TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Teddy Bear Offline
Soft and loveable! :3
Average Joe

Name: Ian

Question Do all suicides really get sent to Hell? - July 15th 2013, 08:26 PM

I've known many people who have committed suicide (maybe not personally, but I know OF people who have). I was also told that if one commits suicide, they reject God's gift of life, and are sent to Hell. Is it true that those poor souls, who only know pain and suffering, try to escape it, only to endure a new reality where that suffering will be much worse and eternal and absolute? Where does it say that suicides automatically go to Hell?

1.)My first and middle initials spell "it".
2.)My first and last initials spell "is".
3.)My first, middle, and last initials all spell "its".
4.)Say my first name, then my middle initial. Ian-T sounds like TNT.
BOOM!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Teddy Bear 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Do all suicides really get sent to Hell? - July 15th 2013, 09:33 PM

From what I've heard that used to be the belief, but as we learn more and more about mental illness, most have backed off of this position and now believe that someone who dies by suicide does not go to hell because they were not in their right state of mind when it happened and it's therefore excused.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PrimadonnaQueen Offline
left this site.
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Do all suicides really get sent to Hell? - July 15th 2013, 09:36 PM

According to the bible, suicide Is seen in the same light as murder, so it says victims of suicide go to hell, but I don't believe God will punish people that are just trying to escape their pain.

.....“You believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself.”.....

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Symphony. Offline
"You're the only light."
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Re: Do all suicides really get sent to Hell? - July 15th 2013, 10:06 PM

In the Bible it's said that suicides go to Hell, but I don't believe that. Like Katie said, someone who commits suicide isn't in the right frame of mind, and I don't believe it would make sense for someone who commits suicide to go to hell.

"What's done in the dark will be brought to the light."
Associate HelpLink Mentor

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Sammichez Offline
/人◕‿‿◕人\
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Abigail (or Abbi)

Re: Do all suicides really get sent to Hell? - July 15th 2013, 11:18 PM

The bible also says that homosexuality is a sin. Does that automatically make it true?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Do all suicides really get sent to Hell? - July 16th 2013, 01:48 AM

I don't think so. Like Abigail said, it also says homosexuality is a sin too, and yet there is nothing that damns them to hell (personally the issue of homosexuality and the church drives me away from them, its seriously upsetting for me).
The only problem with suicide is that unlike most other sins, if you succeed you won't be able to ask for forgiveness while on earth (if that's supposedly the solution to all the worlds woes and entering heaven). So by that logic, it's really one of the few "sins" where the person who did it can't ask for forgiveness in the way we expect, so therefore you have a lot of men on earth being like "yeah, it's a sin, so therefore god is sending them to hell", but yet Jesus died to forgive our sins, and that shouldn't exclude suicide. It's like no one ever considered that there might be some way for those who committed suicide to redeem themselves after death in Gods eyes. I know God has his moments of being not so kind (ex, killing Egyptian children and such), but overall, he is supposed to be forgiving too, he's supposed to care about humans and stuff, if God really knew what he was doing he'd realize that when people commit suicide it's because they're suffering, imagine being tormented for being gay, or having a serious mental illness or something where there is no end in sight and just having to end it, if God had any mercy he'd understand that a person suffering might take dramatic measures and I can't imagine him sending them to hell simply because they can't change their lives on earth.

Also there is a bit of an issue about the existence of a hell any how. The Jews don't believe in it so therefore it's in the Old Testament and I don't know if it was ever mentioned directly in the New Testament (maybe there was some abstract thing that people came up with it being?) I think they just sort of exploited the idea of a hell when people started questioning the idea what happens to the people who sinned to much to be forgiven or never recognized their mistakes (and thus got forgiven) etc., but whether you think there is a hell or not I don't think people who commit suicide go to tell

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Do all suicides really get sent to Hell? - July 16th 2013, 02:22 AM

The opinion of many of the elderly priests at my high school was that suicide is a mortal sin, and since the sinner wouldn't have to opportunity for confession and penance he would ostensibly be damned to Hell or at least Purgatory. Even if you believe in "mortal sin," "eternal punishment," etc. it seems like a rather arbitrary conclusion to me. Masturbation is also a mortal sin, so if you croak while jerkin' it, I guess it's fire and brimstone for you. What if you die on Saturday and have a whole week's worth of sin that remained unconfessed? What if you got really wasted at age 20 and committed a mortal sin that you never remembered and thus didn't confess? Silly stuff if you ask me.

Even if we grant the propositions that Hell actually exists and suicide is roughly equivalent to murder in the "Handbook of Sins," I see no reason why all people so deceased should go to Hell. If the suicide is a result of shame, public disgrace, or some other grievous imperfection of the soul it seems "Down South" would be the final destination. But what about unbearable sadness or grief? Sorrow is not the mark of a sinful being, in fact it is usually lack of feeling that characterizes the reprobate (wow, that word really just popped into my head?!). If Mary had killed herself upon the death of her son, I don't think she would have met the same fate as Judas. Then there are those who are born deformed, suffer immense physical pain, have a terminal illness, etc. To me, their "faulty construction" is no mark of a blemished soul. Why should they go to Hell for ending their pain early?

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Maeve

Re: Do all suicides really get sent to Hell? - July 16th 2013, 08:40 PM

I think the Bible does consider suicide to be murder? Which is a sin. But most people, even Christians themselves, don't believe all of the Bible (which is perplexing but another topic entirely).

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Do all suicides really get sent to Hell? - July 16th 2013, 09:26 PM

If you believe in god, then it is hard to say whether anyone can know what his will is. If you believe that suicide is a misunderstood mental illness, then do you think that it can be justified as a sin? I would lean towards it was misunderstood back then and the priests allowed their personal bias cloud their judgement.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Do all suicides really get sent to Hell? - July 16th 2013, 11:23 PM

The bible doesn't specifically say suicide is a sin; people view it as murder (or did in the past) because you are ending the life God gave you. However I think that a lot of that was based on biases or people's lack of knowledge surrounding mental illness. I personally don't think God would be angry and someone who was mentally ill and not in their right state of mind for taking their lives. I think he would be able to understand the pain and desperation they felt after all he supposed to be all-knowing and all that good stuff.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: Do all suicides really get sent to Hell? - July 22nd 2013, 07:07 PM

Is suicide a sin? Yes.

Are things like lying, lust, not putting God first, murder, homosexuality, etc also equally sins? Yes.

Does sin separate us from Heaven/God since they are perfect? Yes.

Is there a way out so sinners can still go to Heaven? Yes.

Every human has sinned, so no one deserves God.
"All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." -Romans 3:23

Every human deserves to be punished for their sins by dying and going to hell.
"The wages of sin is death." -Romans 6:23

God sent His perfect Son, Jesus, to Earth to be nailed to a wooden cross and killed to take the punishment for our sins for us, so we can be free to go to Heaven. He did this because He loves us.
"God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." -Romans 5:8

On the third day after Jesus died, God brought Him back to life, defeating our sins forever.
"Christ Jesus is He who died, yes, rather who was raised." -Romans 8:34

Anyone who accepts this gift by believing that they are a sinner who Jesus died to save and repenting (a word which means turning your mind to acknowledge that sin is bad and God is good- although you will probably still mess up here and there) will be saved once and for all, forever. You will be born again, meaning your soul will be born into God's family and be given a second chance.
"If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved." -Romans 10:9

In other words, if a person has been saved from sin once and for all before their death, they will go to Heaven regardless of how they died. Does that make suicide okay? No. But, some Christians do get caught up in sin after becoming a Christian and yes they are still saved.

*I will not be replying to any debates; only questions from people who have a serious interest in knowing about God.*

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Do all suicides really get sent to Hell? - July 23rd 2013, 01:54 AM

Personally, I don't think they go to Hell since the previous posters are right that the person wasn't in the right state of mind when the sin was committed. I also hear how forgiving and such God is, so shouldn't he end up forgiving?
But I went to a funeral recently and even though I don't understand much of the religious stuff, one thing they had asked is that his sins are forgiven as well, so I'd assume that if they are a religious person something similar would be said at some point or another about them.
I think they'd be forgiven.
But, again, as another poster pointed out not everyone believes every section of the Bible, either, so it could all be up to your own opinion and views.

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
vrgtfvgt4vg Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Do all suicides really get sent to Hell? - July 23rd 2013, 05:46 AM

I'll just say this now.

If your God created a world where people are so anguished they kill themselves, and then your God sends them to hell, then your God is an asshole who no one should believe in.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Despair. Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: InDiA

Re: Do all suicides really get sent to Hell? - July 23rd 2013, 06:08 AM

Most people who commit suicide are not in there right mind, I don't think god would punish some one for that

the girl who always seemed unbreakble finally
BROKE
the girl who seemed strong
CRUMBLED
the girl who always laughed
CRIED
the girl who never stopped trying finally
GAVE UP

she let her fake smile fade and as she did a tear rolled down her cheek and she whispered

' i can't do this anymore'

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Muffin Cake Offline
Madman with a Box
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Brian

Re: Do all suicides really get sent to Hell? - July 23rd 2013, 01:24 PM

Now I'm no priest or pastor, but from what I understand sin does not automatically mean you're going to end up in hell. As long as you repent from your sins and accept Christ as your savior, you will go to heaven.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Muffin Cake 
Closed Thread