TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

View Poll Results: What do you believe in?
Pro-life 27 29.67%
Pro-choice 53 58.24%
Unsure 2 2.20%
Neither - dispute the terms used. (dr2005) 7 7.69%
Morally PL, Politically PC (FriendZoneMayor) 2 2.20%
Voters: 91. This poll is closed

Closed Thread

(#41 (permalink)) Old
dani99 Offline
Ms.Average
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Danielle

Points: 12,819, Level: 16 Points: 12,819, Level: 16 Points: 12,819, Level: 16

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 12:58 AM

Does it matter if it' not able to live outside the womb? A child that is 30 weeks along isn't guaranteed to be able to live outside of the womb. Does that not make it a baby? Does that not make it a living thing?

Just a girl with an angel above, just a girl with an angel to love. My angel grew wings and she did dare to fly. But I promise my angel, it's only good night but never good-bye. My angel, my angel in heaven above. My angel, my darling, you'll always have my love. Rest in peace, my sweet darling, it's only temporary that we part. My angel, my angel, how you still do steal my heart </3

(#42 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 01:04 AM

Should we illegalize meat eating? It takes away animals' right to live. What about the death penalty?

something burning?
  (#43 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Points: 18,584, Level: 19 Points: 18,584, Level: 19 Points: 18,584, Level: 19

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 01:05 AM

A fetus that is 30 weeks old is developed enough to live outside the womb. If something out of the ordinary happens then well that's out of the ordinary. There is no way that a baby at 12 weeks can survive outside the womb. They are two different things.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#44 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 11,060, Level: 15 Points: 11,060, Level: 15 Points: 11,060, Level: 15

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 01:06 AM

Making abortion illegal is the most ridiculous thing I hear in these debates. It's beyond stupid.

Did making alcohol illegal work? Why won't people go to back street abortions putting their own life in danger in the process? Why not just give the woman the choice?

It's stupid.

Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#45 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 01:09 AM

Stop abortion: Give better sex education (give me a job ) and better condom and birth control access.

something burning?
  (#46 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenonsteroids View Post
Making abortion illegal is the most ridiculous thing I hear in these debates. It's beyond stupid.

Did making alcohol illegal work? Why won't people go to back street abortions putting their own life in danger in the process? Why not just give the woman the choice?

It's stupid.
And that's the major point. Abortion will NEVER truly be gone, even when it was illegal women were still getting abortions, if they weren't lucky enough to find a doctor they were taking coat hangers to themselves and preventing them from EVER having children. Abortion is a necessary evil.

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin
  (#47 (permalink)) Old
dani99 Offline
Ms.Average
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 01:10 AM

I'm not saying that they should make it illegal - I'm just saying I don't believe it's humane and right. I think it's cruel and a terrible thing to do. This world and it's leaders are messed up anyways, and it's things like abortion that help it look even more terrible. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Just because you can doesn't make it right. Killing is never right, even if it is of a glob of cells.

I know that even if abortion was illegal that wouldn't fully solve the problem anyways. With laws you're going to have law breakers, like it or not. But what makes me mad is seeing women going out with no protection having sex all of the time and then end up having an abortion like it's no big deal.

Example, I know a lady who has had 4 abortions in the last several years. Does it make it right because it's her choice? No, because of her irresponsibility her children never got to actually live.

Just a girl with an angel above, just a girl with an angel to love. My angel grew wings and she did dare to fly. But I promise my angel, it's only good night but never good-bye. My angel, my angel in heaven above. My angel, my darling, you'll always have my love. Rest in peace, my sweet darling, it's only temporary that we part. My angel, my angel, how you still do steal my heart </3

(#48 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani99 View Post
I'm not saying that they should make it illegal - I'm just saying I don't believe it's humane and right. I think it's cruel and a terrible thing to do. This world and it's leaders are messed up anyways, and it's things like abortion that help it look even more terrible. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Just because you can doesn't make it right. Killing is never right, even if it is of a glob of cells.
Oh so you are pro-choice.

(#49 (permalink)) Old
Henry Tyrell Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 8,930, Level: 13 Points: 8,930, Level: 13 Points: 8,930, Level: 13

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 01:15 AM

Quote:
This world and it's leaders are messed up anyways, and it's things like abortion that help it look even more terrible...Killing is never right, even if it is of a glob of cells.
You know which group of women want and get the most abortions (legal or not)? Impoverished ones, usually ones with a child or two already.

