TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Melwirth Offline
Average Joe

Name: Melissa

A Mission! - October 9th 2012, 12:06 PM

So here is the deal, in my church young single adults have the opportunity to serve missions where we go out and teach about the gospel for 2 years for guys and a year and a half for girls. Guys are expected to go and girls are welcomed to it and I have been wanting to serve a mission for quite some time now but I have had to wait because of the age requirements. Girls have to be 21 and guys 19......well that used to be the case up until a couple of days ago when they changed the age requirements to 18 for guys and 19 for girls, which made me super super excited! Because now I dont have to wait another year to be able to go. I am 20 right now so I am now eligible to go. But here is the problem..... my parents. See my parents aren't members of my church and quite frankly want nothing to do with it yet my mom has given me a run down of how I'm not responsible enough to serve a mission and a bunch of stuff like that and it's killing me inside. It hurts that she thinks that I dont have to ability to go out and teach and serve. She thinks that I'm less responsible then an eighteen year old guy!!?!?! She never actually said that but thats pretty much what it means. I really dont think she realizes how much this means to me, and I would never be able to explain it to her because believe me, I have tried. And on top of everything else and all the crappy things that have happened in my life this seems like the perfect opportunity for me, like an answer to my prayers. When I heard this new I could not help but shed tears of joy, like I knew that this is what my Heavenly Father wants me to be doing. Im just tired of getting an earful from my mom about it. It sucks. Thoughts?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: A Mission! - October 9th 2012, 12:13 PM

Hey, a missions trip would be amazing! I myself have been requested to go to Papau New Guinea for a missions trip :P but unfortunately I could ont fly when I was asked so could not go but, if it is a dream of yours, go for it, if you can pay for it, tell your parents it is your decision and you want to go!

A missions trip will open your eyes so much, it's so beautiful! Where would you be going?

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Melwirth Offline
Average Joe

Re: A Mission! - October 9th 2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope To Cope View Post
Hey, a missions trip would be amazing! I myself have been requested to go to Papau New Guinea for a missions trip :P but unfortunately I could ont fly when I was asked so could not go but, if it is a dream of yours, go for it, if you can pay for it, tell your parents it is your decision and you want to go!

A missions trip will open your eyes so much, it's so beautiful! Where would you be going?

Jay.
I guess I should set the record straight on what a mission really is in my church. It has quite a few differences then a "missions trip" Yes we could go to other countries but a lot of people serve in their own countries as well and stuff but what we do is we go out (in pairs, we get assigned a companion) and we teach about the Gospel of Jesus Christ and our church, thats what we do, we knock doors and talk to people on the streets and other things and find people who are willing to listen and we have (im guessing) much stricter rules as well while we are out serving a mission. We also do a lot of service as well but our main purpose is to teach.
Ps we dont really choose where we go, we called to the place we are supposed to serve.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: A Mission! - October 9th 2012, 12:36 PM

oh awesome
I'd love to do something like that! I really would. I want to be in ministery, misionary something like that. It's a dream of mine.
I want to go overseas when I'm older and help out my passion is to help others. and to help others redemption and salvation sound key

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: A Mission! - October 9th 2012, 03:15 PM

Being an adult means making choices because they are right for you, not for anyone else. I know you might want your mom’s approval, but at the end of the day, you have to do what’s best for yourself. So if this is what you really want to do, then do it! Your mother may not approve, but this is your life, your money and your responsibility. I say, go for it.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: A Mission! - October 10th 2012, 04:55 AM

Why are the age restriction and duration gender-dependent?

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: A Mission! - October 10th 2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
Because women are supposed to have kids.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Melwirth Offline
Average Joe

Re: A Mission! - October 10th 2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
Well women arent under the same mandate that men are when it comes to serving a mission. Women are more welcomed to it and for men it's their Priesthood duty to serve before then get married and have a family. The age restrictions....i really dont know, it's just the way it is I guess. Yes our church would have us choose marriage over a mission a lot of the time. Yes they want us to start families and stuff but there has been an increasing need for more missionaries so they are making it I guess a little easier for us to go now. Idk if that all makes sense, if not oh well, I dont see it as a big deal.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Re: A Mission! - October 10th 2012, 08:45 PM

So are you looking for your mom's blessing for the trip?

~Blessed Be~

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Melwirth Offline
Average Joe

Re: A Mission! - October 11th 2012, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
So are you looking for your mom's blessing for the trip?
I dont really look at is as a trip its more then just that. Her blessing? I guess but at this point I just want her to stop assuming she knows everything about it and stop lecturing me on it. Truth is she knows nothing about it and the little she does she twists up into these crazy things that dont make sense and it's driving me insane.......ugh

(#11 (permalink)) Old
AnaMZ Offline
Not a n00b

Re: A Mission! - October 11th 2012, 09:27 AM

You should be excited about the opportunity to help people, instead of preaching to people on the streets. There's no age restriction on that.

