TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Iloveliam Offline
One direction luv
Not a n00b

Name: Abbey

Is it a sin - August 23rd 2013, 11:36 PM

Hi I wanted to know if masterbating is a sin because I know sex before marriage is but no one every days anything about masterbating please I would like to know

Thanx,Abbey

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Is it a sin - August 24th 2013, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazup View Post
Hi I wanted to know if masterbating is a sin because I know sex before marriage is but no one every days anything about masterbating please I would like to know

Thanx,Abbey
Masturbating is PROBABLY a sin if it causes lust.

Jesus said:
"You have heard the commandment that says, 'You must not commit adultery.' But I say, anyone who even looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart." (Matt. 5:27-28)

However, some of this is debatable. Where it says "woman" the Greek word means "wife." So, Jesus COULD be saying that if you look after a married person with lust, you are committing adultery (which makes sense). The issue arises when you look at how the same Greek word is used in various contexts. In other contexts it DEFINITELY means woman, and not wife.

In my opinion, if you feel guilty, just avoid it. If you don't, go to town.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Is it a sin - August 24th 2013, 02:22 AM

Hi Abbey,

Michael gave the explanation I was going to give and I agree with him on this subject.
if you feel guilt about doing it, than do not put yourself through that guilt. If you do not feel guilt and you are not being lustful while doing it than the choice is your choice to make.
Some Christians believe absolutely no masturbation should be tolerated at all in no way or form and others believe it is fine as long as the person is not doing it for intentions that is separating them from God and connecting the person with desiring other people over Him.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
cherrypie36 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: meris

Re: Is it a sin - August 24th 2013, 03:38 AM

my thing is ...if it feels good and gives you relief. why should it even matter?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Catharsis. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Is it a sin - August 24th 2013, 06:10 PM

To the best of my knowledge, masturbation is never explicitly mentioned in the Bible. It can tie in with lust, which, as mentioned, is a sin. A catechism produced by the Catholic Church, however, condemns masturbation as a grave sin. So, really, it probably depends on the views of whatever denomination you belong to. That being said, Michael gave good advice when he said to avoid it if it makes you feel guilty. Otherwise, knock yourself out, kid.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Catharsis. 
Closed Thread