TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
vrgtfvgt4vg Offline
Junior TeenHelper

For whom it applies:Why are you no longer Christian? - May 11th 2012, 07:16 PM

Sup. I've been a non-christian for about nine months. I started learning more about Christianity and it stopped making sense to me, so I moved on.

At first I went on a few Jewish sites and looked up stuff about Jesus. I didn't immediately go, "Christianity isn't right, it was more like, "Hey, that's kind of weird." I started exploring other denominations for a while, but the more I learned about Christian history, the bible, and messianic prophecies the less I came to believe in it. Now I'm more of an agnostic.

Why did you stop believing?
How old were you when you stopped believing?
Have you told your parents or your friends?
Are you still involved in Church activities, youth groups, etc?
What do you like and dislike about Christianity?
Do you think there is any way you would ever believe again?
What's your current religion?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: For whom it applies:Why are you no longer Christian? - May 11th 2012, 08:04 PM

Lack of evidence.

Yup. :]

Not actively, but I occasionally help out with things.

I dislike the lack of proof. I like that Christianity gives a lot of people hope.

I highly doubt it. I couldn't be tied down by one religion.

Eh. I partially believe that there is a God of some sort, but not enough to call myself religious.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: For whom it applies:Why are you no longer Christian? - May 11th 2012, 08:57 PM

Lack of evidence.

My friends know, my parents don't.

Since my parents don't know, I still go to church from time to time.

I dislike a fair bit about Christianity. What appears to be liberating to others isn't to me. I don't like the concept of original sin. Original blessing would have been better.

I like the morals it seems to give people as some feel that they'd feel the need to do bad without it lol

I don't think I can believe in a theistic god again. But I'll stay open to it.

I'm without religion now. That's it.

Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Mia.J Offline
Turtle
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Mia J Cara

Re: For whom it applies:Why are you no longer Christian? - May 12th 2012, 04:56 AM

Lack of evidence, didn't make sense, few other things.

Can't remember, 12 or 13, I think.

I told my mum and my sister, but most of my friends just know I'm atheist.

Nope, never was, really.

I like that it can give faith, and people something to believe in. I don't like the morals, and contradictions, and I think the bible is bullshit.

Nope.

I'm atheist, at the moment, but I've been thinking of going Buddhist.

Mia Jayde x

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: For whom it applies:Why are you no longer Christian? - May 12th 2012, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up In The Clouds View Post
I didn't stop believing in God; I just stopped believing in Christianity. When I look at Christians, they vary in beliefs. There's too much interpretation in the Bible that I don't know what is right and what is wrong. The more I knew, the less Christianity made sense. If I am to follow something for the rest of my life, I'd expect things to be a bit more clearer. Since not everything makes sense, I don't think a just God would punish people for following something FOR God. I believe that premarital sex is perfectly fine, and I'm not engaging in premarital sex to go against God...I'm engaging in pre-marital sex because God designed me to procreate. Since I ventured off into indepedence, I didn't consider myself a Christian so I'm now more of an Agnostic Theist -- I believe in God, but I believe there's no way of knowing whether God exists or not.

Quote:
I can't pin point, but I'd say within a couple years.

Quote:
I've told my sister and her boyfriend, but I don't really tell my grandparents or any other religious person in my family because there's never an appropriate time to tell it. Religion never comes up in discussion, so I don't feel the need to just blurt it out. It doesn't really matter.

Quote:
Hell no. I never was. I go to church every Christmas Eve, however.

Quote:
I don't like or dislike Christianity. I treat all religions as the same...they are all relevant to each individual, and I don't have enough power to judge. In this case, I hate the player and not the game. Christianity is fine, but Christians who use their Christian powers to corrupt is not right. Christianity is neutral to me, and same for Christians as long as they're capable of taking a Philosophy class and understanding difference between a belief and fact.

Quote:
If God came to Earth and was able to perform some kind of magic or an indication that He is, indeed, supernatural, and he told everyone that Christianity is the right religion, then I would believe him. Would I go to Heaven if I started believing in it? That's debatable. A true believer is someone who has faith in something that cannot be proven, and me believing in something that was proven is not a test of my faith. But in order for me to believe in Christianity, I need some cold hard evidence. The Bible isn't considered evidence to me.