This world is filled with too many children who are too poor and too hungry and too uneducated. If Abortion=murder then more children= more hungry kids, more poverty, more crime, etc etc.

I, for one, care more for the children who are alive more than I count the "children" that can't survive outside of the womb.
  (#50 (permalink)) Old
dani99 Offline
Ms.Average
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 01:23 AM

No, I'm not pro-choice. I know it won't become illegal so I'm not going to going around saying it should be illegal. I still personally think it's messed up. I still think it's wrong. If I could make it illegal, I would. But I can't, and I can't make them make it illegal.

Also, not every child ends up in poverty. Not every child starves. You say it like every child will end up like that.

(#51 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 01:27 AM

Many children are in poverty and starving. We're in minority, and we've very priviledged. 22,000 children die every day because of poverty.

something burning?
  (#52 (permalink)) Old
dani99 Offline
Ms.Average
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 01:31 AM

Many, but not every. Not every single last child will end up in poverty. Although I am aware not every child is placed into adoption homes, there are some that can. I know some people who can't have kids and would die to adopt (like my aunt) a child.

(#53 (permalink)) Old
George^^ Offline
Hi :D
Senior TeenHelper

Name: George

Points: 14,336, Level: 17 Points: 14,336, Level: 17 Points: 14,336, Level: 17

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 01:49 AM

I'm unsure because well, I think that everyone, even a fetus, should have the right to live and that adoption is always a good option, because I know someone who couldn't give birth herself and they adopted a little boy, and she loves him so much.

But at the same time it's the woman's body, it's her choices on what goes on, but at the same time it's not that hard to get a condom or use birth control or the morning after pill.

I've said it once, I've said it twice, I've said it a thousand fucking times
That I'm OK, that I'm fine, that it's all just in my mind
But this has got the best of me, and I can't seem to sleep
It's not 'cause you're not with me, it's cause you never leave
  (#54 (permalink)) Old
Disappearing Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 16,768, Level: 18 Points: 16,768, Level: 18 Points: 16,768, Level: 18

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 02:59 AM

I'm completely pro-life, in every situation.

I just think babies deserve life.
  (#55 (permalink)) Old
Laurasaurus Offline
Learning to Fly
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Points: 12,022, Level: 15 Points: 12,022, Level: 15 Points: 12,022, Level: 15

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 03:33 AM

Pro-Choice. Brittany summed it up pretty well for me.

1/7/12 - Live Help Operator | 1/25/14 - HelpLINK Mentor | 6/8/14 - Depression and Suicide Forum Moderator | 6/8/14 - Addictive Behaviors Forum Moderator | 1/11/14 - Videos Team Member | 4/11/15 - Senior Live Help Operator

“I will be generous with my love today. I will sprinkle compliments and uplifting words everywhere I go. I will do this knowing that my words are like seeds and when they fall on fertile soil, a reflection of those seeds will grow into something greater.”

PM / VM

(#56 (permalink)) Old
JustACityBoy Offline
Telemachus
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Carl

Points: 9,720, Level: 14 Points: 9,720, Level: 14 Points: 9,720, Level: 14

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 04:16 AM

I am pro-choice. If you are going to be bringing in another person in the world, don't have a bundle of differentiated cells drag down your life. Not to mention your child will have poor living conditions as well.
Because neurons and brain are developed late, your "fetus/embryo" will have absolutely NO feeling, not a liquid gooey feeling, absolutely NOTHING. It's like killing sperm. It has potential to be human life, but you are technically causing no harm emotionally to the child.
I'm going to add this last, this probably shouldn't be a factor in consideration. Overpopulation.
  (#57 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion
I can't get enough

Name: Haru

Points: 30,098, Level: 25 Points: 30,098, Level: 25 Points: 30,098, Level: 25

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 04:30 AM

Quote:
No, I'm not pro-choice. I know it won't become illegal so I'm not going to going around saying it should be illegal. I still personally think it's messed up. I still think it's wrong. If I could make it illegal, I would. But I can't, and I can't make them make it illegal.

Also, not every child ends up in poverty. Not every child starves. You say it like every child will end up like that.
First, I say I'm pro-choice.

Second, you just completely contradicted yourself. In the post you made before this, you said you don't think it should be made illegal. Now, you say you would make it illegal if you could. Make up your mind.

