TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...

I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Age of Consent - January 12th 2012, 09:19 PM

There may already be a thread similar if so feel free to close this.

Where I live (UK) the age of consent is 16 and personally I think this is too young, schools give very little education on safe sex and different forms of protection. Like many girls in the UK I found out a lot of information about sex through friends and through the internet. I personally think that many 16 year olds are not mature enough to be having sex, especially when a lot do have sex unprotectedly and do not know about the risks of sexually transmitted diseases and that some do not have symptoms at all.

So what are your thoughts, also could we please state what the law(s) on age of consent where you're from.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Age of Consent - January 12th 2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpaigiexx View Post
There may already be a thread similar if so feel free to close this.

Where I live (UK) the age of consent is 16 and personally I think this is too young, schools give very little education on safe sex and different forms of protection. Like many girls in the UK I found out a lot of information about sex through friends and through the internet. I personally think that many 16 year olds are not mature enough to be having sex, especially when a lot do have sex unprotectedly and do not know about the risks of sexually transmitted diseases and that some do not have symptoms at all.

So what are your thoughts, also could we please state what the law(s) on age of consent where you're from.
As far as I'm concerned age of consent only matters in terms of statutory rape. I'm pretty sure most people only think about age of consent when it comes to that. So basically it doesn't matter if the age of consent is 16 if two 14 year olds want to have sex they are going to do it, and they aren't going to be charged for it. And I say if someone feels they are ready we can't control what they do and whatever age. What we can control is sex ed, and obviously in the case you are talking about that's what needs to be improved on.

Now personally I prefer the age of consent to be 18, just because of cases of statutory. It makes me uncomfortable that a 35 year old could get away with having sex with a 16 year old. But only if there are Romeo and Juliet laws as well that allow certain age gaps.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: Age of Consent - January 12th 2012, 09:36 PM

Age of consent is such a tricky issue. In California where I live, it's 18. I think that is a suitable age. However in Nevada, which isn't that far from California, the age of consent is 16. I don't think that's right at all. That is just allowing teenage girls to ruin their lives. They are allowed to have sex with grown adult men, and it's legal. It just makes me so sick. I totally agree with what you are saying about how unhealthy it is.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Age of Consent - January 12th 2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
Age of consent is such a tricky issue. In California where I live, it's 18. I think that is a suitable age. However in Nevada, which isn't that far from California, the age of consent is 16. I don't think that's right at all. That is just allowing teenage girls to ruin their lives. They are allowed to have sex with grown adult men, and it's legal. It just makes me so sick. I totally agree with what you are saying about how unhealthy it is.
So just to clarify your problem with the 16 is because they can have sex with adults? But if they were having sex with someone closer to their age do you still disagree?

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#5 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Age of Consent - January 12th 2012, 09:56 PM

I think it should be lower if anything. Most people are ready to make their choice by 15 if not 14, at least, everybody I know in person was.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Age of Consent - January 12th 2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I think it should be lower if anything. Most people are ready to make their choice by 15 if not 14, at least, everybody I know in person was.
Yes but you aren't taking into account that age of consent means that at that age you can have sex with anyone of any age above that. Which means if a 14 year old has sex with her teacher that teacher wouldn't have done anything criminally wrong.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Age of Consent - January 12th 2012, 11:08 PM

I'm from the state of Arizona, and ours is 18. However, it's not really encforced unless it's somebody like 30 with somebody 16 or something.

18 I think is too old, I actually think 16 is a good age, but I know what you mean about the sex education. I think we should have better sexual education, but then I think 16 is a really good age. It's enough that you're in high school and can make some decisions on your own, and also can avoid like 13 year olds being used by 17 year olds, but at the same time, it's not old enough to the point of...voting. However, I also get Matt's view. It is your own life. It's kind of odd when the government regulates things like sex and marriage.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Age of Consent - January 12th 2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
Yes but you aren't taking into account that age of consent means that at that age you can have sex with anyone of any age above that. Which means if a 14 year old has sex with her teacher that teacher wouldn't have done anything criminally wrong.
You're implying that the 2 year difference, from 14 to 16, is significant enough that once 16 it is okay.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: Age of Consent - January 12th 2012, 11:27 PM

