TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Describe your "rules" (all about you) - May 10th 2013, 06:23 PM

It'd be interesting to hear what ideologies some people here have about life in general. That means, what set of "rules" do you live by. Such as those rules derived from a religion of some sort or other, from your upbringing, from school, from what you've learnt, etc. And some explanation... because these sorts of things can be a bit cryptic sometimes. I'll start to set an example.

Rule 1 - cause & consequence. I believe adults should to be made to pay for their own mistakes and choices, not have the consequences of their stupidity sometimes passed onto others. A classic example is the taxpayer, paying taxes, to hand out welfare cheques and benefits to people who choose to do nothing with their lives. I believe if someone doesn't want to work to earn a living, then they should just be left to perish.

Rule 2 - privacy. I'm allowed to believe and think whatever I want to, and it's nobody's business, unless I open it up for discussion (with a friend for example). A typical example of this... is my rejection of the Christian faith. It's my choice, and sorry, but if some old farts don't like it, they can go to hell (haha, the irony).

Rule 3 - I mind my own business, and most times expect the same in return. I actually make a conscious effort not to interfere with other people's shit. This is out of personal experience, because when I do interfere, I often make matters worse. If I interfere... it's because I see something pretty nasty going on that makes it very hard for me to stand by and do nothing. It could be a serious car accident, or deliberate assault by one person on another.

Rule 4 - I don't acknowledge implicit authority. What do I mean by that? It's best described with an example, but first I'll define what I mean by "implicit authority", as opposed to "explicit authority".

Explicit authority - someone holding a job position, which grants them certain powers that they require to do the job. I can accept that sort of authority, within reason. Within reason, meaning that I won't accept a police state for example, or someone telling me to jump out of a window.

Implicit authority - individuals, probably with superiority complexes, who walk around with an attitude that they're better than everyone else, and expect everyone else to just move out of their holy path and do what they're told. They'l find any reason to think themselves as better than others. It could be because they have a better car, rich parents, they're older, have a better phone, they're "local", they have more children (in some cultures), have a "better" job position. Etc. Fuck those people. Seriously.

Rule 5 - I'm entitled to defend myself, by any means necessary to defend myself. Not up for discussion. Not a matter of it being legal or not, or defying certain religions or other people's ideologies. If someone moves in and assaults me, and it ends with me killing them, then it's their fault more than mine. It'd be regrettable, but too bad. And by this, I don't mean something like a 8 year old kicking me in the shin on the bus. I mean the sort of stuff that happens in big cities on Friday nights.

Rule 6 - I try to avoid conflict. Because I can overreact.

Rule 7 - I avoid blaming other people for whatever it is that I find unacceptable. Basically, taking responsibility and learning from mistakes, instead of saying it's someone else's fault. Because the next time that situation repeats itself, I want to be able to handle it correctly.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; May 10th 2013 at 07:16 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Describe your "rules" (all about you) - May 11th 2013, 03:19 PM

My rules are similar to Satanism. You should do whatever you want so long as it doesn't harm anyone else. I believe everyone should be able to govern themselves independently, so long as their beliefs do not impose onto anyone else. As to why, well, I only own my body, no one elses. So I shouldn't have the right to harm anyone else.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

Closed Thread