TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Judgmental Christians? - September 14th 2012, 08:01 PM

It feels as though for every kind hearted, non-judgement Christian I meet, I meet one who is extremely judgmental and lacking in tolerance. As I understand it, Christians are not supposed to judge other people and are supposed to be accepting of all of those from different religious backgrounds. You don't have to agree with what others think, but you shouldn't be rude or mean about it either.

So it got me thinking: How did this come to be and are other Christians bothered that their religion is being portrayed so poorly? I understand that every group of people will have extremists, or those who take it out of context... but I feel that Christianity, for the most part, is taking a turn for the worse.

So, if you are Christian, or not, why do you think your religion is becoming this way and who is responsible? I know Christians strive for missionary work, do you think that missionary work on other Christians may become popular in the future? Teaching other Christians ways to tolerate others who do not share the same religious views? Or is believing in Jesus good enough ?

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Judgmental Christians? - September 14th 2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post

1. So, if you are Christian, or not, why do you think your religion is becoming this way and who is responsible?

2. I know Christians strive for missionary work, do you think that missionary work on other Christians may become popular in the future?

3.Teaching other Christians ways to tolerate others who do not share the same religious views?

4. Or is believing in Jesus good enough ?
1. Christianity is actually progressively getting better and more tolerant. You only have to go back 500 years ago and famous Christians, I.E. John Calvin, would burn people at the stake simply for a disagreement in doctrine. Christianity has always been a violent religion, and for the most part, it still is to a degree. But, if you think Christianity is getting bad no offense but, you need to read up on the history of Christianity.

2. Isn't this what Church is for?

3. See above. Also, you have to bear in mind, a Christian who is more "radical" simply has different religious views than you. This doesn't mean that we non-Christians, or non-Radicals really have the right to judge them in return. Or maybe it does?

4. The likely answer you are to get to this is believing is good enough, but if you truly believe, you won't be judgmental. In other words, there are "fake" Christians who only think they're Christians.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: Judgmental Christians? - September 14th 2012, 10:17 PM

Hey there,

1. I believe religion is actually at fault. Not Christianity itself. The "judgemental" people are using acting religious. Religion and Christianity is very different, sure you have those religions whom are strict as hell but religion is at fault in potraying us. What religion says we do and Jesus says to do are compleely different.
Religion says DO, Jesus said DONE. Understood? YOu should go into google or onto youtube (youtube look up "why I hate religion, but love Jesus" it's n inspirational christian rap and the points he makes are really good If you go on to goodle you can just set up a simple search for differences between what religion says and what God says.

2. We already do But, we also know if we are on a higher level it is sooooo much easier to be pulled down than it is to help someone up. What we have to keep in mind is, if this is Jesus' way I won't be pulled down, I'll stand tall and do my best. I'm into missionary work and it is great to see lives changed once they meet Jesus

3. MOst christians, if you say I don't believe in that stuff, back off. Sure, we'll persist a little, ask them questions. What I do on the other hand is just say: why do you feel that way. When they answer I'll usually have a reply for them and by the end of that day that person is wondering confused, scratching their head going what did she say? And keep thinking on it.
Jehova's witness's for one example, seriously don't know when to back off sometimes. I have to slam the door in their faces. Jesus rose from the grave 3 days after death, he isn't going to be risen in years. He's going to come back to earth from heaven (sure that could be construed as being raised to life but the JW's in the start didn't know how to read the Hebrew text and only was able to write down half of it (many don't know that) also they took pieces from the bible and removed them from theirs, which really irritated me.

4. No, just loving God isn't enough. Because, many can say 'oh yeah, I love GOd, yeah I'm christian'. Mate above me, nope, you got it wrong!
It's our actions which define who we are. We need to love others, and to use the handbook God created to help mouldour lives, with his help. We need to change and become better people. So NO, loving God isn't enough! We must strive to be like Jesus to to follow the example Jesus left for us.

Jay. (hope this helps and if anyone disagrees with what I say [other christian's, I'm fed up having to have debates about the bible] you guys can message me and we can get to talking.

Thanks.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Melwirth Offline
Average Joe

Name: Melissa

Re: Judgmental Christians? - September 14th 2012, 11:46 PM

I think what you have to remember here is that no body is perfect and people who are Christian aren't perfect, nor should we think we are. We all make mistakes, Christians and non Christians. Yes some can be judgmental but we work on that, as should all people. Yes there are some people who dont practice what they preach and that is sad but it's just another thing that they have to work on like the rest of us. But for the most part I have met very nice non judgmental people in my own religion, more so then any other religion. For the most part we try, and it saddens me to think there are so many people out there "representing" Christ and are so judgmental of others...but then again we can't judge them either....that would be hypocritical. Just remember all people are at different stages of their progression and what we really need to do is concentrate on our own progression and treat others they way we know they should regardless.
I'll leave you with this quote "Don't judge me because I sin differently than you." there is a lot of power behind that. We all just need to concentrate on repenting of our own sins.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: Judgmental Christians? - September 14th 2012, 11:49 PM

There is also this one: Christian's aren't perfect, just forgiven. (it's a bumper sticker from the coast and it stuck on me.

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Tayatot14 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Judgmental Christians? - September 15th 2012, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
It feels as though for every kind hearted, non-judgement Christian I meet, I meet one who is extremely judgmental and lacking in tolerance. As I understand it, Christians are not supposed to judge other people and are supposed to be accepting of all of those from different religious backgrounds. You don't have to agree with what others think, but you shouldn't be rude or mean about it either.

