TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
moggeletto Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Imogen

What I don't understand is... - March 21st 2013, 10:18 PM

Okay, so I was wondering...
You hear all these people saying that Jesus died for our sins. But if he died for our sins, then why is there hell?
Jesus died FOR us and yet we still get punished. Doesn't that make it all in vain?

Also, isn't the devil the good guy? He punishes the bad people whereas God just created a place for good people to hang out.

P.S I don't wish to offend anyone, I just want a bit of help understanding. Thanks

Things get better. Maybe not today, but it WILL get better

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Reign. Offline
Just Hold On We're Going Home~
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kay

Re: What I don't understand is... - March 22nd 2013, 02:41 PM

Oh honey.
There is no such thing as hell.

Look it up.
In the original Greek and Hebrew scriptures, there is no place of which anything says 'bad people go to hell.'

And no, the devil is the 'bad guy.'
He's the one who deceived Eve.
Eve, then in turn deceived Adam.

Also, when the Bible speaks of 'fiery torment' or 'the lake of fire.'
Those things are symbolic, believe me, I know what I'm talking about.
What they symbolize isn't an everlasting torment.
It symbolizes an 'everlasting cutting off.'
Or, namely, never returning to life.
Period.
It's simple really.

Jesus died for our sins so that if we followed his example and God's guidelines and commands strictly that we would have everlasting life in a new world

Don't you see that?
People aren't just 'saved.'
In John 3:16, most people know that scripture by heart, in the latter part it says that 'All those exercising that faith in me shall have everlasting life'

Also, Jesus said once 'Anyone who does the will of my Father will be saved.'

And if you do your research, that word 'Saved' doesn't mean that ALL people who do what's right and follow God's commands will go to Heaven.
In Revelations, it speaks of 144,000 that will go to Heaven and rule as kings and priests over the earth with Jesus in the coming system of things.
Which also means that this world will never end, only namely this system of things as it is now.

In Isaiah 45:18; It says that "The earth is standing even until times indefinite."

So.
I have written all that on Fact.
I hope I answered your question.

So dance if it moves you,
and jump in the fire, if it burns you.
I'll throw my arms around you darlin',
and we'll turn to ashes.

Kinda like the way you tell me,
"Baby, please come home. I need you here right now.
I'm crying underwater so you don't hear the sound."

What if I can't forget you?
I'll burn your name into my throat.
I'll be the fire that'll catch you.
What's so good about picking up the pieces?

Last edited by Reign.; March 22nd 2013 at 02:43 PM. Reason: grammatical errors

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: What I don't understand is... - March 22nd 2013, 03:16 PM

The Bible never says Satan punishes people. The Bible teaches that everyone who doesn't believe in Jesus is a son of Satan and that all those "evil doers" will be tormented by god for being lawless people.

There is considerable debate amongst Christians about Jesus and what his death actually accomplished. Catholics will tell you Jesus died so that we can have his infused grace, by faith, to do good works in order to be saved. Other Protestants will say that if you repent and put your faith in Jesus, that his sacrifice will cover you. More Protestants will tell you that you simply have to put your faith in him. Others, Hyper-Calvinists, will tell you that Jesus ONLY died for the Christians, and you don't even have to have faith to be saved. So, to be honest, I don't even think a Christian could answer this question for you.

On the other hand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E0Bqa97tUI

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Collies R Us Offline
Proverbs 30:5-6
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ally

Re: What I don't understand is... - March 22nd 2013, 04:10 PM

I'll answer as a Christian:
Jesus DID die for our sins, but it's only valid if you ACCEPT it. God will not force anything upon you; you have to want to take His gift of salvation and follow Jesus.

And no, Satan is not the good guy. He was one of God's high angels but he grew proud and wanted to be as God. Hell is the place Satan and his angels will go at the end of this age, and he wants to take as many people with him as he can. Watch out...
God bless.
- Collies R Us

"Be strong and bold; have no fear or dread of them, because it is the LORD your God who goes with you; he will not fail you or forsake you." (Deut. 31:6 NRSV of the Bible)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: What I don't understand is... - March 22nd 2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collies R Us View Post
I'll answer as a Christian:
Jesus DID die for our sins, but it's only valid if you ACCEPT it. God will not force anything upon you; you have to want to take His gift of salvation and follow Jesus.
Believing in something isn't a choice. I don't have a choice not to believe in god. I can't believe in god because it is illogical to me and the evidence is weighted against it. So, to say I'll be rewarded with something by accepting it, is rather childish. Why does god need his creation to accept anything? In fact, why would a superior being demand us to believe in him, and yet provide no evidence of his existence? Why would a being reward us for being ignorant and not following evidence, truth, and reason? That's like my mom saying, "Santa Claus exists. Trust me." And then I blindly believe in Santa the rest of my life because my mom said so. That's foolish and doesn't deserve to be rewarded. If you can prove to me that belief is a choice, then god is forcing us to make a decision. So, yes, he is forcing something on us.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#6 (permalink)) Old
snappydog Offline
Whimsical Nocturne
Average Joe

Name: Chris

Re: What I don't understand is... - March 28th 2013, 12:29 AM

An interesting thought along similar lines: Why did Jesus have to die for our sins? It's God we're talking about, an omnipotent being. Could he not make it so that our sins could be absolved... y'know, just by default or whatever? Really the whole affair seems a bit pointless if you think about it.

It's no surprise that you'll soon forget about me

Closed Thread