TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
OnTheArrow Offline
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
OnTheArrow's Avatar
 
Name: Gloria O'Brian
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Dallas, TX, USA

Posts: 7
Join Date: July 10th 2012

Question Christianity and Sex Before Marriage...What do you think? - January 16th 2013, 06:11 PM

I don't want to state my views, one way or the other because I want to hear what others think on this topic...

What is your opinion of Christians having sex before marriage?
Do you think it is "against the bible" or do you think in our modern world, it is acceptable for a Christian to have sex before marriage?
Do you think a Christian that has sex before marriage is going to hell?
   
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Lizzie's Avatar
 
Name: Lizzie
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 4,700
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Christianity and Sex Before Marriage...What do you think? - January 16th 2013, 06:51 PM

Disclaimer: I am not Christian, so this is coming from a non-Christian viewpoint.

What is your opinion of Christians having sex before marriage?

Personally, I don’t have a problem with it as long as they are mature and safe about it. But, the Christian faith preaches against it. If you consider yourself Christian, I think you should follow what you believe. If you want to be Christian, to me, you don’t get to pick and choose what things you get to believe and what think you don’t, you either follow the religion or you don’t.

Do you think it is "against the bible" or do you think in our modern world, it is acceptable for a Christian to have sex before marriage?

It makes sense why this rule is in place. Having a child in a marriage creates a much more stable environment for the child to grow up in, they are more likely to do better in school, they are more likely to not live in poverty, they are less likely to be abused, etc. Certainly there are benefits to having children within a solid partnership. So it makes sense why it’s preached, even in today’s times.

Do you think a Christian that has sex before marriage is going to hell?

Christians feel that if you don’t obey the church you are going to hell. That is their belief system. So, if a Christian has sex before marriage I do feel that they are betraying their faith.

But, I am not Christian. I do not think that sex outside of marriage is the worst possible thing and if practiced safely it can be completely normal and natural between partners (married or not.)




Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~
   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
ThisWillDestroyYou's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Gender: Male
Location: USA

Posts: 1,050
Join Date: July 5th 2011

Re: Christianity and Sex Before Marriage...What do you think? - January 16th 2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheArrow View Post
I don't want to state my views, one way or the other because I want to hear what others think on this topic...

What is your opinion of Christians having sex before marriage?
Do you think it is "against the bible" or do you think in our modern world, it is acceptable for a Christian to have sex before marriage?
Do you think a Christian that has sex before marriage is going to hell?
I'm not a Christian, but here is my take on it. As long as you love someone, it is okay to have sex with them, biblically speaking.

Generally when the Bible speaks of things with lust, etc. it is in reference to someone's wife. In the Old Testament, a woman was considered the property of her Father until she married. Thus, back then, sleeping with another woman was STEALING someone's property, which is why they were told to marry if they slept together.

Even when Jesus says not to look at another woman with lust, the word use for woman is translated more often as the word "wife," which in the context of adultery, makes more sense.

In the New Testament, when it is speaking of sexual immorality, they are referencing defiling your body to temple prostitutes. It was considered a Pagan worship. Even in Acts, Paul gives only TWO commands to new Christians: "to abstain from things offered to idols, and blood, and a strangled thing, and whoredom; from which keeping yourselves, ye shall do well; be strong!'" (Acts 15:29). The word whoredom is a reference to prostitution. Which, again, in context makes sense because in the prior prohibition he prohibited another form of Pagan worship, "abstain[ing] from things offered to idols, and blood, and a strangled thing..."

So, presently, if I am to interpret this into todays society it would be: Don't involve yourself in idolatry, or Pagan worship/false religions (those things opposed to Christ). Not to mention when the Bible often mentions prostitution it is speaking of being a prostitute against Christ. In a sense, "Selling your soul to the Devil." Or in this case, to a false, Pagan worship.

