TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
livingdeadboy Offline
Average Joe

my testimony - November 6th 2014, 11:41 PM

Okay so, I've been back for a few months now after an absence from 2009-2012. I figured it was time to post my story.
Some of you may remember me as chevyguy; I was arrested on Dec 17, 2009 and spent four years in jail. First off, none of us is a saint, so don't condemn me for that.
I began my search for that higher power in 2010, experimenting with Wicca, luciferian satanism, levayan satanism, christianity, shamanism, spiritualism, and Norse paganism. None of it worked for me; not the bible, the quaran, or any holy book. I found what I wanted in a novel, instead. I was reading about two books a day daily, and I started reading Stephen King's dark tower series. Of, course, this is no holy book, but it brought up a point that has stuck with me ever since: what's the difference between jehova, ashterah, Zeus, God, and Allah? A name. That's all.
This had been a life changing view for me, though I identify as a Sumerian pagan; but that is only pertinent to the matter as far as rituals go. All religions have a heaven and a hell, they all use prayer and rituals, they all demand a belief in a higher power. Perhaps Jesus said it all in two simple words, "I am." Notice he didn't say who he is, just that he IS.
My point? There is wisdom in ALL religions, so open your mind. Labels are dangerous, they've caused countless wars throughout history. Humanity needs to ditch the labels.
My journey had taught me much; forgiveness of ignorance, love of mankind, and reverence towards the higher power.

"And will I tell you that these three lived happily ever after? I will not, for no one ever does. But there was happiness. And they did live." - Stephen King
never's the word God listens for when he needs a laugh.- Stephen King

Battles that last five minutes spawn legends that live a thousand years.
Stephen King, The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower, #7)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: my testimony - November 7th 2014, 01:49 AM

I do remember you! Your username sounds so familiar, but I don't think we've ever talked. The past is in the past and I'm so glad you're on a better path now.

On to the topic of this, I actually had a similar realisation. I realised that we all look to the same God, it's just the name and way we perceive His values that are different between religions. I hope that makes sense. I mean that there is truly only one God, it's just that everyone sees Him differently. Personally I do not believe in any religion or in God, but I do support almost all religions because I wish I could have faith myself.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Not Michael

Re: my testimony - November 7th 2014, 04:08 AM

Why does there have to be a "higher power"? What wisdom is there in appealing to something that you can't demonstrate exists in the first place?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
livingdeadboy Offline
Average Joe

Re: my testimony - November 7th 2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBodySpirit View Post
Why does there have to be a "higher power"? What wisdom is there in appealing to something that you can't demonstrate exists in the first place?
Sorry guy, but check out the ancient Sumerian tablets sometime. Also, you might want to check out ancient cave at from around the world-judge for yourself the implications, I'm not here to preach, but I do believe we have been visited by extraterrestrials in the past and that some of them masqueraded as gods. I also believe in a real higher power called by some "the all" and by others the spinozan god

"And will I tell you that these three lived happily ever after? I will not, for no one ever does. But there was happiness. And they did live." - Stephen King

(#5 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: my testimony - November 8th 2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingdeadboy View Post
Sorry guy, but check out the ancient Sumerian tablets sometime.
I'm sorry, but do you not remember me disputing the claims in the sumerian tablets just a short time ago? They're not good evidence for ANYTHING, let alone a "higher power."

Quote:
Also, you might want to check out ancient cave at from around the world-judge for yourself the implications,
I'm not sure if this sentence actually makes sense. Maybe you just made an error, but I honestly can't tell what you're saying here.

Quote:
I'm not here to preach, but
No, but I answered you a direct question, and you tried to avoid it by changing the topic.

Quote:
I do believe we have been visited by extraterrestrials in the past and that some of them masqueraded as gods.
Great. I'm glad you have beliefs. Good for you. Just don't expect anybody to take you seriously unless you can back up your beliefs with evidence.

Quote:
I also believe in a real higher power called by some "the all" and by others the spinozan god
Again, it's cool that you have your beliefs. I just don't think you have a good reason to believe it.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
livingdeadboy Offline
Average Joe

Re: my testimony - November 8th 2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, but do you not remember me disputing the claims in the sumerian tablets just a short time ago? They're not good evidence for ANYTHING, let alone a "higher power."

I'm not sure if this sentence actually makes sense. Maybe you just made an error, but I honestly can't tell what you're saying here.

No, but I answered you a direct question, and you tried to avoid it by changing the topic.

Great. I'm glad you have beliefs. Good for you. Just don't expect anybody to take you seriously unless you can back up your beliefs with evidence.

Again, it's cool that you have your beliefs. I just don't think you have a good reason to believe it.
Always the skeptic, eh?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: my testimony - November 8th 2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Always the skeptic, eh?
Yes, I'm a skeptic. Non-belief should be the default position. You should always withhold belief until sufficient evidence is presented that something is either true or likely true.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
livingdeadboy Offline
Average Joe

Re: my testimony - November 8th 2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Yes, I'm a skeptic. Non-belief should be the default position. You should always withhold belief until sufficient evidence is presented that something is either true or likely true.
That's a matter of personal opinion. As for me, I look at the universe and see something bigger than us. And there comes a point when regardless of the facts, one must believe something and stand for something, least he fall for anything. One might ask, is it more plausible that there is a real, sentient, personal god as told in conventional religion, or that extraterrestrial entities visited earth and were believed by ancient man to be supernatural beings? I prefer the latter. But that by no means precludes spirituality. My god? Nothing. Everything. Me. You. Earth. The universe. The all. Is it sentient? Perhaps, but does it really matter? I believe not. Heaven and hell? Each a state of mind. Life after death? I believe in it, based on personal experiences. How does science explain it? I don't much care. Some things don't need explaining. Some things are beyond our ability to comprehend.

Closed Thread