TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
cookiesamilk Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Caitlin

Question I Don't Think I Believe In God - January 1st 2013, 10:22 PM

I'm part of a Lutheran family, we're not very strict about our religion, we don't even go to church. But recently, I feel like I don't believe anymore. That sentence sounds like something a little kid would say about Santa. I just don't see any proof that there is a God. Also, things about the Bible just don't make any sense to me. First of all, Noah's Ark? Okay, so this guy built an ark, captured 2 of every animal (one female and one male) and they all lived on this ark happily until the flood was over? No fights broke out? None of them ate each other? It doesn't really make sense. Also, according to the Bible, dinosaurs never walked the earth. Yes they did. We have their fossils. You can't honestly say that Dinosaurs never existed. Plus, I believe in evolution. When I pray, I never receive an answer. Don't worry, I don't expect someone to talk to me or anything. But when I pray nothing changes, nothing gets better. I tend to look at things in a logical way. And logic shows that dinosaurs walked the earth, and that there is evolution. Is it wrong for me to think this way?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Astrophile. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Brittany

Re: I Don't Think I Believe In God - January 1st 2013, 10:54 PM

Hi.

It's not wrong to feel this way. In fact, it's fairly normal for someone to think logically and focus on facts instead of pure belief. It's okay that you may or may not believe in God or in the Bible. Some people believe in just God while ignoring the Bible, some people acknowledge both, and others have other beliefs (such as evolution/ science, or other religions that do not include God).

With that said, if I were you I'd research and do some soul searching. It's not something that has a time limit, and you don't have to figure it out right this second. Just open your heart to the endless possibilities and learn about what's out there. You'll find what you specifically believe in, and you can follow that... or not. Religions, beliefs, and feelings change so you don't really need a label. As long as you understand what you believe in, that's what matters.

I hope that made sense.

There is no beauty without some strangeness.
-EAP-

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: I Don't Think I Believe In God - January 1st 2013, 10:56 PM

No, you're entitled to your opinion. Quite frankly, I agree with you.

My family is Catholic. We stopped going to church with my autistic brother years ago. God is supposed to help us. I feel like if he actually saw us, then all these bad things in the world wouldn't be happening.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: I Don't Think I Believe In God - January 1st 2013, 11:51 PM

Its completely fine to believe stuff like that. I honestly get a little frustrated when people try to contradict scientific facts (ex. dinosaur fossils, evolution) in support of pure belief. I am not saying it is wrong to have faith, I think at the very core of it I think that faith can be a very strong thing--its a source of hope and a source of morality for many--but I think you are totally fine in wishing to favour factual evidence over just choosing to believe simply to believe. It can understandably cause a dilemma for people when they are presented with contradictions. But I do think it is possible to believe in God AND in scientific evidences at the same time. I know doctors who still believe in God so I don't think one has to necessarily cancel out the other, you just need to work through to get to a point where you can believe in both at the same time. It's just that many facts of the Bible might become obsolete for you (such as Noah's ark and Genesis) but at the same time I think that Genesis was a pre-modern explanation, all religions have some notion of how the world started (I'd tell you the ones I know of but it'd waste SO much space, so PM me if you wish) and that's fine, and things like Noah's ark can be viewed in alterations. Like I've often wondered if there is SOME degree of fact there because peoples world was so much smaller 2000+ years ago when these stories were created--they didn't even know North America existed then, so what I have often wondered is if a valley flooded and he simply collected a bunch of animals onto a boat and waited it out (or something ot that effect) and it was some how blown up into a giant mythological typed story. I think part of the problem with Christianity is that I sometimes feel like the Bible is intended to be taken far to literally, while some parts can be taken as literal there are some stories that I feel present a large contradiction to the modern eye and are more mythological than anything else. And then I feel like people look at it as being "picking and choosing" if they don't want to believe every last aspect of what is in the Bible as the literal word, but I do think that as long as core fundamentals are there it is entirely possible to be a Christian without taking things like the tale Noah's ark super literally (hence why I am suggesting a facet of HOW it could be true and just blown out of proportion).
That being said, I have chosen not to believe in a God, so I am not about to insist you believe in a God if you feel like what you think vs. what you would otherwise like to believe is to big of a contradiction to remain a believer. I am just trying to present an alternate in which they can co-exist. I think that being an atheist (or agnostic) in this day and age is perfectly acceptable. It doesn't make you evil or without morals or guidance. It doesn't hurt to not believe in a heaven because it doesn't mean I am going to hell in my mind, just that I die and that's the end of it (though I am more agnostic cause I do somewhat believe that there is SOMETHING after death, it's just not a heaven in the Judeo-Christian sense and it just has nothing do to with Karma or sin for me). So I do think it is possible to be without organized religion. I think part of the problem is that there is still a tendency for people to see non-organized religions as disorganized and barbaric or not legitimate (take your pick, but I have come across many people who struggle with the conception of leaving a religion with formal congregations such as Christianity because I do think that the sense of a community like that does help, it is comforting. But I am rambling here. I am hoping that at least something helped and if you need to talk more PM me any time ok

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#5 (permalink)) Old
~Divergent~ Offline
Struggling again.
I've been here a while

Name: Hailey

Re: I Don't Think I Believe In God - January 1st 2013, 11:56 PM

There's nothing wrong with it at all. If you don't believe it, you don't believe it. No one can make you believe something that you think isn't logical. And honestly, I feel the same way.

