TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lala47 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Christian advice preferred-Purity Rings - May 11th 2012, 10:32 PM

Hi. So my birthday is in a couple of months and for a while now I have planned on making an official promise to God to stay pure until the right guy comes along and we get married.

Recently, for some unknown reason I've been getting really nervous about actually doing it and wearing it and making the official promise. Now I'm a little unsure on whether or not I should wear it. I mean, I guess God already knows that I want to stay pure. But nontheless I have been having second thoughts about it.

What are your views on purity rings? Thanks for reading- it means a lot

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Christian advice preferred-Purity Rings - May 11th 2012, 10:38 PM

I haven't seen any Christian wear them ever.

So they're rather unnecessary. You don't need a ring to stop you from having sex before marriage.

Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
lala47 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Christian advice preferred-Purity Rings - May 11th 2012, 10:52 PM

Good point thanks It's just that my parents kind of expect me to do it and I'm not entirely comfortable with wearing a ring to represent my purity. But I think they will respect my decision hopefully.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DinestyX Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Destiny

Re: Christian advice preferred-Purity Rings - May 12th 2012, 12:37 AM

I attend a Christian academy and it's kind of a tradition for upper classmen to get purity rings after the school makes them go through this big abstinence talk.
As for my view's I would say, if you really don't want to have sex until marriage, or even just think it, then get the ring. In the end, if you change your mind then you can always talk it off. Yet until then it can be a nice reminder to yourself when you get into a serious relationship.

As for being nervous. I suppose that could come from worrying about the commitment or what other people will think, since a lot of people see it as 'an old fashion kind of thing.'

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Christian advice preferred-Purity Rings - May 12th 2012, 01:53 AM

Personally, I don't think you need the ring. It's more of a symbol of the promise that you made to God. It makes others aware of your choice, if they know what the ring is. But, the ring doesn't seal the promise. If you're not entirely sure that you want a purity ring, don't buy one yet. Wait it out and see if your mind changes. Not having one isn't an issue, though.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Christian advice preferred-Purity Rings - May 12th 2012, 12:49 PM

(I'm not Christian, but I do have background in that religion, hence why I'm answering.)
If you're having doubts about it, then why not take some time to consider? As the others have said, the ring is just a symbol of the promise, so it's not really necessary; you can still wait without having the ring. To help you sort out your feelings, and whether or not you want to get one and make that promise, talk to people - your parents, priest or equivalent, even praying. Good luck with whatever you decide.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: Christian advice preferred-Purity Rings - May 12th 2012, 02:51 PM

As long as you are staying pure, it doesn't matter whether you wear the ring or not. Pray about it and let God show you what He wants you to do, because He speaks to different people in different ways about purity rings. I wear one, and I do it to remind myself that I belong to God and I have to trust Him to choose the right guy to share me with at the right time. The ring will be replaced with my wedding ring when God chooses to give me to a husband. It reminds me not only of my promise to stay pure, but also God's promise to provide me with a husband when/if He knows I need one. It's really special to me to look at my ring and think of that.

I'd say if you the reason you don't want to wear one is because you are scared of explaining it to people, you should wear one just so you don't become afraid of explaining your faith. However, if you just don't feel like it's neccisary, don't wear one. The people in the bible who stayed pure didn't wear rings to show it, so we definitely don't have to.

Last edited by Megan1; May 12th 2012 at 02:56 PM.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Collies R Us Offline
Proverbs 30:5-6
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ally

Re: Christian advice preferred-Purity Rings - May 12th 2012, 10:26 PM

Well, since Christians aren't supposed to have sex until they are married, I think that whether you get the ring or not, you should still refrain from sex. Just because you don't have a ring doesn't mean you are allowed to have sex before marriage. You still can't have sex until you are married. It's in the Ten Commandments.

So that just leaves the question of whether or not you want to display that you are supposed to stay pure until marriage. If you think it's the right thing to do, then do it. If others mock you, ignore it, because they'll be the ones who are pregnant at age 16 with STDs galore. Do whatever you feel God wants you to do, don't let others stand in your way.
Though, I shouldn't be talking because often, I am cowardly and care too much about what others think. Don't be me.
- Collies R Us aka Ally

"Be strong and bold; have no fear or dread of them, because it is the LORD your God who goes with you; he will not fail you or forsake you." (Deut. 31:6 NRSV of the Bible)

(#9 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Christian advice preferred-Purity Rings - May 12th 2012, 11:51 PM

My advice: don't do it. The bible says we should never swear or promise on anything because we own nothing. I would say promising anything to G-D is one of the most foolish things anyone can do.