Finally, third. I am strongly against pro-life. No, I do not like abortions. I would never get one unless I absolutely had no other choice, and even then I would cry my eyes out because I would be losing my child. I would be so scarred. I do not like abortion at all. However, I'm not going to say crazy things like it should be illegal; it can't be made illegal. People will be taking coat hangers and trying to perform home abortions and they'll seriously injure or even kill themselves. All because a bunch of pro-life people don't want a fetus that isn't even potentially a living thing yet to die. I honestly don't know whether or not I believe life begins at conception. All I know is, if I was pregnant, from the moment I found out I would love that little fetus inside me. And I would never get rid of it unless I had no choice.

Think about, put yourself in someone else's shoes for a minute. If you were pregnant, and being pregnant was endangering your life, if you were going to die if you carried that baby to term, would you abort it, or wouldn't you?

I love my Big Sleepy Bear.
I still fill my panties; do YOU?
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde
Buddy since 12/25/11 Self Expressions mod since 4/23/12 Helplink mentor since 5/9/12 . . . . . .Skittlify.
I was blessed by your companionship from 12/24/01-6/27/13
  (#58 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 04:41 AM

I am pro-choice.
Even though I do value life and would never myself have an abortion, I do respect that other people have their own opinions, views and beliefs and will do what they want no matter what I think or say.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
  (#59 (permalink)) Old
dani99 Offline
Ms.Average
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 04:49 AM

I said unless it was a life threatening situation, I strongly believe against it. But, if it was just because you couldn't take responsibility - then I think it's wrong. Also, Carl, have you ever seen "The Silent scream"? It's of a fetus at 12 weeks being aborted and it struggles and moves around violently to try to escape the tools being used, and the fetus' heartbeat gradually speeds up. It can feel fear.

(#60 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion
I can't get enough

Name: Haru

Points: 30,098, Level: 25 Points: 30,098, Level: 25 Points: 30,098, Level: 25

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 04:54 AM

Quote:
I said unless it was a life threatening situation, I strongly believe against it. But, if it was just because you couldn't take responsibility - then I think it's wrong. Also, Carl, have you ever seen "The Silent scream"? It's of a fetus at 12 weeks being aborted and it struggles and moves around violently to try to escape the tools being used, and the fetus' heartbeat gradually speeds up. It can feel fear.
That is pro-choice. You don't like abortion, but under certain circumstances it's okay. You're saying right now that there are exceptions, and a pro-life person wouldn't agree with that.

I love my Big Sleepy Bear.
I still fill my panties; do YOU?
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde
Buddy since 12/25/11 Self Expressions mod since 4/23/12 Helplink mentor since 5/9/12 . . . . . .Skittlify.
I was blessed by your companionship from 12/24/01-6/27/13
  (#61 (permalink)) Old
Henry Tyrell Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Also, Carl, have you ever seen "The Silent scream"? It's of a fetus at 12 weeks being aborted and it struggles and moves around violently to try to escape the tools being used, and the fetus' heartbeat gradually speeds up. It can feel fear.

Maybe you should research the piece of old pro-life propaganda you use before you actually use it...
Quote:
Richard Berkowitz, professor of obstetrics and gynecology at Mount Sinai Medical Center, described the Silent Scream as "factually misleading and unfair". John Hobbins of the Yale School of Medicine called the film's use of special effects deceptive, a form of "technical flimflam." He pointed out that the film of the ultrasound is initially run at slow speed, but that it is sped up when surgical instruments are introduced to give the impression that "the fetus is thrashing about in alarm."

Fetal development experts argued that, contrary to Nathanson's assertion in the film, a fetus cannot perceive danger or make purposeful movements. David Bodian, a neurobiologist at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, stated that doctors had no evidence that a twelve-week-old fetus could feel pain, but noted the possibility of a reflex movement by a fetus in response to external stimuli such as surgical instruments. The size of the ultrasound image and of the fetus model used was also misleading, appearing to show a fetus the size of a full-term baby, while in actuality a twelve-week-old fetus is under two inches long
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#62 (permalink)) Old
dani99 Offline
Ms.Average
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 05:02 AM

No, I'm pro-life. I only have that one little exception because there is no point in a woman having a baby if she'll die in the end.

Now, although the video may have been wrong - I'm sure the fetus could sense SOME kind of disturbance. It might have have been a fetus further a long, but nonetheless, I still stand my ground when I say abortion is wrong. I don't care if you don't want a baby or if you were raped. A child should have every right to live.

