TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FixYou♥ Offline
I can't get enough

Name: taylor

Arrow Science question: Just saw a weird light "fall" from the sky? - October 27th 2013, 01:46 AM

Okay guys. Hi. Yeah I know, a science question for once. Help me out. Tonight my mom and I were coming home, the sky was very dark, and I was looking out the window. As we approached the top of this hill, the "skyline" of our tiny town came into view, and seconds later near the horizon, this ball of light green light was falling from the sky, and after decreasing in size, it disappeared right before finding the horizon line. Now, I've seen what a shooting star looks like, though I can't remember whether or not I've seen one happen with my own eyes, but I know that this was no shooting star, at least I don't think so, and I explained it to my parents and they don't think it was either. I mean seriously, shooting stars don't have a green tint in them, and certainly aren't this circular or large, and this didn't have much of a stream following it, or a tail, I don't know what you'd call it. Another thing is, I was looking out of my window long before I spotted this in the distance, so if it would have been a shooting star, wouldn't I have seen it long before, traveling across the sky before finding the horizon?

I feel like I'm going crazy, but I know what I saw. I live in the Midwest USA area, in the country, so I don't know if its common to see weird things like this or not around here... Just imagine a shooting star, but 4 times bigger, no tail on it, and more like a glowing light rather than a star. And it got smaller, before vanishing. Like. Isn't that a little weird. It probably was moving farther away, but it seemed like it was shrinking! And green-looking....

I don't deny other life outside of our planet, though I'm a realist and sometimes need to see it or feel it to believe it, but I also am not going to sit here and think that it might have been a UFO. Like, I would prefer some actual scientific explanation on this. Shooting stars are usually like lines, literally they look like stars that are falling, and they travel across the sky. Meteor showers look like tons of shooting stars, so I'm throwing that idea out a window because there was only one light, resembling nothing of a shooting star. Maybe could it have been a comet, or a falling satellite? It just... it seemed huge!

... I'm not crazy
No seriously though, any ideas on what this was?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Twinkie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Science question: Just saw a weird light "fall" from the sky? - October 27th 2013, 01:54 AM

Watch ancient aliens on history channel sometime...other than a ufo it could have been a plane....crash , maybe?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Chaotic mind...
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Pathetic person

Re: Science question: Just saw a weird light "fall" from the sky? - October 27th 2013, 11:20 AM

After a simple search on the internet, I think they're called Sporadic meteor or something. A special kind of meteor that produces a green-ish tint when coming into atmosphere.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Science question: Just saw a weird light "fall" from the sky? - October 27th 2013, 09:24 PM

Is this what you saw? http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_flash

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Science question: Just saw a weird light "fall" from the sky? - October 28th 2013, 08:06 PM

It was a meteor, as aforementioned. Bear and mind meteors vary in size, so it could've been a larger meteor. However, that's not likely. It might have been where it fell. You said it was near the skyline. If this is the case it can make objects in the sky appear bigger, for example, the moon sometimes looks enormous dependent on where its located in the sky and what's in view at the time. If there surrounding objects, buildings, etc. it would make it appear bigger than if it were just in the open. It also is dependent on the light outside. More than likely, though, it was a meteor.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

Closed Thread