TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Collies R Us Offline
Proverbs 30:5-6
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ally

Question Who Has Jesus Questions? - March 19th 2013, 10:05 PM

When I was a beginning Christian (Well, I really wasn't Christian, I only called myself that because that's what everyone else seemed to be.) but when I was a beginning Christian, Jesus confused me a lot. I just didn't understand why He came or who He is or what He did. This whole area was fuzzy; I had so many questions.
I understand Him now, and though I don't know everything, I'd like this thread to be about questions about Him, so maybe this can help others out so they don't have to be fuzzy like I was on this topic.

I don't want any heated arguments; no derogatory remarks towards any race, religion, nationality, sexuality, etc. Play nice.

So. Any questions? Any at all? The questions you're afraid to ask...?
- Collies R Us

"Be strong and bold; have no fear or dread of them, because it is the LORD your God who goes with you; he will not fail you or forsake you." (Deut. 31:6 NRSV of the Bible)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Who Has Jesus Questions? - March 19th 2013, 11:46 PM

My question is a problem raised by the great philosopher Bertrand Russell. I quote, "There is one very serious defect in my mind in Christ's moral character, and that is that He believed in Hell. I do not myself feel that any person who is really profoundly humane can believe in everlasting punishment." Do you think there are people who deserve eternal punishment? If so, for what sin or omission? Surely not for the mere state of being born, or for living in a culture that does not profess Christianity?

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Who Has Jesus Questions? - March 20th 2013, 02:15 AM

Well, this isn't derogatory, it's more a question based on theology and translation. Given that the bible was translated and taking the Hebrew/Greek/Aramaic words required a certain degree of interpretation and that a certain degree of understanding the culture of the time has to go into Christianity how literally do you take the Bible and how open are you to interpretation? I am quite familiar with the varying interpretations, I'd be happy use homosexuality as the primary example but i just really don't want someone coming back and requoting the Bible at me when I actually thoroughly study this stuff and I don't really feel like arguing about it and telling me I am wrong when I am merely providing a range of views done by Christian scholars (well, lots ARE Christian, not all of them are)... And to further the point, for example, do you believe in the point of view that "if Jesus never said it then we shouldn't have to follow it?" which includes not condemning homosexuality amongst many other laws that many Christians have been following. I have no trouble understanding Jesus. I know my Bible. I am merely interested in your take so long your offering

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Collies R Us Offline
Junior TeenHelper

March 20th 2013, 09:01 PM

Dear Ghost of the Highway,
I will try to answer as best as I can. If I mention any scriptures or tales please read them yourself, because I do not want to mislead you in any way. People believe different things, so there is usually more than one answer.

Do I think that there are people that deserve eternal punishment?
To be truthful, it depends on who you're talking to. For example, the mother of a brutally murdered child may tell you yes, if she hadn't forgiven the murderer, and then again, some people would argue no.
For me, it isn't my choice to decide who deserves what, because I'm not the judge. God is the judge. I think of it this way; when someone dies they, perhaps depending on who they follow, I don't know, I am unclear on this part, but when they die they either sleep or go to paradise or go to hell; like I said, I'm not too certain who goes where or whether we all just sleep. But eventually all will be resurrected, the ones considered good and the ones considered evil. And they will be judged according to who they followed in life; Jesus or the world. Those that follow Jesus will go live with Him and those that don't follow Jesus will go to the only other location, hell. This is also when Satan and his angels will be sent to hell. But the point I'm trying to make is that there is only two ways to go: heaven or hell. Someone still in their sins may not go to hell as punishment, but because that is the only place left to go.
The devil has won them, because the devil knows where he's going and is determined to take as many as he can with him. But then again, I don't know; if may really be punishment for following the world instead of Jesus, if you read through the Bible, you'll begin to realize that God has been very patient with us. He punishes, yes, but so do parents and they still love their children. If they refuse to come back again and again, shunning their parents so much, eventually their parents are gonna let them go, but I imagine it hurts the parents very badly. Trust me, God does not want His kids in hell.