The only reason why I don't think it should be illegal is the fact that people would do the back ally coat hanger deal and that is the ONLY reason why it shouldn't be illegal. But if we were just talking about the procedure alone with no coat hangers - yes, it's a sick thing that shouldn't be done. It shouldn't be legal.

Last edited by dani99; April 8th 2012 at 05:08 AM.
  (#63 (permalink)) Old
Henry Tyrell Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 05:08 AM

Quote:
No, I'm pro-life. I only have that one little exception because there is no point in a woman having a baby if she'll die in the end.

Now, although the video may have been wrong - I'm sure the fetus could sense SOME kind of disturbance. It might have have been a fetus further a long, but nonetheless, I still stand my ground when I say abortion is wrong. I don't care if you don't want a baby or if you were raped. A child should have every right to live.
Wait, wait, you don't care about whether the woman was raped or has an unwanted pregnancy? "Have the baby anyway, you callous harlot?"

What happened to the right to body autonomy?
  (#64 (permalink)) Old
dani99 Offline
Ms.Average
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 05:12 AM

I mean, I would care if she was raped and that's terrible. But, the fetus shouldn't have to die because of it. It didn't do anything wrong. The mother should give it a chance at life instead of just throwing it out like it's a piece of trash just because the father is a piece of trash.

I don't know. If I were raped and got pregnant, abortion wouldn't half way cross my mind. Adoption probably wouldn't even cross my mind. I think life is precious, and potential life deserves the right to have that chance to live. I wouldn't call the woman a callous harlot, because that's a rather bold and untrue term to use. But, I would think that the mother should give her child a chance at living.

Last edited by dani99; April 8th 2012 at 05:35 AM.
  (#65 (permalink)) Old
Henry Tyrell Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 05:21 AM

Quote:
I mean, I would care if she was raped and that's terrible. But, the fetus shouldn't have to die because of it. It didn't do anything wrong. The mother should give it a chance at life instead of just throwing it out like it's a piece of trash just because the father is a piece of trash.

I don't know. If I were raped, abortion wouldn't half way cross my mind. Adoption probably wouldn't even cross my mind. I think life is precious, and potential life deserves the right to have that chance to live. I wouldn't call the woman a callous harlot, because that's a rather bold and untrue term to use. But, I would think that the mother should give her child a chance at living.
I used those words to avoid using the b-word.

However, my point was that you stated that you don't care what the woman's circumstances are nor her feelings toward her pregnancy- in your mind, she should/must/is required to carry out the pregnancy and all it comes with: eating the correct diet, doctor's visits, and of course hospital bills for the actual birth.

Even if she doesn't want to. Because of course, if she did dangerous things to the baby while pregnant (excessive drinking for example) she'd be just as guilty for killing her "baby" as she would have been had she aborted it, right? Or does that not count?
  (#66 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 05:28 AM

If you have not been sexually assaulted, I think you are irresponsible to make the decision for women who have been. That is not yours or the government's decision to make.

something burning?
  (#67 (permalink)) Old
dani99 Offline
Ms.Average
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 05:32 AM

If she did all of that knowing she was pregnant, technically she would be the one to blame for any damage done to the fetus/baby. If she had no idea she was pregnant, then she just didn't know and she can't be blamed.

And I still stand where I believe she should give her child a chance at life. I don't see who would have the guts to actually go through with it. I'd rather die than abort my baby. I can't see how every woman doesn't feel the same. A mother's love for a child should be enough to not want an abortion.

Not to mention abortions can be risky and it is said that there is a higher risk of breast cancer in women who get abortions. Notice how I said "it is said", because I don't fully know how the two are linked, but I'm going on based on what I've heard and read on abortions.

I have been sexually assaulted, thank you. I wasn't pregnant by it, but if I had been I most definitely would have not aborted my child.

