TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jays Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jamie Sue

Red face Is there something wrong with me? - March 20th 2014, 01:25 PM

I lost faith in God when I 7. He was never there for me when i need him the most. I prayed and he never answered. I dont know if something that i wasnt doing or what.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
gdheiwmow Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Is there something wrong with me? - March 20th 2014, 06:31 PM

Perhaps you were praying to the wrong one, if you even believe in one at all. That was the case for me when I was still a little kid. Now that I have had time to experiment with many different paths, I have found the gods who answer when I call.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: Is there something wrong with me? - March 20th 2014, 07:39 PM

Maybe what you weren't doing was having enough belief in yourself, and your own ability to get yourself through a situation. Or maybe even you weren't having enough belief in the willingness of others to help you - and I mean humans, real friends, rather than an imaginary one.

As you can probably gather, I'm very much a Humanist - so I can't really speak for getting a god to respond to you. I can, however, advocate the idea that you are a really wonderful, fantastic human - which means that you have the ability to help yourself, even if you can't get any supernatural help. I'm not saying that you can't believe in a god, but perhaps consider that you're not doing anything wrong except being misled by the people who introduced you to a god who can't answer a prayer because it doesn't exist? And on that basis, you can do things on your own, or with other, real humans. You know, humans are pretty amazing; we all have difficult times in our lives, and we all have the ability to get through them, albeit sometimes with help from other humans. Our determination to help ourselves is pretty incredible if you put it to the test, though.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Is there something wrong with me? - March 20th 2014, 10:21 PM

I don't really believe in praying..... Bear with me here ok.

Bad things happened in my life a few years ago. My ex boyfriend was extremely controlling and manipulative (I consider that abusive but I hesitate to say that here in case you get the wrong idea), 2 men tried to rape me (thank god I can throw a punch!), I was on academic probation and I still have mental health issues.... If there's a God why did (s)he make me go through that? Well, looking back, yes, it all sucked but it made me a stronger person, it made me realize that education isn't the centre of my universe, I am constantly on the go and I have a really good future ahead of me because I learned how to trust myself and fight for what I wanted

I think sometimes people think they shouldn't have to suffer, that they're "benevolent, loving" God should just spirit them away from a bad situation when that's not true. Things suck sometimes and, to be honest, you have to go through that sometimes.... You have choices, you can choose to crumble, to be resentful and so on... But you can also choose to look back and be like "ok, how can I learn from this, how does this make a difference?" you can look back on the things that happened to you and learn from it. If things are always easy for you it doesn't challenge you to grow like it does if you have to struggle to get through something because you never learn to challenge yourself at all....

So yeah, it sucks... But I don't think that God should have to "answer your prayers" because sometimes you are better off for the experiences you have, even when they suck... And why should God have to stop your suffering if there is something to be learned from it?

Now, that being said, I have no idea what bad things happened to you. I'm not even saying you need to sitll believe in God (I don't believe, I'm agnostic because I am open to their being "something" out there but do not believe in the Christian God)... So if you truly don't believe in God that's ok, loads of people are happy, fulfilled and successful without a god. But I would think it is sad if the only reason you stopped believing in God was because you felt that (s)he abandoned you. This is why I think you should critically examine your own perception of your life - if you're still angry, upset or resentful about what happened then that will affect you're perception of God if you need someone/something to blame for bad things.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#5 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Not Michael

Re: Is there something wrong with me? - March 22nd 2014, 06:04 AM

Intercessory prayer is ineffective. If you're basing a belief on whether Intercessory prayer works, it's very possible that you will become an atheist.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Failed Offline
My friends are dead and gone
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Arya

Re: Is there something wrong with me? - April 4th 2014, 06:59 AM

No. There isn't.
You just stopped having faith in your religion.
It's not a bad thing, it's not a good thing, it just...is.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
THE FAPMAN Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mr. Fap

Re: Is there something wrong with me? - April 4th 2014, 09:15 AM

I agree with Wallflower.
I prayed when i was little and god never said sh*t. Thats why i made my own god. My god has a beer in one hand, a joint in the other, looking from his throne and watching the show. The good guys come to sit by him and enjoy with him and the bad ones just dissapear, waiting for a new respawn.
you can be an atheist as well. Dont believe in the idea of god? Fine by a lot of people. Dont believe in god. No one can force you to believe something you dont want to.
Enjoy

Closed Thread