For what sin does someone go to hell for?
Any of them really. If they refused Jesus, meaning that God hasn't forgiven them through Jesus, then they'll still go to hell, even if it was the smallest of crimes. The price of all sin is death. Any and and all sin. God knew to remain sinless for us was impossible, so that's why He sent Jesus to save us.

What if someone never hears of Jesus due to their culture, country, etc?
This is a difficult question, and once again, I do not know. God is a fair judge; He sees everyone's heart. I trust that He will judge those that have never heard of Him justly; "...but is patient with you, not wanting any to perish, but all to come to repentance."
2 Peter 3:9 (NRSV)
Maybe once they die, Jesus will explain the Gospel to them like how He preached to the souls that had died and disobeyed before He was revealed, during the three days before Jesus rose. 1 Peter 3:18-20 (NRSV)
Only God knows. But He is fair, so don't fret over it. Many Christian missionaries are trying to reach EVERYWHERE, even places where it is illegal.

So once again, check my words; I don't want to mislead you.
I hope this helped.
- Collies R Us

Dear Wallflower,
I do take the Bible literally, as in I believed it happened, but I am open to interpretation. I don't think I'm answering your question right, though. For example, in biology class, I study evolution and it makes sense, but I still believe God created us and that His word does not lie, whether His word is literal or metaphoric. I believe in Adam and Eve and the Garden of Eden; evolution belongs to another part of my mind. I still don't feel like I'm answering well...errr...Well, all in all, I trust my Bible.

Do I believe in that point of view about Jesus not mentioning things?
It really all depends on what it is and who and basically the situation. I'd have to talk with God about whatever it is and whatever I feel He wants for my point of view, I take it; or at least I try to.
With homosexuality...I am honestly not definite on any black and white, right and wrong. I have no idea. The Old Testament speaks against it, but it also speaks against eating unclean animals like pig, and I know many Christians that like bacon. Are we to pick and chose from the Old Testament laws? I don't know.
Recently God has been showing me how to quit being judgmental. I have that problem every now and then. Part of that was realizing that different things are fine to different people; why should I tell them who is right or wrong? We are judged by what's in our hearts; what we believe. But again, if we believe a murder I hypothetically committed is right, am I pardoned? I do not know.
Maybe homosexuality is okay, maybe it's wrong. God has shown me that I can't really know, can't really judge for everyone.
I am, however, fiercely against mocking different people such as gays and goths and nerds. Especially when it's Christians doing the mocking. How are we showing God's love if we're bashing people over the heads with Bibles and condemnation? It makes me upset.

It's really up to you and God what you think is right, but try not to bash any other Christians if they do things differently than you -- don't need them doubting and stumbling -- but I think you already get what I'm saying...I'm preaching to the choir.

Anyway, just my take since you wanted to know. I hope I answered what you had in mind; sometimes I read things differently.
- Collies R Us

"Be strong and bold; have no fear or dread of them, because it is the LORD your God who goes with you; he will not fail you or forsake you." (Deut. 31:6 NRSV of the Bible)

Last edited by Lizzie; April 1st 2013 at 02:52 PM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Who Has Jesus Questions? - March 20th 2013, 09:49 PM

My initial question is regarding your interpretation of Christ. What exactly do you believe about him? Islamic people believe in Christ. So do Mormon's, so do Jehova's Witnesses, Catholics, Lutherans, Baptists, etc.

There are over 35,000 different Christian denominations. All of them teach variances in what Christ taught, and what Christ accomplished. Of those 35,000 denominations, I would say the majority of believers believe differently in what Christ actually accomplished. Leaving, literally, millions of interpretations of the bible up for grabs. Millions of people picking and choosing what they want to believe, like the meat of a fish.

What do you believe? What makes you certain all those other people are wrong? And what makes your belief valid? That is, if all you have is faith, then what makes your faith more true than another person's faith, or lack thereof, if there is no empirical evidence?

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Collies R Us Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Who Has Jesus Questions? - March 20th 2013, 11:15 PM

Dear Of Mike and Men,
I believe Jesus is the Son of God and also God Himself, who sacrificed Himself to pay for our sins so that we may be with God forever, and He also brought in the New Covenant under grace instead of the law.