You don't have to make a promise to do right, in fact, in making a promise, you are probably doing wrong.

Once again, dont do it. I warn you out of love.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Christian advice preferred-Purity Rings - May 13th 2012, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collies R Us View Post
Well, since Christians aren't supposed to have sex until they are married, I think that whether you get the ring or not, you should still refrain from sex. Just because you don't have a ring doesn't mean you are allowed to have sex before marriage. You still can't have sex until you are married. It's in the Ten Commandments.

So that just leaves the question of whether or not you want to display that you are supposed to stay pure until marriage. If you think it's the right thing to do, then do it. If others mock you, ignore it, because they'll be the ones who are pregnant at age 16 with STDs galore. Do whatever you feel God wants you to do, don't let others stand in your way.
Though, I shouldn't be talking because often, I am cowardly and care too much about what others think. Don't be me.
- Collies R Us aka Ally
Wow just wow. Just because people have sex before marriage doesn't mean that they are all sluts that don't know how to use protection. And it's just incredibly ignorant, and that's coming from a 23 year old virgin who is against abstinence.

To the OP. I've never liked the idea of a purity ring. If you've decided abstinence is for you that's fine and that's your business, but I almost feel like a purity ring is bragging, oh I'm better than you because I've chosen to stay pure. You don't seem like that kind of person to me.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Christian advice preferred-Purity Rings - May 13th 2012, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collies R Us View Post

- Collies R Us aka Ally
Where does it say that in the 10 commandments?

But your generalisations piss me off. You're sounding like one of those people that says atheists are atheists because they want to have sex. Or the really conservative Americans that say contraception promotes promiscuity.

Stop.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Christian advice preferred-Purity Rings - May 14th 2012, 05:57 PM

Collies R Us: Of course. God certainly wants you to pass judgement unto others, and have a superior outlook on your purity. I dunno though, I'm pretty sure it says all over the Bible to be judgemental to others.

The Bible says to never promise or swear on anything, and that your word should be enough. The idea of a promise ring is self contradictory.

Chickenonsteroids: Number 7: Thou shall not commit adultery.

However as humans we commit literally thousands of sins every single day. Lust for example is bred into us, and we lust for others subconciously several times a minute. Even thinking or saying impure things counts. For example "I'm going to kill you for that!" even in a joking mannor is a major sin. Really, having premartial sex is just another sin like any other, we just put far too much weight on it compared to any other minor sin.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Christian advice preferred-Purity Rings - May 14th 2012, 09:02 PM

How is adultery the same as having sex before marriage?

(#14 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Christian advice preferred-Purity Rings - May 14th 2012, 11:21 PM

Chickenonsteroids: In some Christain cultures they are considered the same thing. Not in mine, but in some.

I was simply trying to make the information they gave fit in with their claim using some Chri9stian cultural beliefs, despite if I personally feel they make sense or not.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: Christian advice preferred-Purity Rings - May 15th 2012, 04:37 PM

I don't think the bible says not to tell God that you will/won't do something. It says that you shouldn't swear by God/Heaven/Earth/etc that you will do something. I thought that just meant like when people are making a promise and they say "right hand up to God" or something similar. Because in that same chapter, it does say that you can simply say "yes I will do this" or "no I won't do this". I feel like having a purity ring is just saying "yes I will" wait until I'm married. I could be wrong though.

