TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachell

OMG! Pet Cloning Produces ‘Double Trouble’ - January 20th 2012, 07:49 PM

(GABRIEL BOUYS/AFP/Getty Images)

When Danielle Tarantola’s beloved dog Trouble died at the age of 18, she decided she simply couldn’t go on without him. So she paid $50,000 to a company in South Korea to clone the dog, and she is now the proud owner of an exact genetic replica of her original pet, aptly named Double Trouble. Even if you could afford it, would you pay $50,000 to clone YOUR pet?
Tarantola says she can barely tell the difference between the original Trouble and his replacement. Pet cloning has been highly controversial since the famous cloning of Dolly the sheep back in 1996. The procedure for dogs is currently only available in South Korea.
I find the whole idea of ‘cloning’ quite disturbing, creepy and just plain wrong. But that is just my personal opinion. I am curious to see what the majority of people think about ‘cloning a pet’ too!

(found on www.wycd.com)

~I was always scared of everything, even the carousel.~

~Don't worry about me. I'm sort of feeling fine, but by tomorrow, I'll be back on my feet again.~

-Goodnight Tonight

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: OMG! Pet Cloning Produces ‘Double Trouble’ - January 20th 2012, 07:57 PM

I find it a bit strange, but I do see where this woman is coming from. She had her beloved pet for 18 years, and when he passed away, I'm sure she felt lost. I know I did when I lost my beloved pet of 16 years back in 2006. However, I would never consider having him cloned, and I wouldn't consider cloning my current pet, Boost. It's messing with what nature is there for; nothing is meant to live forever.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: OMG! Pet Cloning Produces ‘Double Trouble’ - January 20th 2012, 08:10 PM

Anyone? Yes?

Anyway, if you can afford it and want to spend the money, fine.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I don’t seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: OMG! Pet Cloning Produces ‘Double Trouble’ - January 20th 2012, 09:33 PM

I know she said she can't tell the difference, but there will be differences. Personalities develop from a mixture of genetics and experience, so every person/being is different. I of course must bring this up because I'm a twin and it weirds out about people thinking personality will be the same.

I don't like the cloning thing. I think this direction in science is very positive, with doing step cell research to cure diseases. But closing animals/people? No me gusta.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: OMG! Pet Cloning Produces ‘Double Trouble’ - January 20th 2012, 10:06 PM

I really love my dog with all my heart and it would be terrible when he dies but no. I would adopt another dog there are so many dogs out there wanting homes, we had good memories and everything but cloning them... I don't think.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: OMG! Pet Cloning Produces ‘Double Trouble’ - January 20th 2012, 10:40 PM

When Dolly was first cloned, one of the biggest issues was the fact she didn't behave the same and had a variety of physiological problems. Double Trouble may have the same physical appearance as Trouble but it's questionable whether Double Trouble behaves in the same manner.

I would consider cloning one of my dogs. I would not expect the clone to behave in the same manner, instead I'd look forward to the new behaviour as though it were a completely new dog. The two biggest concerns for me would be the money needed to clone the dog as well as whether there was an increased likelihood of health complications early in life. If there were a high likelihood, I would simply get a new dog in the old fashioned way by going to the pound, humane society or contacting breeders.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#7 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: OMG! Pet Cloning Produces ‘Double Trouble’ - January 21st 2012, 12:03 AM

I'm against breeding dogs when there are so many in the shelter, no shit I'd be against cloning....

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: OMG! Pet Cloning Produces ‘Double Trouble’ - January 21st 2012, 09:16 AM

What a horrible way to spend money. Why not just adopt that same breed?

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: OMG! Pet Cloning Produces ‘Double Trouble’ - January 21st 2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
What a horrible way to spend money. Why not just adopt that same breed?
You find it horrible, she didn't. If that's how she wants to spend her money, she should be allowed to. Does it in any way inconvenience other people? I don't think so. If some billionaire wants to buy himself a gold plated Bugatti Veyron, again, it's their money. In fact it's better that he buys it than not... otherwise what else would the money be doing? Nothing? What use is that?

