TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
livelaughlove92 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy Really confused! Help! - June 17th 2013, 07:48 PM

I've been depressed and confused lately and questioning a lot. I wonder why I'm here and why am I me, and not someone else. Out of an infinite amount of conscious minds, why do I occupy this one, right now, in this body. It's all very confusing, terrifying, and lonely to think about. No one really seems to get what I'm saying when I ask about this. Does anyone else feel this way? Thoughts and opinions please. I just really need some help and guidance here. (and please no religious answers, while I respect all religions, I myself am an atheist)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Really confused! Help! - June 18th 2013, 01:24 AM

Hey there, for what it's worth, thinking about things like this is perfectly normal, especially for teenagers because your brain has the newly-developed ability to do so. But I know that it can be an incredibly frustrating and confusing because in reality, I don't think there's a consensus outside of people who hold the same religious beliefs. That's frustrating too, you might find more people trying to "save" you because in their mind you're confused because you disagree with them. If it's any comfort to you, everyone eventually comes to a conclusion that they can live with.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Really confused! Help! - June 18th 2013, 02:58 AM

Why you "occupy" the mind and body you call your own may well be no more than chance, and I don't think there's any way to ascribe a reason to our existence without religion or philosophy. Natural selection has favored the development of complex minds such as our own, in what seems to my mind an interesting violation of the second law of thermodynamics. It doesn't terrify me to think of such things, in fact it fascinates me. Having said that, I don't think of myself as a lone entity, but as dependent on the existence of the entire structure of natural life. What would you be without the plants and animals that give you sustenance? Were it not for science and education, would these thoughts even cross your mind? And what are such things but a construct of our own understanding?

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Re: Really confused! Help! - June 18th 2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livelaughlove92 View Post
IOut of an infinite amount of conscious minds, why do I occupy this one, right now, in this body.
Out of that infinite number of minds, if you were in another one would you still be you? Or would being in a different mind mean that you were someone else?

Instead of worrying, I would like to think that the simple fact there is a you to ask this question means that you are something special, instead of one out of an infinite number you are instead. Isn't that just amazing? That out of everyone, you're actually you!

Feel free to email/PM/VM/whatever me if you want. I'll answer as soon as I can.

New blog - http://www.trueartisangsty.com/
Trying to keep it updated more or less daily as I write.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
PrimadonnaQueen Offline
left this site.
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Really confused! Help! - June 18th 2013, 03:26 PM

Its a pretty normal part of teenage life to ask yourself questions like this,
Don't worry, everyone has thoughts like this while they go through adolesence,
I promise this will pass

.....“You believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself.”.....

Closed Thread