TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Manasvi
Location: A hidden, faaaaar-off world where people love each other and everything is just perfect. :)

Question Just a few questions. - November 30th 2012, 09:27 AM

From as far as I can recollect, I have always been fascinated by Wiccan and Voodoo, but my parents always told me that these were/are 'evil beliefs'.
So basically, I just wanted to know the difference between Wiccan, Voodoo, Paganism and Satanism.
I've heard the words frequently but never got to know their exact meanings.
Also, are any of you following these beliefs?
I've always considered myself as an agnostic but I'd definitely like to know about rituals of the above mentioned religions. Oh and is black magic same as Voodoo?
Thanks.
xx

All we can do is Keep Breathing...!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Just a few questions. - November 30th 2012, 12:18 PM

Paganism basically is just a term used to define any religion with more than one deity, usually those before Christanization. Newer religions (like Wicca) that are based on the old religions that are considered pagan are called neopagan.

Voodoo is not black magic. Voodoo is the belief in one God called Bondye, and the spirits associated with it called Ioa. People who practice voodoo make offerings to the Ioa to help them with a specific aspect of their lives, normal voodoo involves none of the things you see in movies or on TV.

There are two main types of Satanism. Atheistic Satanism and Theistic Satanism.
LaVeyan or Atheistic Satanism is followed by mainly atheists who view Satan as a symbol of specific human traits. These traits include things like self-indulgence, individualism, and "eye for an eye" morality.
Theistic Satanism is the belief that Satan is a deity to be worshiped and feared. This branch of Satanism will often (but not always) include magic and rituals.

Wicca is a bit too vast to really go into with just as few lines. It follows many Gods and Goddesses, usually incorporates magic into the beliefs. They usually focus on good magic, usually casting spells for healing, fertility, protection, or to get rid of negative influences.

Everything I wrote here is either from memory or a quick search on the internet. It's extremely summarized and I'm not claiming to know that much about these religions. I just figure it's a good start to get you headed in the direction you want to go.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Senior TeenHelper

Location: A hidden, faaaaar-off world where people love each other and everything is just perfect. :)

Re: Just a few questions. - November 30th 2012, 01:26 PM

Thank you so much.
And btw, if I wanted to adopt Wiccan as my religion, err...what exactly am I supposed to do?
Any Wiccans around?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Just a few questions. - November 30th 2012, 04:14 PM

There is a process known as a Year and Day, its a course of study for a 366 days. After that is completed there is a dedication to the faith. How exactly you go about all of this depends on if you wish to be a solitary practitioner or join a coven. If you want to work on your own, you create your own study course and preform a self dedication. If you join a coven they will have their initiation practice already in place for you to follow.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Just a few questions. - December 1st 2012, 05:09 AM

Oh okay.
Thank you everyone!
xx

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Just a few questions. - December 1st 2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOLO ♥ View Post

And btw, if I wanted to adopt Wiccan as my religion, err...what exactly am I supposed to do?
I'm going to focus on Wicca/paganism because those are the ones I have the most experience with.

The best answer I can give to your question is: whatever feels right.

You'll come across people who will tell you that you can't be Wiccan unless you're initiated into a coven and follow a specific tradition, and others who will happily accept your religion so long as you're sincere about it, even if you're solitary/eclectic. I think it's a very personal religion, so you should go about it in a way that feels right for you; we're all walking different paths, after all, so just follow the one that's best for you.

I've followed the pagan religion before (and am still very much drawn to it now), so if you have any questions or want to discuss this further, you're welcome to get in touch. That said, Lizzie knows a LOT more about this than I to, so your best bet might be to go to her.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Just a few questions. - December 1st 2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial. View Post

I'm going to focus on Wicca/paganism because those are the ones I have the most experience with.

The best answer I can give to your question is: whatever feels right.

You'll come across people who will tell you that you can't be Wiccan unless you're initiated into a coven and follow a specific tradition, and others who will happily accept your religion so long as you're sincere about it, even if you're solitary/eclectic. I think it's a very personal religion, so you should go about it in a way that feels right for you; we're all walking different paths, after all, so just follow the one that's best for you.

