TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
moggeletto Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Imogen

I don't understand Christianity... - April 9th 2013, 04:56 PM

So I've got lots of questions about Christianity..

Why do we celebrate Christmas? We're effectively celebrating the birth of a Jewish child.
Why is the cross the symbol of the Christian church? It was used to kill people.
Why is god always a 'he'? What's wrong with a female god?
Why don't they publish the full bible?
If Easter is when Jesus comes back to life, then why does it change every year? Surely if you were to come back to life you'd go "Lets celebrate on the 5th" or whatever instead of going "Lets celebrate on the first Sunday after the full moon" Wouldn't it be a fixed date like a birth or death?
Why did god make noah build the ark and only save two of each animal plus noahs family? It seems a bit harsh

Things get better. Maybe not today, but it WILL get better

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Collies R Us Offline
Proverbs 30:5-6
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ally

Re: I don't understand Christianity... - April 10th 2013, 02:50 AM

Christmas is the date Christians celebrate Jesus' birth, whether He was actually born on that date or not. And yes, Jesus was a Jewish child; He was born into Israel.

The cross is a symbol of the Christian church because it reminds people of Jesus' death and what He did; gave His life so we could live, unseparated from God. Freed us from the chains and price of sin.

God is a Spirit; I don't think He technically has a gender, but I don't know. That is just how He is referred to. It also illustrates the image of a Father in a way.

Why don't they publish the full Bible?
I do not understand your question...are you talking about the Catholic apocrypha books?

I suppose judging by the moon is more accurate than our calendar since it has been switched around so frequently. The exact date isn't really what matters, what matters is that He rose again.

God told Noah to build the ark to save Earth's populations. Noah warned the people again and again but they did not listen, so they partied until the great flood came and washed them away. Only Noah and his family got on the ark because they actually listened. And the animals....You gotta realize, it was a massive ship already, but if they tried to stick all the animals onboard...I think it would a taken about 200 years instead of around 100 to build that ark. I don't think it was harsh at all; God gave them approx. a century, but they never listened to Noah.

Hope this helped.
- Collies R Us

"Be strong and bold; have no fear or dread of them, because it is the LORD your God who goes with you; he will not fail you or forsake you." (Deut. 31:6 NRSV of the Bible)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: I don't understand Christianity... - April 10th 2013, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggeletto View Post

Itz racizm innit.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: I don't understand Christianity... - April 10th 2013, 04:00 PM

Why do we celebrate Christmas? We're effectively celebrating the birth of a Jewish child.

*Christmas was a holiday created to help convert pagans to Christianity more effectively. A very large pagan celebration, the winter solstice, is celebrated the same week that christmas is now celebrated. When the Christians were trying to gain more followers they were having a particularly hard time converting pagans. So Christian holidays were created coinciding with pagan holidays so that new Christians would not feel left of the celebrations. Christmas during the winter solstice and easter during the spring equinox, catholics celebrate all saints day during Samhain (halloween), etc.

Why is the cross the symbol of the Christian church? It was used to kill people.

*It does seem really morbid when you think about it. But I think that Christians use that symbol in remembrance of what their savior has sacrificed for them.

*I know some Christians who refer to god as a female. I think its just personal preference these days.

Why don't they publish the full bible?

*Well there really isn't such thing as the "full bible". The bible is just a compiling of writings. Some contain certain writings, others contain different writings. It just depends on the person compiling the information. The bible was made by man, so there are bound to be flaws.

Why did god make noah build the ark and only save two of each animal plus noahs family? It seems a bit harsh

*Exterminating all life on earth except a small handful of living creatures... harsh doesn't begin to cover it.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

Closed Thread