I haven't studied to much on the denominations of Christianity; I know more about Islam than Mormonism. Since I haven't studied these other denominations or even my own (I try to follow the Bible, not always preachers who mess up like everyone else.), I really cannot give much information about them and their variations. And who am I to say they are wrong?

I know a little about Islam from an AP class I'm taking, and I know that it won't completely explain their faith since I saw how the textbook did my religion an injustice of information as well.
They believe He is a prophet, which He was, but not only. They believe Muhammed is Allah's true messenger, the one who wrote the Quran. They believe in the judgement day and the afterlife. They believe Allah is the same God portrayed through the Jewish Torah and the Christian Bible, but they also believe that in these, He is portrayed incorrectly.

And I'm not going to bash their faith, because I would not like anyone to do that to mine. And to any Muslim peoples, if I incorrectly relayed your faith, I apologize; I don't know your beliefs very well.

But if there is one verse that speaks to me on this topic, it is this:
"Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you know me, you will know my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.'" John 14:6-7

And Mike, I can't answer all your questions gracefully. I just know Jesus is the truth and I hold to that. Some religions require rituals or acts to get into heaven, but I know you can't buy your way into heaven. Jesus' grace is a gift, so it cannot be earned. I just know Jesus is there.

And please, EVERYONE, these questions are supposed to be on Jesus, not what I believe.
- Collies R Us

(#7 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Who Has Jesus Questions? - March 21st 2013, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collies R Us View Post
Dear Of Mike and Men,
I believe Jesus is the Son of God and also God Himself, who sacrificed Himself to pay for our sins so that we may be with God forever, and He also brought in the New Covenant under grace instead of the law.

I haven't studied to much on the denominations of Christianity; I know more about Islam than Mormonism. Since I haven't studied these other denominations or even my own (I try to follow the Bible, not always preachers who mess up like everyone else.), I really cannot give much information about them and their variations. And who am I to say they are wrong?

I know a little about Islam from an AP class I'm taking, and I know that it won't completely explain their faith since I saw how the textbook did my religion an injustice of information as well.
They believe He is a prophet, which He was, but not only. They believe Muhammed is Allah's true messenger, the one who wrote the Quran. They believe in the judgement day and the afterlife. They believe Allah is the same God portrayed through the Jewish Torah and the Christian Bible, but they also believe that in these, He is portrayed incorrectly.

And I'm not going to bash their faith, because I would not like anyone to do that to mine. And to any Muslim peoples, if I incorrectly relayed your faith, I apologize; I don't know your beliefs very well.

But if there is one verse that speaks to me on this topic, it is this:
"Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you know me, you will know my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.'" John 14:6-7

And Mike, I can't answer all your questions gracefully. I just know Jesus is the truth and I hold to that. Some religions require rituals or acts to get into heaven, but I know you can't buy your way into heaven. Jesus' grace is a gift, so it cannot be earned. I just know Jesus is there.

And please, EVERYONE, these questions are supposed to be on Jesus, not what I believe.
- Collies R Us
I don't have much time to respond, but one question. If some people go to Hell, and if some people go to Heaven, and grace is a gift that can't be earned, and if is god is love, then why are some sent into eternal torment and others for eternal joy based on a gift god chose to give some and not others?

Lastly, I'd like to point out what you bolded. Jesus is a fictional character, there is no historical evidence of him outside of the bible and some biased writings of Josephus and Eusebius. Even if we were to take Jesus as a literal person, what we understand off him is based off beliefs. That is, whatever you tell me about Jesus is what you believe about Jesus. That doesn't mean it is what happened. In other words, when we ask you questions about Jesus, we are solely asking your opinion on Jesus since you cannot objectively tell me about him.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Collies R Us Offline
Junior TeenHelper

March 21st 2013, 08:33 PM

Dear of Mike and Men,
God's gift is free to ANYONE. But He will not force you to take it; you have to decide to take it. And you cannot earn grace, because God gives it to ANYONE who believes and lives for Jesus.

