TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
misskingraven Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Satanism? - September 20th 2012, 06:44 AM

I'm just curious about others opinions on Satanism as a religion. And I don't mean the stereotype of people dressed in black sacrificing babies and bathing in goats blood, because that's not what goes on. It's just people following "Satan" instead of "God" which I find interesting. So just thought I'd get some other opinions on it!

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 950926 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
CorrieUSMC Offline
Ghost Rider
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Corrie

Re: Satanism? - September 20th 2012, 05:17 PM

I heard its when you dress in black get in a circle and rock out to Iron maiden - Number of the Beast

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Pyromania Offline
Not a n00b

Name: ?

Re: Satanism? - September 20th 2012, 10:12 PM

There are many different schools of Satanism and some don't worship him at all, ironically enough. The main brand, LaVeyan Satanism, is all about prioritizing self satisfaction over concern for other people - values like pride, vengefulness and such are all promoted as opposed to, say, the loving kindness that is in Buddhism. It's all about the materialistic 'I'.

As a religion worshipping the devil, it's a load of bullshit. As an ethical code of practice, it's refreshingly different.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Satanism? - September 21st 2012, 04:28 AM

Satanism has different "sects". A relatively new one is LaVeyan Satanism, which is atheistic and the bible it uses is more of a compilation of views and ritual practices (these are optional to perform). The ritual practices draw heavily from theistic Satanism, although they're modified and condensed versions. Some theistic Satanist branches are polytheistic as opposed to monotheistic Christianity, although there is some variation amongst how the churches will recognize them. Some churches conflict with others, especially the more radical ones. There are also other versions of Satanism that aren't your typical theistic nor atheistic LaVeyan. For example, the Temple of Set (Ancient Egyptian god) has its own unique terminology and different Orders, many of which are named after a particular demon recognized in theistic Satanism and demonolatry. I don't know a lot about them though but if you're interested, here is their homepage.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
It's Magic Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tess

Re: Satanism? - September 27th 2012, 05:04 AM

You know what?
I think it's great.
While I'm really not into "religion" as a whole... (religion seems a bit cultist and steroetypical to me... which I guess is slightly hypocritical of me, seeing as I tend to label myself as a Pagan...), a bunch of people that are stepping outside of the norm... as long as they're happy, why is it anyones business?
Who says Satan is bad, anyway? "God"? We all say things about people that we dislike. We try to turn people against them.
As far as I'm concerned; looking at it objectively, Satan hasn't done anything "wrong". And people can follow whoever they want to. No one gets the right to judge another human beings beliefs; whether they be peaceful or harmful.
I don't care what "religion" someone is. And personally, I think people just like to categorize too much. You believe what is in your heart; and that is that. Shouldn't have to be labeled.

~ ~ ~ i just don't t h i n k that they'd understand ...

(#6 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Satanism? - September 27th 2012, 08:39 AM

Honestly I've yet to see someone claim to be a Satanist who isn't a teenage girl. Take that how you will.

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Francois Offline
Average Joe

Name: Francois

Re: Satanism? - September 27th 2012, 08:25 PM

Most brands of "Satanism" is actually more like "anti-Christianity" in the extreme form. I find it almost hilarious that some people can be non-conformist enough to label themselves "Satanists." I mean, seriously, that is basically trying to conform so hard to the ideals of non-conformism that you have to conform to the ultimate form of non-conformism, a religion with it's name derived from the Spirit of Rebellion. If that isn't nonsensical I don't know what is.

4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Satanism? - September 27th 2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Most brands of "Satanism" is actually more like "anti-Christianity" in the extreme form. I find it almost hilarious that some people can be non-conformist enough to label themselves "Satanists." I mean, seriously, that is basically trying to conform so hard to the ideals of non-conformism that you have to conform to the ultimate form of non-conformism, a religion with it's name derived from the Spirit of Rebellion. If that isn't nonsensical I don't know what is.
This is the best post I've read here in months, please stick around

4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Francois Offline
Average Joe

Name: Francois

Re: Satanism? - September 30th 2012, 06:13 PM

I like it here, I think I'll stick around.

All in the name of adrenalin

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: J.D.
Location: Hell and above, I'm everywhere, I'm the air you breathe and the shadow in the night

Re: Satanism? - October 2nd 2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Honestly I've yet to see someone claim to be a Satanist who isn't a teenage girl. Take that how you will.
As a LaVeyan Satanist myself, your right. We aren't allowed to harm children, animals, or anything unless its attacking us and poses a lethal threat (which children cannot) or for food (animals only). Actually if you have any criminal record at all beyond minor driving errors your church of Satan membership is terminated.
We only strive to better ourselves by the 7 sins because really they are unavoidable and keys to mental and physical gratification.
We don't believe in god we see ourselves as god of our own lives giving us freedom of our will. (Nothing happens by "Gods will" it is simply the will of the people who can't accept their true desires)
We basically strive to make the best of our lives while trying not to be plagued by the ignorance of religion or things that make people waste their lives thinking about where they want to go after they die. Really? Try to make sense of that. So instead of that we focus on our lives here while we have them.
Any other questions from anyone I'm always around, PM me if you want.
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! very good posts I'm glad I'm not the only one who looks behind the paint.
And Aversion I am an 18 year old male and full member of The Church of Satan which requires you to be 18 to enter so that disproves your statement.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Satanism? - October 2nd 2012, 05:34 PM

I never said they were Satanists, just that they claimed to be. You're the first person I've seen who is not a teenage girl that claims to be a satanist.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Location: Hell and above, I'm everywhere, I'm the air you breathe and the shadow in the night

Re: Satanism? - October 3rd 2012, 06:34 PM

and proud

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Zen Ryochan Offline
Love and Tolerate
Average Joe

Name: Ryan

Re: Satanism? - October 3rd 2012, 10:21 PM

Used to follow the LaVeyan form of Satanism (not a teenage girl). He has good reasons for calling it Satanism even though it's mainly an extreme version of humanism. I've converted to Zen Buddhism but still hold LaVey as a hero. I recommend his Satanic Bible as it has a few good lessons to teach that I think most people need to hear.

"To suspect your own mortality is to know the beginning of terror; to learn irrefutably that you are mortal is to know the end of terror." -Frank Herbert

“To love our enemy is impossible. The moment we understand our enemy, we feel compassion towards him or her, and he or she is no longer our enemy.” ~Thich Nhat Hanh

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: Satanism? - October 4th 2012, 03:23 PM

The only reason we get negatively stereotyped is because we aren't christian like main society of course, Satan is the Adversary (symbol), and because of actual what we call "Devil Worshipers" they are fucked up.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Satanism? - October 4th 2012, 05:30 PM

omg dude you're so non conformist

No, Satanists get stereotyped because the vast majority of "satanists" are teenage girls who want to pretend they're special and go against the grain. That's the truth.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Terry Offline
Canadian Bacon
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Terry

Re: Satanism? - October 12th 2012, 03:08 PM

Self pity will not rescue you.
Sometimes we have to save our own lives,
not because no one else cares, but because no one else can.

Life for you has been less than kind
So take a number, stand in line
We've all been sorry, we've all been hurt
But how we survive is what makes us who we are.

Dreamed up the maps, give me the charcoal and the paper
We invent paths they cannot see, and they're too scared to walk

Only after disaster can we be resurrected. It's only after you've lost everything that you are free to do anything.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread