TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
MindBodySpirit's Avatar
 
Name: Not Michael
Age: 26
Gender: agender
Location: Canada

Posts: 244
Join Date: February 24th 2011

Agnosticism vs Atheism - May 1st 2013, 05:00 PM

I have a feeling that not a lot of people will actually care about this, but I want to make a distinction between atheism and agnosticism.

Agnosticism and atheism don't actually address the same question. They are mutually exclusive terms.

Theism/Atheism vs Gnosticism/Agnosticism

Atheism and Theism address both the positive and negative responses to whether or not somebody thinks a god exists.

Gnosticism and Agnosticism address claims to absolute knowledge, and in the traditional sense refers to a god-claim.

Obviously there could be other definitions, but these are pretty useful in terms of explanatory power, simply because there are only two possible stances.
________

I realize that might be a little bit confusing, so I'm going to try to word the more common questions in a slightly different way.

One of the more common questions would be, 'Do you believe in god?' I personally think this is a relatively useless question if you want to have a good understanding of the stance that the other person is taking. It would be more accurate to split it up into two separate questions.

Do you accept the statement, 'A god or gods exist' as being true?

This question is useful because there are only two possible responses. You can either accept this statement as true, or you can accept it as not true. It is important to note that in this case 'not true' is not the same response as 'God does not exist'.


Here is a bit of an analogy if you're confused. Lets say that there is a contest to guess how many Jelly beans are in a jar. In this case there would either be an even or odd number of Jelly Beans (assuming that there is at least one Jelly Bean). If somebody asks you if you accept the claim that there is an odd number of Jelly Beans, there are two responses to that question.

If you accept that statement as true, you have been convinced that there is an odd number of jelly beans.

If you do not accept that statement as true, it doesn't necessarily mean that you've accepted that there are an even number of jelly beans, but simply that you're not willing to claim that it's odd. Of course there are people that will claim, "There is an even number of jelly beans."

On the issue of the existence of a god or gods, are you making a claim to absolute knowledge?

This one is a little bit easier. If you claim "Yes", then you would be considered gnostic. If you are saying, "No", you would be considered Agnostic. However, the terms Gnostic and Agnostic apply to theism and atheism.

So you could be:
-Gnostic Theist
-Gnostic Atheist
-Agnostic Theist
-Agnostic Atheist


Degree of Certainty

The majority of people would either be Agnostic Atheists or Agnostic Theists, but still with varying degrees of certainty. Like many things, degree of certainty would be a spectrum. The best I can do with explaining degrees of certainty is the visual representation below.


Theist |----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| Atheist



Okay, lets say that this line represents god belief. All possible stances to my two questions above would fit on this line. You are either a theist or an atheist, and you're either a gnostic or an agnostic.



Theist O----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| Atheist



If you fit right there on the line (at the O), you are a Gnostic Theist.



Theist |----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------O Atheist


If you fit right here on the line, you are a Gnostic Atheist. If you fit anywhere in between, you are an Agnostic.



Theist |-------------------------------------------O-------------------------------------------| Atheist



If you fit Right in the middle of this line as shown above, you still technically fit on the side of "atheism", simply because you have not accepted any claim to be true.

Yes, this might be a long read, and it might be completely pointless, but I hope it makes sense.
   
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while
********
 
NevermindMe's Avatar
 
Gender: Male

Posts: 1,816
Join Date: March 8th 2011

Re: Agnosticism vs Atheism - May 1st 2013, 05:07 PM

I read this post on r/atheism already. :3

- Justin



"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic
   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
MindBodySpirit's Avatar
 
Name: Not Michael
Age: 26
Gender: agender
Location: Canada

Posts: 244
Join Date: February 24th 2011

Re: Agnosticism vs Atheism - May 1st 2013, 05:19 PM

Well, I'm pretty sure you didn't, because I just typed it up. It would be an extreme level of coincidence if somebody said the exact same thing as me.