Quote:
Agnostic Theist, and I plan to stay that way for a while.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: For whom it applies:Why are you no longer Christian? - May 12th 2012, 05:53 AM

Quote:
I stopped believing for several reasons. First, everything is focused on preserving one's afterlife and looking forward to one's death, almost glorifying it. This view eliminates present life as being precious and although it tries to embrace life, it's always shooting itself in the foot by favouring death. Second, any successes in one's own life often are not attributed to oneself but instead to god. That's fine if it makes people happy but it also implies people are worthless, cant do a single thing and are always going to fail without a doubt.

Third, I found that the more I read the bible, the more contradictions I found and the more unexplained reasoning. This wasn't simply comparing passages, it was more of applying god's supposed characteristics to the bible and seeing either they were false or there was a contradiction in the text. Fourth, I would like to know the rationale behind things in as much detail as possible. The bible boils down to god being the self-appointed judge, jury and executioner, without any rationale and furthermore, without any bounds. Last, both testaments of the bible were written in a completely different culture with different norms, so it cannot be fully applied to modern-day culture without breaking any legal laws.

Quote:
I was never a very strong believer in the first place but I "officially" stopped believing in my early teen years. I often questioned it and would re-examine it to see if I missed something but never could believe.

Quote:
My parents aren't very devout Christians to begin with, so I told them early on. My friends have mixed religious beliefs, although I've told each of them my beliefs and they've shared theirs.

Quote:
No, I attend church at most 1-2 times per year because that's the only time when my parents attend. I also attend church when there's a marriage, funeral and baptism, not because I believe, rather I view it as a social event where I get to talk to family members I haven't seen before or who live somewhere in Europe.

Quote:
I dislike the death-oriented view, inability to receive clear answers and the hatred it continuously preaches. I like the fact it can give some people comfort.

Quote:
If all of my reasons for why I stopped believing and dislike were negated, then I would believe but that's not going to be happening in the near future.

Quote:
From a curiosity standpoint, I learned about Theistic Satanism without ever subscribing to the theistic beliefs because then and even now, I fused my own combination of atheism, anti-theism and theological non-cognitivism (specifically through unthinkable propositions).

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Jack Lowden Offline
Afternoon.
Outside, huh?

Re: For whom it applies:Why are you no longer Christian? - May 12th 2012, 05:55 AM

I haven't really stopped, my views have just changed a bit.

I guess 18.

My parents know my views are mixed, however neither of them are Christians either so they don't care.

No.

What do you like & dislike about Christianity?
I agree with the majority of their beliefs, but I was raised agnostic, so I've always been iffy about a few things. I don't like how hypocritical they are or how they think they're above other people.

Again, my views are just mixed. I'm not sure if I'm even a Christian anymore, but that's what I've been going by since that's closest to what I believe. However, I don't think the views I'm mixed on are ever going to change. There are some things I'm just going to flatout disagree with.

I don't even know anymore. I don't attend church. I guess, agnostic.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Grapefruitlife Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: For whom it applies:Why are you no longer Christian? - May 12th 2012, 11:16 AM

I'm not sure I ever really did. I always had been christian for the stories and the songs much rather than for actually believing. The world view of my former church was a very gentle one, relying on community, stories and very much the "love thy neighbour"-bit of things. I found that so much more comforting, safe and compatible with the way my brain works (even before I had ever heard of Lyotard's Grand Narratives I was convinced of the fact that the world is structured by stories) than what I learned about science and How The World Works (of course making them no less true - just less attractive).
In the end it just came down to me noticing how narrow the world view I'd once found so comforting actually is, that "love thy neighbour" apparently doesn't include everybody, that my opinions and the ones of the church didn't go together very well, that I think morals are one of the worst things ever happening to people and that I've absolutely no intention of leading my life to any standards I didn't set by my own personal or social self.

Hard to say. I don't think I ever did. I was rather involved in the culture, not so much in the belief system... I'd say at about 12 -15 years of age.