It then makes sense that sexual immorality, etc. is condemned. The Bible never really condemns premarital sex. It does, however, condemn bestiality, incest, etc. When you look at the law in the Old Testament, it forbids sleeping with any woman prior to marriage because she is her father's property. So, when the man would sleep with a woman, he was commanded to pay the father, and marry her because she was defiled (i.e. you stole property, and it can't be undone, so it is now your property, but you have to pay for it). Otherwise, all other instances in the Old Testament refer to incest and bestiality and say it makes the bed unclean, which Paul, I believe, uses similar terminology in "keeping the marriage bed undefiled." In other words, don't sleep with your mother (which was condemned in Corinthians -- so it makes sense that Paul would continue to refer to this as a defiling).

Anyways, what I believe is prohibited is: A) Prostitution. B) Bestiality. C) Incest D) Pagan worship. Not premarital sex, because the only reason it initially was because of the Jewish law (and even then it doesn't seem like it was a huge deal). I think it's just a matter of doing it out of love, not lust.

I think it's largely just a legalistic tradition that the Church picked up somewhere and held onto.


"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
TakeTheLeap's Avatar
 
Name: Emily
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Virginia

Posts: 1,309
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Christianity and Sex Before Marriage...What do you think? - January 17th 2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post

What is your opinion of Christians having sex before marriage?

Personally, I don’t have a problem with it as long as they are mature and safe about it. But, the Christian faith preaches against it. If you consider yourself Christian, I think you should follow what you believe. If you want to be Christian, to me, you don’t get to pick and choose what things you get to believe and what think you don’t, you either follow the religion or you don’t.

Do you think it is "against the bible" or do you think in our modern world, it is acceptable for a Christian to have sex before marriage?

It makes sense why this rule is in place. Having a child in a marriage creates a much more stable environment for the child to grow up in, they are more likely to do better in school, they are more likely to not live in poverty, they are less likely to be abused, etc. Certainly there are benefits to having children within a solid partnership. So it makes sense why it’s preached, even in today’s times.

Do you think a Christian that has sex before marriage is going to hell?

Christians feel that if you don’t obey the church you are going to hell. That is their belief system. So, if a Christian has sex before marriage I do feel that they are betraying their faith.
This. Exactly. Although "times are changing" and it's more socially acceptable to have sex out of wedlock, Christians preach that sex should not happen out of wedlock. As previously stated, if you're going to claim yourself to be a Christian, you don't get to pick and choose which "rules" you follow and which you choose to ignore. Having sex out of wedlock is considered a sin. Plain and simple.

Some will say, "Well, God will forgive me if I continually have sex out of wedlock because He forgives sins." Yes, he forgives sins, but part of being a good Christian is doing your best to try not to sin. If you willingly and continuously sin without having a repentant heart, I don't believe you can truly be forgiven for those sins until you are truly sorry for having sinned.

That being said... While it is difficult to abstain from sex until marriage, it is possible to do so. My husband and I were together for over 7 years before we got married and we didn't have sex until our wedding night. I loved that my hubby respected me enough to wait as long as he did. It truly showed me how much he loves me.


“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Always *'s Avatar
 
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Hogwarts

Posts: 3,186
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: April 12th 2012

Re: Christianity and Sex Before Marriage...What do you think? - January 18th 2013, 04:01 PM

What is your opinion of Christians having sex before marriage?
I honestly don't think it is a big deal. I find that in this day and age people don't live as closely to the Bible as they used to. As long as you are not being a hypocrite. Like I hate it when people have sex before marriage (or what ever else is in the Bible that might be suggested as something not to do) and then turn around and say that, I dunno, being gay is wrong "because the Bible said so", I don't think that you can DO things are "wrong" but then turn around and point fingers at things that others do when both things are brought up in the Bible as being supposedly wrong. Also, I think that a lot of the problem was that there was a point to having some sort of marital union with sex because there was no way to prevent against disease or pregnancy so it was just best not to do it until you could "take care of it", so it was different times. Culture has changed enough that I think it's fine. I think largely that if you choose to follow a certain set of morals (which you base off the Bible) and say ok, no sex before marriage than fine. But if you think about it people have always had sex outside of marriage. Nobility and especially royalty could get away with it whereas common folk would have more issues, people always have had affairs and been gay, had sex while the woman is on her period, had babies with more than one person, readjusted rules of pregnancy and what ever the heck else. I don't agree with having an affair, but I'm getting there. And if you choose to have sex before marriage than that's also fine. I just hope that what ever a person chooses to do they'll be safe about it, they'll be respectful to they're partner (ex. not taking advantage, not cheating, etc). But I think the problem is that a lot of the time people just choose out 2 rules concerning sex. Being gay and having sex before sex. But there are so many other rules (like not having sex for X amount of time after child birth). A lot of the rules/guidelines about sex are just that. Rules and guidelines. They aren't necessarily specified as sins (not all of them at least) and I think there are more ramifications for what a priest would do if they knew you didn't follow the rules, but that is different from it being a blatant sin where not only is it frowned on or recommended to be otherwise by humans but also by god.

Do you think it is "against the bible" or do you think in our modern world, it is acceptable for a Christian to have sex before marriage?
Well, I pretty much explained it all above. I think that it is acceptable and it is also a personal choice made by the individual. Some Christians will say "look, no, I am a Christian and I want to live as close to the Bible as I can which includes saving myself for marriage" which is totally fine. But I also don't think it makes someone any less of a Christian if they choose to do things like have sex before marriage. I would just hope that no matter what people do they be "good Christians" and don't try to press their views on others. That's my largest problem with anyone (not just Christians, just anyone who makes judgements), whether you follow the Bible or not I think people need to work on accepting that everyone makes their life choices and that they aren't all going to be the same and that judging someone for having sex or being gay etc isn't going to accomplish anything, it's not something worth making a fight over.

Do you think a Christian that has sex before marriage is going to hell?
Well, if you (and other readers) haven't gotten the idea yet from my prior explanations, I don't even consider it as something that it necessarily a sin and rather just a rule or guideline or Christians to live by, but not something that is punishable by god if someone goes against it. Even if you assume that it is a sin which is what I know a lot of people believe I think that it is important to remember that the Christian view of God is one of mercy. Yes, he is capable of being hard and even cruel (I say so because he killed the oldest sons of the Egyptians in Exodus which isn't something I can ignore. He has the authority, he is big and powerful and worth being feared. Ok, yes, if that is all God was we'd all be screwed. But Jews don't even have hell, God would usually just smite you where you stood if you screwed up bad enough in his opinion. In Christianity however you meet a God who is merciful and forgiving and also loving at times. So he's like that really intimidating father who actually loves his kids but will punish them for being bad but forgive them if they say sorry. SO that being said one o the principals of Christianity is that you can repent and ask for forgiveness and God will forgive you. I mean, I've always thought that sort of defeats the purpose of divine punishment if you can just say sorry but I guess you're heart has to be in it and if you keep doing it then Gods ability to forgive would run out. In any case however it works out in you're mind, if you assume that sex before marriage is worth damnation in hell (I mean, really, I think that murder and stealing and what ever else is worthy of hell, premarital sex is just SO minor in comparison) then repenting/asking for forgiveness would alleviate the damnation of a person who committed the "sin"




Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Last edited by Always *; January 18th 2013 at 04:10 PM.
   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
ThisWillDestroyYou's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Gender: Male
Location: USA

Posts: 1,050
Join Date: July 5th 2011

Re: Christianity and Sex Before Marriage...What do you think? - January 18th 2013, 09:33 PM