Dear You,
You can make it through this. The clouds will not last forever.
From Me.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Re: A Mission! - October 11th 2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melwirth View Post
I dont really look at is as a trip its more then just that. Her blessing? I guess but at this point I just want her to stop assuming she knows everything about it and stop lecturing me on it. Truth is she knows nothing about it and the little she does she twists up into these crazy things that dont make sense and it's driving me insane.......ugh
Sorry, I didnít mean to insult the mission work; I was just trying to understand what you wanted advice on.
There is no way to force your mom to see things the way you do. If she continues to lecture you then just politely excuse yourself. Let her know that you have heard her point of view, but she is on the verge of nagging and you are not going to put up with it over and over again. And then just leave, go home. I am not saying to stop communicating with her, but it is OK to remind her that you are an adult now and what you do is your own business. And if she continues to bother you then maybe you should spend some time apart from her. Call her from time to time, but stop putting yourself in the position of getting lectured. Stop going to over to her house as much, have only short phone conversations. Eventually she will get the hint you do not want to be treated that way.

~Blessed Be~

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Melwirth Offline
Average Joe

Re: A Mission! - October 11th 2012, 06:30 PM

Ok, I do live by the whole things that we serve people and what not now. Service is an every day thing and what we should all being doing and I see it's importance as well. But going out and serving a full-time mission and giving my life up completely (and by completely I mean no other job, no school, no dating) for a year and a half to the Lord is what I need to be doing I know this. I will always serve but this is just another part of it that I need to be going after.
And Lizzie, yeah I'm actually living at home right now.....can't always avoid her so easily as you suggest. I moved back a couple months ago. And I'd be here until I would leave so yup.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Re: A Mission! - October 14th 2012, 12:29 PM

So, in that case, you can't really except her to do anything. If you are living at home with her, you can ask her politely to drop the topic, but if she doesn't, then you are just going to have to put up with it until you leave for the trip. There really isn't much you can do at that point.

~Blessed Be~

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Elizabeth Offline
Just keep swimming!
I've been here a while

Name: Elizabeth

Re: A Mission! - October 26th 2012, 02:39 AM

I was surprised by President Monson's announcement too! I think you should apply to go on a mission. Sometimes you have to do what is best for you. It isn't like you would be leaving tomorrow either, it can take months to get a calling, plus the church has received 7,000 applications this week for missions and it might be longer. This will sort themselves out. I think heavenly father will guide you along and you will be blessed!

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Melwirth Offline
Average Joe

Re: A Mission! - October 26th 2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
I was surprised by President Monson's announcement too! I think you should apply to go on a mission. Sometimes you have to do what is best for you. It isn't like you would be leaving tomorrow either, it can take months to get a calling, plus the church has received 7,000 applications this week for missions and it might be longer. This will sort themselves out. I think heavenly father will guide you along and you will be blessed!
Oh my gosh! Finally someone who really understands! and just a side note the church didn't receive 7,000 applicants....thats how many applications were opened and started....still crazy I know. I know it's still gonna take a while, im not even actually gonna start my papers for another month or two, I need to earn at least a little bit of money before I go, my mom already said she isnt going to give me a penny, which doesnt come as a surprise...she told me that years ago.
Her comments to me are still driving me nuts.....I really do wish I could go tomorrow though lol

(#17 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: A Mission! - October 26th 2012, 11:36 PM

Hey Melissa,

If this is something that you are feeling called to do with every ounce of your being than you should do it. I understand to a certain extent what it is like to not have the full support of some friends and/or family when it comes to religious belief but that should not stop you from doing something that you feel called to do. Also, why don't you try praying about it and seek some guidance from God? I know that when I am struggling with a decision I will pray about it and that can help me tremendously. Another thing that you could consider is talking to some people in your church who are in charge of the mission and seek counsel with them. While your parents might not support you in this that does not mean that you cannot find support from people within your church and that could help you quite a bit.

I think something to consider is that part of being an adult is making decisions that do not always make your parents 'happy'. If you are being called to do this by God then I think you should do this because if you do not do that you might regret it in the end.