About my bolded statement,
Whether you believe He exists or not, this is still a thread about questions about HIM, not me. And I see your point, and it is true that my answers will of course have my opinions littered throughout; that is why I tell them to check behind me because don't want to mislead people. So yeah...Hopefully I explained things.
But please, STICK TO THE TOPIC, which is JESUS.
- Collies R Us

Easter is almost here! He is RISEN! Woooooo!
So...no more questions guys?
*cricket, cricket*
At least the cricket's talking.
*cricket, cricket*
*cricket, cricket*
*cricket, cricket*
Shush cricket.
*cricket, cricket*
Be quiet.
*cricket, cricket*
Agh!
- Collies R Us

Ok my crickets, I found a much better answer to Mike's question. I realized freewill but I did not put two and two together, but this guy did.

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-gr...l-and-god.html

That hopefully clears things up, better than I could do anyway.
God bless!
- Collies R Us

Last edited by Lizzie; April 1st 2013 at 02:53 PM.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Who Has Jesus Questions? - April 1st 2013, 03:10 AM

I am an atheist, so I'm sorry if I come across as ignorant in any way. I respect everyone's choice in religion, so I'm not trying to offend anyone here. I just have a hard time understanding.
My question is mostly about Hell. I just don't understand how God, who is supposed to be this benevolent leader, would be cruel enough to send people to eternal flames and punishment even for small sins, which you mentioned earlier.
Humans cannot be perfect, we are going to make several mistakes. That being said, I know that people who accept God into their lives will be saved even though they will sin. But the key word here is "believe." How can people believe if they have no proof? You mentioned that you talk to God in one of your earlier posts. Why can't God simply show proof to those who don't believe, though actions such as talking to them as well? Wouldn't that help prevent countless people from going to Hell once they die? Couldn't he create somewhere else to go that isn't as extreme as paradise or agony if he was able to create Earth and such?
One last question, if God is a savior, then why do so many tragedies and disasters happen? Why would he answer small prayers, such as passing a class your are bad at, when he could be saving numerous people from a ruthless death?
Again, I'm just trying to understand because I do find religion interesting. I just have a hard time believing in any of it.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Collies R Us Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Who Has Jesus Questions? - April 2nd 2013, 12:32 AM

Alrightie Silhouette, I'll try to answer as best as I can. Once again, please double check my footprints; I don't want to teach anyone anything wrong and I am likely to mess up...Which is bad since a number of people can see this via the Internet. Here it goes:

For your question about Hell I'll answer by pointing to the link on a reply right before your post. That website explained it a whole lot better than I ever could. Please visit that link. It should clear some stuff up.

How can people believe if they have no proof?
Another good question. Before we get into that I'd like to say that belief in God doesn't equate to being saved. Even the demons believe in God, but they still rebel and turn people against Him.

God DOES try to reach unbelievers. It may not be traditional proof as you're thinking of but without these things not many would see Him. He calls in many various ways. God will try to get your attention in any way He can. You could call your interest in religion one of the ways He is trying to get YOUR attention.

I've read many times of a boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse being Christian and as a result, their partner also becomes a believer.

"To the rest I say--I and not the Lord--that if any believer has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he should not divorce her....Wife, for all you know, you might save your husband. Husband, for all you know, you might save your wife." 1 Corinthians 7:12 and 7:16 (NRSV)
Notice, that is Paul's opinion, not necessarily the Lord's...but it looks like Paul made some insightful observations.

God may draw peoples' attention through miracles. Believe me, they DO still happen today. Just as God still speaks to people audibly today. These things don't happen to everyone. I rarely hear God audibly speak to me, but I know for others, He does.

God made nature. Have you ever just stared and realized how beautiful it all is? The birds, the trees, the sky.... Do you ever wonder how this all came to be? That's another way God draws you to Him. And even if they say, SCIENCE can explain this! I'm sure it can; science is another way God gets people's attention. It's so complex and detailed and in-tune that I can't help but think that the world has an intelligent, more like a genius, creator. I know of somebody whose faith was held over by the precise, unchanging world of mathematics. I thought about it for a second, and agreed; math is pretty amazing too. I kinda see science and all that as people merely trying to uncover exactly what God did to make this world. I see God and science as compatible, but it all depends on perspective.