In my state, the age of consent is 17. As far as I'm aware, at least for my state (not sure about other states), you can only date someone older within 2 years of that age. So, for example, a 17 year old and a 19 year old dating is perfectly fine. Anything older that would still be considered statutory rape (or illegal). Personally, whether or not states have an age of consent laws, kids are going to have sex no matter what age they are. Depending on who they are sleeping with, who are we to judge (I'm not saying it's OK to have sex with an adult, but it's their choice and there WILL be consequences these people will have to live with).

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Age of Consent - January 12th 2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:

You're implying that the 2 year difference, from 14 to 16, is significant enough that once 16 it is okay.
In my first post I said that I think the age of consent should be 18 because of the sex with adults issue. However I would still hope there would be laws that would take in to account teens in relationships with older teens. Such as a 16 and a 19 year old.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Grey Wind Offline
Average Joe

Re: Age of Consent - January 12th 2012, 11:56 PM

In Canada it's 16, with a 5 year close in age difference for those 14-15. Which basically means for a 14 year old the limit is 19, and for a 15 year old its 20. I believe we have a position of authority law (like some states in the US do) where its bumped up to 18 to have sex with someone like your teacher.

It used to be 14 a few years ago, though. But a 40 something year old pedophile from Texas met a 14 year old boy here on the internet, so he flew in to the country so they could have consensual sex. That caused a bit of a stir, so its 16 now.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
ARootlessTree Offline
ಠ_ಠ
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Toz

Re: Age of Consent - January 13th 2012, 02:22 AM

If she's old enough to pee, she's old enough for me

(I'm joking.)

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Age of Consent - January 13th 2012, 02:58 AM

I think that the age of consent should be 16.

At 16, you can legally drive without an adult in the car with you and you have the choice to drop out of high school if you choose to. If a 16 year old is allowed to have that kind of responsibility and make those kind of choices about their education, then they should be allowed to have sex with whomever they choose to. 16 year olds aren't little kids and they have the ability to think rationally and make their own choices.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Age of Consent - January 13th 2012, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty. View Post
I think that the age of consent should be 16.

At 16, you can legally drive without an adult in the car with you and you have the choice to drop out of high school if you choose to. If a 16 year old is allowed to have that kind of responsibility and make those kind of choices about their education, then they should be allowed to have sex with whomever they choose to. 16 year olds aren't little kids and they have the ability to think rationally and make their own choices.
I disagree. First of all the driving thing isn't true everywhere, it's 17 in some states. Also there are states where you cannot drop out of high school at 16. While I think a 16 year old is certainly old enough to have sex, it's also an age where an older adult can easily manipulate.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Age of Consent - January 13th 2012, 03:40 AM

Quote:
I disagree. First of all the driving thing isn't true everywhere, it's 17 in some states. Also there are states where you cannot drop out of high school at 16. While I think a 16 year old is certainly old enough to have sex, it's also an age where an older adult can easily manipulate.
In the majority of states, you can get a license at 16. An adult could easily manipulate an 18 year old. I know 18 year olds who have been manipulated. Obviously, there has to be an age of consent. I feel that at 16, when the majority of people start getting responsibilities like jobs, driving, etc., they should be able to choose to have sex with whomever they please.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Re: Age of Consent - January 13th 2012, 03:58 AM

Personally, I believe the age of consent rule should be lowered to 14 (the presumed age of legal self-responsibility in Australia) or 10 (the doli incapax rule in most Commonwealth court systems). It's a pointless waste of judicial time and money; if a child over the age of 10 can commit a crime and be charged and convicted, why can they not have sex with someone two years older than them?

Statutory rape laws should continue as is, especially in cases of relationships of trust and supervision.

Because in the end, it doesn't even matter.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
Our life is what we make it
I've been here a while

Name: Nick (Or Nico)

Re: Age of Consent - January 13th 2012, 08:35 AM

Age of consent laws are in place to protect kids, basically, which pretty much no one follows, so I believe it should be lower. If it was 14, that doesn't mean that 14 year old's everywhere are going to start sleeping with adults, a few might, but no the majority, so that argument isn't reflective of reality because it happens now it's just not legal, this just means it can't be prosecuted.