Edit: However, I know that there are a lot of similar things to my post. I didn't post it to be unique, but rather to explain it to people who don't understand. It is funny that you mentioned /r/atheism. I posted this because of a discussion I had with people regarding why I was glad I unsubscribed from /r/atheism.
   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while
********
 
NevermindMe's Avatar
 
Gender: Male

Posts: 1,816
Join Date: March 8th 2011

Re: Agnosticism vs Atheism - May 1st 2013, 06:56 PM

MindBodySpirit: There was just recently an interesting post, stating "agnostic" is a view on logic, rather than a religious belief. Eg: Agnostic and Gnostic are opposites, Atheism and Theism are opposites. It was all organized in a slick chart.

- Justin



"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
MindBodySpirit's Avatar
 
Name: Not Michael
Age: 26
Gender: agender
Location: Canada

Posts: 244
Join Date: February 24th 2011

Re: Agnosticism vs Atheism - May 2nd 2013, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKmadu619 View Post
MindBodySpirit: There was just recently an interesting post, stating "agnostic" is a view on logic, rather than a religious belief. Eg: Agnostic and Gnostic are opposites, Atheism and Theism are opposites. It was all organized in a slick chart.

- Justin

Well, that's cool I guess. If you could find it again, maybe you could post it here. It would be cool if somebody could give a better explanation than I can.
   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Name: Brandon
Age: 29
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,540
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Agnosticism vs Atheism - May 2nd 2013, 02:28 AM

Here's a website that may explain a little bit better...http://www.patheos.com/blogs/camelsw...eist-agnostic/

I'm not sure of what to say though. I'm an Agnostic Theist. I believe that God exists, but I don't believe we have any way of knowing. I believe the concept of God and anything else related to God is too complex for us to understand. According to the website, it pretty much fits the description. There's never a certainty that I know God exists (and by God, I just mean a supernatural being in general), but I can say that we don't have evidence to prove or disprove anything. I'm not really sure what the intention of the thread is though, to be honest...
   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while
********
 
NevermindMe's Avatar
 
Gender: Male

Posts: 1,816
Join Date: March 8th 2011

Re: Agnosticism vs Atheism - May 2nd 2013, 03:30 AM

http://imgur.com/xXuNC

Not the one I was thinking of specifically, but it's an infograph, and I love inforgraphs.

- Justin



"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic
   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
MindBodySpirit's Avatar
 
Name: Not Michael
Age: 26
Gender: agender
Location: Canada

Posts: 244
Join Date: February 24th 2011

Re: Agnosticism vs Atheism - May 2nd 2013, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
but I can say that we don't have evidence to prove or disprove anything.


Well there are certainly claims that are testable. We can address those. As far as the other ones go, I don't think that it's a good idea accept a claim that there is no evidence for. I suppose that's a different issue though.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
I'm not really sure what the intention of the thread is though, to be honest...


I made this thread because I think it's important for people to express their beliefs in a way that is accurate and specific.

Of course there are other reasons too, but at this point in time I'm mostly concerned about specificity.
   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
MWF's Avatar
 
Name: Robert
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Location: The Best City On Earth

Posts: 1,709
Join Date: May 22nd 2010

Re: Agnosticism vs Atheism - May 3rd 2013, 04:51 AM

Sigh... you guys would be so happy if you truly believed in God, and loved Him back.
not tryin to be an asshole, just sayin...


Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
MindBodySpirit's Avatar
 
Name: Not Michael
Age: 26
Gender: agender
Location: Canada

Posts: 244
Join Date: February 24th 2011

Re: Agnosticism vs Atheism - May 3rd 2013, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichWolverineFreak View Post
Sigh... you guys would be so happy if you truly believed in God, and loved Him back.
not tryin to be an asshole, just sayin...
I'm quite happy without believing in Thor, thank you very much.
   
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while
********
 
NevermindMe's Avatar
 
Gender: Male

Posts: 1,816
Join Date: March 8th 2011

Re: Agnosticism vs Atheism - May 3rd 2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichWolverineFreak View Post
Sigh... you guys would be so happy if you truly believed in God, and loved Him back.
not tryin to be an asshole, just sayin...
Blindly accepting a deity who literally refuses to interact with any of his followers, will somehow automatically make us "happy" (despite the fact that you don't know whom here is happy OR unhappy.)

- Justin



"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic
   
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Name: Brandon
Age: 29
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,540
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Agnosticism vs Atheism - May 3rd 2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBodySpirit View Post


Well there are certainly claims that are testable. We can address those. As far as the other ones go, I don't think that it's a good idea accept a claim that there is no evidence for. I suppose that's a different issue though.