People are much more surprised when they learn that I'd been christian than they are about the fact that I'm not.

No.

I like the stories and the songs. I don't like the shaming, the role of women and the hypocrisy. I really don't like their politics.

Only in a better world.

I still believe in the power of stories. Of all kinds.

Last edited by Grapefruitlife; May 12th 2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: improved layout.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: For whom it applies:Why are you no longer Christian? - May 12th 2012, 12:49 PM

Why did you stop believing?:
It's hard to stop believing in something that you struggled to believe in the first place.

How old were you when you stopped believing?:
I struggled with believing for YEARS. I more or less gave up after my huge attempt at becoming the perfect Christian- 17

Have you told your friends/family:
Oh trust me, they know.

Are you still involved in church?:
No. It's not really god I don't believe in, it's any sort of organized religion. It's tacky, dull, fake, etc. I get weird vibes from it. That said; no, I'm not involved in church.

Do you think you'll ever believe again?:
In god: Yes.
In religion: No.

"religion and I broke up"

But if I had to choose, (and can't make up my own) agnostic.

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
blumemusik♫ Offline
~Savvy?
I've been here a while

Name: Kate

Re: For whom it applies:Why are you no longer Christian? - May 12th 2012, 02:41 PM

Not enough evidence I suppose. The usual - I didn't see how a truly forgiving God or whatever would allow the amount of suffering which is currently in the world. Also, my growing interest in science kind of ruled out a God.

I don't know. I was brought up to be Christian, but I definitely questioned it by the age of 10, and haven't been Christian since I was about 12/13 I think.

Yeah, I'm very open about it. My parents and friends know. The only people that don't know are my grandparents who are devout Christians. I don't lie to them, the topic just hasn't ever come up. They presume I am Christian.

I go to church with my family twice a year - once for the Christingle service, once on Christmas Eve. But I don't join in with the hymns or anything.

I don't know if this is a question that can be answered. I don't dislike Christianity - people are entitled to their opinion. I just don't believe it myself.

Nope.

I'm atheist.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
vrgtfvgt4vg Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: For whom it applies:Why are you no longer Christian? - May 12th 2012, 05:34 PM

Maybe I should have done this in my opening thread, but I'll answer the questions now.

I told some of my friends. I don't just walk around blurting it out, but I tell people when they ask me or when religion comes up. I told like four boys because they asked me or religion came up and they told me they were atheists or agnostics too! When I told my best friends who were girls they reacted a little less favorably. They said stuff like:

"Why don't you believe in God? That's so stupid"
"You should believe in Jesus. It's really bad not too."
"Are you being serious?"

I get the feeling they think I don't understand Christianity, ever truly believed, think it's a phase, etc. I know a lot more about Christianity now then when I was Christian.

I joke a lot maybe that's why they don't take me seriously. I'll tell my parents in the next 60 years or so.

I never was.

I like the teachings of Jesus and Christianity's influence on the arts in the past. I dislike the emphasize on beliefs over actions, trivializing life with an eternal afterlife, some Christians who only pay lip service and some people who seem to believe just because.

No.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
oldaccount Offline
I can't get enough

Re: For whom it applies:Why are you no longer Christian? - May 12th 2012, 06:06 PM

I don't believe that a loving God would allow abuse to happen to a 7-year-old.
Yes.
Not anymore.
I don't like anything. I hated it. I disliked everything.
Hell no.
Atheism.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: For whom it applies:Why are you no longer Christian? - May 14th 2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I don't really remember. I mean, there are a ton of things I find inconsistent about Christianity that I could point to, but what it really comes down to is that it just stopped seeming real to me. I don't remember what first caused it, but the doubt grew until I just didn't believe.

Quote:
I don't remember this either. Sometime in high-school I think.

Quote:
My parents and all of my friends know. I hid it at first because I was worried people wouldn't accept me for it or I'd be discriminated against (especially since the area where I live is very religious and conservative in general), but I really haven't had that problem. I don't make a big deal of it to people I don't know and the people I do know have been generally accepting of me. I think it bothers my mom a lot, but she hasn't been too bad about it.