So it got me thinking: How did this come to be and are other Christians bothered that their religion is being portrayed so poorly? I understand that every group of people will have extremists, or those who take it out of context... but I feel that Christianity, for the most part, is taking a turn for the worse.

So, if you are Christian, or not, why do you think your religion is becoming this way and who is responsible? I know Christians strive for missionary work, do you think that missionary work on other Christians may become popular in the future? Teaching other Christians ways to tolerate others who do not share the same religious views? Or is believing in Jesus good enough ?

As a Christian going to a public school with many unchristians I hear this same complaint very often. But the thing is we are still human even though we follow Christ. We still sin just like every one else. Judgement has always been around even as Christians but we are trying to strive to be above that while we are being judged by everyone else for what we believe. A lot of judgement i believe is retaliation for the initial judgement or discomfort because they do not know how to properly confront someone who is sinning. Just because a Christian doesnt agree with what you are saying doesnt mean they are judging you. Hope that helps!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Judgmental Christians? - September 19th 2012, 02:58 AM

1. So, if you are Christian, or not, why do you think your religion is becoming this way and who is responsible?

So, I agree that there are a lot of intolerant Christians out there but I would also have to agree that many years ago the intolerance was worse.

However, I think the intolerance in today's society and even in the past can be attributed to fear and prejudice of the unknown. People in the past didn't like Native American people because they had no idea what these people were or what they stood for and so they claimed that they were barbarians. The people of the past were just prejudice and saw the Native Americans as an obstacle (this is just one example). Today, Christians fear the unknown and are prejudiced against it just like in the past. Therefore they are against anything that goes against what they view as norms.

2. I know Christians strive for missionary work, do you think that missionary work on other Christians may become popular in the future?

I think that we do this to a certain extent but I believe the point of Missionary work is to change lives by introducing people to God.

However, there are Urban Missions and there are Ministries within churches that are about bringing people back to God and helping people who have come to know God to continue to connect with God etc. Which, I think is similar to missionary work.

3.Teaching other Christians ways to tolerate others who do not share the same religious views?

This is a tough question because some Christians are taught that they are supposed to bring people closer to God. It is their mission in life to expose people to the Christian faith. They are supposed to expose people to the 'casualties' of their religion. And, believe me I have met some Christians who do an amazing job of this. They make me feel, well, bad for associating with the christian faith. So, teaching Christians to tolerate others religious views isn't exactly taught in church. Christians are not supposed to go out and chastise people for being of different faiths but we are supposed to show them the 'errors' of their ways and bring them to god.

However, this is why I have trouble with Christianity because while I do not have a problem discussing my religion with people, if it comes up, I will not force the discussion upon them either. I won't pester them about going to church or anything like that. I will respect their choice in religion and they should respect mine. But their are a lot of people who are not like that and there are a lot of churches who preach that it is our job to go out and preach the gospel and not take no for an answer; which condones the intolerance.

4. Or is believing in Jesus good enough?

Believing in Jesus? There are numerous people who claim to believe in Jesus and do not. There are numerous people who claim to live life as Jesus would want and are not. I think that we have to be the best people that we can be and try to do more good than bad. I think that there are Sins that are unforgivable and the only person that can judge is God.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: Judgmental Christians? - September 19th 2012, 12:37 PM

I'm going to answer this thread as best as I can. However, it really depends on how far you take it when you say "judgmental Christian". In some people's eyes, I am a judgment Christian because I'm not afraid to calmly tell other people that they are wrong and tell them that Jesus is the only way to Heaven. But, there are others who wouldn't consider me judgmental and who think that a judgmental Christian is someone who hates people of other religions (not just hates the religion), thinks they are better than others, ignores people of other religions, yells at them, bullies them, etc.

For example, there was recently a gay pride festival. There were a whole bunch of "Christians" (it's not my place to judge if they really are or not) standing outside the gates with picket signs, telling the people how disgusting they were and how much God hated them. But then, there was one Christian who actually went INTO the gay pride festival and started calm loving conversations with people. He still did talk to them about sin and hell and needing to be saved- but he did it in a way that they knew we are ALL sinners and ALL need to be saved and that Christians aren't any better than them on our own. He even told them about some of his own past sin so they knew that he wasn't any better than them and needed to be saved just as much as they did. I would be like this guy rather than like the protesters. Some people still consider this guy judgmental because he still told them that their actions and religions were wrong...but that's what the bible tells us to do.

So, if you're asking why people are like those protestors: I'd say it's because they haven't read (or haven't taken to heart) what the bible says about loving people. I do understand that people like that are angry at sin. The bible tells us to be angry at sin, BUT to have self control in how we deal with it. Yelling at people and telling them that God hates them is not having self control. You should use your anger at sin to do good things, not evil. The guy who calmly preached the gospel to people was angry at sin too, but he used it for good and went out and loved those people and reached out to them.

If you're asking why people are like that guy who went into the festival to share the gospel: it's because the bible tells us to be. The bible says to love everyone, but it never says to tolerate other religions. Tolerate the people, but not what they believe. The bible says to tell every creature the good news that Jesus is the Savior that we need and that He came to save us.

Most of the time, I'm like the guy in the second option who calmly and lovingly preaches the gospel. But, there are times when I mess up and act like those protestors. Why? It's because I let my anger at sin get out of control instead of dealing with it and using it for good. As others here have said, Christians aren't perfect- just forgiven of their imperfections.

DISCLAIMER TO EVERYONE: Please don't discuss the whole "Being gay is/isn't wrong!" thing in this thread. I just used that as an example and has nothing to do with this thread. Thanks.

Last edited by Megan1; September 19th 2012 at 12:54 PM.

Closed Thread