Plus funding for this type of technology has to come from somewhere. I doubt the company's expenses for cloning the dog are $50,000. Especially in countries like South Korea.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
blumemusik♫ Offline
~Savvy?
I've been here a while

Name: Kate

Re: OMG! Pet Cloning Produces ‘Double Trouble’ - January 21st 2012, 03:13 PM

The thing is, it's slightly pointless. I see where she's coming from, I would be distraught if my dog died, but I still think it's wrong. The dog was cloned from old cells. In the case of Dolly, she died from age-related illness even though she was less than half of the average life-span of such a sheep (or something like that.) So this new dog won't live very long, and what will she do then? Pay yet another $50,000 to clone this dog and halve the life-span again?

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: OMG! Pet Cloning Produces ‘Double Trouble’ - January 22nd 2012, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDF View Post
You find it horrible, she didn't. If that's how she wants to spend her money, she should be allowed to. Does it in any way inconvenience other people? I don't think so. If some billionaire wants to buy himself a gold plated Bugatti Veyron, again, it's their money. In fact it's better that he buys it than not... otherwise what else would the money be doing? Nothing? What use is that?

Plus funding for this type of technology has to come from somewhere. I doubt the company's expenses for cloning the dog are $50,000. Especially in countries like South Korea.
Well that money could have gone to hungry kids in third world countries. It would have been smarter and cheaper to have adopted another dog than to do what she did.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: OMG! Pet Cloning Produces ‘Double Trouble’ - January 22nd 2012, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asthenophobia. View Post
The thing is, it's slightly pointless. I see where she's coming from, I would be distraught if my dog died, but I still think it's wrong. The dog was cloned from old cells. In the case of Dolly, she died from age-related illness even though she was less than half of the average life-span of such a sheep (or something like that.) So this new dog won't live very long, and what will she do then? Pay yet another $50,000 to clone this dog and halve the life-span again?
You misunderstood the case of Dolly. She was euthanized after having lung cancer and severe arthritis. The controversy that follows is whether these health detriments were due to the cloning process, which at the time was less understood and refined than today because the cancer was very common in sheep. Furthermore, Dolly produced several healthy young sheep from mating, which weakens the argument of a genetic flaw resulting in a reduced lifespan. This leaves several possibilities, including genetic material was taken from a middle-aged sheep instead of a younger one (although this was part of the purpose of the study it is also a weakness).
http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/apr03/030415f.asp

It is not an issue whether the cells per say are "old" since cells in healthy organisms die and are replaced. Instead, the issue is re-programming adult genetic material as it is no longer totipotent or pluripotent, successfully cloning mitochondrial DNA, etc... .

However, I don't see why there's a fuss over how much she spends. After all, does her spending $50,000 affect you, your family or any pets you have? Of course not. Once the cloned dog dies and she puts up another $50,000 I fail to see how that is anyone's concern or business other than hers. You may disagree with it for whatever reasons, whether it be the cloning of Dolly or molecular and cellular biology, none of which you understand, or moral/ethical issues. If you are to boldly suggest the cloned dog's lifespan will be halved, you need to support that statement either through reasoning or evidence, none of which you've shown.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#13 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: OMG! Pet Cloning Produces ‘Double Trouble’ - January 22nd 2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
Well that money could have gone to hungry kids in third world countries. It would have been smarter and cheaper to have adopted another dog than to do what she did.
I agree. But it's pointless expecting other people to do this kind of stuff. The only thing you can do about it, is to do it yourself when you get the opportunity.

Maybe I sounded slightly offensive... but I have an aversion that sometimes surfaces, towards any ideas that other people have any sort of obligation to disclose or justify how they spend their own money, if it doesn't directly harm others.

I say this after feeling like I had been bullied by my own parents in the past into having to justify every last penny that I spent, and justify every second of my time. I am not exaggerating.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; January 22nd 2012 at 12:43 PM.

Closed Thread