Quote:
Nope, never really was.

Quote:
I like, I suppose, that it gives people something to believe in and some sort of hope and whatnot (even though I personally believe it is false hope). I also appreciate the charitable work a lot of churches do.

I do not like:
- how people are basically indoctrinated by religion from the time they are born. Even people who are not religious. Legislating that schools have to teach about creationism and abstinence only sex ed? No.
- how people are made to feel guilty for enjoying their lives and threatened with damnation if they do. It's archaic and silly some of things that Christianity says are wrong are, to be blunt, downright stupid.
- I HATE how so many Christians seem to think that they can legislate what everyone does. If you want to punish yourself by not looking at porn or having pre-marital sex or whatever it is that you don't like, be my guest, but don't even think about taking away my right to do so. And, on a related note, I hate that issues like a woman's choice to have an abortion or a gay couple's choice to get married are even political issues at all. It is mostly religion's fault and it makes me want to beat something small and cute and cuddly because these are silly, trivial issues that shouldn't even be debated. There are so many bigger things to deal with and all of our time is spent with these issues that shouldn't even be issues.

Quote:
Honestly, I don't see even the slightest chance. Even if God himself came to me and said "Yo Cody, believe in me brah" I'd assume it was a hallucination.

Quote:
If it wasn't already clear, I am an atheist.

~Cody

Normal User

(#14 (permalink)) Old
alixthetree Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: alix

Re: For whom it applies:Why are you no longer Christian? - May 14th 2012, 03:22 PM

I think I quit believing because I have way to many questions that I haven't found answers to. to many controversial items that people throughout the religion can't seem to agree on.
I think I was like 16-17 when I actually realized that I didn't care and wasn't invested in youth group but it was probably more like 13-14 when I stopped caring but still pretended to because I thought it made me a better person.
Well neither of my parents would much care as they aren't really devout Christians themselves, but I haven't told either of my grandma's who are the ones that really believe.
Nope. I still talk to many people that I knew from youth group and they occasionally ask me if I'm still involved but Nope.
I like that I was taught that 'Jesus Christ makes us the way we are'. It helped me accept myself more. I dislike the numerous ways how scriptures can be interpreted and when someone has interpreted it a certain way, they feel like there is no room for error.
Most likely not. I believe it would take a miracle, something that can't be explained as anything other than Jesus Christ.
I consider myself agnostic. I know I believe in there being a higher power just not sure what.

Accept and Never
Forget Only
Life Dies.

No matter the amount of negativity you're presented with...
5 minutes from now could be your best moment.
-Mod Sun

Send a message via AIM to alixthetree Send a message via MSN to alixthetree Send a message via Skype™ to alixthetree 
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: For whom it applies:Why are you no longer Christian? - May 14th 2012, 08:49 PM

I stopped believing because when I started paying attention, I realised how awful some of the bible is. "THOU SHALT NOT KILL" "Hi, I'm God. I'm gonna flood the world now because there are bad people in it."
I also dislike how judgemental everything is.

I was about 14/15

My friends know, my parents know I don't agree with religion (I think) but seem content enough that I'm going to church each week, even if just to keep them happy.

Definitely. I help mum out with brainwashing kids. (I'm joking, for the record!) and I work behind the bar in the church's function hall 2 minutes from my house. I also do Brownies and that's a CoE thing, or our unit is, but I don't attend any of the masses or anything.

I like that it comforts people to think that no matter what, someone is looking out for them and loves them. I dislike a lot of things. Mainly the judgement, and the whole lack of proof thing. (I know, I know. You need to have faith.)

At the moment it's unlikely, but I might do in the future, who knows.

I'm not sure what I am at the moment, but I see no need to define myself.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper

Re: For whom it applies:Why are you no longer Christian? - May 15th 2012, 06:06 AM

I thought for myself. Some things didn't seem right. I would say the spark that got it going thing was the concept of Heaven and Hell. "Bad" people spent an ETERNITY in pain and suffering, while good people spent the same amount of time in paradise. This made absolutely no sense to me. Why send people through so much pain because they may have been misguided? From there, I just thought more and more. It was more the details of the religious concepts and stories that bothered me.