Well, what I believe that anything we really test and find out to be true or the closest thing to the truth is really just finding out how God did x and y. For instance the Big Bang theory was just God's way of creating the universe. Evolution is just God's way of creating species. Etc etc. We may find things that disprove the Bible, but I don't associate the Bible with God because that would be more of a Christian perspective. So even still, I don't think there are that can disprove or prove the certainty of a supernatural being.
   
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Jack Lowden Offline
Afternoon.
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Jack Lowden's Avatar
 
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: FOR IRAW!!! ;)

Posts: 3,936
Join Date: March 16th 2012

Re: Agnosticism vs Atheism - May 3rd 2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichWolverineFreak View Post
Sigh... you guys would be so happy if you truly believed in God, and loved Him back.
not tryin to be an asshole, just sayin...
It has been proven that people in general tend to be happier when they have a religion & a god to believe in. But speaking as someone who is very unsure of whether there is a god or not, it's not that easy to just tell yourself "there's a god". That doesn't work for everyone. Some people need proof. I'm not going to "love" or "believe" in something just because it MIGHT make me happier. I can't make myself believe in that.

I kinda rambled a bit, it makes more sense in my head. Sorry about that.

Personally, I relate with agnosticism because sometimes I think there's a god, but I hate him. Other times, I don't believe there's a god. I'm torn on that. Probably more atheist though.



   
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict
************
 
Coffee.'s Avatar
 
Name: Traci
Age: 26
Gender: she/her/hers
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 8,147
Blog Entries: 639
Join Date: October 29th 2009

Re: Agnosticism vs Atheism - May 4th 2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post

It has been proven that people in general tend to be happier when they have a religion & a god to believe in. But speaking as someone who is very unsure of whether there is a god or not, it's not that easy to just tell yourself "there's a god". That doesn't work for everyone. Some people need proof. I'm not going to "love" or "believe" in something just because it MIGHT make me happier. I can't make myself believe in that.

I kinda rambled a bit, it makes more sense in my head. Sorry about that.

Personally, I relate with agnosticism because sometimes I think there's a god, but I hate him. Other times, I don't believe there's a god. I'm torn on that. Probably more atheist though.
I think the happiness attributed to religion isn't the god itself. I think it comes from 1) not having to critically think about all the problems about the world, but instead, having a fall-back solution and a "light at the end of the tunnel" regardless of its accuracy. 2) the feeling of being loved even if you feel completely alone. 3) sense of community and belonging in a religious/church environment. Other factors probably contribute, but this is my opinion.

I'm an atheist. Grew up that way.


I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
MindBodySpirit's Avatar
 
Name: Not Michael
Age: 26
Gender: agender
Location: Canada

Posts: 244
Join Date: February 24th 2011

Re: Agnosticism vs Atheism - May 4th 2013, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post


Well, what I believe that anything we really test and find out to be true or the closest thing to the truth is really just finding out how God did x and y.
Based on what evidence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

For instance the Big Bang theory was just God's way of creating the universe. Evolution is just God's way of creating species. Etc etc.
...Based on... what evidence?
You do realize that as the person making the claim, you have the burden of proof, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

So even still, I don't think there are that can disprove or prove the certainty of a supernatural being.
Yeah, but we can't disprove a conscious transcendent cosmic toaster that created the entire universe last Tuesday, giving everybody the proper memories such that they believe that all evidence points to the universe being much older.

You've shifted the burden of proof here. When we rely on science, logic and empiricism, what we tend to see is a Universe that doesn't require a deity. Not only that, but a deity tends to be the more complicated solution.
   
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Name: Brandon
Age: 29
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,540
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Agnosticism vs Atheism - May 4th 2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBodySpirit View Post
Based on what evidence?
You're asking an Agnostic Theist about evidence to support my belief? That's like asking an Atheist to pray. I don't have evidence which is the reason why I'm Agnostic. There's no evidence to disprove or prove a supernatural being's existence, so it would be dumb of me to say "oh, I don't think there's any way of knowing" and turn around and say "well, it's because Earth was blah blah blah." No, I don't know for sure. No, I have no evidence besides what I believe to be true. There's usually the argument of "SCIENCE!" and then there's the argument of "RELIGION!" and I'm thinking...why not both?! Why not have a belief that appreciates both sides of the story into one that makes the most sense to me? Again, I have no evidence. I don't have the burden of proof because I'm Agnostic..I believe that there is no proof. My belief using science and religion, to me, seems really simplistic...so I don't see it as a complicated solution at all.
   
