TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
JazzHee Offline
We are not alone
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jasmine

Unhappy Is it wrong? - March 17th 2013, 09:48 AM

My mum's a Christian and my dad's a Buddhist. I was brought up without a religion cause both of my parents decided to give us "freedom" to choose our own religion. Even though they said we can choose our own religion buy why is it that they don't even approve the other half's religion?

As I get older, I kind a have a negative view on religion. Why is it that they are similar yet so different? For example, RC and Anglican. My mum's a RC and my aunt is an Anglican and boy do they quarrel when the topic, RELIGION comes up.

So, is it wrong for me to not have a religion? Somehow I think it brings more harm than good.. I know it may not refer to most people. But, I'm just so confuse...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Mitch Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mitchell

Re: Is it wrong? - March 17th 2013, 10:12 AM

It's not at all to have no religion. My parents also decided I could have the freedom to choose what I want if I wanted to follow a religion and I believe my mum was baptised but she is not religious, I think she is agnostic or something - I've never really asked, but we do agree that it tends to bring more harm than good as you say and this is true in most cases. Less and less people attend Church anyway these days, partly because the idea of God doesn't have the same value as it did a century ago. I tend to believe that people follow it less for hope and now more as a lifestyle choice, to shape and have goals and something that can then represent their ideals and morals as a person. There is certainly nothing wrong with not having a religion even if your parents do. You may choose to attend ceremonies or whatever not for the God aspect but rather as a type of community bonding.
Religion is so diverse too, and you may end up finding something, for as I say, a lifestyle guide rather than an actual belief.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: Is it wrong? - March 17th 2013, 02:25 PM

I think, actually, that you're incredibly lucky to have that choice and if you feel that religion's not for you, don't commit to it. If you don't believe in a God, don't worship one.

It does sometimes seem that religion does more harm than good - and, actually, in this modern world I would perhaps suggest that it does cause and awful lot if harm.
Without it though, it is fair - I think - to say that the world would be a very different place. Religion has shaped our society...the raging question now, I guess, is whether it's starting to outlive its purpose. For now, though, it remains very firmly.

It's absolutely fine for you not to have a religion; just, do what you believe in, and live life well.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Is it wrong? - March 17th 2013, 05:52 PM

It is not wrong for you to not have a religion. I think most people don’t have a “set” religion.

But, I don’t think you should write it off completely. I think you should take some time to really figure out what you believe. And believing that there is nothing to believe in is a valid answer to that question. But, if you are just writing off religion because you are sick and tired of hearing family argue about it, that doesn’t count as figuring out what you truly believe. Take some time out to figure out how you feel about this. And remember, the answer might not fit neatly into a particular religion, you might like some from this religion and some from that religion and come up with something unique to you, that’s OK too.

I also think that you might want to talk to your parents, separately, about why they choose to raise you without a particular religion and why they fight when they do talk about religion. I think the answers might bring some clarity to your situation.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Is it wrong? - March 18th 2013, 02:25 PM

No, I don't think it is wrong at all. In a way you have an advantage, most kids are brought up with a specific set of religious norms that they're expected to adhere to but in your case I am assuming you're knowledgable on both and are being encouraged to seek your own religious identity. It can be hard because religious identity tends to be important to people whether your Buddhist, Christian, Muslim or even atheist and so on but at least you won't have to worry about potential rejection by your family if you choose the "wrong" religion because they haven't taught you to be part of one or the other to begin with. It's going to be fine what ever you choose to go with, even if it means you ultimately settle on being an atheist or agnostic. You could always ask your parents to share with you more about their own religions and see if you identify with either or... I know in Buddhism it is commonly accepted that you can be both a Christian and a Buddhist because traditionally Buddhism does not believe in a god but nor does it reject the idea of a higher state of being so you could theoretically belong to both parents religions, but that's up to you.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#6 (permalink)) Old
walk around in O O O O
Not a n00b

Name: Lucky/Lux

Re: Is it wrong? - March 21st 2013, 09:25 AM

I don't think anyone can tell you what's wrong or right, moral or immoral.
People are going to have opinions, but those opinions don't have to color your own views or what decisions you ultimately make.

That said, I would never consider it "wrong" not to have a religion O.O

It really bums me out that religion is such a point of contention, and it's ironic that something intended, or purported to be intended to be unifying is so deeply divisive, drawing more lines of separation than ties of inclusion.

Actually I'm pretty bitter about religion, but here's the thing: faith is not practical, and impracticality does not make a thing invalid or less-worthy. According to every record we have of every society of which we have record (<_<lol) ... questioning existence is human nature, and religion is pretty much as old as we are. But you wouldn't be the first to tackle those questions independent of religion, or to not regard them as in need of answers at all.

The whole question of whether it's wrong or right not to have one kidnof goes back to every argument there is concerning religion anyway, doesn't it?

xx
Lux

"This cosmic dance
of bursti
ng decadence and withheld permissions
twists all our arms colle
ctively,
but if sweetn
ess can win, and it can,
then I'll sti
ll be here tomorrow
to hig
h-five you yesterday, my friend.
Peace.
"

- Royal Tart Toter
(Adventure Time)

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Is it wrong? - March 21st 2013, 05:54 PM

I don't think it's wrong at all, I was basically raised the same way. My parents were both raised Catholic and HATED it so they raised me mostly religion-free. I participate in Christmas and the Catholic holidays, and identify as Catholic, but if I ever found myself in Mass I'd be completely lost! I have my own beliefs with a Catholic/Christian basis, but I'm not committed to a religion and I have no problem with people who are as long as they don't try to convert me.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

Closed Thread