TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

What is right and what is wrong? - August 20th 2012, 10:30 AM

I think I've had my calling. I know that the only way to live my life is by doing what God believes is righteous. I have a problem though; I do not know what is considered good and what is considered bad in the eyes of God. Can you please inform me of the right and wrong things to do to live a Christian life properly?

Thanks

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 934859 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: What is right and what is wrong? - August 20th 2012, 03:51 PM

I don't really think anyone can tell you what is morally acceptable to god because everyone interprets it differently. People will, surely, offer you their opinions, though. Why don't you just read the bible and form your own opinion?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: What is right and what is wrong? - August 20th 2012, 05:52 PM

First of all, it's so great that you are seeking to please God. I would love to give you some insight on some things that the bible says God does/dosen't want us to do. But first, you need to know this:

According to the bible, since we have ALL sinned and ALL fallen short of God's glory, we are ALL displeasing to God because of our sins. Even though we do some good things too, God is so perfect that any amount of sin that we have separates us from Him and His perfection. We would all have had to go to hell some day to pay the punishment for our sins. (don't panick, I'm getting to the good news )

God loves us and has so much compassion for us, that He didn't want us to be apart from Him or go to hell. He wanted to save us. Have you ever loved someone so much that when they were hurting, you wished that you could just take all of their pain and put it in yourself- because you'd rather suffer than have to watch them suffer? Well, that's the love that God had for us, and that's what He did- with our sins. He sent His perfect Son, Jesus, to Earth. Jesus took all of our sins and put them inside of Himself, and then was willingly killed by being nailed to a wooden cross to take the punishment for our sins for us. Then, on the third day after His death, God rose Him back to life- defeating sin forever. Not that there isn't still sin in the world, but that anyone who accepts Jesus to save them will be seen as cleansed from sin and pleasing in God's eyes, and will be free to go to Heaven.

THAT is how you become pleasing to God once and for all forever-allow Jesus to pay the price for your wrongs. You do that by believing all of this, and repenting (repent means "change of mind"...in other words, turning your mind to realize that sin is bad, God is good, and that you choose God). Of course you'll probably still mess up, but the great thing about being saved is that it is a one-time thing that covers you forever.

Now, I know that you were actually asking about how to ACT pleasing to God...but I wanted to let you know that without being saved, we will always be unpleasing to God no matter what. Once you are saved, you start reading the bible and slowly but surely learn more about how to also live the way that God wants us to. Our actions are not what save us, but we do them because we love God and want to serve Him. Reply to me after you read this and I can tell you more about where to read in the bible and some specific things that God calls us to do, if you'd like.

Last edited by Megan1; August 20th 2012 at 06:00 PM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: What is right and what is wrong? - August 20th 2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1 View Post
First of all, it's so great that you are seeking to please God. I would love to give you some insight on some things that the bible says God does/dosen't want us to do. But first, you need to know this:

According to the bible, since we have ALL sinned and ALL fallen short of God's glory, we are ALL displeasing to God because of our sins. Even though we do some good things too, God is so perfect that any amount of sin that we have separates us from Him and His perfection. We would all have had to go to hell some day to pay the punishment for our sins. (don't panick, I'm getting to the good news )

God loves us and has so much compassion for us, that He didn't want us to be apart from Him or go to hell. He wanted to save us. Have you ever loved someone so much that when they were hurting, you wished that you could just take all of their pain and put it in yourself- because you'd rather suffer than have to watch them suffer? Well, that's the love that God had for us, and that's what He did- with our sins. He sent His perfect Son, Jesus, to Earth. Jesus took all of our sins and put them inside of Himself, and then was willingly killed by being nailed to a wooden cross to take the punishment for our sins for us. Then, on the third day after His death, God rose Him back to life- defeating sin forever. Not that there isn't still sin in the world, but that anyone who accepts Jesus to save them will be seen as cleansed from sin and pleasing in God's eyes, and will be free to go to Heaven.

THAT is how you become pleasing to God once and for all forever-allow Jesus to pay the price for your wrongs. You do that by believing all of this, and repenting (repent means "change of mind"...in other words, turning your mind to realize that sin is bad, God is good, and that you choose God). Of course you'll probably still mess up, but the great thing about being saved is that it is a one-time thing that covers you forever.