Hard to say. It was a gradual switch for me. Probably sometime during college.

My dad doesn't care, and he is actually the one who forced me to be critical of Christianity. My mom is Christian and knows I'm Atheist, but she still supports and loves me. Our relationship hasn't changed. I lost one friend when I told him my beliefs. He can go fuck himself. Beyond that, I don't parade my beliefs around. I'm naturally a private person and it'll take some pestering to get it out of me.

Never was.

I like how it can give people comfort when it's needed, even if it's misguided. I dislike almost everything else about it.

No.

But I don't claim to have every answer either. I'm only 22 years old, and I got a whole life to live yet. I'm not going to sit here and pretend like I know everything there is to know about this kind of stuff. My views have changed a lot over the past years, and they may change again later.

None. I'm Atheist. For now.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
RadkeLover Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Tyler

Re: For whom it applies:Why are you no longer Christian? - May 21st 2012, 12:25 PM

I opened my eyes to all the BS...they started preaching about how being gay is a sin.
I started being agnostic at 12 and become an athiest at 13
yes, my dad freaked, my friends didnt care
no, they hate me.
I dislike it because it is full of hypocrisy. "Love everyone....EXCEPT GAYS, THEY ARE GOING TO HELL AND SO ARE NON BELIEVERS!"
No, no way possible.
I am currently a Satanic Pagan, I believe, pray, do rituals for and to mainly Greek Gods and Goddesses, but I also follow the rules of LeVey Satanism.

What is love? I lost the meaning long ago.
  Send a message via AIM to RadkeLover Send a message via MSN to RadkeLover Send a message via Skype™ to RadkeLover 
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: For whom it applies:Why are you no longer Christian? - May 21st 2012, 01:23 PM

I didn't stop believing in God. I stopped believeing in religion. But because it didn't make sense to me.

I was around sixteen.

My parents/ family think I'm still reading the Bible and stuff. They know I've stopped going to Church.

I was involved in youth groups up until I turned eighteen.

Like- the hope it brings a lot of people.
Dislike- the nonsense and the hatred that arises with certain issues.

Not in religion, no.

None. If it needed a label, Agnostic.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

Re: For whom it applies:Why are you no longer Christian? - May 21st 2012, 04:02 PM

Learning more and more about the Bible and how off it is.

About 14 or 15.

Yup. My family aren't christian either for the same reasons.

Not really.

The Bible and those who teach the Bible. I liked the goal of it mainly meaning "be kind to one another".

not sure, if it "changed" maybe.

no religion.

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: For whom it applies:Why are you no longer Christian? - May 26th 2012, 10:33 PM

*This doesn't apply to me as much as other people because I grew up Atheist, but to an extent, it does because I did grow up in a pretty Christian town.

I never started believing exactly, but I probably came to the complete conclusion there was no God at about eight.

Parents know, as they are Atheists, and my close friends know. On my Facebook, I'm listed as an Atheist to certain people. To most people, my religion is not listed. That's a good way to explain it.

I've never really been. I go to like, marriages that are Christian. But not like, youth groups or anything.

Dislike: It's hypocritical, it's negative to so many people, and it drives so many people apart. Right now, my family is going through a really big change because of one of my aunts being very Christian, but the others not, and she's just driving everybody away with her judgment. I can't even talk to my granny because of my atheist views, she's anti-choice, anti-gay marriage, and it's just awkward. I just feel so much of it is judgmental crap.

Like: Some of the morals. Honestly, I feel Christians these days are not very Christ-like.

The problem is the "again" word. But will I ever believe? Probably not.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Akeas Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: For whom it applies:Why are you no longer Christian? - May 29th 2012, 09:08 PM

I thought it was all lies
5(yes i believed it was bs from the start)
yeah, they know
nope, when i was in ccd i told the teacher straight up that i did not believe in only one god
i like the raw books of piece and love. i dislike now it is almost a capitalist empire, and the books are not the actual books, just crudely editited
in christianity, no
idk

Closed Thread