Where it starts becoming negative is when we have 10 year old on Sex Offender Lists like we do right now because they engaged in sexual play with a friend and are now branded sex offenders.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!

(#18 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Age of Consent - January 13th 2012, 12:21 PM

Age of consent doesn't really have a lot of effect in my opinion. Yea, make it 18, but it's only really sending a weak message that it's "wrong" if you're under 18. The few times it will be enforced, it will probably be for the wrong reasons, such as the parents of the younger kid getting mad and frantic. Truth is they'd be just as mad and frantic, even if it was legal. That's just how a lot of parents are. It's generally unusual for there to be age gaps beyond 3 years at those ages.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: Age of Consent - January 13th 2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Actually, at least in my state, there are laws against teachers having sex with their students apart from the age of consent laws. If I recall correctly, anyone is a 'position of power' over a minor is not allowed to have sex with them regardless of age of consent.

~Cody

Normal User

(#20 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Age of Consent - January 13th 2012, 03:31 PM

Cody you hit the word I was looking for there: minor. I don't think that adults should be allowed to legally have sex with minors (once again except in instances with age gaps like up to 3 or 5 years). I mean come on some 14 year olds do look 14 they look younger so if at 35 year old is having sex with a 14 year old I'm pretty sure most people would consider that pedophilia. Why the hell would we want that to be legal?

(#21 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: Age of Consent - January 13th 2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Cody you hit the word I was looking for there: minor. I don't think that adults should be allowed to legally have sex with minors (once again except in instances with age gaps like up to 3 or 5 years). I mean come on some 14 year olds do look 14 they look younger so if at 35 year old is having sex with a 14 year old I'm pretty sure most people would consider that pedophilia. Why the hell would we want that to be legal?

Honestly, if a 16 year old is going to be having sex with a 35 year old, neither party probably has the strongest judgement skills and they'd probably do it regardless of the law.

And at the age is currently is in most places (16) I think it's good. I mean, there are plenty of 16 and 17 year old girls that end up at parties with guys my age. They're going to end up having sex, no need to ruin some poor dudes life because a girl showed up and looked older than she was. 14-15 year olds and younger can't generally drive, for one, and if a guy is mistaking them for old enough, he's an idiot anyway. I don't really think that any younger than 16 would be acceptable, it's right on the edge, but I don't think it should be higher either. I think that having a couple years of buffer is reasonable.

And it's not like any 16 year old would give a shit if the law was changed anyway, so it'd just be bogging down the legal system with entirely pointless prosecutions.

~Cody

Normal User

(#22 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Age of Consent - January 13th 2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Would you be against a 15 year old and a 16 year old having sex?
what about a 15 year old and an 18 year old?

What about a 15 year old male and an 18 year old female? Most people I know don't consider that as serious.

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: Age of Consent - January 13th 2012, 07:06 PM

None of those are a big deal. I know age different when people are young, say 15 year old and an 18 year old seems HUGE to some people, but in truth, it's really not. A 15 year old and a 16 year old is no big deal. Neither is a 15 year old and an 18 year old. If they get caught, their their own doing, but I highly doubt it. The 15 year old wouldn't be the one in trouble, it would be the 18 year old who has to deal with the legal issues.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Age of Consent - January 13th 2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:

Would you be against a 15 year old and a 16 year old having sex?
what about a 15 year old and an 18 year old?

What about a 15 year old male and an 18 year old female? Most people I know don't consider that as serious.
To quote myself:
"But only if there are Romeo and Juliet laws as well that allow certain age gaps."
"However I would still hope there would be laws that would take in to account teens in relationships with older teens. Such as a 16 and a 19 year old."
"once again except in instances with age gaps like up to 3 or 5 years"

(#25 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Re: Age of Consent - January 14th 2012, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNumber42 View Post

Actually, at least in my state, there are laws against teachers having sex with their students apart from the age of consent laws. If I recall correctly, anyone is a 'position of power' over a minor is not allowed to have sex with them regardless of age of consent.
You're correct.