(#68 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 37,460, Level: 27 Points: 37,460, Level: 27 Points: 37,460, Level: 27

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 05:38 AM

Quote:

I don't know. If I were raped, abortion wouldn't half way cross my mind. Adoption probably wouldn't even cross my mind. I think life is precious, and potential life deserves the right to have that chance to live. I wouldn't call the woman a callous harlot, because that's a rather bold and untrue term to use. But, I would think that the mother should give her child a chance at living.
I have to say that I take complete and utter offensive to this. I was sexually abused and I ended up getting pregnant and I did think about abortion. If I were to give birth to a baby who was from a rapist, I know that I wouldn't be able to cope. I wouldn't be able to give that baby a normal life because I would think about what happened to me every single day. Not only that, but it would just not be a good situation to be in. So please, think before you talk. You can hurt a lot of people like that and I hope you realize that now.
  (#69 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Well, I don't have a good life right now. Does that mean it would have been better if I were aborted? No, I'm glad I wasn't. No, I don't kill animals. I'm against killing animals. I can't even step on a bug! Life is precious no matter what.
Do you find nothing wrong with killing and eating plants? After all, you did say all life is precious no matter what. If you don't eat plants, then what do you eat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani99
I don't care if you don't want a baby or if you were raped. A child should have every right to live.
You're changing your opinions on the fly because earlier you made it clear that you are more supportive of the woman if she was raped. Additionally, you stated abortion is wrong only if it is life threatening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani99
Now, although the video may have been wrong - I'm sure the fetus could sense SOME kind of disturbance.
In a research paper published in 2008, Dr. Stuart W.G. Derbyshire examined this very issue. From his paper, "[w]e may be confident the fetus does not experience pain because unique in utero neuroinhibitors and a lack of psychological development maintain unconsciousness and prevent conscious pain experience ... More importantly the developmental processes necessary for experience [of pain] are not yet developed in the fetus at any gestation before birth ... Any future legislation to mitigate fetal pain could expose women to inappropriate intervention, risk and distress".

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
  (#70 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 05:39 AM

There's a higher risk of dying from pregnancy than abortion, and the breast cancer thing has never been proven. And you've never been raped. You do not know the trauma these people have to go for, so do not pretend to understand this. I do not understand what it's like to be a mom, so I would never try. But you have also not had your control taken from you in this manner. These women are not at blame for what has happened to them, they had no control of what happened to their body, they have the right to not have to watch their bellies grow with the hatred put inside of them.

something burning?
  (#71 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Points: 22,144, Level: 21 Points: 22,144, Level: 21 Points: 22,144, Level: 21

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 05:40 AM

I'm pro abortion, we have enough people in the world already. I'd suggest implementing a mandatory limit on the number of children one person can have, or "cutting the tubes" on men and women unfit to be parents or reproduce, to increase the overall genetic stock of the human population.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)
  (#72 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
I'm pro abortion, we have enough people in the world already. I'd suggest implementing a mandatory limit on the number of children one person can have, or "cutting the tubes" on men and women unfit to be parents or reproduce, to increase the overall genetic stock of the human population.
What is your criteria for individuals unfit to be parents?

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
  (#73 (permalink)) Old
dani99 Offline
Ms.Average
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 05:47 AM

Did you not just read above that I was sexually assaulted? I do know what it's like, and I do know the trauma. And I wasn't trying to be of any offense. I was just simply stating that I know if I were to have gotten pregnant after being raped, I wouldn't have been able to get an abortion. I'm not saying that people who get abortions are terrible people, I just don't think it's a right choice. I don't believe abortion is a way to go. I don't think it's right and I know I wouldn't do it. But, Brittany, I'm sorry if what I said offended you. I wasn't going after you or any person in general. I was simply stating that I wouldn't be able to get an abortion. I would't let it even cross my mind.

(#74 (permalink)) Old
Henry Tyrell Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Not to mention abortions can be risky and it is said that there is a higher risk of breast cancer in women who get abortions. Notice how I said "it is said", because I don't fully know how the two are linked, but I'm going on based on what I've heard and read on abortions..
Well,
Quote:
The pregnancy-associated mortality rate among women who delivered live neonates was 8.8 deaths per 100,000 live births. The mortality rate related to induced abortion was 0.6 deaths per 100,000 abortions.
-- Raymond EG, Grimes DA.

In case you don't understand, that means having a legal abortion (as opposed to back alley ones) is WAY safer than having a child.

As to whether abortion increases the chance of getting breast cancer,
Quote:
The abortion–breast cancer hypothesis has been the subject of extensive scientific inquiry, and the scientific community has concluded that abortion does not cause breast cancer. This consensus is supported by major medical bodies,including the World Health Organization, the U.S. National Cancer Institute, the American Cancer Society, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, and the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists.
In other words, at this point the consensus among the scientific community (you know, the RESEARCHERS) is that abortion does not cause breast cancer.
  (#75 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Points: 18,257, Level: 19 Points: 18,257, Level: 19 Points: 18,257, Level: 19

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 05:48 AM

Quote:
If she did all of that knowing she was pregnant, technically she would be the one to blame for any damage done to the fetus/baby. If she had no idea she was pregnant, then she just didn't know and she can't be blamed.

