TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Have you ever been with someone who has converted? - November 5th 2013, 09:50 AM

My girlfriend recently converted from Atheism to Christianity, and it's been difficult for me to accept (not only because it's a huge lifestyle change, but she went from zero beliefs to evangelist in the space of two weeks).

I'm just curious if anyone has ever experienced a situation where their partner or former partner has converted (from atheism to theism or from one religion to another)? What were your experiences? How did you find it, adjusting to the change?

Thanks,

Mitch

Because in the end, it doesn't even matter.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Have you ever been with someone who has converted? - November 5th 2013, 04:07 PM

I have never experienced something like this personally. But I can imagine how it would change the relationship! Have you talked to her about this? Which things in particular are you having a difficult time with?

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Have you ever been with someone who has converted? - November 5th 2013, 10:33 PM

I have not, but I completely understand how it can be problematic. Personally, I don't normally date religious people, so if my partner were to convert it'd be interesting. I think it'd depend on his level of religion. If he were to start believing in god or in gods, but didn't expect me to convert and if he hadn't changeed any fundamental justice or political belief (if he were to become pro-life, anti-gay, or anything else that differs a lot from me) I'd be able to accept it. I can date somebody who believes in a deity; I can't date a bible thumper. How evangelical has she become?

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
JustACityBoy Offline
Telemachus
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Carl

Re: Have you ever been with someone who has converted? - November 6th 2013, 02:30 AM

Most of the student peers I grew up with converted from Christianity or Buddhism to Atheism.
They were the same back then, and they are the same now.

One of the most logical people I know, who accepts evolution as viable evidence/free will/ every argument against God, calls himself a Christian.

It sounds impossible. A guy that seems atheist that is actually Christian.

Religion is only a minor reflection of a person.

I wouldn't date a literal bible thumper either, because of their ignorance.
The best type of Christians are the ones that aren't ignorant, who choose to believe in God in spite of evidence.
Some stupid ass Christians deny evidence, refuse to learn other perspectives, or make exceptions. It's not because of their religion, it's because of their personality.

Like I said before, religion is only a minor reflection of a person.

What lies ahead is unknown. However, in some times, I've sighted several smooth pavements. I myself am the mender of roads, and it is with these we work on.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Twinge Offline
Forever we'll just lay here
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Vint Fall

Re: Have you ever been with someone who has converted? - November 6th 2013, 03:54 AM

I have been through this experience several times. Can't say it's either comfortable or easy to adjust. At times it's irritable because your partner suddenly sounds like a different person.
My examples are Agnosticism > Christianity, reversed and Atheism > Paganism.
Change is good in any case but for those who are with that other person presumably got used to their old character. I admit changing religion/belief is at the same time transforming your philosophy on life and general attitude.

It also depends on how this person views belief and a certain religion. Many convert today not knowing what they're really getting into which certainly irritates me. Though if someone is mature about their decision plus they know all aspects of what belief they choose, acceptation comes with time. Not that it's easy with a person like me. Not all of my experiences listed above ended with peace; because it's strange seeing a great lifestyle choice move somewhere else.
Like when you compare the real argument of Agnostics even, or Atheists, it's impossible suspecting they could ever convert or go back to an organized religion that's flawed, bearing no evidence. But all in all, and in the end, I'm told some people can't be happy without some faith in their life.

I moved back while
my head was turned.

Upside down
closer to the end.

Afraid of the dark
within future times.

I'm drowning there,
my final chase.

Closed Thread