Now, I know that you were actually asking about how to ACT pleasing to God...but I wanted to let you know that without being saved, we will always be unpleasing to God no matter what. Once you are saved, you start reading the bible and slowly but surely learn more about how to also live the way that God wants us to. Our actions are not what save us, but we do them because we love God and want to serve Him. Reply to me after you read this and I can tell you more about where to read in the bible and some specific things that God calls us to do, if you'd like.
I don't mean to be debatable right now, it's a genuine question. So as to avoid indoctrination, why don't you just guide them to the bible and let god do the rest? Because, even if we considered that the bible is the genuine word of god, it would seem more responsible to point them to the word of god, rather than the word of Megan (excuse my sarcasm, I couldn't help it).

4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
ARootlessTree Offline
ಠ_ಠ
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Toz

Re: What is right and what is wrong? - August 20th 2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Have you ever loved someone so much that when they were hurting, you wished that you could just take all of their pain and put it in yourself- because you'd rather suffer than have to watch them suffer?
Quote:
...but I wanted to let you know that without being saved, we will always be unpleasing to God no matter what.
You know what they call that in social services? Being in an emotionally abusive relationship.
Quote:
...on the third day after His death, God rose Him back to life- defeating sin forever. Not that there isn't still sin in the world, but that anyone who accepts Jesus to save them will be seen as cleansed from sin and pleasing in God's eyes, and will be free to go to Heaven.
Doesn't it raise an eyebrow that an all perfect, all loving, all powerful God can't even totally (read: efficiently) wipe out evil?
Quote:
So it's just insurance? Regardless of whether or not you MEAN it, you just have to act the part and receive the reward?

To the OP: This is my advice to you. It is not my aim to change your mind, to convince you that I'm right and Christianity is wrong. I would seek to point you to Chapter 4 of Phillipians verses 8 and 9.
"8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honorable, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

9 The things which ye both learned and received and heard and saw in me, these things do: and the God of peace shall be with you
."

Do what is right, and best. Be a paragon of fairness, have integrity, and have faith that if God is good and God is perfect, he will see that instead of bending to silly self depreciating thoughts, you were a loving, caring, just person.

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: What is right and what is wrong? - August 20th 2012, 06:45 PM

Michael, I'd be happy to back up anything that I said with scripture and did encourage the OP to read the bible. However, it is also okay to put it into your own words when you are preaching. In the book of Acts, they just told people in their own words what God had done.

Toz, I'll reply to you in a priavate message so this doesn't turn into a debate thread. The OP is seeking answers and I would like to leave this thread only for that.

Last edited by Megan1; August 20th 2012 at 07:07 PM.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: What is right and what is wrong? - August 20th 2012, 06:50 PM

As Mike said, simply turn to your Bible. Look into the New Testament - it'll give you a pretty solid idea of the things that Jesus does/does not want you to do. Also, pray about it. God will show you exactly what it is that He wants from you and will help guide you along His path if you freely accept Him.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#8 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: What is right and what is wrong? - August 20th 2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Michael, I'd be happy to back up anything that I said with scripture and did encourage the OP to read the bible. However, it is also okay to put it into your own words when you are preaching. In the book of Acts, they just told people in their own words what God had done.

Toz, I'll reply to you in a priavate message so this doesn't turn into a debate thread. The OP is seeking answers and I would like to leave this thread only for that.
Unfortunately proof texting isn't enough. This is why we have 35,000 denominations and billions of interpretations of single passages. Lastly, you're assuming the book of Acts applies to you, but it was only speaking to people in that timeframe. The biblical canon wasn't yet compiled, so when people used their own words to tell what god had done it was natural because there was no other "infallible" source. Just people supposedly witnessing events. This is, also, probably why there were even supposed divisions in the early church when it comes to doctrine which is why the church developed a biblical canon and a hierarchy. So, no, that verse doesn't apply to you, Megan, no more than Galatians 4:14 applies to you.

Last edited by ThisWillDestroyYou; August 20th 2012 at 08:06 PM.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: What is right and what is wrong? - August 20th 2012, 09:48 PM

Hold on, I'll send you a private message too. This is a lot of information and I don't want to confuse the OP who just wants to know how to please God.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: What is right and what is wrong? - August 20th 2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toz View Post
To the OP: This is my advice to you. It is not my aim to change your mind, to convince you that I'm right and Christianity is wrong. I would seek to point you to Chapter 4 of Phillipians verses 8 and 9.

"8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honorable, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

9 The things which ye both learned and received and heard and saw in me, these things do: and the God of peace shall be with you."

Do what is right, and best. Be a paragon of fairness, have integrity, and have faith that if God is good and God is perfect, he will see that instead of bending to silly self depreciating thoughts, you were a loving, caring, just person.
I second Mike. Don't think God wants you to be self-depreciating! I hate it when other Christians think that; God doesn't want us to self-depreciating. He wants us to be joyful in our love of Him, and not only in that, but in our love for our lives, too. Don't huddle up in a corner somewhere and listen to someone shouting that you can't do Thing X or Thing Y or Thing B or Thing C, until you've decided for yourself that it is true, and even then, don't believe that God won't love you if you don't behave perfectly.