Sometimes God makes use of bad times, like the loss of a loved one or a divorce or when people hit rock bottom. Something in our minds realizes that we can't do this by ourselves, or we need help, or we need someone to love us; so many things can be realized, but I've found that either they lead to growing closer to God or becoming bitter and blaming God.

God will purposely stick people in your path. They may be believers that spark your curiosity. He will try to show you His love through His people. Like I said, He will try and try and try. If you never end up by His side then it was because you weren't willing to listen. (We were made in His image, so we also have freewill, just like God.)

And He will work through little things. Little seemingly insignificant things, only they aren't insignificant to you, so of course you take notice. Little miracles. Strange coincidences. People that step into your life and change you. School assignments. Things people say. A song. A random thought. Animals. A story you read. The smile a stranger gives you one of your bad days. Just little things.

The way you tell whether a prophet is true or not is by waiting to see whether what he says comes true or not. Sometimes, if it is a warning, a call to repent to avoid God's wrath (parents gotta discipline the kids, sort of speak) and if they do repent, God will call off the calamity. That's the only time a real prophet's prophecy will not come true. But if you look through the Bible, Old Testament especially, there are countless prophecies, either called off because the people repented, or come true. They are not always about destruction, but they usually are. God will always warn the people of their wrongs and of their consequences. He does not like destroying things. He is a God of love.
Anyway, where I was going with this was that the thousands of prophecies that have come true are, in a sense, proof.

And let's not leave out the 300-400 prophecies that Jesus fulfilled (See? They aren't ALL warnings!) If the people could not realize that their God loved them, then Jesus really proved that. CHOSE to die for us! (Remember what I said about freewill?)

Why doesn't God speak to everyone?

"...and said to Moses, "You speak to us, and we will listen; but do not let God speak to us, or we will die." Moses said to the people, "Do not be afraid; for God has come only to test you and to put the fear of him upon you so that you do not sin." Exodus 20:19-20 (NRSV).
So God spoke to Moses, and not the people.

And your last question. I do not have an answer for it. I'm quite sure there is a reason; God does not want any people in Hell with the angel that wants to become God (talking about Satan here). I suppose there really is no in-between; Heaven (being with God) and Hell (being without God and stuck with the angelic traitors). I don't think God intended for there to even be a Hell. When He created us, He created us as sinless, much like how the animals are sinless. But Satan, one of God's top angels, corrupted by his own pride, convinced Eve to disobey God and eat the fruit of knowledge of Good and Evil; so we fell, and inherited all their sin. So Jesus came to save us.
Satan knows his time here is limited so he's trying to get all the people he can to drag down with him. Satan and his people rebel against God, so they can't be with God.
Really; read that link I told you about. It should explain A LOT.

This is by far the longest reply I've ever written...I hope this helped. If you have more questions, ask away.
God bless.
- Collies R Us

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Who Has Jesus Questions? - April 2nd 2013, 04:18 AM

I have a few more questions, thanks for taking the time to explain these things to me.
Quote:
You could call your interest in religion one of the ways He is trying to get YOUR attention.
I can understand your reasoning behind this, but wouldn't what I'm interested be influenced by my characteristics rather than something God wants me to be curious about? Couldn't he just make all of the nonbelievers curious as well as a sign that he exists? Wouldn't this be restricting our free will which the link you provided said he is trying to give us?
Quote:
And He will work through little things. Little seemingly insignificant things, only they aren't insignificant to you, so of course you take notice. Little miracles. Strange coincidences. People that step into your life and change you. School assignments. Things people say. A song. A random thought. Animals. A story you read. The smile a stranger gives you one of your bad days. Just little things.
So does this mean you don't believe in coincidences? Or if you do, what separates a coincidence from something God is intentionally doing to let you know that He's there? How can you be sure that these little things aren't coincidences and are actually something that God is doing?
Next, taken from the link:
Quote:
We have to go wandering on past it all and put ourselves in Hell.
See, in most religious views I think I would be considered to be going to Hell because I don't believe in God. But I haven't actively placed myself there, when I was younger I actually atteneded church for a little while without my parents making me. Some of my friends went, and I wanted to believe in God just like them. But I couldn't do it. So would I still be considered to be placing myself in Hell when I cannot force myself to believe in something?