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
MindBodySpirit's Avatar
 
Name: Not Michael
Age: 26
Gender: agender
Location: Canada

Posts: 244
Join Date: February 24th 2011

Re: Agnosticism vs Atheism - May 5th 2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

You're asking an Agnostic Theist about evidence to support my belief? That's like asking an Atheist to pray.

I really don't see how this is similar. Even though you are not claiming absolute certainty, you have some sort of god-belief, and I lack god belief.

People believe all kinds of things for different reasons. Some reasons are are good. Some reasons aren't so good. I suppose what I'm asking here when I say "evidence" is why do you claim to have a god-belief? If you ask somebody why they hold a certain belief, but they can't give you a reason, it would make sense to rethink that specific belief.

If you asked me to pray, however, I could actually provide you with evidence that it isn't any more effective than a placebo effect.
Either way, I could technically still pray if I wanted to.

Forgive me for asking, but could you please explain to me what you mean with this analogy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

I don't have evidence which is the reason why I'm Agnostic. There's no evidence to disprove or prove a supernatural being's existence, so it would be dumb of me to say "oh, I don't think there's any way of knowing" and turn around and say "well, it's because Earth was blah blah blah." No, I don't know for sure.


I actually agree with some of what you have to say here. I don't have evidence for the non-existence of god, but I also don't have evidence for the existence of god either.

I suppose where we differ is that I don't like to accept something as true until I'm presented with evidence. I understand that there are people that actually don't care about evidence for certain things, but I do because I want to hold as many true beliefs as possible.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

No, I have no evidence besides what I believe to be true.
All that I am saying is that belief for the sake of belief is not a good idea. I'm not going to try to change your view, but I would encourage you to think of why you hold your beliefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

There's usually the argument of "SCIENCE!" and then there's the argument of "RELIGION!" and I'm thinking...why not both?!


Which religion? It's quite obvious that some religions outright reject the majority of scientific inquiry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

Why not have a belief that appreciates both sides of the story into one that makes the most sense to me? Again, I have no evidence.

I care about what's true in this case, rather than giving all beliefs a level playing field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

I don't have the burden of proof because I'm Agnostic.
Just in general, you seem to be confusing a few things when it comes to the burden of proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

I believe that there is no proof.

If there is no proof for the claim, shouldn't the default be disbelief until there is evidence?

[quote=Brandon;1025276]<font face="Franklin Gothic Medium"><font color="Navy"><font size="3">
   
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Name: Brandon
Age: 29
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,540
Join Date: January 6th 2009

May 5th 2013, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBodySpirit View Post

I really don't see how this is similar. Even though you are not claiming absolute certainty, you have some sort of god-belief, and I lack god belief.

People believe all kinds of things for different reasons. Some reasons are are good. Some reasons aren't so good. I suppose what I'm asking here when I say "evidence" is why do you claim to have a god-belief? If you ask somebody why they hold a certain belief, but they can't give you a reason, it would make sense to rethink that specific belief.
You ever seen a movie where a character is viewed as weak/worthless compared to other characters but one important person will see the potential in them? When someone claims to see a lot in you when they look you in the eyes, it is not a sort of truth; it is merely a feeling that you hold to be true. If you ask that person why they believe in you, they can only provide what they feel yet there is no proof that you have anything. If you haven't seen that kind of thing in movies, you probably haven't watched a lot of movies. My reasoning for being an Agnostic Theist is only a feeling because it just makes logical sense to me in a world filled with science and religion. It is a feeling that I believe in, and therefore it is true to me. But I know that what I feel is not enough to for it to be the real truth; for all I know, I could be wrong. You could be wrong. Anyone could be wrong. As long as we don't know the real truth, then all we have is beliefs and doubt. You and I aren't that much different. We have a few variations of course. A long time ago, it was thought that the world was flat, and everyone pretty much believed it. It was the truth in their eyes, and they all claimed they had reason to believe it so...otherwise, why believe it in the first place? Yet if they all traveled to the edge of the world, they'd be different. But that's the issue...in religion, there is no edge. The only edge that you'll ever get to is potentially when you die. There is too much truth undiscovered. What may seem like a "good reason" to believe in something may be a "bad reason" in the next day.

