TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
blurryface Offline
|-/
Senior TeenHelper

Name: anathema

He's Mormon, and I'm not religious... - September 2nd 2012, 04:01 PM

I pondered for like 10 minutes trying to figure out where to put this. I figured I'd get more answers if I posted in here, however, feel free to move it if necessary.

Sooo... long story short, I asked my crush to homecoming. He's Mormon, and not allowed to date until he's 16. He doesn't turn 16 until the first week of October. I think. I forget exactly why, but his parents said he wasn't allowed to go. However, he invited me to a dance at his church, to which I said, "I'm not religious, but I would love to."
He knows I'm not religious. We've had long conversations about our religions and beliefs and why we have those beliefs. He said, "It doesn't really matter," and I relaxed a little. But now I'm just really wondering if going is even a good idea. Cause that's his CHURCH. His FAMILY might even be there. Even if I wanted to fake it, I couldn't. I couldn't pretend to be religious (especially Mormon) even if I wanted to. And I'm really embarrassed to bring it up.
I really, really like him. But I respect his religion, and I'm really unsure if going to this dance is even a good idea simply because I am not religious.
What should I do?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion
I can't get enough

Name: Haru

Re: He's Mormon, and I'm not religious... - September 2nd 2012, 07:08 PM

Do what makes you the most comfortable. If you honestly want to go, then go, and don't worry about what others may think. You don't have to fake anything. It's just a dance, right? Then go and have fun, if that's what you want to do. There are plenty of couples who have different religions and sets of beliefs, and they work out just fine. Plus if you start dating him when he turns 16 soon, then his family will find out about your religious differences anyway; that's something you cannot and should not hide. Everyone is entitled to their beliefs, and I think his family should respect that. You shouldn't be embarrassed at all; your beliefs are your beliefs, and you should be proud of who you are. If you're really nervous about this, maybe try talking to your crush and tell him your concerns, and see what he has to say.

I love my Big Sleepy Bear.
I still fill my panties; do YOU?
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde
Buddy since 12/25/11 Self Expressions mod since 4/23/12 Helplink mentor since 5/9/12 . . . . . .Skittlify.
I was blessed by your companionship from 12/24/01-6/27/13

(#3 (permalink)) Old
blurryface Offline
|-/
Senior TeenHelper

Re: He's Mormon, and I'm not religious... - September 2nd 2012, 07:34 PM

I didn't really get a chance to talk to him about it on Friday, cause we only have first hour together, and I don't see him until Tuesday. I don't want him to think I'm, like, overanalyzing it or whatever (even though I probably am) so maybe I'll bring it up when we have time in first hour.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: He's Mormon, and I'm not religious... - September 2nd 2012, 11:37 PM

I once dated a guy who had been raised Mormon, and his family didn't seem to have a problem with my beliefs. (I am agnostic atheist.) They were rather polite and I was almost always welcome at their home. If you're comfortable going to his church dance, but you're not interested in converting, he will probably understand. Just tell him that! As long as there is respect between the two of you and you are not disobeying either of your parents, you should be okay.

Have fun! Good luck.

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

(#5 (permalink)) Old
blurryface Offline
|-/
Senior TeenHelper

Re: He's Mormon, and I'm not religious... - September 2nd 2012, 11:52 PM

See, that's what I'm scared of. I don't want his parents/family/church to not like me because yeah, my crush (his name is Robert) seems to be cool with it, said it didn't matter, but who knows how everyone else is gonna take it? Maybe I'm overanalyzing this, maybe I'm worrying over nothing. I just don't wanna be shunned for my religion I'll find out Tuesday, I guess.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: He's Mormon, and I'm not religious... - September 3rd 2012, 03:15 AM

I know you're scared, and that's okay! But try not to worry yourself sick about something that hasn't happened. Most people will be tolerant of your beliefs if they get a chance to know you. Just be courteous and let your personality shine through! Even if they don't like your beliefs, people who like YOU will be more likely to look past that. It seems this guy has already seen that.

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
blurryface Offline
|-/
Senior TeenHelper

Re: He's Mormon, and I'm not religious... - September 3rd 2012, 04:15 AM

Well, thanks I just want this 3 day weekend to be over so I can talk to him about it xD

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Melwirth Offline
Average Joe

Name: Melissa

Re: He's Mormon, and I'm not religious... - September 13th 2012, 12:08 PM

Hey Girly Just to throw this out there I am Mormon as well Have been since I was 16 so I wasnt raised, and yes him not being allowed to date til he is 16 is pretty standard for the LDS (mormon) teenagers, thats normal, his parents arent crazy haha Um well, as for right now your religious differences probably wont be a big deal, but dont get freaked and run if he happens to invite you to church or a church activity, the church encourages us to invite our friends and stuff Hopefully he will start out with maybe inviting you to an activity like Mutual (activity during the week for youth, super fun) or to a stake dance (those usually happen monthly) hey thats an idea, he is old enough to go the church dances (also fun) tell him you heard that is church has dances for the youth and ask him if there is one coming up and see if you might be able to tag along so just some thoughts and some heads up feel free to ask more if you would like

Closed Thread