My last question is regarding the destruction God does which you said was similar to parents punishing their children. Considering how many thousands of people have been killed in natural disasters, murders, etc, you could claim that a good number of them were religious. So wouldn't they have already asked for forgiveness of their sins and such which would mean that they had no reason to be punished? Especially punished by death? Or are you saying that God creates these tragedies as a warning for others?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions!

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Collies R Us Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Who Has Jesus Questions? - April 2nd 2013, 09:59 PM

The questions are fine, Nicole.
And yeah, I forgot the natural disaster questions...I realized it afterwards. Whoops!

Your question about freewill....I see where you're going with this and honestly, I've never thought of it that way. According to the Christian belief, God made each of us, so it IS possible He shaped your characteristics so that you ARE interested. (But is creating us a violation to freewill? I guess if we had control of that there'd be a lot of supermodel-gorgeous people running around. Ha.)
I realize babies aren't born with fully developed personalities (I do believe we are born with some unique personality however.) but I do believe God oversees what we go through, which shapes our personalities further. So He may shape personality.
Warning. This is MY opinion, just as Mike pointed out. I can only speculate about what actually happens, much like how scientists make theories. Some Christians believe the verse about God knowing us before we were born only deals with the biological/species of human in general thing. I don't know who is right or wrong in this. I can only guess based off my experiences.
My own theory has faults; if some guy's personality is to be a killer, did God make him that? I would say no....The devil's had his fingers in the guy's life, but if God oversees this, why doesn't He stop it? I don't know. And I don't know why God lets bad things happen.
If you're killed by a speeding drunk, then it was the drunk's freewill and choice that killed you...I understand that, but nature doesn't quite have a mind and we cannot control it. Some disasters are caused by God for a lotta unrepentant sins (He will warn them; remember my prophets paragraph?) but some....I don't know if God causes it or not. Once again, some of this is speculation...I'm sure He has some purpose in it all, considering He is the creator of the universe, I just don't know His plans. I don't think I need to:

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;" Proverbs 3:5 (NIV)
Walk by faith, not by sight, is another way to explain this.

Looking back on your reply, I thought of something else; God DID put a sort of curiosity towards the unknown, higher power in our heads. It's human nature to search for a higher being; look at all the religions around the world. These people are searching for God.

Next stack o' questions. I think God does make coincidences, but I also think some coincidences may have other origins. I don't know an exact procedure to differentiate between randomness and God...It depends on the situation and timing, whether it relates to something I'm dealing with or where ever the Holy Spirit is leading.

I don't recall writing that last quote...so I'm going to guess you took it from the link?
Let me repeat; a belief in God does not grant you salvation. Satan certainly believes God exists, but he still rebels.
Would you still be putting yourself in Hell because you can't believe?
I suppose by the way you worded it, yes... (Seriously, did I write that quote or not? I don't remember!) Geesh, saying yes to that makes me feel weird...
Some people will never believe; that's just how we are from after the fall.
There's the parable of Lazarus and the rich man, that kinda brushes on unbelief.

Lazarus, a poor man, died and was carried to paradise, while the rich man (Lazarus lived at the rich man's gate) died and went to Hell. The rich man saw Lazarus and Abraham (the ancestor that had the covenant with God) and the rich man begged for water; Abraham said he couldn't cross over to reach him. So the rich man said, send Lazarus to my brothers so that they won't end up here also. Abraham said, no, they have Moses and the prophets; they should listen to them. The rich man continued by saying, no, but they'll repent if someone from the dead tells them. Abraham replied, no, if they wouldn't listen to Moses and the prophets, then they also won't be convinced even if someone rises from the dead. (NRSV) Jesus tells this parable.

