TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

First new U.S. nuclear reactors in decades approved - February 14th 2012, 05:26 AM

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,3657441.story

About fucking time.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I donít seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: First new U.S. nuclear reactors in decades approved - February 14th 2012, 06:18 PM

Scary o.o dunno if that's a good thing.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: First new U.S. nuclear reactors in decades approved - February 14th 2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberpamber View Post
Scary o.o dunno if that's a good thing.
Everyone always freaks when they here the word Nuclear, but right now, it's just what we need to start transitioning into an infrastructure not reliant on coal and other fossil fuels.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Grey Wind Offline
Average Joe

Re: First new U.S. nuclear reactors in decades approved - February 14th 2012, 07:03 PM

This has been in the works since nuclear power was included in Obama's green energy statements, so it is about time. Always funny to see Democrats jumping on the nuclear power bandwagon.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: First new U.S. nuclear reactors in decades approved - February 14th 2012, 07:07 PM

Much as I still have serious reservations about the end-of-process and end-of-life aspects of nuclear reactors, I agree with Ben on this one. Nuclear power is, at present, the best means of reducing reliance on fossil fuels and starting to tackle carbon dioxide emissions (and yes, I realise nuclear power also produces CO2 via the mining process, but it's still an improvement). It may also give some impetus to properly investigating alternative, renewable sources and developing suitable infrastructure, if only to get rid of the political hot potato this is and stave off the inevitable problems when the availability of suitable-quality uranium decreases. But I digress. Anything which cuts down coal and oil dependency in a sustainable manner is a positive step in my book.

Also, I had no idea there hadn't been any more developed in the USA since 1978 - that really does surprise me.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#6 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: First new U.S. nuclear reactors in decades approved - February 14th 2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005 View Post
Much as I still have serious reservations about the end-of-process and end-of-life aspects of nuclear reactors, I agree with Ben on this one. Nuclear power is, at present, the best means of reducing reliance on fossil fuels and starting to tackle carbon dioxide emissions (and yes, I realise nuclear power also produces CO2 via the mining process, but it's still an improvement). It may also give some impetus to properly investigating alternative, renewable sources and developing suitable infrastructure, if only to get rid of the political hot potato this is and stave off the inevitable problems when the availability of suitable-quality uranium decreases. But I digress. Anything which cuts down coal and oil dependency in a sustainable manner is a positive step in my book.

Also, I had no idea there hadn't been any more developed in the USA since 1978 - that really does surprise me.
Honestly, right now it'd be a good way to start getting more into Thorium reactors. Much smaller footprint, physically and ecologically, with a much larger energy output.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: First new U.S. nuclear reactors in decades approved - February 14th 2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTank77 View Post
Honestly, right now it'd be a good way to start getting more into Thorium reactors. Much smaller footprint, physically and ecologically, with a much larger energy output.
Agreed - think some of the proposed designs are safer overall as well, if memory serves me correctly. Only problem I can think of is getting the technology developed enough to overcome the need to irradiate the fuel in the first place, but with time and research they should get there.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#8 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: First new U.S. nuclear reactors in decades approved - February 15th 2012, 07:44 AM

I find that most people who go into a panic over the mention of nuclear power are idiots. They quote what happened in Japan not so long ago etc... they seem to conveniently forget that there was an earthquake at the root of the cause.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
BECCALICIOUS! Offline
take me as you found me.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Re: First new U.S. nuclear reactors in decades approved - February 22nd 2012, 12:24 AM

YAY NEW JOBS FOR MEEEEEEEEEEEE! (The nuclear engineering major.)

when you love and laugh abundantly you live a beautiful life.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Incompris Offline
Isaiah 40:30-31
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Chandler

Re: First new U.S. nuclear reactors in decades approved - February 22nd 2012, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDF View Post
I find that most people who go into a panic over the mention of nuclear power are idiots. They quote what happened in Japan not so long ago etc... they seem to conveniently forget that there was an earthquake at the root of the cause.
It's not fair to call them idiots. Uninformed does not equal stupid. Plus, their concerns are valid. Nuclear power can potentially be dangerous.

Japan gets earthquakes all the time and their buildings are built to withstand quakes. It was the tsunami specifically that caused the meltdown. I suppose you could blame it on the earthquake, since it caused the tsunami..... but still the earthquake alone didn't cause the meltdown.

I think this is a good thing, though.

We were made to be courageous.

Everybody falls sometimes
Gotta find the strength to rise
From the ashes and make a new beginning
Anyone can feel the ache
You think itís more than you can take
But you're stronger, stronger than you know
Donít you give up now
The sun will soon be shining
You gotta face the clouds
To find the silver lining

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: First new U.S. nuclear reactors in decades approved - February 22nd 2012, 05:14 AM

It's unfortunate that the Fukoshima incident scared the entire world away from nuclear power (even though this debate has been raging since the 1960's). Is nuclear power perfect? No. Is it completely safe? No. But it's a hell of a lot better than coal, oil and gas. And until better sources can be fully utilized to produce power en masse, nuclear is by far the best we've got.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: First new U.S. nuclear reactors in decades approved - February 22nd 2012, 08:46 AM

Damn yes, I'm glad that we're finally working on improving our energy sector.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Null Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: First new U.S. nuclear reactors in decades approved - February 22nd 2012, 10:35 AM

Now put a mini nuclear reactor in my car. Gas is so damn expensive, and only getting more expensive as the days go by. Headed to LA this weekend, gonna cost an arm and a leg for two tanks of gas.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: First new U.S. nuclear reactors in decades approved - February 23rd 2012, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incompris View Post
It's not fair to call them idiots. Uninformed does not equal stupid. Plus, their concerns are valid. Nuclear power can potentially be dangerous.
Not uninformed. Informed the wrong way and buying into rubbish.

And anything can be dangerous. I might choke on my food today, I might get ran over by a car. Should we all stop eating and driving?

lol no offence though.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Closed Thread