I'll comment more later.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBodySpirit View Post
Either way, I could technically still pray if I wanted to.
My girlfriend, an Atheist, says that Atheists can't pray. I'm curious how you're able to pray. Could you elaborate more on that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBodySpirit View Post
I suppose where we differ is that I don't like to accept something as true until I'm presented with evidence. I understand that there are people that actually don't care about evidence for certain things, but I do because I want to hold as many true beliefs as possible.
Well, that's true for a lot of people. I don't know a single person who doesn't have the mentality that they'll accept everything without evidence. I mean...my grandfather is like that, but he's getting old, Alzheimer's and etc. He falls for those mail scams all the time but if it's someone like you and I...religious or not, we're not gonna automatically jump to conclusions on things and assume everything is true. We need validation, we need evidence...not with everything, but with most things. Keep in mind that what is evidence to you might not be evidence to someone else. If someone claims to have an experience with God, you might just call it a hallucination. Also, a belief is not defined as a truth; it's more of an opinion, if anything. You can't have an opinion that the Earth is round; it's a fact. However, you can have an opinion that the world is flat, because it's true to you but not necessarily proven as fact.

Here's a hypothetical situation: let's say that you know someone who believes that he/she's ugly. They've never been in a relationship. No one has ever expressed interest in them except maybe people over the internet. So, based on you, they're ugly because they have no evidence. No one expresses interest in them, so it must be because they're ugly.

But surely that can't be the right answer. Someone is bound to find them attractive, right? Even though you don't know for sure, you're not going to eliminate the possibility that someone could find them attractive. So you believe in something even if there's no evidence to suggest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBodySpirit View Post
All that I am saying is that belief for the sake of belief is not a good idea. I'm not going to try to change your view, but I would encourage you to think of why you hold your beliefs.
I don't think you understand the concepts of belief. You don't just come up with a belief without having a reason for those beliefs. No one has a belief just for the sake of a belief. You don't believe in God. You have your reasons, but it still doesn't change the possibility of God existing...so it's still an opinion. You don't believe in what you believe simply just believe God doesn't exist, so there is nothing wrong with a belief (unless it's against the law and whatnot obviously). Who are you to judge what is good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBodySpirit View Post
If there is no proof for the claim, shouldn't the default be disbelief until there is evidence?
Like I mentioned earlier, what is considered evidence is not universal. Everyone has different viewpoints on what is considered evidence and what isn't. Also, what is considered proof to you isn't the same to someone else. Unless it is scientifically proven, then there is doubt. I have no proof, I have no evidence. The only proof I have or the evidence lies within me. Even if I have nothing that is scientifically proven, that doesn't mean I shouldn't believe in it because we only know VERY LITTLE about the universe. Our conception of the world can change tomorrow. You remember that quote "the only things certain in life are death and taxes?" Pretty fitting. No, we don't really have evidence to suggest that there's "aliens" out there...but the universe is pretty fucking big, so I'm not going to, by default, believe that there isn't any other form of human life in the universe.

Last edited by Lizzie; May 6th 2013 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Merge double post
   
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while
********
 
NevermindMe's Avatar
 
Gender: Male

Posts: 1,816
Join Date: March 8th 2011

Re: Agnosticism vs Atheism - May 9th 2013, 03:53 PM

http://www.patricktheatheist.com/201...-agnostic.html

That's the original article/graph I was talking about. Leave it to Reddit to have a repost a week later.

- Justin



"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic
   
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while
********
 
NevermindMe's Avatar
 
Gender: Male

Posts: 1,816
Join Date: March 8th 2011

Re: Agnosticism vs Atheism - May 9th 2013, 03:53 PM

http://www.patricktheatheist.com/201...-agnostic.html

That's the original article/graph I was talking about. Leave it to Reddit to have a repost a week later.

- Justin



"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
agnosticism, atheism

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright ©1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.