And now the disaster questions.
Yeah, I do bet a lot of those killed did follow God. I recall studying religion in one of my classes and we were talking about the Jews. One person asked something along the lines of, if God was supposed to protect them, why did the Holocaust happen? My teacher replied stating that she could not speak for them, she's not Jewish, but sometimes you just have to forgive.
Sometimes we just have to accept. Even if it's mind-boggling and odd. I do not know why disasters like that happen. God hasn't given me that knowledge. But if it's any help to you, I and many other believers (not all though) do realize that our lives could end in a second, and God has every right to end it. We are not our own. God owns us; He made all of us. He gives and takes away. Part of being able to accept that we can die any second is that we're pretty sure where we're going. We're in His hands, even if we die.
Did I mention how death came about? The consequences of sin is death, so when Adam and Eve sinned, they eventually died. So will we, since we inherited their sin.
And sometimes death isn't viewed as a punishment. Many Christians are excited to be with Jesus, and dying isn't scary because of this. They think we're nuts...
I truly do not know why destructions befalls good people. Why DO the good die young? I don't know why God lets some things happen. I just have to believe He's made some plan out of all this chaos.

I believe God is a loving god and when people shove all the Old Testament destruction in my face, I just, I.... He really does NOT want to kill any of us! He pleads and pleads, and He threatens because we do not listen; He tries to get us to turn away from our misdeeds. Even when He is angriest, if someone repents, He always forgives. That's just how He is. This is the God that came down to pay for OUR mistakes and it blows my mind again and again. How can they not see the love?! Call me brainwashed, call me a religious, conservative freak, but don't call God a destructive, egotistic maniac!

Sorry. I wasn't trying to preach or blame anyone. It was a cry to the world, I guess.
Anyway...Did that cover it all? And thank you Nicole for being open to me. I wasn't yelling at you at the last paragraph; it was more of a yelling into the wind thing. I just needed to get that out.
Feel free to ask more. I don't know all the answers and the ones I do know could very well be wrong, so double-check my work. I don't want to lead you astray!
God bless.
- Collies R Us

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Who Has Jesus Questions? - April 3rd 2013, 02:11 AM

Quote:
I suppose by the way you worded it, yes... (Seriously, did I write that quote or not? I don't remember!)
You didn't, I said it was from the link.
Thank you for being so informative, it was interesting to read about. I'll be sure to let you know if I think of anything else to ask!

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: Who Has Jesus Questions? - April 3rd 2013, 05:08 PM

Do you think it's possible/right to believe in the Bible and Jesus, but not follow an organised version of Christianity?

-- I hope that question works. xD I'm not sure if it makes sense.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Collies R Us Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Who Has Jesus Questions? - April 4th 2013, 03:08 AM

Dear Harry,
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's possible. You can be a Christian without a church or a denomination, and I can see why you wouldn't want to be in a normal church (So...ritualistic. It's basically the same every time, just with a different lesson...). I'm hoping I can find a more spontaneous church in college. But, I don't think you HAVE to be in a certain denomination (Methodist, Baptist, Catholic, etc.); I don't even think Jesus wanted to make another religion. Your faith in Him is enough.

But I do advise you to fellowship with a small group of Christians. God did not make us to be solitary creatures. Your group can call you out if you mess up and you can pray together and I guess, just talk. It'd be nice.
I'd like a group like that.
And don't give up on the church, meaning the Christian population.
Check my words; I don't want to misguide you.
God bless!
- Collies R Us

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Lil sis Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: no name

Re: Who Has Jesus Questions? - April 14th 2013, 11:42 AM

Why do people think juessus came back? I mean he wasn't nailed to a fucking bomrang!

Delete this account

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Collies R Us Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Who Has Jesus Questions? - April 14th 2013, 02:35 PM

Dear Lil Sis,
People believe Jesus came back because they SAW Him. Many times. He spoke with them and explained all the prophecies (of the Old Testament aka Torah and the prophets) about Himself to them.