Example: I'm a Christian. I still cuss, because the way I see it, all things are better done in the light than in the darkness, and I'd rather be a sinner than a hypocrite in the first place (though I don't think cussing is a sin). Some Christians would disagree with me, but the thing is, I don't, and I think if God wanted me to stop cussing, he would've damn well told me to by now, some way.

What gives me the right to do this, and to form my own opinions on Biblical law? This often-overlooked/under-analyzed verse in Philippians:

Quote:
"Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not only as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling."

[Philippians 2:12]

Basically, this is saying that we work toward our own salvations, and we work them out between ourselves and the Lord, understanding that he is there and that we have a responsibility to obey His laws, but also understanding that His laws are open to interpretation by yourself and others.

At least, that's my interpretation.

Good luck, and if you need someone's help with something, don't hesitate to ask me. I haven't been a Christian for as long as some, but I study my Bible and know it well enough.

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: What is right and what is wrong? - August 21st 2012, 12:16 AM

Hey there,

I think that your best bet is to get a bible and read it. I think that by reading the bible you will be able to figure out what you feel God wants from you. There are some study bibles out there that can help people better understand the bible. If you go into your local christian store or google study bibles online you will probably find one that works for you.

There are a number of reasons that I recommend reading the bible but the main one is that we all interpret the bible differently and so if you do not do your own reading and studying you won't have YOUR own idea of what is right and what is wrong. If you simply listen to what other people have to say or want you to believe you will most likely end up with more questions than answers.

And, lastly, as suggested, praying about this can definitely be a great way to figure things out. You might not get the 'answers' right away but over time you will.

I hope this helped and if you need anything please feel free to pm me.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#12 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Not Michael

Re: What is right and what is wrong? - August 22nd 2012, 04:56 AM

Objective morality is an evolutionary trait. You should not have to worry. If something seems bad to you, it's probably bad. If you REALLY want an explanation, I'll explain why.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: What is right and what is wrong? - August 22nd 2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBodySpirit View Post
Objective morality is an evolutionary trait. You should not have to worry. If something seems bad to you, it's probably bad. If you REALLY want an explanation, I'll explain why.
No, actually, it isn't. There are certain self-preservation mechanisms weaved into human biology, to increase the likelihood of survival for the organism, but objective morality? No, that's just simply incorrect. There are far better explanations for moral trends than claiming the existence of "objective morality".

One million miles away...

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: What is right and what is wrong? - August 22nd 2012, 08:49 AM

Follow these exact instructions and you'll resolve your issue:

1) Open and read a particular version of the bible
2) Think and try to understand it
3) Pray if you feel it'll help
4) Rinse, lather and repeat.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#15 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Not Michael

Re: What is right and what is wrong? - August 22nd 2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Mr. Self Destruct~ View Post

No, actually, it isn't. There are certain self-preservation mechanisms weaved into human biology, to increase the likelihood of survival for the organism, but objective morality? No, that's just simply incorrect. There are far better explanations for moral trends than claiming the existence of "objective morality".
Okay, fine. You're right. Objective morality itself is not evolutionary. However, it does explain why people hold the moral positions that they do. I was really tired when I posted that. What I should really be saying is that secular objective morality certainly does exist. Morality is in no way subjective, and it is definitely not reliant on a god.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: What is right and what is wrong? - August 23rd 2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBodySpirit View Post
Okay, fine. You're right. Objective morality itself is not evolutionary. However, it does explain why people hold the moral positions that they do. I was really tired when I posted that. What I should really be saying is that secular objective morality certainly does exist. Morality is in no way subjective, and it is definitely not reliant on a god.
I'm a noncognitivist. That doesn't mean I believe people won't stand steadfast to their morals. It simply means that I don't believe any are capable of being "correct" in an objective sense.

One million miles away...

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
joeblow9999 Offline
I'm back! (sorta)
Regular TeenHelper

Re: What is right and what is wrong? - August 23rd 2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Of Mike and Men View Post
I don't really think anyone can tell you what is morally acceptable to god because everyone interprets it differently. People will, surely, offer you their opinions, though. Why don't you just read the bible and form your own opinion?
This. It's what everyone else does already.

Feel free to leave me a VM anytime, I don't bite. :3

“For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday, and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.” ---Neil deGrasse Tyson

Closed Thread