Plus, like I said, for me personally, my purity ring is also a reminder of GOD'S promise to ME....His promise to protect my heart and show me the right guy to give it to at the right time if He wants me to get married.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
♥Bliz Offline
Frosted but not frozen
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kyle

Re: Christian advice preferred-Purity Rings - May 15th 2012, 05:43 PM

Wearing one right now! My friend encoraged me to get one. ...however, I broke that promise. Still I wear it and no one but HE (im straight... and try to be faithful, but fail) and 2 others know. I believe God forgives, but sometimes I still have a little trouble getting over it. It wasn't long ago. Sorry, but yes, purity rings are a good way to tell guys to back off. xD

If you ever need it, I'm here to help, talk, or whatever! ~~Kyle
Suicide helplines:
1-800-SUICIDE (784-2433) or 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
  Send a message via Yahoo to ♥Bliz  
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Christian advice preferred-Purity Rings - May 16th 2012, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1 View Post
I don't think the bible says not to tell God that you will/won't do something. It says that you shouldn't swear by God/Heaven/Earth/etc that you will do something. I thought that just meant like when people are making a promise and they say "right hand up to God" or something similar. Because in that same chapter, it does say that you can simply say "yes I will do this" or "no I won't do this". I feel like having a purity ring is just saying "yes I will" wait until I'm married. I could be wrong though.

Plus, like I said, for me personally, my purity ring is also a reminder of GOD'S promise to ME....His promise to protect my heart and show me the right guy to give it to at the right time if He wants me to get married.
It tells us not to swear/promise on anything because we own nothing, as everything is G-D's. If this is a response to one of my posts, I never said the Bible specifically says not to make a promise to G-D. But, whenever the Bible speaks of making a promise to G-D, it warns the person doing it. Thus why it would be foolish to ever make a promise to G-D. I mean think about it, what happens if you break a promise to G-D? Think of the OT and what happened to the people who broke their covenants. It's simply foolish. Just make the decision to stay pure, and leave it at that. There's no need for a promise, despite this, there is nothing to promise on because everything belongs to G-D. And say you promise on nothing (though, philosophically this is a paradox), it is as if your word is useless. That is, you shouldn't need to promise to do something, unless you were to lie about it, and your word shouldn't be trusted. If I tell my wife I love her, I shouldn't have to say, "I promise I love you." Why? Because my word should be enough. The promise is redundant, unless I would lie to her and my normal speech is falsehood and shouldn't be trusted.

A purity ring is as much as you make it. You can wear it just to wear it. Heck, probably a lot of people wear them and yet are immoral.

And if it is G-D's promise to you, then it is just as useful as being aware as G-D's love.

- Carl Sagan

(#18 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Christian advice preferred-Purity Rings - May 16th 2012, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1 View Post

It tells us not to swear/promise on anything because we own nothing, as everything is G-D's. If this is a response to one of my posts, I never said the Bible specifically says not to make a promise to G-D. But, whenever the Bible speaks of making a promise to G-D, it warns the person doing it. Thus why it would be foolish to ever make a promise to G-D. I mean think about it, what happens if you break a promise to G-D? Think of the OT and what happened to the people who broke their covenants. It's simply foolish. Just make the decision to stay pure, and leave it at that. There's no need for a promise, despite this, there is nothing to promise on because everything belongs to G-D. And say you promise on nothing (though, philosophically this is a paradox), it is as if your word is useless. That is, you shouldn't need to promise to do something, unless you were to lie about it, and your word shouldn't be trusted. If I tell my wife I love her, I shouldn't have to say, "I promise I love you." Why? Because my word should be enough. The promise is redundant, unless I would lie to her and my normal speech is falsehood and shouldn't be trusted.

A purity ring is as much as you make it. You can wear it just to wear it. Heck, probably a lot of people wear them and yet are immoral.

And if it is G-D's promise to you, then it is just as useful as being aware of G-D's love.

- Carl Sagan

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Isaiah_41:13 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Marla Ann (Mar)

Re: Christian advice preferred-Purity Rings - May 16th 2012, 03:13 AM

I'm wearing mine right now.
I wear one as a represenative of a few things:
a) God making me pure
b) my promise to God to stay pure until I am married
c) God's promise to show me the right guy when he comes alone

so yes, I think it's a good idea. But if you're not sure, pray about it! It's not something you have to do right away.

-Mar

Isaiah 41:13

For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.

God is the God of second chances

(#20 (permalink)) Old
BigBL87 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Christian advice preferred-Purity Rings - May 16th 2012, 05:31 AM

I'd only get/wear the ring if you want to. More than anything, I'd see it as a reminder.

Closed Thread