A person can be tried for statutory rape even if the "minor" is 99 years old. As long as the 'subject' is in a position of power or authority (teacher; mentor; lecturer; etc.), they can be tried for statutory rape. Where I live, a sporting agent had sex with an 18 year old, which is fine. When he later announced that, when they first met, he was her 'mentor', he was tried and convicted of statutory rape.

Age of consent is irrelevant in that circumstance, so it's really an irrelevant issue for this discussion.

Because in the end, it doesn't even matter.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: Age of Consent - January 15th 2012, 06:44 PM

I think the age of consent should be concordant with the age that public schools would teach comprehensive sex education. Additionally, a certain level of flexibility (within a small range) should be set, so as to prevent an eighteen year old having sex with his/her seventeen year old partner being illegal.

I can't say for an exact age of consent, but anything under sixteen seems very unwise.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Re: Age of Consent - January 15th 2012, 07:57 PM

I don't think there's anything wrong with the age of consent being 16. And sex education's only inadequate in some places; maybe it's just luck of the draw, but my primary school was teaching us about contraceptives, and we had safe-sex talks every year all the way through secondary school.

With regards to teens having sex with older men; in the UK, if the teen is under 18, then they can still press charges of statutory rape if the other party is over the age of 18, so sex becomes legal with another 16/17 year old at the age of 16, but sex between a 17 year old and 35 year old can be statutory rape, if the 17 year old wants to press charges.

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#28 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Age of Consent - January 16th 2012, 07:15 AM

Well my views are mixed. I live in California, where as someone mentioned, the age of consent is 18. But cops usually don't enforce that rule. I think 16 is an okay age. My problem is just how young people are having sex in general, but that's more for like 13-15 year olds. So 16 sounds fine to me.

(#29 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Age of Consent - January 16th 2012, 02:46 PM

No matter what the age of consent is someone somewhere is going to have under-age sex, making the age higher will not do anything, if someone wants to have sex they are going to do so despite what the law and age of consent is.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#30 (permalink)) Old
punk rocker with attitude
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jennifer

Re: Age of Consent - January 16th 2012, 03:00 PM

I like it how it is but i heard in michigan here that they are thinking about changing the laws if someone is less than 5 years younger and below the age of concent their in trouble, the age of concent is still going to be there but more rules. I think that is kind of stupid.

You can't live a positive life with a negative mind and if you have a positive outcome you have a positive income and just to have more positivity and just to kind of laugh it off. ~ Miley Cyrus

Send a message via MSN to Pessimistic Panda Send a message via Yahoo to Pessimistic Panda  
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Age of Consent - January 16th 2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
I like it how it is but i heard in michigan here that they are thinking about changing the laws if someone is less than 5 years younger and below the age of concent their in trouble, the age of concent is still going to be there but more rules. I think that is kind of stupid.
Why's that?

(#32 (permalink)) Old
RadkeLover Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Tyler

Re: Age of Consent - January 17th 2012, 05:40 PM

I live in one of the few (only?) states in the US that the age of consent is 16, i honestly have no opinion about it, i mean sure, younger kids have sex and so do older kids but its whatever, i mean i think its ridiculous that a 17 cant have sex with a 15 year old without it being rape, but still.

What is love? I lost the meaning long ago.
  Send a message via AIM to RadkeLover Send a message via MSN to RadkeLover Send a message via Skype™ to RadkeLover 
  (#33 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Re: Age of Consent - January 17th 2012, 07:09 PM

I may be wrong, but I BELIEVE that although the Age of Consent in California is 18, it is technically legal for two minors or a minor and an adult within 3 years of age of one-another to have sex. So a 14 yr old can have sex with a 17 yr old, a 15 yr old with an 18 yr old, a 16 yr old with a 19 yr old and etc. I personally think that is a fairly reasonable law. So long as sex is done safely and with consent from both parties involved, I think it is fine. I also may be wrong about this, but I think the sticky on Age of Consent might have some misinformation--many states are listed as sex simply being illegal under a certain age, however I'm pretty certain that Planned Parenthood and other agencies offer sexual health services to minors in those states. Do you really mean to tell me that if a doctor in one of those states asks a teenage patient if they're sexually active, and they say "yes", they're supposed to be dragged away to jail? I'm really hoping that is not the intent of these laws, because if so, that's absolutely ridiculous.

