TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

The difference between Baptist and Catholic beliefs? - July 19th 2012, 03:46 AM

Just what the title says. I'd like to know more about the differences in my current beliefs and Catholicism; I read an article on the internet which said the main differences, but I can't seem to find a good book at the library that explains the differences in-depth... So I figured some of you guys might be able to help me.

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: The difference between Baptist and Catholic beliefs? - July 19th 2012, 01:35 PM

I'm not Catholic or Baptist, I'm just Christian....but I was raised Catholic, so I think I can answer this question fairly well.

The main difference is how they believe you get to Heaven. That's the most important thing. I'm pretty sure Baptists have the Christian/biblical belief on the subject. They believe that we are all sinners, our sins separate us from God, we can't go to heaven while we have sins, so Jesus came and died on the cross to take the punishment for our sins for us, then rose again on the 3rd day to defeat them...and that anyone who accepts this gift once and for all by believing it and turning their hearts to God will be saved and go to Heaven. Catholics on the other hand, while they also believe that we are all sinners and that Jesus died for us to save us....they believe that you have to earn that gift by being baptized, going through a confirmation ceremony, continuing to be "good" all throughout your life, confessing your sins to a preist every time you mess up, taking communion at church every week (which they believe is literally Jesus' body and eating it will cleanse you), etc. etc. They also believe that even though Jesus already died to pay for our sins, that gift isn't complete and they still have to go to purgatory (which is a place they made up that's supposidly like hell except temporary) to pay for their sins before going to Heaven. None of that is biblical.

Then there's the fact that Baptists only pray to God, while Catholics also pray to people who have passed away- which the bible does not tell us to do.

Like I mentioned before, Catholics believe that communion is literally Jesus' body and blood and eating it does something special. Baptists believe that it's just a symbol that helps us to remember what Jesus did for us.

Baptists usually believe that being baptized is just a symbol of being washed clean from your sins. Catholics believe that it literally washes your sins away.

Catholic churches have more of a ritual and planned out service in a specific order. Baptists are usually more laid back and each service is different depending on what God leads them to do that day (but it always has to line up with the bible).

Those are the main ones. Detailed beliefs vary between each individual church.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
subject97 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: The difference between Baptist and Catholic beliefs? - July 20th 2012, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1 View Post
They also believe that even though Jesus already died to pay for our sins, that gift isn't complete and they still have to go to purgatory (which is a place they made up that's supposidly like hell except temporary) to pay for their sins before going to Heaven. None of that is biblical.

Then there's the fact that Baptists only pray to God, while Catholics also pray to people who have passed away- which the bible does not tell us to do.
First purgatory isn't made up. it may not say the exact word "purgatory" in the bible but in (Rev. 21:27) it says "nothing unclean will enter the presence of God in heaven" so if you still have sin on your soul when you die you're unclean. so you go to purgatory to cleanse yourself first (because god isn't gonna send you to hell for veneral sins)

secondly catholics only pray to god. we ASK the saints and Mary to pray FOR us and we pray FOR the dead since they may be in purgatory.

google "purgatory" and click on the 3rd link for the website i got the verses from

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: The difference between Baptist and Catholic beliefs? - July 20th 2012, 04:17 PM

1. Nothing unclean will enter the presence of God, you're right, which is why the bible says we have to be saved before we die and have our souls washed clean. That has to happen before we die, not after. The bible says nowhere that it can happen after. A place like purgatory isn't even kind of mentioned in the bible.

2. Your church may only ask saints to pray for you, I don't know, but all of the Catholic churches I ever went to growing up prayed directly to the saints. I guess I should change my statement to this: Catholics believe in talking to people who have passed away. Some Catholics ask them for help, while others ask them to ask God for help. Baptists on the other hand, do not believe in talking to anyone who has passed away, because they believe that asking God for help is enough.

3. I read the link and all of my comments still stand. I'll send you a detailed response to it in a private message though, because I don't want to confuse anyone here who is seeking answers.

To the OP, I didn't want to post my whole answer to subject97 here because I didn't want to add more confusion, but feel free to let me know if you want to see it. And to anyone seeking answers, please take all of the verses and read them in context- meaning read the whole section, not just one verse. And see if you see anything similar to purgatory mentioned. I guaruntee you won't, but read and find out for yourself. I don't want to confuse anyone who is seeking answers, so feel free to read the bible and find out for yourself who's right.

Last edited by Megan1; July 20th 2012 at 04:40 PM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Re: The difference between Baptist and Catholic beliefs? - July 20th 2012, 06:41 PM

Thanks, guys.

I knew about Catholics' belief in purgatory, and I've read a bit on the subject now (thanks for the link, Subject97).

Another thing I was a bit curious about were Catholic prayers and the use of rosaries in prayer. Do either of you know a bit about that?

1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: The difference between Baptist and Catholic beliefs? - July 21st 2012, 05:05 PM

I know a little bit. It kind of depends what you want to know. The rosary is worn to keep track of prayers. When praying we say 10 hail Marys and one Our Father and the beads help us count. You start at the first bead next to the cross and go in that pattern until you get to the other side. As for prayers themselves, what do you want to know?

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#7 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Re: The difference between Baptist and Catholic beliefs? - July 22nd 2012, 02:07 PM

Mainly what the prayers used when praying with a rosary are, the hail Marys and Our Father. Is the Our Father the same as the Lord's Prayer, and are hail Marys long prayers, or are they simply saying "hail Mary?"

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: The difference between Baptist and Catholic beliefs? - July 22nd 2012, 06:02 PM

Yes, the "Our Father" is the same as the Lord's Prayer.

And I don't pray the one to Mary obviously, but I grew up praying it when I was little, and it's longer than just saying "hail Mary". It's saying that she gives them grace (because Catholics believe she was sinless and has a right to bless us with grace), more blessed than any other woman ever, and asks her to pray for them to be forgiven. Something along those lines.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: The difference between Baptist and Catholic beliefs? - July 22nd 2012, 07:45 PM

Our Father:
Our father who art in Heaven hallowed be Thy name in Kingdom Come Thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into tempation, but deliver us from evil

Hail Mary:
Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death

Here's where I got the information from and also the correct way to pray the rosary because I told you wrong, sorry

http://www.ewtn.com/Devotionals/prayers/rosary2.htm

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#10 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Re: The difference between Baptist and Catholic beliefs? - July 22nd 2012, 10:49 PM

Ah, thank you both! This is about all I really wanted to know.

Closed Thread