences like this happening just appears to be on the rise.

One million miles away...

(#13 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Innocent man spends 7 years in Guantánamo without access to trial - January 14th 2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Mr. Self Destruct~ View Post
I'm not surprised at all.
This comes from a country and a Governement that has been waging a "war against drugs" since Nixon's term, which has caused imprisonment rates to skyrocket since its implementation. This would only be as bad as it sounds if most of those imprisoned due to this "war" weren't violent offenders at all, and if prisons in the USA weren't being run by private corrections companies/public corporations, one of hich is known as Crowley Corrections America.
CCA been found, in writing, saying that, in a 10K form to the United States Securities and Exchange Comission "the demand for [their] facilities would be adversely affected by the relaxtation of enforcment methods, leniency in convicition or parole standards and senetencing practices...". They also utilize tax dollars in order to run their company and commit to their services, which would make sense, as they run alledgedly public prisons. And yet, this company does have a private sector, as it is a corporation indeed, which also means shareholders, who benefit fiscally from CCA's profits. They also provided federal catidates $100,000 USD in 2008 (15% Democrats, 85% Republican).
So, in a country where shareholders and politicians earn money via the operation of prisons, I'm not surprised to hear that something like this can happen at all.
The example I've provided is just one of the many reasons I find America's justice and prison systems a complete and utter mess.
The frequency of disgraceful occurences like this happening just appears to be on the rise.
Wtf?!

Private corporations own prisons? That's sick. Why not just frame and throw half the population in prison? What's there to stop them?

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Closed Thread