Member since 9/27/12
Buddy since 9/14/13

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: I Don't Think I Believe In God - January 2nd 2013, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesamilk View Post
I'm part of a Lutheran family, we're not very strict about our religion, we don't even go to church. But recently, I feel like I don't believe anymore. That sentence sounds like something a little kid would say about Santa. I just don't see any proof that there is a God. Also, things about the Bible just don't make any sense to me. First of all, Noah's Ark? Okay, so this guy built an ark, captured 2 of every animal (one female and one male) and they all lived on this ark happily until the flood was over? No fights broke out? None of them ate each other? It doesn't really make sense. Also, according to the Bible, dinosaurs never walked the earth. Yes they did. We have their fossils. You can't honestly say that Dinosaurs never existed. Plus, I believe in evolution. When I pray, I never receive an answer. Don't worry, I don't expect someone to talk to me or anything. But when I pray nothing changes, nothing gets better. I tend to look at things in a logical way. And logic shows that dinosaurs walked the earth, and that there is evolution. Is it wrong for me to think this way?
I, personally, don't think there is anything wrong in thinking that way. In fact, I think it is commendable for you to step out of what you've been introduce to as a kid. However, there are some misconceptions in your post (I am a weak-atheist, so please understand I am not siding with religion, I'm just giving you more to think about as I think it's good for people to be honest with themselves).

1) The questions about Noah's ark would like be followed with the circular argument, "God is all powerful, so he could have prevented those things."

2) Dinosaurs did exist in the Bible. In fact, the creation museum shows dinosaurs. Creationists just believe that dinosaurs walked with mankind.

3) Believing in a deity and evolution don't necessarily have to be opposed to each other. God could have caused evolution. Also, there is a lot of debate about the literal nature of the old testament, I think you might look into exploring other branches of Christianity or speaking to an elder or something before leaving your religion.

4) As far as prayer goes, here's my quarrel with it. A) God does what every he wants. B) We can pray for whatever we want, but because both of those are true means no matter what we pray for, god will answer however he wants to answer.

My honest advice is to actually research your questions before concluding, "Christianity is stupid and incompatible with science." I, personally, didn't find my need for empirical evidence satisfied by Christianity, but that doesn't mean you won't. I just don't think someone should leave a religion based on small quarrels with their religion and not research it. It is good to question, but finding truth isn't about questioning, it's researching your questions. So, seek a Pastor, and Elder, and read some books. There's nothing wrong with the way you feel, but it's intellectually dishonest to yourself not to research it before leaving your faith.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
Our life is what we make it
I've been here a while

Name: Nick (Or Nico)

Re: I Don't Think I Believe In God - January 2nd 2013, 04:46 AM

You're free to choose any system of belief or theology, or lack thereof, that you feel is right. Currently, I don't have a religion. I believe a higher being exists, but I don't believe in any of the superstitious nonsense of the Bible, or any Abrahamic holy book.

I'm currently studying several alternative religions, and I would encourage you to do likewise. If after searching, you don't believe in a higher power, then that's fine.

You can be good, moral, and happy without God.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Breathe~me Offline
Average Joe

Name: Janine

Re: I Don't Think I Believe In God - January 2nd 2013, 01:31 PM

the religion you choose is your choice so if you dont feel like you believe in god you can adopt another religious figure into your life or you can become agnostic (meaning you don't believe that there is enough evidence to disprove or approve god's existence ) or an atheist ( dont believe in god at all ). Maybe religion may be something you find later in life... Just don't feel rushed to make a choice.

~ Words scar, Rumors destroy and bullies kill ~
~ I'm just another nobody.
~ You can't tell how much suffering is on a face that's always smiling </3
~ Be my friend.
hold me.
wrap me up.
unfold me.
I am small and needy.
Warm me up and breathe me.

❤❤❤
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subscribe to me on Youtube <3 http://www.youtube.com/user/xJustAnotherNobodyx1
Or follow me on DeviantArt
http://lostinfragility.deviantart.com/
  Send a message via MSN to Breathe~me  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: I Don't Think I Believe In God - January 2nd 2013, 04:18 PM

I am going to jump on the bandwagon and agree with everyone else. While it is nice to have the same belief system as your family, its not required by any means. Religion and spirituality is a personal, private choice for you to make. Its a journey that you have to take alone. So this particular set of beliefs doesn't feel right to you? That is completely OK. There are so manny different belief systems out there. Why not try writing down what you do believe. Do you think there is a God (and not just a Christian one)? A higher purpose to life? What kind of afterlife do you think exists? Do you believe in Karma? So on and so forth.... You need to find out what works for you, and what feels right in your own heart.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#10 (permalink)) Old
linnea__ Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I Don't Think I Believe In God - January 13th 2013, 09:28 PM

I think it's healthy for you to question your belief every once in a while. If you believe, you'll be even more confident in your belief, if you don't believe then you'll feel better not living a way that isn't you

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: I Don't Think I Believe In God - January 14th 2013, 11:14 AM

Question whatever you may, much the same in regards to belief.
Simply do not allow anyone to define your own beliefs or tell you what is "right". Your beliefs are your own, private matter. You in no means have to go back to your former beliefs or maintain your current ones if they simply don't sit with you.

One million miles away...

(#12 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: I Don't Think I Believe In God - January 15th 2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesamilk View Post
Is it wrong for me to think this way?
Nope, congratulations on thinking for yourself and not just accepting whatever is told to you. No need to pretend to believe in something you don't, especially when it doesn't even bring you presents on Christmas.

~Cody

Normal User

Closed Thread