And I still stand where I believe she should give her child a chance at life. I don't see who would have the guts to actually go through with it. I'd rather die than abort my baby. I can't see how every woman doesn't feel the same. A mother's love for a child should be enough to not want an abortion.

Not to mention abortions can be risky and it is said that there is a higher risk of breast cancer in women who get abortions. Notice how I said "it is said", because I don't fully know how the two are linked, but I'm going on based on what I've heard and read on abortions.

I have been sexually assaulted, thank you. I wasn't pregnant by it, but if I had been I most definitely would have not aborted my child.
Danielle, have you ever been pregnant? Or more importantly, have you ever had an unwanted pregnancy? Because unless you have, I do not see how you can 100% know how you would feel. Who are you to say that a mother's love should be enough when you have never been in that situation? There are plenty of young women on this site alone who have gone through with abortions after being raped, being left by their boyfriends, for fear of being disowned by their families, and a million other reasons. How can you say that you won't bash people for their opinions and then make such ignorant, guilt-tripping statements?

You do not know how you would feel if you were pregnant. I hate to break it to you, but many women do not feel an automatic connection to their child. If you were pregnant, you may not automatically love your child.

I also have to ask: are you vegan? You keep going on about how life is precious, but are you just talking about human life?

And also, what is your opinion on miscarriages? Do you think we should start blaming women for killing their children if they miscarry? Where do we draw the line? There are heaps of contradicting guidelines for what you can/can't do while pregnant. If a woman eats something that may be bad for pregnancies, do you think that make her an immoral person?

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.
  (#76 (permalink)) Old
Zyzz Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 20,175, Level: 20 Points: 20,175, Level: 20 Points: 20,175, Level: 20

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 05:51 AM

To say your pro-life means you believe all life is worth saving. with that fact if you support the death penalty then you are no longer pro-life. but we are all really pro-choice and pro life. its for or against abortion your group is about. But I will agree with Guile on this. that is all.
  (#77 (permalink)) Old
dani99 Offline
Ms.Average
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 05:56 AM

I've had one for sure, and I think I might have been pregnant before then but I never got to really find out. I know what a mother's love is, because I've felt it. I know what it's like to have an unwanted pregnancy. When I first found out I was pregnant, I didn't know how I was going to raise a baby at 16 - but I was going to do it anyways. Sadly, I lost my baby so I'm not going to end up raising him or her either way, thank you.

Miscarriages are not a women's fault unless they do things like drink or ride roller coasters KNOWING they are pregnant. But, if it's a natural think a body does, like how my body miscarried my baby, then it's nothing you can help. You CAN help getting an abortion. You can stop yourself from having one, where you can't stop yourself from having a miscarriage all of the time.

(#78 (permalink)) Old
Henry Tyrell Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 05:57 AM

Danielle, I'd appreciate a response to the evidence I gave regarding the danger of abortion and breast cancer. Thanks!
  (#79 (permalink)) Old
dani99 Offline
Ms.Average
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 06:01 AM

Sorry, I didn't read that. There are a lot of posts popping up at once for me to respond to. And, to answer that, that's why I said "it is said". I mentioned that already, because I thought it was worth bringing up.

(#80 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 37,460, Level: 27 Points: 37,460, Level: 27 Points: 37,460, Level: 27

Re: Abortion? - April 8th 2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:
But, Brittany, I'm sorry if what I said offended you. I wasn't going after you or any person in general. I was simply stating that I wouldn't be able to get an abortion. I would't let it even cross my mind.
Okay, again. I understand where you are coming from. However, I do not believe that rape victims should be forced to give birth to a child just because the child "deserves life". It can bring a lot of emotional problems Life IS precious; but only if it stays precious. If a child grows up in an abusive home because the parent is so traumatized by the rape, then how is that life precious? Obviously, this is just one example. There are plenty of more scenarios that I could add; but I'd prefer not to. I'm going to end this with: Just because you don't believe in abortion in rape cases, doesn't mean you should tell us to all to do the same thing. It's offensive and you should think before you attack things like that.
Closed Thread