Here's the problem I see with some of the above posters: They don't understand the relative interpretation to any text, especially a fictional one. That is, you say, "Christians shouldn't have pre-marital sex because Christianity teaches you shouldn't have pre-marital sex." This is false. SOME Christian's teach you shouldn't have pre-marital sex, not all. It's not a buffet in that people pick and choose what they want and ignore the rest. It's a matter of interpretation. There are over 35,000 different Christian denominations, and I'd dare say that each Christian is subjected to their own understanding of Christianity. That is, there is no objective truth. There is nothing that says: "THIS IS WHAT ALL CHRISTIANS BELIEVE." And even if there was something that said that, people would STILL interpret that differently. I.E. the Catholic church tries to clarify what texts mean, or what the early Church Father's meant, but then you're still left to interpret what the church is trying to say, so there is this constant need for interpretation to understand the original intent. Regardless, just because one denomination teaches one thing, doesn't make that denomination infallibly true and speaking on behalf of all Christians. I can imagine Westboro Baptist Church coming here and saying, "All Christian's should hate homosexuals." How would that go over? And guess what, those people have faith in what they're saying just like any other Christian does. So you can't dismiss them just because you think you've received some mystical knowledge from god that these people don't.


"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan
   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
MindBodySpirit's Avatar
 
Name: Not Michael
Age: 26
Gender: agender
Location: Canada

Posts: 244
Join Date: February 24th 2011

Re: Christianity and Sex Before Marriage...What do you think? - January 19th 2013, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheArrow View Post
What is your opinion of Christians having sex before marriage?
I'm not a Christian, but I have no problem with people having sex before marriage. I mean, ultimately, it's their choice. Personally, I'd have sex before marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheArrow View Post
Do you think it is "against the bible" or do you think in our modern world, it is acceptable for a Christian to have sex before marriage?
It goes against the bible, but I think it's acceptable for people to have sex before marriage. I just don't see why the bible should be used as a moral standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheArrow View Post
Do you think a Christian that has sex before marriage is going to hell?
No. I don't think anybody is, even IF the bible was true. The concept of "hell" in Christianity didn't appear until the King James Version of the bible did.
   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Just Breathe Offline
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
Just Breathe's Avatar
 
Name: Natalia
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Location: Wonderland

Posts: 35
Join Date: January 14th 2013

Re: Christianity and Sex Before Marriage...What do you think? - January 19th 2013, 04:28 AM

I believe in waiting for marriage.
The Bible says that it's a sin to have sex before marriage.
I also think that it's something very special and important
you should only give something that important
to the person your married to.
The Lord gives us so many blessings
And all he asks is that we praise him
And follow the Ten Commandments
Which includes no sex before marriage.


Stay Strong <3


Sticks and stones break your bones,
I know what you're feeling
Words like those won't steal your glow,
you're one in a million" ~ Britt Nicole
  Send a message via Skype™ to Just Breathe 
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Youth Pastor Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Youth Pastor's Avatar
 
Name: Youth Pastor
Gender: Male

Posts: 237
Join Date: March 2nd 2009

Re: Christianity and Sex Before Marriage...What do you think? - January 19th 2013, 12:45 PM

The answer is it's wrong. Yes, culture is making it "more acceptable" but that still doesn't mean it's right for it to happen. Having sex outside of marriage causes a lot of problems physically and mentally.


To the world you might be one person but to one person you might be the world

Failure isn't when you get knocked down, it's when you don't get back up
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
thebigmole's Avatar
 
Name: Taylor
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Orlando, Fl

Posts: 1,668
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: Christianity and Sex Before Marriage...What do you think? - January 19th 2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youth Pastor View Post
The answer is it's wrong. Yes, culture is making it "more acceptable" but that still doesn't mean it's right for it to happen. Having sex outside of marriage causes a lot of problems physically and mentally.
Oh I've got to know what you mean by that.