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17

(#34 (permalink)) Old
FriendZoneMayor Offline
My lovelife is the Hokey-Pokey
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Summer/Shawn

Re: Age of Consent - January 18th 2012, 06:03 PM

Wisconsin laws get rather tricky with the term "consent." By law, a person can give consent to "sexual activity not involving penile penetration" at age 16, so basically everything except vaginal, anal, and oral sex on a man are legal at age 16. For the other three things, the law is 18.

As far as the statutory rape situation, a lot of places say that an 18-year-old and 17-year-old cannot be sexually active because one is an adult and the other is a minor, thus (theoretically) making the 18-year-old a pedophile. It might surprise some people to say that an 18-year-old can date someone as young as 16, depending on where their birthdays fall. According to consent laws (I know this is the case for WI, idk about the rest of the US), as long as there is less than a 3-year age difference between the two individuals, and they are otherwise abiding by the law, it's legal for an adult to be involved with a minor.
Also, I'd like to just clear up a couple of words. Most people think that a pedophile is someone who is sexually involved with a minor. According to the legal definition, a pedophile is actually someone who is sexually involved with a CHILD, or a person who hasn't yet hit puberty. Once said child enters puberty, if the adult is more than three years older than the minor-in-question, it's called phebophilia.
So there ya go, WAAAAAYYYYYYY more info than you'll ever need to know about consent in Wisconsin

“I can only hope that they’ll turn that anger and frustration and madness into something positive, so that two, three, four, five hundred will step forward, so the gay doctors will come out, the gay lawyers, the gay judges, gay bankers, gay architects … I hope that every professional gay will say ‘enough’, come forward and tell everybody, wear a sign, let the world know. Maybe that will help.” Harvey Milk, 1978

http://amanoutofyou.tumblr.com

(#35 (permalink)) Old
hoʻonani i ka makua mau
Average Joe

Name: Nicole

Re: Age of Consent - January 22nd 2012, 04:33 AM

In Hawaii the age of consent is 16. Though I'm pretty sure no one really pays attention to that. Girls in my class have been getting pregnant since like 6th or 7th grade and my high school has the highest pregnancy rate in the state and also the 2nd or 3rd highest rate of STDs. They do make you take sex ed in the 9th grade unless your parents sign the paper saying you cannot take the class because of religious/personal beliefs or whatever.

I don't think making the age of consent higher or lower will change much here honestly, since majority of the girls I know who got pregnant before 18 were in the 13-14 year range anyway. If kids want to have sex, they're gonna have sex.

(#36 (permalink)) Old
Zero. Offline
Meeeeeeeeewrth!
Not a n00b

Re: Age of Consent - February 4th 2012, 08:55 AM

Age of consent should be 12. I mean, it's just fair because 12 year olds have to pay full fare on the bus yet they don't get adult privilages.

(#37 (permalink)) Old
rizz Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Rhiannon

Re: Age of Consent - February 4th 2012, 09:08 AM

i so where i'm from in australia age of consent is tricky to understand in its self alone

ok so you can have sex if your 16 as long as its not with a person who is in an authority position, if you are under 16 it can be with some one as long as they are no more the 2 yrs older or younger but once you turn 18 it doesn't matter as long as that person is not family or a minor (schools still kick teachers and students out if found having a relationship though but once the student leaves then they can)... that's confusing in itself

i believe that they really need to simplify the law and that a person should not be having sex if they are under 16 and a 16 year old should not be allowed to have sex with someone 18 yrs and older

Luv those who cannot luv themselves
Giv a hug to a friend
Luv those who luv u bak
Blow a kiss times ten
Luv is everywhere u look
Around every corner

Closed Thread