I really hope this helped.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Melwirth Offline
Average Joe

Re: A Mission! - October 27th 2012, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:BreakingBeautifully:. View Post
Hey Melissa,

If this is something that you are feeling called to do with every ounce of your being than you should do it. I understand to a certain extent what it is like to not have the full support of some friends and/or family when it comes to religious belief but that should not stop you from doing something that you feel called to do. Also, why don't you try praying about it and seek some guidance from God? I know that when I am struggling with a decision I will pray about it and that can help me tremendously. Another thing that you could consider is talking to some people in your church who are in charge of the mission and seek counsel with them. While your parents might not support you in this that does not mean that you cannot find support from people within your church and that could help you quite a bit.

I think something to consider is that part of being an adult is making decisions that do not always make your parents 'happy'. If you are being called to do this by God then I think you should do this because if you do not do that you might regret it in the end.

I really hope this helped.
Thank you so much, you are so sweet. And yes I feel as if I have been called to this work. I am so lucky to have such supportive members of my church. And I know that they are willing to help me finance it but I wouldn't feel right accepting that help unless I know that I have also done my part and and did my best to fund as much as I could and let them help with the rest. Over time I am becoming more and more reliant on God to guide me through it. Obviously if he wants me to go he will help me though it and make a way, I just have to keep reminding myself of that.
Thank you for your encouraging words. I appreciate it.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Bloxy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: A Mission! - October 28th 2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melwirth View Post
So here is the deal, in my church young single adults have the opportunity to serve missions where we go out and teach about the gospel for 2 years for guys and a year and a half for girls. Guys are expected to go and girls are welcomed to it and I have been wanting to serve a mission for quite some time now but I have had to wait because of the age requirements. Girls have to be 21 and guys 19......well that used to be the case up until a couple of days ago when they changed the age requirements to 18 for guys and 19 for girls, which made me super super excited! Because now I dont have to wait another year to be able to go. I am 20 right now so I am now eligible to go. But here is the problem..... my parents. See my parents aren't members of my church and quite frankly want nothing to do with it yet my mom has given me a run down of how I'm not responsible enough to serve a mission and a bunch of stuff like that and it's killing me inside. It hurts that she thinks that I dont have to ability to go out and teach and serve. She thinks that I'm less responsible then an eighteen year old guy!!?!?! She never actually said that but thats pretty much what it means. I really dont think she realizes how much this means to me, and I would never be able to explain it to her because believe me, I have tried. And on top of everything else and all the crappy things that have happened in my life this seems like the perfect opportunity for me, like an answer to my prayers. When I heard this new I could not help but shed tears of joy, like I knew that this is what my Heavenly Father wants me to be doing. Im just tired of getting an earful from my mom about it. It sucks. Thoughts?
Well, I don't particularly agree with going out to try to convince other people of what you believe. Having said that, I think that, if that is what you want to do, your mission is at home. Why do you belong to a different church than your parents? Why don't they believe? I think you need to answer some of these questions for yourself before you can answer questions for other people.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Melwirth Offline
Average Joe

Re: A Mission! - October 31st 2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloxy View Post
Well, I don't particularly agree with going out to try to convince other people of what you believe. Having said that, I think that, if that is what you want to do, your mission is at home. Why do you belong to a different church than your parents? Why don't they believe? I think you need to answer some of these questions for yourself before you can answer questions for other people.
For one, my parents don't have a church. The don't go to any church nor do they have a religion. My mom wants nothing to do with the church, like I said she mocks it. When it comes to people like her you have to learn when to just back off. Some people will never listen or even want to listen, people have their own agency and can do what they want to do, I have no control over that. I dont really know what you mean by my mission is at home. There is nothing for me here, not much for me to do. And you ask me, why dont they believe and bottom line....they lack faith. And I dont see what answering these questions for myself has to do with anyone else or my ability to teach. And what is wrong with teaching someone about the church and our beliefs? We aren't tying people to chairs making them listen, we aren't cornering people and making them listen, we aren't being forceful, we are politely asking people if they would like to learn about the church and if they say yes then we teach them, if they say no we move on. A lot of our teaching is done with people who have asked to learn more. There is nothing wrong with what we do.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
xLucettax Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: A Mission! - November 2nd 2012, 05:36 AM

I'm excited about the new age requirements president Monson has put up too!
If your mom is giving you an earful, just explain to her "mom when you say this, it makes me feel _____". If she doesn't understand after that, then it's her issue I guess. DON'T let anyone discourage you from going on your mission.
You'll be a great missionary

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Melwirth Offline
Average Joe

Re: A Mission! - November 2nd 2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xLucettax View Post
I'm excited about the new age requirements president Monson has put up too!
If your mom is giving you an earful, just explain to her "mom when you say this, it makes me feel _____". If she doesn't understand after that, then it's her issue I guess. DON'T let anyone discourage you from going on your mission.
You'll be a great missionary
Yeah, try and not let her get to me. Thank you for being supportive, I appreciate it a lot.

Closed Thread