I've followed the pagan religion before (and am still very much drawn to it now), so if you have any questions or want to discuss this further, you're welcome to get in touch. That said, Lizzie knows a LOT more about this than I to, so your best bet might be to go to her.
Sounds better...and easier. xD
Thanks!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Just a few questions. - December 2nd 2012, 10:59 AM

I'll give it a shot.

Wicca- started by a guy by the name of Gardner in the 1950s (who claims it is based on a much more ancient tradition). Wicca is an earth-based neopagan religion. believe that divinity has multiple aspects (that the divine is both male and female) and usually give prayers/thanks to multiple gods. There are solitary practitioners and people who join a coven, which is a gathering of followers. Many would agree that, in order to be Wiccan, you'd need to be initiated into a coven, but you can practice the religion on your own. You're supposed to study for 'a year and a day' (technically one year) to become Wiccan. Wiccans oftentimes practice white magick, and the 'k' is added to differentiate from stage magic. Finally, there are many different traditions within Wicca, and covens typically embody a specific tradition. Each tradition has its own beliefs.

Voodoo- Voodoo is a religion that combines elements of traditional African religions (notably Vodun) with Catholicism. I don't know much about Lousianian voodoo, but I know that in Haitian voodoo, they believe in an afterlife called lans guinee.

Paganism- Paganism is used in different ways. It isn't a particular religion- it is a collection of religions and can even mean anything that isn't an Abrahamic religion; however, people oftentimes use paganism as synonymous with neopaganism. Neopaganism is a series of reconstructionist movements (they might not like being called that) trying to reembrace traditional religions- mostly of Europe (i.e. Grecian, Norse, etc..). Some examples of neopaganism are Druidism, Wicca, and Asatru.

Satanism can be either theistic or nontheistic satanism. IDK anything about theistic satanism and am not sure if there are really any serious organizations devoted to it. Nontheistic satanism is associated with Anton LaVey, who founded the church several decades ago. They achieved a small amount of followers in the U.S.. I'll give you my honest opinion though- I think that it is just a scam. They charge $200 to join, and a large group of them broke off and formed the 'Temple of Set', which charges $80 to join (last I saw). In any case, LaVeyan satanists are basically rational hedonists who incorporate elements of magick into their belief system. They received a good amount of publicity in the past, especially since Marilyn Manson was made a priest by LaVey. However, Manson never really carried out any priestly duties or got paid, so it didn't really mean anything. I don't think it would be accurate to call Marilyn Manson a satanist, but I think his beliefs include elements of LaVeyan satanism.

Hope this helps.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Just a few questions. - December 3rd 2012, 11:13 AM

Okay!

Thanks a bunch!

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Just a few questions. - December 4th 2012, 01:35 AM

There are actually major differences between all of these religions.
For starters, Paganism is actually an umbrella term for a lot of religions such as the Norse religions, the ancient Roman and Greek religions, I think Druids are counted as pagans, as well as Saxon religions, the list goes on. So giving an actual definition is difficult for that.
Satanism is well, obviously a religion where Satan is the central feature of worship but it is not something I know a lot about.
Voodoo I know is a pretty magical based religion, what I know about Voodoo is pretty sporadic, I know that it is connected with 2 or 3 other kinds of religions that are all African and Caribbean originating, I've seen stuff about possessions in them, and can actually be linked to Christian thought because during the era that still allowed slaves the Africans were told they weren't allowed to practice voodoo any more and instead be Christian so they adopted a form of religion that incorporated both so that on the surface it was JUST Christianity but under the surface it was also voodoo and they had like certain Saints being symbolic of other certain things. Sorry if that's vague.
And Wicca I know very little about so...
My best recommendation is to do your research, and make sure it's objective or by actual practitioners, lots of people view religions like these as practically being witch craft and creepy weird etc. I could give you a reason, but it might offend others so I'll keep it to myself.But it has to do with a wish for conversion and part of the process included making the religions they DIDN'T want people to believe in as bad.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Closed Thread