I'm personally against abstinence. I think that being sexually compatible is WAY too important to a successful marriage to wait until your married to see if it's there. And yes you can love someone and still not be sexually compatible with that person. I know two marriages that ended because of a bad sex life, and one of those couples waited until marriage. And honestly I've seen how abstinence makes relationships hard for people. I have a friend who's waiting, she's 27. I've known her for a bit over a year and she's dated 5 guys, and none of them have ended well, primarily because of the sex thing. I mean when you are dating guys in their 30s lets be honest there's an expectation. And they all say they are fine with it, and they are for a few months, but then... So yeah I'm against abstinence, I think it causes problems. I think that as long as you feel ready then you're fine. Sex is not a "religious experience" it's a physical and emotional experience, but really doesn't have anything to do with God. That all being said I'm still a virgin.


"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Youth Pastor Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Youth Pastor's Avatar
 
Name: Youth Pastor
Gender: Male

Posts: 237
Join Date: March 2nd 2009

Re: Christianity and Sex Before Marriage...What do you think? - January 19th 2013, 05:53 PM

Here's what I mean. Obviously physically there is the risk of disease. Mentally can have the longer effects of: regret, the individual feeling devalued, forever connected to that person in that way, the reputation that can come from a one time thing, etc.


To the world you might be one person but to one person you might be the world

Failure isn't when you get knocked down, it's when you don't get back up
   
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
thebigmole's Avatar
 
Name: Taylor
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Orlando, Fl

Posts: 1,668
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: Christianity and Sex Before Marriage...What do you think? - January 19th 2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youth Pastor View Post
Here's what I mean. Obviously physically there is the risk of disease. Mentally can have the longer effects of: regret, the individual feeling devalued, forever connected to that person in that way, the reputation that can come from a one time thing, etc.
Ok well physically there's a risk of disease whether you're married or not. Marriages can end just like any other relationship so regret can still come into play. I'm not sure how sex can make someone feel devalued unless they didn't really want to do it in the first place. Fact is marriage is just a piece of paper giving you legal rights. The commitment part you can have with or without marriage. As far as reputation goes, no one needs to know about a one night stand unless you want them to, and at that point I don't think that person cares much about their reputation anyway.


"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin
   
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
ThisWillDestroyYou's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Gender: Male
Location: USA

Posts: 1,050
Join Date: July 5th 2011

Re: Christianity and Sex Before Marriage...What do you think? - January 19th 2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youth Pastor View Post
Here's what I mean. Obviously physically there is the risk of disease. Mentally can have the longer effects of: regret, the individual feeling devalued, forever connected to that person in that way, the reputation that can come from a one time thing, etc.
Apart from disease, can you link me to a credible source on the mental effects?

Disease is a part of culture. You can get disease from anything. Including eating too much candy, does that stop you from eating candy? It's about moderation and knowing and trusting the person you are with. There are necessary steps needed to make sure you don't catch disease, that doesn't make it wrong. People just need to be responsible.

Everything you've mentioned can occur whether you're married or not. It isn't a special case to pre-marital sex. I can assure you, I, nor anyone I've been with, feels any "loss" anymore. They did initially, not because of sex, but because the relationship ended. I'm sure abstinent people feel the same when a relation ends.


"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan
   
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Always *'s Avatar
 
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Hogwarts

Posts: 3,186
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: April 12th 2012

Re: Christianity and Sex Before Marriage...What do you think? - January 22nd 2013, 11:55 AM

There is a risk of disease and mental repercussions no matter when it is. Establishing a marriage won't change that. Disease is a medical issue and not a Biblical one. And mental repercussions are psychological. Marriage does not mean you will be mentally prepared to have sex. So therefore there are certain factors that do not make a person any more or less inclined to be ready for sex and I don't think that marriage in and of itself is some magical switch that makes people ready for sex. And I mean, really, people used to get married at 13, and have a baby by 14 or 15, it might not of happened 100% of the time but it DID happen and in some countries it still happens and according to North American standards sex and marriage at 13 would be deemed incredibly inappropriate, you're "to young" so even with marriage people will look down on it and be like "no that's not right" so I would like to also assert that marriage is not a perfect condition to whether someone should have sex or not. In the end it is a personal choice

And to Mike of Men, I am actually an atheist so my beliefs about whether or not sex is ok before marriage is actually more scientific and "reason" based and has nothing to do with the Bible, I referenced the bible in my original post because it seemed the most relevant, the question directed to me was about what I thought about premarital sex from a Christian point of view, so I focused on Christian beliefs.




Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
   
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Name: Brandon
Age: 29
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,540
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Christianity and Sex Before Marriage...What do you think? - January 24th 2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
What is your opinion of Christians having sex before marriage?
I'm not a virgin; I've had sex before I was married, I continue to have sex before I'm married, and I don't regret a single thing. I'm a good person, I have morals, and I'm a responsible adult. When a Christian has sex before marriage, I think nothing of it. We are humans. We are built for procreation. I'm not the Christian God (to my knowledge), and therefore it is not my responsibility to judge people. I can't tell people whether they're going to Heaven or Hell, because I don't have that kind of information. If a Christian has pre-marital sex, it's got nothing to do with me. People make their own choices, and I'm not going to be concerned with someone else's life about whether they're going to Hell or not. So why bother? If any religious person feels that they are ready to have sex with another human being, that's not my choice to decide. If I disagreed with pre-marital sex, I simply wouldn't have pre-marital sex because it's my life and I make my own choices. Ain't no one going to tell me which sins I can and can't commit. Whatever I decide, that's between God and I.

Quote:
Do you think it is "against the bible" or do you think in our modern world, it is acceptable for a Christian to have sex before marriage?


There are a lot of things that Christians do that are against the Bible. If a Christian claims that they live their lives solely based on the Bible, they would have a much different life. Most, if not all, modern day Christians "pick and choose." Some may follow certain teachings more than others, but at the end of the day...most Christians pick and choose. If a Christian were to come up to me and tell me that they follow the Bible word for word, that they don't pick and choose, I'd call them a liar. The thing about the Bible is that there's many interpretations of the Bible. It's an old scripture -- it's existed for thousands and thousands of years. Of course there's going to be different interpretations. If you took the Bible literally, you'd be one fucked up individual. A.J. Jacobs is an author who wrote about his experience trying to live a year "bibically" (The Year of Living Bibically by A.J. Jacobs), and that shit was so ridiculous that it's classified as a comedy. The fact is many Christians pick and choose, and just because one Christian has pre-marital sex doesn't make them anymore likely to reach Heaven than the Christian who doesn't have pre-marital sex, because there are MANY sins that we don't account for, we kind of brush them off, when they could very well be the determining factor whether you'll go to Heaven or Hell. Like I said, no one has the authority to put themselves before God, so no one should be judged when they commit a potential sin. Is it against the Bible? Potentially. However, I believe that I'd be more likely to go into Heaven for being a good person and having sex because my body was built for it, than to judge someone else. But who am I to say? The only time we'll find out is when we're dead -- at that point, you can't go back and say "ah yes...pre-marital sex is a sin." We have to rely on scripture, and we have to rely on personal beliefs as well.

Quote:
Do you think a Christian that has sex before marriage is going to hell?
I don't think so. If your intent on having sex is to go against God, perhaps. But what I think has no influence on someone else's judgment. I'll never know whether I'm going to Hell because I've had pre-marital sex, and no one else will either. We'll only know when it happens and at that point...it doesn't matter. You're fucking dead.

