TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f39-religion-spirituality-science-philosophy/)
-   -   Your religion in a nutshell. (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f39-religion-spirituality-science-philosophy/t102579-your-religion-nutshell/)

Storyteller. May 26th 2012 10:49 AM

Your religion in a nutshell.

I know there's already a thread to describe your beliefs, but this one is slightly different. There's three parts to it, and you're welcome to answer any/all of them.

Describe your religion/spirituality/beliefs in:

1) 100 words or less;
2) one sentence;
3) five words.

Off you go. :p

Age of Ignorance May 26th 2012 01:45 PM

Re: Your religion in a nutshell.

1) None.
2) None.
3) None.

Or, more deliberately:
1) The non-belief of everything higher power, spiritual or otherwise. I hold faith only in facts and the law. I do not claim to be a scientist, and cannot understand the laws that govern this universe. I do not even care. I care only for the here and now, and don't need spiritual guidance to get me where I want to be.
2) Nothing higher power, spiritual, theoretical or otherwise plagues my mind.
3) Facts > Laws > Science > Religion > Belief.

ThisWillDestroyYou May 26th 2012 03:16 PM

Count is a little off, I'm on my phone.

1) Happy the poor in spirit -- theirs is the reign of the heavens. Happy the mourning -- because they shall be comforted. Happy the meek -- they shall inherit the land. Happy those hungering and thirsting for righteousness -- they shall be filled. Happy the kind -- they shall find kindness. Happy the clean in heart -- they shall see God. Happy the peacemakers -- they shall be called Sons of God. Happy those persecuted for righteousness' sake -- theirs is the reign of the heavens. Happy are ye whenever they may reproach you, revile you... for my name sake

2) For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died; and he died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised.

3) Love your neighbor as yourself.

Kate* May 26th 2012 07:39 PM

God exists, but he's less judgemental than we think and only really bad people go to Hell
If Satan exists his only job is to run Hell, he isn't responsible for our bad decisions or actions.
We are sent here with certain lessons to teach and learn, once you've learned all your lessons and passed them on, your purpose is complete.

George^^ May 26th 2012 09:29 PM

1) If there is a God, he doesn't seem to care a lot, or he leaves us alone to teach us strength, but I doubt it's the second one. My belief in God is like a belief in Santa Clause, sometimes it is plausable, most times it is not. I've felt this way for a while. Also, God doesn't care if your gay or transgender or different, only if you are a good person at heart.

2) God can't, and does not, hate the LGBT community because his teaching, in the simplest form in my mind, is to love others above yourself, and that encludes loving the same sex or loving people despite sex.

3) God loves everyone despite 'sins'.

George^^ May 26th 2012 09:29 PM

1) If there is a God, he doesn't seem to care a lot, or he leaves us alone to teach us strength, but I doubt it's the second one. My belief in God is like a belief in Santa Clause, sometimes it is plausable, most times it is not. I've felt this way for a while. Also, God doesn't care if your gay or transgender or different, only if you are a good person at heart.

2) God can't, and does not, hate the LGBT community because his teaching, in the simplest form in my mind, is to love others above yourself, and that encludes loving the same sex or loving people despite sex.

3) God loves everyone despite 'sins'.

Coffee. May 26th 2012 10:24 PM

1) 100 words or less;
I'm somebody who grew up without religion, searched briefly for religion, and came to the conclusion it's pretty much all bull. I'm not somebody who thinks it's the cause of all wars, and all, but I don't think it helps society as a whole, but rather some individuals. I personally have a somewhat spiritual connection with the Earth, but really, I'm an Atheist at heart.

2) one sentence;
I'm a somewhat spiritual but mostly just cynical atheist.

3) five words.
I just always question everything.

Terry June 1st 2012 05:02 PM

I failed at making the first part only 100 words, sorry D:

1: In terms of religions with an actual God or gods as a central figure, I probably never will believe in a personified God(s), that being said I think the question to ask isn't whether God(s) exists or not, but moreso if he/they/she/it does, WHAT is God(s). I am open to a supernatural start to the universe, however, as there are enough weird things going on in space and just in general (see things such as black holes and relativity for example) to accept that the universe doesn't always make complete sense (in our own understanding of what makes sense, anyway). But then again maybe we just haven't discovered the sciences or simply aren't advanced enough in the ones we currently have, to explain what we don't yet understand.

Simply put, I don't, and don't claim to know anything so I don't genuinely have defined beliefs in terms of religion or spirituality. I've no reason to claim anything I personally hold to be true as fact, as there are a lot of things we don't yet understand in the universe and it'd be ludicrous to try and state my own beliefs over anyone else's as fact.

2: Sometimes pessimistic sometimes optimistic realist.

3: I tend to be indifferent.

MadPoet June 1st 2012 05:58 PM

1.) I'm a Christian, but I don't believe atheists go to Hell, and I don't believe that being Christian gives me an excuse to judge others. I'm interested by other beliefs and I don't let my religion make me close minded.

2.) I don't worship my religion, I worship God.

3.) God is the only judge.

~Mr. Self Destruct~ June 2nd 2012 02:22 AM

1) -
2) -
3) -

Beautiful Disaster June 3rd 2012 01:21 AM

2) I have a God who loves me - no matter what I do or how many times I do it.

3) God is full of grace.

And I figured given 1) said less than 100 words, both two and three are so i'm gonna leave it at that :bleh:

Jack Lowden June 3rd 2012 10:12 PM

1) I was raised agnostic & although I did go to church with some of my friends for a few years, I'm pretty much against the idea of churches in general now because of how badly my last church treated me. Apparently, I was never considered a member or treated equally because my parents didn't attend church. I think religion is too hypocritical.
2) I share a lot of views that Christianity has, although I don't think it's enough to call myself a Christian anymore.
3) I'm so not into religion.

Eternal June 4th 2012 12:22 PM

I'm pretty much the same as Barbara.
1. I was raised agnostic as well and my parents never took me to church, however I tried going with a friend for a little bit but I found I just didn't enjoy going so I stopped. I had considered myself christian for awhile, but I think I am agnostic at this point because I think while it is possible that there is a God, you can't really prove it.
2. I mostly have beliefs rather than a set religion.
3. I'm not that into religion.

♥Bliz June 4th 2012 02:06 PM

I'll just do the five words.
Love eachother, for God's eternal.