Thomas, one of His followers, wasn't there when the Lord appeared to the others, so he said, "Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands, and put my finger in the mark of the nails and my hand in his side, I will not believe." John 20:24 (NRSV). Jesus appeared again to them a week later and invited Thomas to do as he said. Thomas saw that Jesus' hands had nail marks and that His side had the hole from where they stabbed Him with a spear. So Doubting Thomas believed.

Jesus said to him, "Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have come to believe." John 20:29 (NRSV).

That's why we believe He came back. We, today, have NOT seen Him (Actually, some people have, literally seen Him, but not all) so it takes greater faith to believe now then if you were in Jesus' time on earth and saw Him alive. I can't prove it. I just believe it DID happen. Just like I cannot prove God exists, because the proof I see all around me is not proof to the skeptic's mind.
But that's why.
God bless.
- Collies R Us

(#18 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Resource Editor

I can't get enough

Re: Who Has Jesus Questions? - April 14th 2013, 07:23 PM

Hey Collies R Us,

I have a few questions and a situation I am in and maybe you could help me with.

I believe in Jesus and I have been Baptized and Professed my Faith. Two days after I had moved, after settling in after 2 months I went to Church in the new Community. The Church I went to was awesome, amazing and down to earth. I never grew up as Christian and I turned to the Faith fall of 2011.

The Church I attended was different, a awkward feeling but I thought maybe I needed to adjust to the new differences of how they did things from the Church I was at.

One morning, all my trust, all my work, everything was shot. I wasn't at the Church long and then hearing some news upset me, I almost bolted out of the Church crying. I had questions that ran through me, disappointment, shock, anger, etc., and yet I sat there listening to them talk. Something changed inside of me, since then I haven't returned, every time I went it felt off and not the same.

The Deacon went up and talked about the Pastor and him being suspended and such. I was torn, that he wasn't fulfilling his duties as a Pastor of the Church and I was broken. How could a Pastor fail us? Why would this happen? I didn't want to know what happened, I wanted to know how could this be possible. Others said the Congregational had issues and concerns about the Pastors role and him not fulfilling those needs and roles to the Church.

It was hard that morning, we we're suppose to have Communion and I was looking forward to it, I enjoy doing Communion, it brings some self-worth to me and great meaning. I was sad that wasn't happening but instead I got shot with this information.

I couldn't bring myself to go the next week, I slowly stopped going, I haven't attended since October and I am very reluctant in going because of this. I have sent e-mails to the two Pastors back home about this, but they don't fully understand what this has done to me. I am fading away slowly.

I know you can't answer what happened but how do I bring myself to go back? It's almost like I was traumatized by it. The one Pastor back home, has asked if I have went since then or have sat down with someone there to talk to, I can't even do that now.

I don't know how to even go about this. Sure, sending a e-mail calling them to talk, I don't know if this would work, make me feel any better.

I'm grieving the loss of Church.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Collies R Us Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Who Has Jesus Questions? - April 15th 2013, 01:13 AM

Dear Chantal,
You said the pastor was suspended...Is he ever coming back?

And I'm sorry that happened to your church. The devil likes tearing believers apart. I'm sorry. The only thing I could tell you is to just do it. Like the Nike logo. Just go. I know, I know; easier said than done, but if you want to go back, that's how you're gonna have to do it. I don't know what else to say...

My wisdom is limited but God's wisdom isn't; have you prayed about this? Probably.

I'm sorry my advice is...well, I just don't know. I don't feel like I'm answering well.
But remember, pastors can be wrong too. We're mere mortals, easily fallen.

Try to go back. We aren't meant to be solitary believers. And ask some mature Christians about this; they'll probably have better advice (I am not a mature Christian sadly...I've got a long way to go).

I'm sorry. But count your blessings; you seem to have found a church you love; don't let it go, unless they're teaching you lies, but then you could always try to change that.
Just do it! ...Nike. Ha. Pray about it.
God bless you!
- Collies R Us

Closed Thread