   
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while
********
 
Ghost On The Highway's Avatar
 
Name: Ghost
Age: 29
Gender: Duderino
Location: Galaxy 5-0-0

Posts: 1,045
Join Date: January 16th 2010

Re: Christianity and Sex Before Marriage...What do you think? - January 25th 2013, 04:36 AM

I don't think it's wrong these days. Think about it. When the Bible was canonized, people generally married between 12 and 18. Now, it's been 22 and 30. "Back in the day," sex can wait meant a 2-3 year wait after puberty hit. Now, it would be four times as long. These days, we have contraception to prevent unwanted pregnancies, individual liberty to prevent being stoned to death, and better ways of identifying and preventing STD's. In my opinion, as long as sex occurs within a committed relationship, no sins have been committed. I still think casual sex probably violates a biblical principle or two.



The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.
   
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Greenie Offline
ribbit
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Greenie's Avatar
 
Name: Amy
Gender: XX chromosome
Location: Australia

Posts: 208
Blog Entries: 47
Join Date: October 30th 2011

Re: Christianity and Sex Before Marriage...What do you think? - January 25th 2013, 06:09 AM

It is certainly not seen as wrong these days in society by many, but personally, I don't like the idea of it. I do not believe in using contraception as to me, if you're going to be having sex, you should be prepared to bring a new life into the world, adequately be able to care for it. I understand things happen, but when a baby is born, it should have two loving parents who will promise to look after the child and support each other in looking after it. Marriage is a sacrament that allows this to happen. With sex, there's never a guarantee that pregnancy will occur.


Be like the turtle;
at ease in your own shell.
   
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
thebigmole's Avatar
 
Name: Taylor
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Orlando, Fl

Posts: 1,668
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: Christianity and Sex Before Marriage...What do you think? - January 25th 2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
It is certainly not seen as wrong these days in society by many, but personally, I don't like the idea of it. I do not believe in using contraception as to me, if you're going to be having sex, you should be prepared to bring a new life into the world, adequately be able to care for it. I understand things happen, but when a baby is born, it should have two loving parents who will promise to look after the child and support each other in looking after it. Marriage is a sacrament that allows this to happen. With sex, there's never a guarantee that pregnancy will occur.
Thing is though to go off of what bumblebee said, just like marriage isn't some magical switch that makes you ready for sex, it's also not a magical switch that makes you ready to have a baby. There are plenty of 18 year olds out there who get married, I don't think that makes them ready for a child. It takes a lot more than marriage to adequately be ready to take care of a child, a stable job so you have money is one thing, maturity is certainly another. Also marriages don't always last, just because two people were married when they got pregnant doesn't mean they will stay together the child's whole life.


"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin
   
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Jack Lowden Offline
Afternoon.
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Jack Lowden's Avatar
 
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: FOR IRAW!!! ;)

Posts: 3,936
Join Date: March 16th 2012

Re: Christianity and Sex Before Marriage...What do you think? - January 27th 2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
What is your opinion of Christians having sex before marriage?
I don't care. It's their choice, not mine. I have no right to judge.
Quote:
Do you think it is "against the bible" or do you think in our modern world, it is acceptable for a Christian to have sex before marriage?
Technically, I think the bible says no sex before marriage, however times change. There are a lot of things that the bible says that are no longer correct, because it's outdated.
Quote:
Do you think a Christian that has sex before marriage is going to hell?
No. If God is as forgiving as people make him sound, he won't send people to hell for that. & As it's been explained to me, it's more of a guideline. It was written that there would be no sex before marriage, so it would prevent pregnancies & STD's & such (according to my friend's theory at least). If you have sex before marriage, you won't go to hell, but people pay the consequences with unwanted pregnancies & infections.



   
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran
*************
 
.:Bibliophile:.'s Avatar
 
Gender: Just me

Posts: 16,722
Blog Entries: 1770
Join Date: January 18th 2009

Re: Christianity and Sex Before Marriage...What do you think? - January 27th 2013, 02:34 AM


1. What is your opinion of Christians having sex before marriage?


I've been coming to this thread for a while with every intention of responding but I just don't know how. It is difficult for me due to a number of factors but mainly because the basic definition of marriage is " the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law" so basically that discounts people in long term relationships who choose not to get married. Believe it or not there are a number of christian people who choose not to get married for numerous reasons but have been with the same person for years so does that mean that is the eyes of the lord they are sinning?

