TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TwistofFate_07 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Ashley

should I be going to church? - April 11th 2013, 11:41 PM

I'm a christian and I don't go to church. Should I be going to church?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: should I be going to church? - April 12th 2013, 11:07 AM

It's your life. If you feel you should be, maybe you should start! However, I see nothing wrong with practicing separately, whatever makes you happy and fulfilled spiritually.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Bem Offline
Hurricane eyes.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Em

Re: should I be going to church? - April 12th 2013, 12:41 PM

It's up to you you don't have to go to church to be Christian, but if you feel like it's right for you, go ahead.

I'm perfectly normal; it's the rest of the world that's insane.

"He offered her the world."

"She said she had her own."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ellie Offline
Oh mai.
I've been here a while

Re: should I be going to church? - April 12th 2013, 01:45 PM

I don't think it's really a question of should or shouldn't. It's whether you feel you want to or whether you feel it'll help you to feel closer to God etc. I sometimes think people feel going to Church makes them a Christian or you can only be considered a Christian if you go to Church but Church isn't really that depending factor. I believe that God is everywhere, not just in a religious building. It's about what you feel and what you want to do.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: should I be going to church? - April 12th 2013, 04:10 PM

I feel strongly about this.

It's what everyone else has said.

You go to Church if you want to go to Church. If you don't want to go, you don't.

I've known people who go to Church because they're worried about what "others" will think if they don't go to Church. I know people in their fourties who are like that. I also know a few people who have been openly abusive towards those who don't go to Church.

Don't become either of those people. You don't go to Church to please others. I'm not religious but I understand well enough to know that someone's belief in a religion is between them and their God. Nothing to do with "others".

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: should I be going to church? - April 12th 2013, 08:11 PM

I don't think that going to church is what makes you a christian. I think it is what you believe in your heart and what you practice. I think you can be a christian and never really step foot in a church; as long as you think about God, talk to God and practice the things God would want you to practice then that is all that matters. Honestly, and maybe I am biased because I have had bad experiences, the churches are full of a whole lot of people who go every Sunday and then call it a day and during the week they don't practice what they are taught.

I don't go to church but I pray to God almost every night and I think about him quite bit when I make my decisions and I look for new bible verses to help me through tough times. I feel I get more out of practicing my religion on my own then I did on my own.

So, I guess what I am saying is if you think church will help strengthen your religion then go but if you feel you are already strong and you don't need to go that is fine to. Church, in my opinion is merely a temple where you go to hear the word of God so, if you want, you could aside some time at home each day to learn the word of God if you want and be okay.

Sorry if I came across as harsh, that definitely wasn't my intention. Hope that helped in some way though.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: should I be going to church? - April 13th 2013, 01:59 PM

I think everyone else has been saying it exactly right. You don't have to go to church all the time to be a Christian. It's about what's in your heart that matters.
If you feel like something is missing in your religious beliefs by not going to church then you can go. But at the end of the day you shouldn't feel like there is an obligation to go unless it's what you want to do

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#8 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: should I be going to church? - April 13th 2013, 03:17 PM

The early Christian's didn't attend a Church. They would go to groups to escape persecution and to encourage one another. The whole Sunday Church thing didn't come around until 200 AD when Constantinople "converted" (which is debatable) and wanted to make Christianity like other religions. So, he created a dedicated day, Sunday, to be for Christians to worship. He chose Sunday in honor of the sun god. In other words, Church is an idea stolen from pagan religions. You won't find the idea in the bible. It's up to you.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#9 (permalink)) Old
2The Doctor2 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Alexander

Re: should I be going to church? - April 14th 2013, 03:47 AM

Do what you want. I personaly go every week but I see it as more an opertunaty for fellowship with others than time to be silent and sullen. ( there is place for silent respect too)

Fantastic, allons-y, geronimo RUN

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread