TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Mitch Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mitchell

A way of life? - July 26th 2012, 03:52 PM

I'm not looking for a religion, but lately I've been thinking, because of my depression and all, if there was a certain practice, in which it is about finding inner peace and harmony with nature, to be healthy within mind, body and spirit. Now, I don't want anything to believe in, such as faith or hope, I'm far too real to cling to false happiness or redemption, I just want a way to live happily. To relieve the stress and live peacefully. A set of morals and ideas to live by throughout my life - to just escape...
Is there anything like that out there that is the true, honest depiction of my description?
I've done crystal healing before and it was extremely nice and you have to be focused for it, so it relieves stress and frees your mind from thought, so perhaps something that may include this as an aspect. But it has to be logical! It's just that I have seen how some people live as monks away from civilization, up in the mountains, a very private community but each lives as one with nature, but still connected by technology so they are not totally isolated from outside forces, but they are able to put their minds to a trans and escape external distraction through meditation etc, and I just thought it sounded so nice.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: A way of life? - July 27th 2012, 02:59 AM

I'm not quite sure what you're asking, to be honest. There are many forms of yoga that you should look into. Yoga is great for the mind, body, and spirit. I don't know if it'll bring you closer to nature, but you'll definitely feel more connected to the world by doing yoga. Not that kind of yoga that you get DVDs that contain women with big boobs synchronizing and the main one going "and move those hips...yeah...good job!" I'm talking going to classes with meditation music in the background, maybe a little bit of heat to the temperature, etc.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Mitch Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: A way of life? - July 27th 2012, 06:14 AM

I was meaning more about, a set of morals and values, actions or traditions to live life happily. It is basically what religion is about, although that includes the aspect of belief, so I was thinking more along the lines of western Buddhism or Tibetan monks, tai chi etc.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Zen Ryochan Offline
Love and Tolerate
Average Joe

Name: Ryan

Re: A way of life? - July 27th 2012, 09:04 AM

I'm a Zen Buddhist which might be along the lines you're looking for. You can pm me if you want.

"To suspect your own mortality is to know the beginning of terror; to learn irrefutably that you are mortal is to know the end of terror." -Frank Herbert

“To love our enemy is impossible. The moment we understand our enemy, we feel compassion towards him or her, and he or she is no longer our enemy.” ~Thich Nhat Hanh

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: A way of life? - July 27th 2012, 09:40 AM

Hey Mitchell,

I am going to be honest with you and say that I do not know a lot about any of the religions that you have mentioned but I will try my best to give you some type of help, okay?

While reading this the first thought that popped into my mind was Buddahism; I don't know a whole lot about that but I have a friend who practices it and we have talked about it a bit. Now, if you are really interested in Buddahism or any of the other religions you mentioned why not try doing a google search to get a better idea about what they are about. Also, the internet might help you find books about those religions which you could then check out at your local library. I truly believe that the most important step to take when you are looking into any type of religion is to get as much information as you can about it to make sure it is right for you.

Once you have done some research maybe you could check the internet for some type of forum that is tailored specifically to Buddahism or any other religion you find of interest? That way you can find more information about the religion from people who are actually practicing. And who knows maybe you will find some people here who practice the same religion as you.

From there you can take it where you want. You can decide it that religion is the best one for you, you can decide how and when you want to practice etc. The more you learn the better able you will be at finding the best fit for you.

I hope this helped.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Mitch Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: A way of life? - July 27th 2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Ryochan View Post
I'm a Zen Buddhist which might be along the lines you're looking for. You can pm me if you want.
Perhaps it is, would you be able to explain it a bit to me, as I really don't know what to ask at this point in time. I had a quick read on it, and it's less about religious teachings and more about traditional meditation right?

And to the others, thank you for your responses, and if this isn't for me afterall, well I hope I can find something that fits me right.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Hiraeth Offline
Glorious raindrops
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: A way of life? - July 27th 2012, 07:55 PM

Western Buddhism pretty much fits that exact description.

I always suggest people to look into the works of Thich Nhat Hanh and Pema Chodron. Wonderful, wonderful stuff. Practical for daily life, well thought-out, not at all "religious".

"If limitations exist, it is because we have erased the possibility of potential."

Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Hiraeth 
Closed Thread