I think relationships encompass so much more than a silly piece of paper (although I am not saying marriage is not important to a majority of people) but to say if you aren't married and are having sex you are a sinner, really.

As for people who are having sex and aren't in committed relationships (I.E one night stands and all that) and claim to be Christians I honestly do not care as long as they aren't going around and passing judgment upon others.

2. Do you think it is "against the bible" or do you think in our modern world, it is acceptable for a Christian to have sex before marriage?

Technically it is against the bible but I think that someone in the thread made the argument that people married at a much younger age than they, typically, do now. So, in today's world I think it is a bit hard to expect humans, who are sexual beings to wait till they are 25 or older to not have sex.

So, I think it is acceptable in today's society but I think it should be done safely and it would be nice if people would think about the repercussions of having sex and possibly consider waiting until they are in a committed relationship of some kind. I am not saying you have to wait till you are with someone 5 years but wait until you feel you are ready and have talking it over thoroughly with your partner and you are both on the same page. Not sure if that makes sense.

3. Do you think a Christian that has sex before marriage is going to hell?

I think there are worse sins that people commit that are worthy of being sent to hell. Therefore, no I don't think God is going to damn someone to hell for having sex before marriage.


|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|
   
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
RondoSwag Offline
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
RondoSwag's Avatar
 
Age: 25

Posts: 23
Join Date: January 28th 2013

Re: Christianity and Sex Before Marriage...What do you think? - January 28th 2013, 03:21 AM

Yes it's against the bible and that's because based on my beliefs, God made man and woman to be joined together physically and spiritually. Sex is a beautiful thing in the confines of marriage because that is how God intended it to be. Having sex before marriage is pointless in my eyes because you are extending the relationship across a boundary that wasn't meant to be crossed at that time. Sex is supposed to be an enjoyable thing and it can become a nightmare if relationships are based off sexual intent and lust. That foundation in a relationship will not last and can be very painful to both individuals involved in the relationship. These are just my beliefs.
   
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
Our life is what we make it
I've been here a while
********
 
Sythan's Avatar
 
Name: Nick (Or Nico)
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Location: East Bay Area, California

Posts: 1,122
Join Date: December 25th 2010

Re: Christianity and Sex Before Marriage...What do you think? - January 28th 2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youth Pastor View Post
The answer is it's wrong. Yes, culture is making it "more acceptable" but that still doesn't mean it's right for it to happen. Having sex outside of marriage causes a lot of problems physically and mentally.
That's not true at all. Marriage was created as a civil institution when the first groups and governments formed thousands of years ago. People had sex thousands of years before that!

At any time, sex can cause grief, but it's not having it outside of marriage that causes it.

In fact, according to the latest scientific literature, waiting to have sex until married can actually be harmful and cause sexual dysfunction.


When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!
   
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
J-man Offline
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
J-man's Avatar
 
Gender: Male
Location: Essex

Posts: 82
Blog Entries: 4
Join Date: March 25th 2012

Re: Christianity and Sex Before Marriage...What do you think? - February 4th 2013, 05:59 PM

The Christian faith preaches against eating seafood without fins or scales, eating any animal with four legs and paws, going to church within 33 days of giving birth to a boy (66 days for a girl), having sex during a person's period, having clothes made of mixed fabric, trimming a beard, cutting the hair at your temples, getting tattoos, and not standing around the elderly. The list goes on.

There are so many arbitrary things that the holy book bans I'd say sex outside of marriage is the least of your worries.

Some areas of Christianity use convenience as a means of deciding what bits of the Bible to follow though, so it may vary.




Citalopram prescribed since Jan 2011. Moved on to Sertraline October 2012. Currently on 100mg.
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
christianity, marriagewhat, sex

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright ©1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.